As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    damn new patch deleted all my saved highlights

was gonna make a deathmatch fiesta video of stupid disaster fights but they killed em all qq

also the paris deathmatch map is horrible, everything is a million mile sight line infested with hitscan scumbags and theres not even a room u can camp like a nerd

disgraceful why dont they think of the RATS its nearly as bad as dorado dm

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I log in late at night to do a few rounds in Paris arcade to check out the map... and I go on an absolute tear. I don't know what got into me, but I was planting icicles into foreheads at an unprecedented rate. It was almost like I actually had aiming skills. All this while sight-reading a new map.

It helped that my team (especially the dva) was actually shooting at frozen enemies. I really like when that happens.

We still lost, but it was a very close game, and I got gold elims and 4 endorsements, so some folks obviously noticed I was doing well.

Of course I wasn't recording or streaming it. It was supposed to just be a throw away game for practice.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Oh I guess if I were to request a buff to Zen it'd probably be a tad slimmer hitbox

Especially now that the matchup between Zen and Reaper (who has a literal 2-hit win at range) has only gotten worse now that they chose to buff him out the wazoo

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I log in late at night to do a few rounds in Paris arcade to check out the map... and I go on an absolute tear. I don't know what got into me, but I was planting icicles into foreheads at an unprecedented rate. It was almost like I actually had aiming skills. All this while sight-reading a new map.

It helped that my team (especially the dva) was actually shooting at frozen enemies. I really like when that happens.

We still lost, but it was a very close game, and I got gold elims and 4 endorsements, so some folks obviously noticed I was doing well.

Of course I wasn't recording or streaming it. It was supposed to just be a throw away game for practice.

Had one of those last night. I was backfilling into an attack on Paris - I think it had only been going on for a minute or so before I got there. We had 3 DPS, a Moira and the 6th player was another backfill who hadn't picked a hero yet.

I came in like a wrecking ball, despite not playing Wrecking Ball. Threaded through everyone surrounding point A and just drilling heads, it felt like I practically took it solo. I didn't, but the reds just didn't have an an answer for what I was pulling. 4 golds, PotG, endorsements - felt baaaad aaaass.

Also... I've had Meis thank me for killing their frozen targets. There's something kinda' endearing but awkward and a little sad about it - like when a Widow thanks Mercy for healing her.

Oh sweet summer child - who hurt you so? Who hurt you?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Oh I guess if I were to request a buff to Zen it'd probably be a tad slimmer hitbox

Especially now that the matchup between Zen and Reaper (who has a literal 2-hit win at range) has only gotten worse now that they chose to buff him out the wazoo

Here's an evil thought. Imagine Zenyatta, right? Now add mobility.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't know if Zen needs a buff so much as others need a nerf because his big hitbox is what sets him apart (I do believe Zen shouldn't be affected by Junkrat's trap or magma though). Sombra in particular needs her spread upped or her hack range reduced and has needed that since they reworked her hack, but they instead made her spread smaller. That's the big Zen killer I see all the time right there.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't know if Zen needs a buff so much as others need a nerf because his big hitbox is what sets him apart (I do believe Zen shouldn't be affected by Junkrat's trap or magma though). Sombra in particular needs her spread upped or her hack range reduced and has needed that since they reworked her hack, but they instead made her spread smaller. That's the big Zen killer I see all the time right there.

The problem with Sombra being such a massive Zen Counter is that he didn't fucking need one. Hack does almost-nothing to him, but EMP?

I once had an Anubis attack, as Zen, where the enemy Sombra had EMP literally every teamfight, and began literally every teamfight by EMPing and finishing off that last 50 of my HP. I switched, obv, but I felt like there was literally zero counterplay I could try as Zen. It was just die repeatedly or don't play Zen.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why are you asking for a Zen buff, he's still the best off healer

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Players forget the Overwatch heroes are not Pokemon and the game is not about dueling.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, Zen has one of the best ults in the game, one of the best abilities in the game with discord, burst kill potential on the majority of the cast, as well as high sustained DPS.

Zen's large, predictable hitbox is necessary to partially balance out what an amazing kit he has. If you're dying to a reaper as zen then you had bad positioning and deserved it, because Zen can eat Reaper's lunch

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

I think on the whole Zen has been in a good position in terms of balance, so I wouldn't say he needs major adjustments on the whole. His strengths (strong damage, multitasking and ability to direct team damage) are offset by his bad mobility/accessibility as his central design so I would hesitate to apply any type of mobility buff besides that of Transcendence.

Which is why the only buff I would really like for Zen to have is to shave some of the corners off his hitbox. It would really only affect a handful of heroes who already have an absurd TTK on him as a direct result of the interplay between hitbox+spread (some of whom have only been buffed further recently) and who can easily negate any safety he gains from proper positioning.

Either that, or allow Transcendence to properly block LOS things like High Noon and DVa bomb, you fuckers

• Options

I think on the whole Zen has been in a good position in terms of balance, so I wouldn't say he needs major adjustments on the whole. His strengths (strong damage, multitasking and ability to direct team damage) are offset by his bad mobility/accessibility as his central design so I would hesitate to apply any type of mobility buff besides that of Transcendence.

Which is why the only buff I would really like for Zen to have is to shave some of the corners off his hitbox. It would really only affect a handful of heroes who already have an absurd TTK on him as a direct result of the interplay between hitbox+spread (some of whom have only been buffed further recently) and who can easily negate any safety he gains from proper positioning.

Either that, or allow Transcendence to properly block LOS things like High Noon and DVa bomb, you fuckers

Well it blocks high noon, doesn't it?

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Players forget the Overwatch heroes are not Pokemon and the game is not about dueling.

I'm still happy with my Fire Type.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I'm still happy with my Fire Type.

I probably shouldn't have googled "Tracer pokemon" after reading this, but some of the Pikachu-as-Tracer fanart was cute. Some of it was far less cute.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I have a better thought - let's remove mobility. From everybody.

Zek on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Mei wouldn't need to exist if so many characters didn't have a jump button.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

Hissss!

• Options

I dunno, I've gotten in Mcree's face a bunch of times and it don't do squat

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

At first I was like "Nahhhhhh!"

But then...maybe?

The buzz around the net is that Lucio and his speed boost is The (New) Real Problem Behind Goats This Time We're Sure Guys For Real. And maybe he is? So I guess Lucio's speed boost is on the chopping block soon. But then all the slow lumbering heroes and comps he enables could be hard nerfed to the point it'll probably be divedivedivedoublesniperdive at high SRs and pro play. So maybe nerf those comps too by adding a second or so to every mobility cd?

Nerfs for the Nerf God! Fight the mobility creep! Slow the whole damn game down! It sounds simple, but it just might work!

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options

I dunno, I've gotten in Mcree's face a bunch of times and it don't do squat

I'm almost positive he can body block it - but he can't block a D.Va ult.

• Options
    Musicool wrote: »
    Nerfs for the Nerf God!

I found this funnier than you'd think.

Also your idea is bad and you should feel bad about it. Everyone else has mobility 'cause their kits aren't ridonkulous like Zen and Ana.

• Options
    Nerfs for the Nerf God!

Also your idea is bad and you should feel bad about it. Everyone else has mobility 'cause their kits aren't ridonkulous like Zen and Ana.

Throw Zen and Ana on the fire too. Burn it all.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Nerfs for the Nerf God!

Throw Zen and Ana on the fire too. Burn it all.

Nooo I still like Overwatch.

• Options
    I'm super glad there a bunch of new multiplayer games coming out recently these days because I just crested my average SR at about 2.7 after trying to get back to Platinum bracket for like 3 weeks, and all I can feel is indifference towards getting back up after so damn long

Jumped in for like 3 hours last night in quick play and didn't get a single rotation for the new Paris map, which really didn't help my malaise

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The Paris map really seems to bring out the overly sneaky widows. This one was trying to get around behind me and that was a NO from me. Shot her in the head as she attempted to zip up past me? Wish I'd had the presence of mind to wave as her body went by.

https://youtu.be/KhPLqfslQCY

soylenth on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Mei needs to exist because we live in a fairly terrible timeline and need a beacon of hope to look to in the dark times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mei wants some mobility too, if we are just handing it out to anyone. Her fastest ground speed is mosey.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    OTOH, Mei exists because we live in a fairly terrible timeline

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Mei with mobility is a nightmare but an ice slide could be FUN

• Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

Mei needs to exist because we live in a fairly terrible timeline and need a beacon of hope to look to in the dark times.

Some dark, eldritch power took hold in our universe some time around 2015; it slipped in through a flame-wreathed portal in the deepest basements of CERN.

Everything since this moment has been thoroughly corrupted. Just look around, pick up a newspaper, go onto a popular social media platform, and try to convince me that we don't live in an alternate universe dominated by an ancient multi-dimensional being of pure chaotic evil that we cannot perceive without going mad.

• Options
    Mei wants some mobility too, if we are just handing it out to anyone. Her fastest ground speed is mosey.

Mei does have mobility. The type of mobility all Tracers dream of.

*starry eyes* Vertical.

• Options

*starry eyes* Vertical.

Fair enough, guess I should have said horizontal mobility. Wall boosts are my bread and butter. I don't even think about it anymore, just "e-e-click" and up I go.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

No Second Opinions

- When multiple heal-over-time effects are applied to the same character, only the strongest one applies.
    - Ultimate charge points are divided equally between healers targeting the same character across the range they overlap. (Posit that Mercy heals for 50 HP/s, Zenyatta for 30 HP/s, and Lucio for 15 HP/s. Mercy gets 20 HP/s worth of ult charge for the uncontested portion, plus half of the 15 that she shares only with Zenyatta, plus a third of the 15 she shares with both Zenyatta and Lucio.)
    - All heal-over-time healing abilities (those not Ana's Biotic Grenade or Brigitte's Repair Pack) have their power increased by 10-30% as appropriate.
    - All Tanks with Armor have 100 Health converted to Armor.

Motivation: reduce the power of 3-3 compositions, which rely heavily on diffuse, long-term healing to patch up the spaces between barriers, without unduly weakening Tanks and Supports in other compositions. Indeed, with the boosted power of healing abilities, this change strengthens solo Supports, and ought to have minimal effect on Main Healer + Off-Healer comps. The armor change is designed to help fill the remaining space that main tanks lose from not being able to receive two separate streams of healing at once.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

*starry eyes* Vertical.

Fair enough, guess I should have said horizontal mobility. Wall boosts are my bread and butter. I don't even think about it anymore, just "e-e-click" and up I go.

Look, not everyone can handle all this horizontal mobility.

Edit: just had 2 omfg-I'm-a-monster wins in a row on Paris attack. Like won 2 attacks in a row, and got told by the plat on the other team "aim 2 good."

I said ty and that it was a lot of practice and high sens and gg, and they said nothin'.

Perhaps it was an accusation but it still feels cool ^.^

Chance on
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

No Second Opinions

- When multiple heal-over-time effects are applied to the same character, only the strongest one applies.
    - Ultimate charge points are divided equally between healers targeting the same character across the range they overlap. (Posit that Mercy heals for 50 HP/s, Zenyatta for 30 HP/s, and Lucio for 15 HP/s. Mercy gets 20 HP/s worth of ult charge for the uncontested portion, plus half of the 15 that she shares only with Zenyatta, plus a third of the 15 she shares with both Zenyatta and Lucio.)
    - All heal-over-time healing abilities (those not Ana's Biotic Grenade or Brigitte's Repair Pack) have their power increased by 10-30% as appropriate.
    - All Tanks with Armor have 100 Health converted to Armor.

Motivation: reduce the power of 3-3 compositions, which rely heavily on diffuse, long-term healing to patch up the spaces between barriers, without unduly weakening Tanks and Supports in other compositions. Indeed, with the boosted power of healing abilities, this change strengthens solo Supports, and ought to have minimal effect on Main Healer + Off-Healer comps. The armor change is designed to help fill the remaining space that main tanks lose from not being able to receive two separate streams of healing at once.

Well, you've done it. You've written one that I love.

Except the armor thing. Nay nay. Let's just drop the Heal-o-Bomb and see where things shake out before we start gettin' crazy.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot the other possible argument for the proposed system (because I never actually remember everything the first time around): to some extent, it future-proofs the game against the design of future Supports. If they add another character with a high maximum healing rate, they don't have to concern themselves with the interactions between that character and, say, Moira or Ana, because they'll only have slightly pushed up the maximum achievable healing, as opposed to creating a situation where Reinhardt gets his entire life bar back in under two seconds because you decided to field three primary healers or whatever.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    (Posting this to both SE and G&T)

So Winston's Lab has a pretty neat little fantasy section where you can (among other things) make percentage-based predictions on upcoming OWL matches, and if you have a login it'll track your results and throw them up on a public scoreboard. You can make changes all the way up until the game starts, so it's pretty easy/flexible. I figured there might be a few OWL fans interested in giving it a try. Go to https://www.winstonslab.com/fantasy/ and pick OWL Stage 1 Predictions to get started.

Here are my predictions for this coming week!

30% Justice / 70% Spitfire
    90% Fusion / 10% Mayhem
    40% Charge / 60% Fuel
    80% Dynasty / 20% Hunters
    70% Reign / 30% Defiant
    60% NYXL / 40% Valiant
    40% Dragons / 60% Uprising
    10% Outlaws / 90% Spark
    40% Gladiators / 60% Eternal
    70% Fusion / 30% Fuel
    90% Titans / 10% Charge
    60% Hunters / 40% Mayhem
    70% Spark / 30% Spitfire
    90% NYXL / 10% Outlaws
    30% Defiant / 70% Valiant
    60% Titans / 40% Shock

• Options
    This one goes out to all the Hams.

https://youtu.be/1QAFgKRcnH4

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Well that was a boop!

The only problem I see with those healer changes is that it drastically diminishes the value of even having a second healer. Which would be fine, except that that has very disproportionate effects on the different healers and massively favours main healers over off healers.

Which might be fine? I dunno, I've been wrong before. But I'd personally prefer to see a halving rule: each successively weaker stacked HoT does half of its max value. So if a Mercy, Lucio and Brig all apply their HoTs, Mercy's does 100% of its value, Lucio's does half of its value, and Brig's does 25%. So there's still some value to the second an third healing source.

Also! It lets Blizz fix Brig's biggest problem right now, which is that balancing her as a Goats mainstay makes her trash as a healer for anything else. You can buff her Inspire healing so that it's respectable by itself or as the off-healer source of healing, but also knowing that on a 3/3 style comp the number on tbe box would be diminished to one half or one quarter.

Edit: btw, possibly the most drastic consequence of only giving out the highest HoT is that it means low HPS single target heals like Zen's harmony orbs are now ovjectively terrible, and also, high hps Aoe heals like Moira's whole kit crowd out a lot of the offhealer options in a duo healer combo, since while they are still objectively good heals they are also, sadly, more likely to overshadow any healing that a second healer might bring.

It's all very opaque and complicated and leads to weird questions like "does our healer combo even work in the most basic sense of ACTUALLY BEING TWO SOURCES OF HEALING in most realistic situations". So while it seems like it encourages meta diversity (by killing goats) it actually crushes healer variety by making certain healer combinations legit dysfunctional, and, for example, devaluing certain kinds of healers, such as low single target healers like Zen and high HPS AoE healers like Moira.

Which is why I suggest mine is the better idea because while it seems more complicated on the surface, it answers that question with a more basic "Yes, more healing sources are still good, always. Just with diminishing returns."

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Bad ideas remix?

This shooting the same target is OP. If multiple people shoot the same target, only the highest DPS should deal any damage.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.