As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Did you know that Wattson's ultimate can destroy incoming grenades?
    Of course you did, it's in the ability description.
    (note to self: re-read ability descriptions)

I racked up another loss as squad number 2 partially because I forgot that little tidbit. We were in a 2v3 in a large circle (our Wraith had gotten disconnected due to inactivity since they did nothing the entire match), and we ended up near Octane's town. We had traded shots with the enemy squad, with me missing and my Pathfinder buddy occasionally hitting. But they were clearly the superior long-range team, so I indicated we should run to the next circle to reposition.

Pathfinder didn't listen, instead grappling to the highest vantage point he could find to snipe more, before promptly getting knocked. He crawls to an interior where I can heal him, but as I'm trying, enough grenades come in that I abandon that idea and run. They get into position, flank, and drop me quickly even though I had the best possible gear for a last fight (gold backpack/knockdown, Mastiff, plenty of nades and heals). I just panicked and forgot to drop my ult to protect the rez, and maybe we could have pulled something together as they swarmed us quickly, since Mastiff wrecks in this mode.

I just want the neat Loading Screen which requires a win, but think maybe this mode isn't the way to go about getting a win, since maybe the basic mode will be more likely filled with easier players.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    since Mastiff wrecks in this mode.
    Really? I'm kinda surprised, I figured without purple shields in play for it to have the possibility to one-shot, it would be outcompeted by the Peacekeeper, with it's longer range and easier use and still being able to one-shot white shields.

• Options
    Peacekeeper definitely does work, but Mastiff still seems to be the tool to cut people in half quickly.

Maybe that is just because I am always going to run a Mastiff if one is available, but even then I've seen folks tear it up once they get one.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    >not using the Hammerpoint Mozambique in a mode where most people don't even have armor

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    >not using the Hammerpoint Mozambique in a mode where most people don't even have armor
    How much is the multiplier on that, again? I've definitely gotten some results with it, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm working with.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    How much is the multiplier on that, again? I've definitely gotten some results with it, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm working with.
    Double damage, so each pellet is 30 to the body if armor is broken.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Folks, there are some ults out there you can laugh at or otherwise ignore.

https://youtu.be/ov_rOH9LrWE

Gibraltar ult is not one of them.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That's a real nice set of clips Spectrum!

• Options
    I love that evil laugh after you kill the first squad and are in a room overflowing with deathboxes.

• Options
    I've been playing a bunch of Apex this event, and it reminds me that I feel like hit detection remains off in this game. Yeah, you need to lead your shots, but there are still plenty of times per game where it seems like clear hits just whiff due to network conditions, and it feels so unsatisfying to lose a match because of crap like that rather than just being outplayed/making mistakes.

I've been making plenty of mistakes and losing recently, but those moments where you do everything right and still fail grows frustrating, particularly when events tie content to performance (I'm looking at you, rewards you can only get for winning in a limited time event).

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I managed to get my five wins. I got to top 3 a bunch and had some great games I couldn't quite close out.

Now I just need to get the rest of the dailies done, which will also complete my battle pass.

• Options
    I love that evil laugh after you kill the first squad and are in a room overflowing with deathboxes.
    Usually you only see that in bunker but it's a nice little marker of "some shit happened here".

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Just because it is unranked casuals with your buddies

https://youtu.be/MeuQug8HETU

Doesn't meant you can't win in the sweatiest, most tryhard, straight out of pro league way possible

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    How did you not auto activate your last portal during the final ring? Maybe I'm a bad Wraith but I always though it triggered automatically when time ran out.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How did you not auto activate your last portal during the final ring? Maybe I'm a bad Wraith but I always though it triggered automatically when time ran out.

Just guessing, but maybe it was because he was standing in the middle of a teammate?

• Options
    There is no time component to Wraith's portal, it's purely distance based.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BrainSplode

I guess it goes to show that I basically have never stood still at all when using that ability. Neat trick!

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I uninstalled every BR game I own, because I can't anymore. I'm terrible at video games, especially first person shooters. And BR is darwinian by design. It was a bad idea for me to try to play BR games. I see that now.

But hot damn do I miss this game sometimes. The guns and the physics and the ping system are really good.

What I need is a casual non-BR mode, and I'd reinstall in a heartbeat.

I should probably follow them somewhere so I can keep track of the games development while I'm not playing it.

Or I could just keep lurking...

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Could always play Titanfall.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

... I remember reading up on that game when I first got into this. How similar are they? I know they are from the same devs...

Didn't it have giant robots? Seems odd.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options

... I remember reading up on that game when I first got into this. How similar are they? I know they are from the same devs...

You can feel that they're both from Respawn in fundamental stuff like the way firing a gun feels or walking around, but Titanfall is a more conventionally structured multiplayer shooter where there are multiple maps and gametypes and you respawn in most of them. Gameplaywise, times to kill in Titanfall are much faster, ideal movement looks like constantly moving at ~45mph with thruster-assisted super parkour and never touching the ground, and in most gametypes you have an ult which is "call in a mech". Titanfall 2 also has a pretty good singleplayer campaign, and both games prominently feature several PvP gametypes in which there are AI controlled enemy and allied infantry which can be killed for points, so if you're not confident in outshooting another human you can avoid enemy players while still contributing to the game.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Titanfall 2 has a good campaign (with a few outstanding levels). It's really mobility focused. And a Horde mode, though you spend most of that in the Titans. It also has a vs mode, but warned that it has a really high skyceiling due to the very high movement speed and verticality.
    If you match against the wrong people, you are going to get shot from angles you never even considered.
    It's $5 on every sale, and its in EA Origin Access Basic, so playing it for a bit is easy.

I know the feeling btw, I am just not accurate enough in a firefight, which is frustrating.

Also, this weekend was the second Apex tournament. (The Pre-Season Invitational)
    I watched quite a bit of it, mostly as background.

My takeaway is that the format they found is pretty smart:
    Day 1 & Day 2 are winner/loser brackets. Day 1 matches have 3 rounds, Day 2 have 4 rounds. Morning of Day 3 is the last losers bracket.
    1 point per kill, and an F1-esque placement score (So 12 for #1, 9 #2, 7 #3,... 1 for #11-#15).
    After each match top half advances, lower half drops (either to losers, or out of the tournament). 80 Teams to 20 teams.

Then in the finale, you need to get 50 points, and then win.
    The prediction was that it would take 7-8 rounds for someone to achieve this.
    After round 4 the first people were on match point, but it took until round 11 for someone to win it. By that point, 11 teams were above 50 points.

The main downsides were: Too much downtime between rounds. Too little interesting analysis or replays in between rounds. Questionable camera work, not showing action. Also no free flying spectator, or some sort of overview map where all teams are at the moment. I think BR coverage could actually really use a "second screen" implentation with stats and a map showing fights/kills.

And everyone is Pathfinder/Wattson/Wraith, and plays in the same overall style: Try to drop safe (People know where the top teams land, and avoid them), loot up and rotate into highground or buildings in the circle quick. Take potshots to remove enemy heals without committing to a teamfight. Then at circle 4/5 all hell breaks lose, which is fun to watch but also hectic. 10 teams will be elimanated within 2 minutes.
    Then the final circle is about using Wraith iframes portaling back and forth.

This means you can basically do whatever with the audio on, and check in if someone dies early in the first 10 minutes. And then just watch the final few minutes.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    There were also a decent number of glitches/bugs that showed up, like the invisible Watson fence towards the end.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    What's the wraith iframe shenanigans?

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    I'm not certain, but maybe it has to do with avoiding zone damage by traveling through her portals? You can't be harmed by anything while you're in transit, zone included.

• Options
    On this most blessed of days, 3 teams learned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8V-aUWkrgE&feature=youtu.be

...maybe don't push Caustic in a prepared defensive position with chokepoints.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I'm not certain, but maybe it has to do with avoiding zone damage by traveling through her portals? You can't be harmed by anything while you're in transit, zone included.

Basically, you wait until right before the last ring closure is about to happen (the one that will leave no safe space left period), and you drop your portal start in the dead center of the safe zone. Then you run around in right circles in the safe space, using all of your energy, and drop the exit right next to the entrance. Then you wait until the very last second to step into the portal, and for the 1.5-2 second you’re in there, you take no damage from the ring. That final ring does something like 50% of your health in a single tick, so if the other team doesn’t have a wraith doing the same thing, they lose. You can try to prep a health kit to pop you back to full after the first damage tick, but it won’t buy you as much time as the portal loop. Also wraith can use her tactical to avoid the damage as well.

It’s the same sort of thing as lifeline camping with the drone, this just wasn’t worth doing until that got nerfed. It’s also something that happens most often when the final safe zone is centered on something with 2 or more levels of elevation, like where one team is on top of a building and the other team is inside of it, and neither team can safely transition between the two.

I feel like it’s something that Respawn might try to nerf/patch out at some point, but it would be harder to do without breaking using a portal to escape a closing ring earlier in the game.

• Options
    Respawn released a new animated short for Crypto:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8WHxyW86o

• Options
    I maxed out Season 2, which I didn't expect before the two special events. I enjoyed Season 1 more (mostly because the caliber of opponents has gone up so I'm way less successful), but it was still a good time. That said, with other things coming out, I expect I'll be in less Season 3.

I found Armed and Dangerous to be fun, but a bit frustrating, what with the Longbow being the primary murdertool, and I'm terrible at sniping. That said, I did have some fun, and this moment in particular was very gratifying (and without the low shields of enemies in that mode, it wouldn't have happened).

https://youtu.be/KuTEqlT-mA8

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RG1Ym2ACYY

Season 3 looks pretty nice. Trailer also gives me a 'single-player game cutscene'-type of trailer vibe rather then one for a battle-royale game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    New map!

• Options
    That looks neat.
    I wish Apex and Destiny weren't on the same release cadence.

• Options
    I'm quite surprised to see a new map so soon.

• Options
    Above video is private, so in case anyone missed it

https://youtu.be/NEAWC9eK1Ts

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I think I saw an EPG in that trailer.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

You basically build up a meter from shooting stuff after which you get a big robot for a bit.

Bounty and attrition are the modes I’d recommend to people as you learn the maps.

Bounty because it creates points on the map for people to rush towards and fight over meaning you’ve got a good idea where the other team are approaching from (so you get killed less from unknown angles).

Plus the secret to that mode is killing NPCs because that’s where the points are in addition to the fact killing them builds up your Titan meter quickly. I’ve seen people with 30 kills with nearly no points and others with hardly any topping the charts.

Attrition is basically team death match but there are NPCs around which again help build up your meter.

It’s a great game; the movement is sublime which rewards for thinking smart. You don’t have to be a great shot to do really well.

Plus it’s got one if the best single player campaigns in years.

(There is also a mode with no Titans as well)

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Killing the NPCs in attrition is also okay for points. Killing a player gets you five points, and killing an NPC gives you one, and NPCs tend to spawn in groups of five.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yfSTtFThA4

A look at both the new character and map is available.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Either everyone forgot how to shoot or they reset matchmaking; I don't have 5-kill games with nearly 2000 damage.

Either way, Crypto is a blast. The drone is a ton of fun and makes it so much easier to know what you should or shouldn't be doing it's not even funny.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho