Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    You disappoint me, Amazon. SD only for I Come in Peace (aka Dark Angel)? You can do better.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Speaking of movies we used to think were good, I had fond memories of Ace Ventura, but having caught it recently on cable holy hell is that movie problematic. It is not kind to the LGBTQ community, to put it lightly.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Watched The Wandering Earth on Netflix. I have to agree with whoever said that it felt like the live-action adaptation of a 26-episode anime.

It's... eh. Like I came for disaster movie nonsense and I couldn't believe how much crazy it left on the table without playing. They kept eluding to a Moment of Maximum Carnage in the climax (that would happen if their plan succeeded, even) that never happened and it bummed me out.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Speaking of movies we used to think were good, I had fond memories of Ace Ventura, but having caught it recently on cable holy hell is that movie problematic. It is not kind to the LGBTQ community, to put it lightly.

Ace Ventura is a movie that comes up fairly often as being extremely problematic to the point where several trans woman have talked about how much it negatively affected them and it literally has a section on its wikipedia page for the transgender portrayal.

Most movies of that era might have transphobic jokes or characters, but Ace Ventura makes the transphobia pretty important to the story and a lot of jokes

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The twist in Ace Ventura should have been Ventura teaming up with the villain in exchange for the dolphin getting sent to a better environment than being a mascot in a tank for a sports teams.

Or make it a harrowing tale about him kidnapping the dolphin and pinning it on a trans woman

Edit: one of the annoying things is when someone decides to defend the movie by saying the character was not trans because they just disguised themself as a woman and stole her identity because absolutely almost no cis people in the audience gave a fuck about that difference or would even notice it

Couscous on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The sequel is also more than the littlest bit racist.

Despite that... my nostalgia stops me from hating them. They should probably just be quietly forgotten by newer generations.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The Godfather Part II is also still magnificent.

I have no doubt when we watch the third movie next weekend that it will remain perfectly acceptable but weak and stupid. The third part is the Fredo of the trilogy.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You mean tragic and deserving of sympathy?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Edit: one of the annoying things is when someone decides to defend the movie by saying the character was not trans because they just disguised themself as a woman and stole her identity because absolutely almost no cis people in the audience gave a fuck about that difference or would even notice it

That is always where my mind goes, too

But then I remember the massively over the top reaction everybody had to kissing Finkle/Einhorn, and also how the trans community have to deal with people thinking that they're trying to "trap" men into having sex with them, and I decide that no, it's still a shitty plot point

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »

They’re also both examples of nepotism promoting those unqualified for their position.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

They’re also both examples of nepotism promoting those unqualified for their position.

They should have got someone better, sure, but she was a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder. Her bailing on the movie is what have us Dracula. Another okay film with really good stuff in it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Why the hell isn't King of the Kickboxers, or any of Billy Blanks fun martial arts flicks, available streaming or on BR? It's a conspiracy I tell you.

And now I have to see if Best of the Best is streaming.

Edit - Why the hell didnt King of the Kickboxers show up on the PS4 app last night, but does show as Prime on my phone?!?!?!

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Godfather Part II is also still magnificent.

I have no doubt when we watch the third movie next weekend that it will remain perfectly acceptable but weak and stupid. The third part is the Fredo of the trilogy.
    just when you thought you didn't have to watch Part III again, it pulls you back in

• Options
    There were plans for a fourth, apparently, with a young Sonny being inducted into the family trade in the twenties while Vincent's reign led to the final downfall of the family in the coke-snorting eighties.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Watching people stan a global megacorp is bad enough; watching them do so when that global megacorp actively chooses to erase and ignore them is pathetic and sad. Disney does not like or respect LGBT audiences. It does not believe LGBT characters belong in its movies. It will happily take their money, though, and as long as it continues to do so, it will continue to consider its absurd tokenism and vague allegories and Rainbow Day at Disneyland to be good enough.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Why the hell isn't King of the Kickboxers, or any of Billy Blanks fun martial arts flicks, available streaming or on BR? It's a conspiracy I tell you.

And now I have to see if Best of the Best is streaming.

Edit - Why the hell didnt King of the Kickboxers show up on the PS4 app last night, but does show as Prime on my phone?!?!?!

Yeah, King of the Kickboxers is on Prime and on Youtube. I've watched it on both in recent months.

• Options
    Watching it right now, @Ketar, watching it right now. Still absurdly fun after all these years. Now to find Guyver 2: Dark Hero.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    had more to say about Detective Pikachu in its own thread here but overall a good movie that needed more humor, loses its sense of purpose at the end of the second act, and was a good movie I don't care to watch again but would love to see the world in another movie or TV show format.

Action Point (Amazon Prime) was decent for a streaming movie, more plot than Bad Grandpa and you can see Johnny Knoxville seems to like dressing up like an old person because you have a rather unnecessary framing device of him babysitting his granddaughter to tell the story of how he ran a bare bones safety-free amusement park in the 70's. It's 75 minutes so it's not overstaying its welcome, but there's not as much Jackass type stuff going on with the rides as you would expect. On the plus side, it has a beer who drinks beer and liquor. On the minus side, it shows Rottweilers having sex and you throw up a little in your mouth. It has a bigger amount of Chris Pontius than I would have expected compared to everyone not Knoxville or his teen daughter (who does a good job and you couldn't even tell she's british), almost feels like he got more time here because he wasn't in Bad Grandpa.

It's not gonna set the world on fire but a good time killer movie you don't need your full attention for.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I watched The Duff this morning. It was a charming little movie.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I watched The Duff this morning. It was a charming little movie.

"Even my car's a DUFF!"

That line briefly made me self-conscious of my own car.

• Options
    When the hell did Prime get all these Bolo Yeung movies? Going to have to finally watch Chinese Hercules this week. I could never find that one in any of the mom and pop video shops back in the day.

• Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    When the hell did Prime get all these Bolo Yeung movies? Going to have to finally watch Chinese Hercules this week. I could never find that one in any of the mom and pop video shops back in the day.

Prime has an amazing selection of B-movies, martial arts films, 80s and 90s action trash, cult films, 70s and 80s horror, and so on. I can fill up a watch list that will last me a month or two just by adding movies that look interesting in a succession of "Customers also watched" recommendations.

• Options
    @Captain Howdy Have you seen Breathing Fire? If not, check it out on Prime. It has Bolo, the kid who played Short Round/Data, and Jerry Trimble as the main villain (he was the boss villain that got his face burned up in the first undercover bust in King of the Kickboxers).

• Options
    I'm just shocked, I swear Prime was trash last year, now it's got all sorts of goodness from my youth. And thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to watch Breathing Fire. Always been a sucker for anything with Bolo, Al Leong, Billy Blanks, or Cynthia Rothrock.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm watching A Star is Born with my mom for Mother's Day. God damnit Bradley Cooper. Open your mouth and stop mumbling when you talk. I have the center channel turned way up and still can't understand half of his lines.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm watching A Star is Born with my mom for Mother's Day. God damnit Bradley Cooper. Open your mouth and stop mumbling when you talk. I have the center channel turned way up and still can't understand half of his lines.

So you're saying that as a positive? #bradleycooperistheworst

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Welp, now I know why A Star is Born lost to Bohemian Rhapsody at the Oscars.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

The Academy doesn't like good editing?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

A Star Is Born is one phenomenal scene wrapped in an unremarkable, but watchable, love tragedy.

Gaga and Cooper performed it well, though.

But let's be fair, it kicked Rhapsody 's teeth in.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

A Star Is Born is one phenomenal scene wrapped in an unremarkable, but watchable, love tragedy.

One phenomenal scene is way more than what Rhapsody had, from what I understand.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

One phenomenal scene is way more than what Rhapsody had, from what I understand.

Rhapsody was a much better movie. I have to disagree on all fronts that it had nothing phenomenal. The Live Aid scene alone was more spectacular and phenomenal than anything in A Star is Born.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    The Live Aid concert was great. The rest of the movie was serviceable to bad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Happily, the Live Aid concert already existed in the form of the real Live Aid concert, so the one great bit of the movie had already been done before, better.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Happily, the Live Aid concert already existed in the form of the real Live Aid concert, so the one great bit of the movie had already been done before, better.

Thats not how movies work.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options

No recordings of Live Aid exists that even approach the quality of the movie. I'd argue that BH is the next best thing to being there in person and far ahead of any existing recordings of the event.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

No recordings of Live Aid exists that even approach the quality of the movie. I'd argue that BH is the next best thing to being there in person and far ahead of any existing recordings of the event.

Huh? There are multi-track recordings right from the soundboard of Live Aid readily available. I actually think they used a bunch of that stuff in the movie.

The bonus being that you can listen to an awesome concert without having to watch Rami Malek pretending to be the muppet version of Freddie Mercury. That's not even taking into consideration the whole context of the Live Aid performance being completely bungled by the film. The BR version of Live Aid feels super contrived and fake imo. It has one cool shot but beyond that it feels like a highschool play to me.

• Options
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shia-labeouf-mel-gibson-team-rothchild-satire-cannes-2019-1210007
    Shia LaBeouf, Mel Gibson Team for 'Rothchild' Satire
    The black comedy will center on Becket Rothchild (Shia LaBeouf) — the bastard child of a mother, who in eloping with a jazz musician was cast out from the Rothchild family and its vast fortune — who was never given a fair lot in life. All grown up and armed with charisma, intelligence and a flair for opportunity, it does not take long for Becket to fully grasp the immense gap between his situation and the richest 1 percent, which should be his birthright. He has a plan.

There are precisely nine Rothchild family members who stand between him and his fortune, including Whitelaw (Gibson), his sinister grandfather. How hard could it be for them each to meet with an “accident”? With the unique advantage of being unknown to any of them, Becket penetrates the weird and twisted lives of his super-rich kin amongst frat boys, hipster artists and reality TV stars. The only thing that threatens to get in the way is love, both old and new.
    Oh no. This will be anti-Semitic.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shia-labeouf-mel-gibson-team-rothchild-satire-cannes-2019-1210007
    The black comedy will center on Becket Rothchild (Shia LaBeouf) — the bastard child of a mother, who in eloping with a jazz musician was cast out from the Rothchild family and its vast fortune — who was never given a fair lot in life. All grown up and armed with charisma, intelligence and a flair for opportunity, it does not take long for Becket to fully grasp the immense gap between his situation and the richest 1 percent, which should be his birthright. He has a plan.

There are precisely nine Rothchild family members who stand between him and his fortune, including Whitelaw (Gibson), his sinister grandfather. How hard could it be for them each to meet with an “accident”? With the unique advantage of being unknown to any of them, Becket penetrates the weird and twisted lives of his super-rich kin amongst frat boys, hipster artists and reality TV stars. The only thing that threatens to get in the way is love, both old and new.

Probably. But I think LeBoeuf is Jewish?

edit: yes, google tells me

Atomika on
  • Options
    It’ll be Kind Hearts and Coronets, and Gibson will play all nine members of the Rothschild family. Three will be female, one will have Gibson in blackface, which he will say is “no problem”.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Atomika wrote: »

Probably. But I think LeBoeuf is Jewish?

edit: yes, google tells me

Can we not eat the rich of all races and faiths?

I'm intrigued. The Beef has actually gotten interesting since he decided to stop trying to be an everyman blockbuster headlining star.

shryke on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Someone should weld Mel Gibson to the Apocalipto crew and send them to exotic locations, never to be seen on screen again, only in credits.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
This discussion has been closed.