As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have won the [chat]tery

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Well, you see, everything is text—

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    No edit button?

Aw yeah motherfuckers welcome to dark souls [chat]

oh n o

YOU DIED

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    seriously though think about it

typewriters last literally forever and are indestructible; keyboards are mere years from becoming yet more plastic garbage

I want to be able to use my keyboard for ten years, beat a man to death with it, use it for another twenty
    Some of the older PC keyboards were built amazingly well. The IBM PC's Model F and Model M keyboards were designed by people who understood typewriters.

Then you have keyboards like the original godawful ZX Spectrum keyboard.

800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

the keyboard on the zx spectrum was lauded at the time for being so much better than the keyboard on the zx 80.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I want someone to gather up the people who used to design typewriters, and have them make a keyboard

plastic, bah

give me steel

The entire plate of that keyboard is metal

that's basically the only non-moving part

Most mechanical keyboards last for a very long time.

Typewriters were kinda shit and needed constant repairing of the components.

they have a lot more parts than just the keys, though

and well mine is still in perfect working order after the 40 odd years since my grandfather bought it

My mom had one where the actual arms from the keys would keep coming loose.

The biggest reason an all-metal mechanical keyboard would fail is metal slamming on metal with every keystroke. Plastic can buck up on plastic and not cause any damage. Metal will eventually wear itself out.

Not a good material to construct something that will impact on every use.

Plastic will also wear itself out. Obviously. Everything does.

Eventually, yes.

It'll last far longer than metal when being banged against itself constantly.

okay er, banged? why?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The old things that we have that still work, lasted. The ones that didn't were thrown out and forgotten about.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is probably more that even more expensive keyboards are not designed to be easily repairable whil e most typewriters were expensive enough that repairing them made sense. A typewriter was like 200 dollars in 1979 without adjusting for inflation.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I often see things about old stuff lasting forever and I'm like

No

Often it did not.

Older CRT's from the 80's lasted forever, but CRT's from the late 90's were kinda shit. Because they cut costs and made them cheap.

Old thumb drives used to last for years. Now you're lucky if you get through a few file transfers. Because they cut costs and downgraded the chips used.

Some old stuff worked for years, most of it was disposable shit like we have today.

but you're saying the older stuff lasted forever whereas the newer stuff did not? I am a bit confused

Like anything else, it depends.

Usually the first wave of things is more reliable than later iterations.

Typewriters aren't inherently more robust than other typing items, especially later on in their viable product lifetime.

well inherently they're less robust simply by being far more complicated machines than keyboards

but yes the fact that old typewriters were made to last and modern keyboards are not, because nobody will be using the same computer keyboard for thirty years, is why I want the latter to be designed by the designers of the former because I really like things that are made to last way way longer than it needs to

IBM Model Ms are still in use, and people have been using them since the 80's with some repairs.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I often see things about old stuff lasting forever and I'm like

No

Often it did not.

Older CRT's from the 80's lasted forever, but CRT's from the late 90's were kinda shit. Because they cut costs and made them cheap.

Old thumb drives used to last for years. Now you're lucky if you get through a few file transfers. Because they cut costs and downgraded the chips used.

Some old stuff worked for years, most of it was disposable shit like we have today.

Tut tut. My Sony Trinitron from 1998 still works fine and I used that thing daily.

We're not talking about anchoring a boat, though.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    kirby is probably actually a hard counter to jigglypuff but no one ever noticed

• Options
    It is probably more that even more expensive keyboards are not designed to be easily repairable whil e most typewriters were expensive enough that repairing them made sense. A typewriter was like 200 dollars in 1979 without adjusting for inflation.

yeah I mean you couldn't have made disposable typewriters back in the 60s and 70s. They were expensive, even if you made them crap they were really expensive, so nobody would buy the crap ones.

we can make shit so cheap these days that we can just buy crap stuff and throw it out before it even breaks because something else will strike our fancy within a couple years anyways

which would be a pretty unthinkable mindset not that far back

(that would be $735 in today's dollars)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    8 bit guy did a video about the early sinclair computers which is kind of neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jr7Q1yJOUM

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Apex Legends

Rhodesian narrator intensifies

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    wait. wait a fucking minute

if we can't edit posts how do we deal with the drafts feature being total shit on toast?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    wait. wait a fucking minute

if we can't edit posts how do we deal with the drafts feature being total shit on toast?

a

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Don’t mess with the puff
    You’ll be dead sure ‘nuff

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I love the era where a billion companies made their own computers, half of which had almost no sales outside their home market.

• Options
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    oh god i can't edit posts i guess this will be my last post ever

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I love the era where a billion companies made their own computers, half of which had almost no sales outside their home market.

there was a period when RadioShack (which was still successful at the time) sold like 4 different computers in the same store that were all completely incompatible with each other

and one of those was pretty much the best PC on the market at the time

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    when people bemoan the fact that oh everything's crap today and nothing's made to last, washing machines are crap and the furniture's IKEA and everything, it's always "the greedy corporations are cutting corners for profit"

y'all are buying it, that's the reason. The companies would be happy to sell you well made quality shit, if that sold, but people want to buy cheap, so cheap sells. Then they complain that their cheap stuff is crap.

this hasn't really got anything to do with the conversation I'm just annoyed at a conversation with a guy about how modern furniture is crap, because it's not, you can still buy a good chair and really, it's no more pricier than it ever was, which always was: somewhat so, it's furniture, it lasts. Or, go to IKEA and buy something cheap that does not, if you so desire, but just please don't rant at coworkers about how modern furniture is crap

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    buying things for life is overrated

i'm deeply unhappy and new, shiny things help fill the void

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    when people bemoan the fact that oh everything's crap today and nothing's made to last, washing machines are crap and the furniture's IKEA and everything, it's always "the greedy corporations are cutting corners for profit"

y'all are buying it, that's the reason. The companies would be happy to sell you well made quality shit, if that sold, but people want to buy cheap, so cheap sells. Then they complain that their cheap stuff is crap.

this hasn't really got anything to do with the conversation I'm just annoyed at a conversation with a guy about how modern furniture is crap, because it's not, you can still buy a good chair and really, it's no more pricier than it ever was, which always was: somewhat so, it's furniture, it lasts. Or, go to IKEA and buy something cheap that does not, if you so desire, but just please don't rant at coworkers about how modern furniture is crap

wage_Growth.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    this is nuts

the genocide of native americans (90% of the population) resulted in a lot of cleared land being reclaimed and contributed to the start of the little ice age

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47063973

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    When Jigglypuff sings you are sent to the world of dreams

When Wigglytuff sings you are sent to the dreamless sleep of death

• Options
    this is not a dig at IKEA; I like IKEA; everything in here is IKEA. The main benefit is that when I move out I ain't taking none of this shit down the stairs, it's all going out the window, as I could do that, since it is IKEA.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The sky uses electricity.

Let me tell you about trusting the sky...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My tax returns were accepted

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Mean what you say

Say what you mean

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I would like to buy quality furniture, but it's so fucking heavy and hard to move, and my life right now is not compatible with that. That said, we're trying our best to slowly move away from disposable plastic everything and towards more durable, higher quality homeware.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    "There is a lot of talk around 'negative emissions' approaches and using tree-planting to take CO₂ out of the atmosphere to mitigate climate change," he told BBC News.

"And what we see from this study is the scale of what's required, because the Great Dying resulted in an area the size of France being reforested and that gave us only a few ppm. This is useful; it shows us what reforestation can do. But at the same, that kind of reduction is worth perhaps just two years of fossil fuel emissions at the present rate."

D :

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

wage_Growth.jpg

People used to have and buy less stuff though. And usually that stuff was seen as an investment. But they also had a house to safely store that investment, so because people move all the time they buy trash because good stuff will just get wrecked.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Did you guys hear there's a VR sequel to Groundhog Day coming out? It sounds kinda awesome. You're Phil's son from the original movie.

VR Groundhog Day seems like a great idea.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    maybe the solution to the jigglypuff problem is to ban melee

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

People used to make enough money to afford nice furniture.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

wage_Growth.jpg

People used to have and buy less stuff though. And usually that stuff was seen as an investment. But they also had a house to safely store that investment, so because people move all the time they buy trash because good stuff will just get wrecked.

Also buying power hasn't budged in nearly 40 years

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    40 years of development and innovation has basically passed people like you and me by.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

wage_Growth.jpg

Also buying power hasn't budged in nearly 40 years

it hasn't gone down

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "There is a lot of talk around 'negative emissions' approaches and using tree-planting to take CO₂ out of the atmosphere to mitigate climate change," he told BBC News.

"And what we see from this study is the scale of what's required, because the Great Dying resulted in an area the size of France being reforested and that gave us only a few ppm. This is useful; it shows us what reforestation can do. But at the same, that kind of reduction is worth perhaps just two years of fossil fuel emissions at the present rate."

D :
    The Industrial Age is the Great Filter ia ia ia

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.