As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    In other news, if you DO happen to get an Evo shield from White to Red, it feels awesome and like you are a death god.

Or just loot a death box with a red shield, like I've done a bunch of times.

I've thrown away a red shield for a gold when it gets down to 2-3 teams, since the fast recharge is more important than the extra 25 health

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Quite a number of times I've thought "ooh I think I'll throw some money the devs way and buy a skin". Only to run the calculations and realise that there is no way I'm paying £15 for a single skin.

If each one was like, a fiver, then I'd probably have half a dozen at this point.

I'm sure they've run the calculations to maximise their whaling profits, but I wonder how many folks like me they're missing out on.
    The battle pass might be a better deal.

Yeah, I bought season 1 and 2, but sadly there's never been much in there that I fancied. Other than the Pathfinder skydiving emote that I never got *double sad face*.

Campy on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I really really need to break this bad habit of thinking allies are useful. I'd say a good nine times out of ten, a fight I could win ends up fucked up because I waste effort trying to to rez allies when I should just 100% ignore them and bust up the enemy.

Case in point, my last match has a dumbass who starts the game by dropping a fucking kilometer before the rest of us and inevitably gets super-shredded by the dumb early game drop-mob. Then he spends his wait time spamming the "come get me" ping, which we flatly ignored, obviously. My remaining ally is the dude with the drone scout, who proceeded to get caught by the ring two different times while fucking around with his drone. In the final couple of rings, he gets shredded without doing squat; I grab his emblem and head for the last respawn point, pop it in, and wait for the closing ring while the last pair of players comes my way.

Instead of being useful, my ally drops down and just kind stands there looking at the enemies while they mow him down. I was off to the side to cover him, which means I just ended up out of position to jump the two last enemies. Inevitably, they get me because of the shots I took getting over to respawn him.

Would've had the win easy if I'd just said "fuck it" and waited to jump the enemies as they moved into the ring area. Pile of grenades, plus auto-shotty with double-fire. Still almost tagged them both, but just didn't have enough left on my shields. The fatal flaw was thinking teammates are reliably useful and sacrificing for one.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Shw0ZU3bRY4
    I liked that the circle closed on Thermal in Deja Loot last night, we took full advantage of that several times. Only nabbed this one win but had some other close ones too.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I think yesterday was my least favorite of the Deja Loot circles, but I did manage to have fun hiding in that tower all by myself, harassing four separate teams with Kraber + Unscoped Sentinel.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Gah, a loss in the final 2 because our team is too far apart and the enemy is stacked and then perfectly time a Revenant ultimate right as I round the corner and charge with Mastiff is frustrating. Dropping two dudes with Mastiff only for them to materialize behind me and finish me off reiterates that sometimes that Ult is real powerful.

I feel like this mode doesn't have SBMM, cause I'm either finding myself getting murdered instantly, or going through the whole game, having like one or two fights, and then die by people who a way better than me.

• Options
    Just had a game in Deja where both teammates dropped, so I Solid Snaked it to the end. I ended up in 3rd but the final fight was me repeatedly krabering the enemy over and over to deplete their resources. I did kill a whole team by myself leading up to that, so I felt pretty boss still.
    https://youtu.be/Bm45P-1EQCs

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This probably happened when I was paying less attention to the game but the Hemlock seems really good now?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I feel like the people who're really good with the single shot Hemlok are doing something to spam it as fast as possible. Not saying it's always a turbo switch but it would work wonders for the gun in single shot since it basically becomes a full auto death machine in some people's hands.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I feel like the people who're really good with the single shot Hemlok are doing something to spam it as fast as possible. Not saying it's always a turbo switch but it would work wonders for the gun in single shot since it basically becomes a full auto death machine in some people's hands.

I know some folks will bind fire to mouse wheel so they can just spin to shoot like crazy. Its 1 shot mode definitely feels way better on mouse than controller

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

I know on PC there is some macro where you can set it up to basically press the inspect button and the fire button at the same time and it makes it fire faster than is humanly possible. There are definitely people on console that are using turbos and whatnot though.
    Peen wrote: »
    This probably happened when I was paying less attention to the game but the Hemlock seems really good now?

I know at some point the raised the damage but made it fire a bit slower in burst mode. I think it went from like 18 to 22 damage a bullet. I agree though, I hadn't used it in forever and I picked one up the other day and got it half way decently kitted out and it felt great. I like to use it at medium/medium long range so I use a 2x or 3x on it.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Get Jump Leader. Teammate pings for immediate drop, I ignore it for a drop that is not garbage because it isn't in the middle of 15 other squads. Both teammates solo drop immediately and both die within 30 seconds of me hitting the ground in a smart spot, a kilometer off. One takes the time to berate me over voicechat. I make it to 4th place solo.

I can't even really get annoyed here when the numbers make it obvious how useless my teammates were. If you just wanna play a meatgrinder, go load up Battlefield or something.

• Options
    squall99x wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

I know at some point the raised the damage but made it fire a bit slower in burst mode. I think it went from like 18 to 22 damage a bullet. I agree though, I hadn't used it in forever and I picked one up the other day and got it half way decently kitted out and it felt great. I like to use it at medium/medium long range so I use a 2x or 3x on it.

Yeah I was using it at medium range with a double tap Eva 8 and having a grand time. It makes you useless at ranged fights but I think ranged fights are dumb.

• Options
    Hemlok always felt good at mid range. Long range fights are impossible for me and I would ignore snipers if not for battle pass challenges.
    Double tap Eva is a monster, and I love how they can seasonally adjust weapons just by adding mods.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I've loved the Hemlock since Titanfall 1 so its always my favorite gun to grab.

• Options
    Get Jump Leader. Teammate pings for immediate drop, I ignore it for a drop that is not garbage because it isn't in the middle of 15 other squads. Both teammates solo drop immediately and both die within 30 seconds of me hitting the ground in a smart spot, a kilometer off. One takes the time to berate me over voicechat. I make it to 4th place solo.

I can't even really get annoyed here when the numbers make it obvious how useless my teammates were. If you just wanna play a meatgrinder, go load up Battlefield or something.

Not trying to defend them, since they sound like a buncha clownshoes, but there are people that want to see action as much as possible. To them getting a top 5 finish or a win where you have only killed a couple of people is tantamount to a waste of time. I have tried to work myself into a happy medium as much as possible. I used to be content to just stealth around the map. I would make top 5 pretty much every time but then die as soon as I was found or in the first gunfight I got into. I've tried to wean myself off of that style of playing unless I am solo. Now I want fights but want them as advantageous as possible - which still runs counter to those people that run into every situation just to try and get some kills.

I have a buddy that basically only snipes. Hides and snipes. He never wins unless his teammates basically carry him to victory. If he has control over it he never hot drops and basically plays the game like a Metal Gear simulator. He will hide for 15-20ish minutes, get a top 5 finish and often times never kill or damage anyone. And he is happy doing it. I tried pointing out to him that the only way he will actually get better at killing people is to get in firefights but he seems content with his consistently bloodless top 5's.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Technically the object is to survive, and it's an optimal strat to wait for the last two teams to fight and then join the fray. So yeah, I'm in the camp that in general Apex it's fine to hotdrop or whatever, but in ranked I take it a lot slower unless I'm sure to win an engagement. And usually even then it goes sideways quick.

If you're going in with randoms, expect them to be awful is the basic takeaway I get from both modes tho

• Options
    Technically the object is to survive, and it's an optimal strat to wait for the last two teams to fight and then join the fray. So yeah, I'm in the camp that in general Apex it's fine to hotdrop or whatever, but in ranked I take it a lot slower unless I'm sure to win an engagement. And usually even then it goes sideways quick.

If you're going in with randoms, expect them to be awful is the basic takeaway I get from both modes tho

I mean I'm all for the third party train that the game thrives off of - especially when you are down to 3 teams. Getting the timing right feels great.

Ranked is definitely a different beast. I'm only in Gold because I actually haven't played any ranked in a couple weeks but even there you have an incentive to "slow roll" things. Unless you are supremely confident in your luck and your skills I avoid the hot zones on drops unless the dropship trajectory makes it look fairly safe. That way I can cling to the edge and pick off teams like a vulture after fights. I also try to avoid going through certain areas (train yard I'm looking at you).

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I usually do a late drop in ranked and go for the areas looks like people are avoiding

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I don't mind dropping hot so I can practice shooting mans

I always need practice shooting mans

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I don't blink when people decide to drop in the mob, it's just when they bitch about getting mauled while I'm off somewhere safe that gets me. They might want to drop and die in 60 seconds, but I don't and I'm not sitting here whining at them because they didn't wait to drop somewhere smart.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I didnt play much when King's Canyon was the map

But it sure seems like people like dropping in a specific place

5ew1bcm0sic0.jpg
    (note the number of players in the ship and the general path. Whole lobby basically dropped immediately)

• Options
    Skulltown, which I presume is where all those people are dropping to, is the defacto “hot drop gunfight” location on King’s Canyon. So despite the fact that it’s seemingly a terrible place to drop in Deja Loot, folks persist in dropping there to test their shot (and their luck).

• Options
    Skulltown is where people go to farm their kills or try over and over and over and over and over again to try and hit the 2000 damage badge.

Basically it's where you go to pad your stats but not actually try to win matches.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This week I got 1997 damage in a game. I still don't have that damn badge.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Now that I'm seeing Obi's screenshot full screen, I'm loving that his teammates were "Shoty (sic) to Hotty" and "Hot and Ready" — always appreciate players behaving "on brand", no matter how stupid and misguided.

• Options
    I'm not going to lie, I love Shotty Too Hotty and want to believe that guy spelled it that way because the actual spelling was already taken.

• Options
    I had a game where I was the beat player on my team and was wrecking people, but all my teamnates dropped instead of letting me respawn them.

• Options
    I watched a teammate get crushed by the dino's foot last night. So my life is complete now.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    And for two weeks, I've been desperately trying to complete a "Get a Bombardment Kill with Gibraltar" to no success.

Then an opposing Gibraltar managed to kill themselves with their own Bombardment, somehow completing the challenge.

• Options
    That's clever... it only specifies "a kill" I suppose.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I managed to down myself with my own bombardment yesterday. The plan was to drop it on the enemy team, then slide through the edge of it inside.
    However there was a caustic trap around the corner, blocked door + slow debuff + really losing the dice roll on the damage.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Well it happened again. This Apex evening had been miserable. I quit out of 4 games in a row:
    - Someone looting for 2 minutes while we were fighting
    - Someone pinging "Enemy here" every second for a minute while we were alone
    - Solo dropper dies instantly, yells in Russian (A more euro-centric experience I guess)
    - People who quit after not landing on Mirage he was pinging 30x at start, so I quit too

And the game downranked me so much it made me mop up newbies. 9 kills 2000 damage from people who stand still and shoot.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Well it happened again. This Apex evening had been miserable. I quit out of 4 games in a row:
    - Someone looting for 2 minutes while we were fighting
    - Someone pinging "Enemy here" every second for a minute while we were alone
    - Solo dropper dies instantly, yells in Russian (A more euro-centric experience I guess)
    - People who quit after not landing on Mirage he was pinging 30x at start, so I quit too

And the game downranked me so much it made me mop up newbies. 9 kills 2000 damage from people who stand still and shoot.

That sounds super shit. The first thing doesn't necessarily seem all that bad, as I know I've had to loot extensively while teammates fight because sometimes you just can't seem to find a goddamn weapon/correct ammo or you desperately need some meds. But goddamn do I hate needless, excessive pinging and the only thing that makes Solo Dropping Mongos tolerable is that sometimes you win those regardless and it feels even better.

• Options
    Gamestop has the bloodhound and lifeline editions of apex on for $11.99. I guess the pack comes with $10 of in game currency so you're getting all the badges and cosmetics for $2.

If anyone is interested... https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/fj4nsx/apex_legends_bloodhoundlifeline_editions_1199/

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Gamestop has the bloodhound and lifeline editions of apex on for $11.99. I guess the pack comes with $10 of in game currency so you're getting all the badges and cosmetics for $2.

If anyone is interested... https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/fj4nsx/apex_legends_bloodhoundlifeline_editions_1199/

Wow, it's for all platforms including PC. Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Had a bunch of runs last night where my rando group hot drops and then we all immediately die because we have no coordination.

This is in mid silver so like...it's fine from a points perspective but it doesn't feel like its worth the loot payoff.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    I had a game where I was the beat player on my team and was wrecking people, but all my teamnates dropped instead of letting me respawn them.

To counter this. Today a teammate grabbed my and the other players banner, respawned us, and we got the win. My teammates had 12 and 5 kills to my 1, but I did have 3 revives. And finally got my win with an offense character.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    For anyone in the market for coins or skins, there is a sale going around on the Bloodhound and Lifeline special editions.
    Gamestop has all systems for $12 each.
    Amazon has: PC Lifeline for $10, BH for $13. Xbox are both 13, PS4 are both 12.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Are the PC versions just codes? I haven't bought anything from a third party that isn't also a launcher in a while.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART