As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'm not really into Dragonball history but my understanding is that Toriyama wanted to end Goku's story with Buu and the studio was like "nah, make 400 more of these."

I think it's actually with Cell, given that Gohan is the only one to go SSJ2 and is the one that kills him. Then the fact that Toriyama had to basically re-invent the android saga 2 different times as he was doing it due to the higher ups.

Then with DBS they just straight up made Goku a full on idiot. In DBZ there was always the hint of him being overly naive/innocent given his upbringing, but with DBS there's just people blatantly calling him out on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah by dragonball super toriyama had had some time away from dragonball, so he was willing to do goku again as long as he could have fun with it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Goku was always an idiot

• Options
    Goku was always an idiot

Right but theres a difference between letting vegeta/freeza live out of naivety and saying that in order for the tournament of power to have any meaning, the losing universes should be destroyed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I'm not really into Dragonball history but my understanding is that Toriyama wanted to end Goku's story with Buu and the studio was like "nah, make 400 more of these."

I think it's actually with Cell, given that Gohan is the only one to go SSJ2 and is the one that kills him. Then the fact that Toriyama had to basically re-invent the android saga 2 different times as he was doing it due to the higher ups.

Then with DBS they just straight up made Goku a full on idiot. In DBZ there was always the hint of him being overly naive/innocent given his upbringing, but with DBS there's just people blatantly calling him out on it.

I think it was debunked that he wanted to end with Cell. He actually wanted to end it with Freezer.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I always find Goku's popularity compared to the rest of the cast kind of baffling. Sure he's a shonen protagonist so he's kind of a cool dude but everyone around him are just more interesting characters in general and I think their refusal to "pass the torch" as it were is a bit of a bummer

listen, lemme stop you right there.

but what if you put a goku in it?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    They should basically have subtitled DBFZ "Oops, All Gokus"

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder what GB will be like 40 years from now.
    Brad will still be there. Brad will never leave.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Huh, a Navy FCU ad at the top of today's Beastcast. Parsing through the site's listener surveys would be fascinating.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    man, at some point I full on forgot there are ad versions of the podcast

is small business man still a thing?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    man, at some point I full on forgot there are ad versions of the podcast

is small business man still a thing?

Not really, but he'll occasionally show up on episodes where Vinny and Jeff are actually together

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Small Business Man graduated to Big Business Man on the final ad read before Vinny went out East.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Huh, a Navy FCU ad at the top of today's Beastcast. Parsing through the site's listener surveys would be fascinating.

The Bombcast ends with an ad for Art of Wrestling, a podcast about independent wrestling that I already subscribe to, so I always think that it's jumped to a new episode when the Bombcast is over.

As far as I know, nobody on staff has remarked on the fact that they're now advertising for a fairly popular podcast that is wrestling related.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    And speak of the devil, just finished the latest Art of Wrestling and what did I hear but Jeff Gerstmann introducing himself and his weekly gaming news podcast, The Giant Bombcast.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Never heard of him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

It would be hilarious if he just stopped aging.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

His hair goes grey, then black, and then just starts cycling through all the colors of the rainbow.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

His hair goes grey, then black, and then just starts cycling through all the colors of the rainbow.

I mean, a little robotic arm descends from the ceiling and fastens on his hair each morning now, I don’t see why adding different colors to the rotation would be hard.

• Options
    I have not really recognized any of Goldeneye since I haven't played it since it came out.

I got the weirdest wave of recognition on this complex level. The objectives, the music and some of the dialog. I must have played that level so many times that it is seated into my brain.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/glaTVhA2kf0

Rage 2 looks pretty good. It’s so odd that I’ve come to rely on Bethesda for good single player shooters. I’m also one of the dozens of people that loved the hell out of Mad Max and I’m happy to see Avalanche do a spiritual successor in some ways.

DOOM Eternal can’t get here fast enough.

Ceno on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I watched that Anthem quick look. I’ll be honest it looked a lot better than I expected, but I still don’t think that’s very good. It needs work I think but the potential is there.

Those menus though. Woof.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Those menus though. Woof.
    Yeah, I was very confused when trying to play a mission during the free trial, let me tell you. Took me a couple of minutes.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    They entered the wrong mission at the beginning of the QL and were completely baffled by it, as was I. I scrubbed back to see what happened and it looked even though they hovered over the mission point they wanted and then opened the menu, they hadn’t actively selected the mission they wanted and I guess it defaulted to the prior mission he’d done?

So I mean technically it was Jeff’s mistake but I completely understand why it happened because that UI Is not intuitive at all.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    anthem is one of those UIs that got iterated on over and over again by people deep in the hole of the game that really needed to be surfaced to people who were coming in completely blind more often

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    anthem is one of those UIs that got iterated on over and over again by people deep in the hole of the game that really needed to be surfaced to people who were coming in completely blind more often

It definitely feels as though it was not playtested at all

Heck it feels like they didn't have enough time, and this is a game that's been in development for at least five years

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    A lot of the mission select UI seems to be based around the starting point of you being in a party; who then get booted back to your own individual town hubs - that won't interfere with each other wanting to see a cutscene someone else already watched or go chit-chat up the bar maid or obsess over paint jobs; while someone looks at a mission list and then everyone gets a chance to see what was picked and ready up. Like so much of it seems to be in service/enslaved to this weird little single player bioware hub in a multiplayer loot shooter games as service game

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Oh man this bombcast is chock full of a VARIETY of Jeff rants

So good

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

So good
    He already spent 45 minutes ranting about Anthem on the drive in this morning, too. In case it isn’t clear from the Bombcast, he uh, does not like Anthem!

• Options
    His rant about people that are bitching about the Link’s Awakening Art style starts with an emphatic “LOOK MOTHERFUCKERS”

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

So good

Holy shit I'm less then five minutes in and he's already going off.

• Options
    Yeah from the moment from the Unfinished he started talking about Mass Effect and everything else it's pretty clear that he was not going to be down with Anthem's design

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    He makes some valid points about Anthem. I’m enjoying it personally and having fun but it needs some fixing.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Anthem has a lot of faults and doesn't do a great job explaining things, but Jeff is a tricky beast. He likes loot shooters (destiny/division/at least curious about anthem) but actively doesn't want to group with other people which is where the design of these games is headed

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    He makes some valid points about Anthem. I’m enjoying it personally and having fun but it needs some fixing.

I think the core gameplay of Anthem is a lot of fun, but it has a loooooooooooot of issues outside of the core gameplay. Like, the UI needs basically a complete overhaul.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Anyone else having trouble accessing the video for today's bombcast?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Anthem has a lot of faults and doesn't do a great job explaining things, but Jeff is a tricky beast. He likes loot shooters (destiny/division/at least curious about anthem) but actively doesn't want to group with other people which is where the design of these games is headed

I think it's odd because out of the entire crew I tend to jive pretty well with Jeff's opinions on first-person shooter design, but here he's pretty down on the movement and gunplay and I feel like I might be taking crazy pills because I think the movement design is smart and great and while the gunplay isn't BioWare's best (ME3 still carries the crown) I certainly don't think it's as mediocre as he makes it out to be

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Anyone else having trouble accessing the video for today's bombcast?
    there's video?

;)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »

I think it's odd because out of the entire crew I tend to jive pretty well with Jeff's opinions on first-person shooter design, but here he's pretty down on the movement and gunplay and I feel like I might be taking crazy pills because I think the movement design is smart and great and while the gunplay isn't BioWare's best (ME3 still carries the crown) I certainly don't think it's as mediocre as he makes it out to be

Playing the beta it almost seemed like the enemies were too small? It was hard to make out what I was shooting at a lot of the time, and the angles were just all weird. It's hard to put into words but everything looked off.

And this was on a 65" TV.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I guess I'll wait for Jeff's drive rant to be uploaded to YouTube or something.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's weird cause I can see and agree with a lot of the criticism of Anthem, but I can't stop myself from playing it. Destiny to me was boring as fuck, and The Division was a dull, bullet-sponge hell with a morally bankrupt plot. Anthem might not have a guild system, a fully-developed world (yet), an explained list of combat mechanics/item stats, variety in terrain, great AI, variety in gun design, variety in enemies, but fuck if it isn't fun to play.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
This discussion has been closed.