Options

The result of this [love] thread is pointedly clear

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah I was thinking the same sort of thing. I've just booked a 2 person Escape Room session, I'll offer to watch the kids while he and his wife go. I think they might have done one before but hopefully not this one.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Or maybe he'd like to do it with you?

• Options
    Apparently it's National Siblings Day over here, and as part of my recent plan to improve my outlook, I gave him Facebook props.
    One step at a time.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I was thinking the same sort of thing. I've just booked a 2 person Escape Room session, I'll offer to watch the kids while he and his wife go. I think they might have done one before but hopefully not this one.

I really want to do one but it's so far outside my realm of experience that somehow I don't even know how to go about getting to that point

How do people even do new things

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There was a limited run of Zelda-themed escape rooms and I thought those would've been my in

It seems like a lot of escape rooms require actual knowledge about like, math and science, and I don't know those things, I know dumb shit like how Zelda puzzles work

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There was a limited run of Zelda-themed escape rooms and I thought those would've been my in

It seems like a lot of escape rooms require actual knowledge about like, math and science, and I don't know those things, I know dumb shit like how Zelda puzzles work

oh.. really? :/

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    None of the escape rooms I've done have required external knowledge, there'd always be something in the room to give you the answer.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if an escape room needs you to have external information to escape, that's a bad escape room.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Wait no. You usually need to know how to read.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I need to know how to what?!?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

I really want to do one but it's so far outside my realm of experience that somehow I don't even know how to go about getting to that point

How do people even do new things

I just googled it. Found one really close to home that is highly reviewed which was lucky.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah google is how I have gotten into everything from climbing to swordfighting.

Google is rad.

• Options
    I mean this is Vegas, there has to be a ton. Our friends were talking about maybe doing an escape room together with us as a double date and that just sounds like an amazing idea to me, especially since she's better at making phone calls and reservations and generally being a functional human being.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019
    One of my friends is an escape room tester, I can ask him what he recommends in Vegas

I thought I wouldn't enjoy escape rooms because I don't like being timed on things, but actually in the half dozen I've done, it's always been really easy to just immediately focus on the puzzles and doing fun weird stuff together.

edit: I wanted to tell an anecdote about one of the last ones I did, but technically it's also a room spoiler and we have enough boston peeps around that people might prefer not to hear about it. Pretend I told a story and it was good.

tynic on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I would never have thought to do an escape room in Vegas.

Then again I don't know what anyone does in vegas other than spend all of their money.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    My girlfriend is out of town for the week

What do people...do

I am on day 2 and I have today and tomorrow off of work with literally nothing to do

What do people do

Skype with my boyfriend usually

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    One of my friends is an escape room tester, I can ask him what he recommends in Vegas

I thought I wouldn't enjoy escape rooms because I don't like being timed on things, but actually in the half dozen I've done, it's always been really easy to just immediately focus on the puzzles and doing fun weird stuff together.

edit: I wanted to tell an anecdote about one of the last ones I did, but technically it's also a room spoiler and we have enough boston peeps around that people might prefer not to hear about it. Pretend I told a story and it was good.

That's hilarious! Good one.

I'll chime in and say the Escape Room was a fun date night and I'm definitely planning to do it again now that we've done it once and gotten a feel for it.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    In my experience the worst thing in an escape room is to go in with too much outside knowledge. You wind up overthinking the puzzles.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Then again I don't know what anyone does in vegas other than spend all of their money.

I mean... that's basically it

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    The only time I went to an escape room, there was a bookshelf and one book's binding said "Freedom"

I flipped through it and in a perfectly cut out spot sat the key to unlock the door

my friends got mad at me for bypassing the puzzles, but I feel like the fault was with the people who designed the room

like, how on the nose can you get

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My personal preference for escape room sort of things is the Exit series of board games.

They're like fifteen bucks a pop, and do a pretty good job of setting up 1-2 hours of escape room style puzzles and stuff. They're very clever - I've played the two I've played with three of my closest friends, and I'd say all of us are pretty good at puzzles (and have different specialties and ways of thinking and stuff), and we've been stumped by both of them for at least a bit. But the cool thing is, when you get stuck, they have these complicated systems of cards that you can draw to get multiple layers of hints, which range from "You shouldn't be doing this puzzle yet, you haven't found all the clues for it, focus your efforts elsewhere" to "Have you thought about combining this with these other cards that you have?" to "This is the solution." We've only ever really needed that first one, which is really nice when you get stuck obsessing about some dumb bullshit.

The one downside, I guess, is that they're not replayable - they'll frequently have you tearing up bits and pieces of cards and the rulebook, and even if you don't do that, you'll probably remember the puzzles. But fifteen dollars for a couple hours of entertainment for four people has been extremely worth it, and if we didn't shred them in the process, we probably could give them to some other friends or a thrift store or whatever.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The only time I went to an escape room, there was a bookshelf and one book's binding said "Freedom"

I flipped through it and in a perfectly cut out spot sat the key to unlock the door

my friends got mad at me for bypassing the puzzles, but I feel like the fault was with the people who designed the room

like, how on the nose can you get

Should have strung them along a bit. Maybe pocketed the key and then pointed out the empty book. Let them stew over it for a while.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have a friend in my group of friends who gets super competitive and also doesn't like when people are smarter or faster or better than him at a puzzle.

He has asked us to do an escape room but no one will do it with him because it'd just be an agonizing hour of him bellyaching about us not "working as a team" (read: not letting him tell us how to solve puzzles). The worst part is he's not even good at solving puzzles, so he'd sit there and spin his wheels then get upset when we solve it and he wasn't the reason why. (He's awful at BotW puzzles that someone wanted help with)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I have a friend in my group of friends who gets super competitive and also doesn't like when people are smarter or faster or better than him at a puzzle.

He has asked us to do an escape room but no one will do it with him because it'd just be an agonizing hour of him bellyaching about us not "working as a team" (read: not letting him tell us how to solve puzzles). The worst part is he's not even good at solving puzzles, so he'd sit there and spin his wheels then get upset when we solve it and he wasn't the reason why. (He's awful at BotW puzzles that someone wanted help with)

Wow do I ever have no time for that

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Pinball hall of fame.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    My first escape room was with friends in Baton Rouge in an egyptian tomb themed archaeology run. the puzzles involved some wordplay, matching symbols w/ process of elimination, one of the last ones was a light/mirror match up. One puzzle was that you had to match vials with the description of a fragrance; each vial had a cologne applied to it. unfortunately one was labeled camel dung, it smelled real bad, and stuck with my hands for the rest of the day.

The girl running it said no one had finished on time, and gave us about 10 more minutes because we were so close to being the first (had basically 1-2 more puzzles to do at the timer). maybe that was a lie, but there were like 12 puzzles to do and the first one took forever to get by to the rest of the room. we blitzed through the second room once everything started to come together.

Kruite on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Escape... Room?

But I like Rooms

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My personal preference for escape room sort of things is the Exit series of board games.

They're like fifteen bucks a pop, and do a pretty good job of setting up 1-2 hours of escape room style puzzles and stuff. They're very clever - I've played the two I've played with three of my closest friends, and I'd say all of us are pretty good at puzzles (and have different specialties and ways of thinking and stuff), and we've been stumped by both of them for at least a bit. But the cool thing is, when you get stuck, they have these complicated systems of cards that you can draw to get multiple layers of hints, which range from "You shouldn't be doing this puzzle yet, you haven't found all the clues for it, focus your efforts elsewhere" to "Have you thought about combining this with these other cards that you have?" to "This is the solution." We've only ever really needed that first one, which is really nice when you get stuck obsessing about some dumb bullshit.

The one downside, I guess, is that they're not replayable - they'll frequently have you tearing up bits and pieces of cards and the rulebook, and even if you don't do that, you'll probably remember the puzzles. But fifteen dollars for a couple hours of entertainment for four people has been extremely worth it, and if we didn't shred them in the process, we probably could give them to some other friends or a thrift store or whatever.

Yeah, these are great! I've actually only done one (The Abandoned Cabin, I think), but it was lots of fun. Even just off that one experience, alone, I would highly recommend these.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Escape... Room?

But I like Rooms

i love the room

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019

So the same friend who is very much into escape rooms is also a heavy boardgamer, but he has very PARTICULAR tastes. It's always a struggle to know what to get him for his birthday.
    I will check with his girlfriend in case he has an opinion on Exit for some reason, but you may have just given us all a solid 2-5 years of gifts.

edit: one friend did a room a few months back which required him to eat a mystery substance. They stalled out for ten minutes because he was like "there is no way any game designer expects me to put an unknown powder into my mouth, right?" Eventually someone popped on the intercom to confirm yes, eat it.

(it was salt)
    (he still thinks this was bullshit)

tynic on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cabin is one of the ones I've done too!

Big spoilers for EXIT: The Abandoned Cabin
    The place we got stuck there was, as you might expect if you've played it before, the letter scramble puzzle. Through a series of other clues, you get the letters ABCDEOR given to you, and you need to, y'know, unscramble them and figure out what they mean. Two of my friends insisted that they we needed to solve a different part before we could do that one, we clearly didn't have enough information, while I got stuck on the word BROCADE - I was looking through all the pictures of the room and counting various amounts of fabric, checking which windows had curtains and which didn't, and so on.

Meanwhile, the last person is just kind of quietly sitting there - one of the puzzles is math and the other is language, and she's more of our art and spatial reasoning person. But while I'm counting trying to determine what cloth various curtains might be made out of, she picks up the box, flips it over, and pulls the correct answer to the puzzle from the BARCODE.

I think that's the moment that really cemented the series as being a good one for us - we could all be doing the same puzzle and end up with different solutions, or easily split up to work on different puzzles and bring our answers back together.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Cabin is one of the ones I've done too!

Big spoilers for EXIT: The Abandoned Cabin
    The place we got stuck there was, as you might expect if you've played it before, the letter scramble puzzle. Through a series of other clues, you get the letters ABCDEOR given to you, and you need to, y'know, unscramble them and figure out what they mean. Two of my friends insisted that they we needed to solve a different part before we could do that one, we clearly didn't have enough information, while I got stuck on the word BROCADE - I was looking through all the pictures of the room and counting various amounts of fabric, checking which windows had curtains and which didn't, and so on.

Meanwhile, the last person is just kind of quietly sitting there - one of the puzzles is math and the other is language, and she's more of our art and spatial reasoning person. But while I'm counting trying to determine what cloth various curtains might be made out of, she picks up the box, flips it over, and pulls the correct answer to the puzzle from the BARCODE.

I think that's the moment that really cemented the series as being a good one for us - we could all be doing the same puzzle and end up with different solutions, or easily split up to work on different puzzles and bring our answers back together.

That's exactly what got us, too.
    We were so stuck on that stupid scramble. And, for some reason, even though we knew it was nonsense, we could not get off BEARCOD, like some sort of giant fuzzy fish. My buddy and I were working on that while the ladies did another puzzle, but we had to set it down to move on and work on something else. Eventually we were all working on it and still couldn't get past BEARCOD. We knew it didn't make any sense but that was the only thing we could get to that made even close to a sensible word.

After we solved it with use of clues, we all laughed and laughed and laughed. BEARCOD still cracks us up if one of us just randomly says it and shakes their head. After we solved it, I remember something about the shape of the scramble, or something like that, being familiar, but I couldn't place it at all. If I recall, the spacing of the scrambled letters also resembles the spacing of the barcode from the box.

It was such a good evening.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I did an escape room a few weeks ago

It was a solve the murder find the confession themed thing

The first clue we found made no sense, and we had to radio for guidance

And then the hint made no sense either

After about half of the time, we started solving the puzzles

The walls were painted black, there was red writing on the walls

You couldn't really read it at all with the provided glow sticks

I hope they redesign it

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have played the Exit games, they are indeed fun.

I have enjoyed one amazing escape room, one decent one, and one terrible one.

The amazing one was really cool. I will describe it if no one plans to go to London to do one!

• Options
    The one time I did an escape room, I went with a family I knew. The kids got so into jumping around from thing to thing, I just stood in the back and tried to figure out some map thingy. Turns out the key point to that room was not getting everyone working on the puzzles, but rather to subdivide into teams to work puzzles simultaneously.
    Whoops, we won.

• Options
    Rooms are the only thing protecting us from... Having to go. .. Out.

I would much prefer a stay room.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Unlocked! is another escaperoom-esque game series that is card and app based. Some of the boxes will have additional pieces.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

An inscape room!

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »

An inscape room!
    Breaking and entering?

But seriously you'd have a lot of people just trying to get in through windows haha. Or amature Locksmiths showing off.

You know though... What if you recreated a deus ex level? Man sized vents and all...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Giant styrofoam vending machines you move around to block line of sight while you go through everyones desk, steal their lunch money, and read their one page diary

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.