As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Free flight as a game mechanic massively increases the cost of content generation and the complexity of game design for a small average increase in enjoyment (and based on what mechanics you put in place to counteract flying, may actually reduce average enjoyment instead). I'd argue that if you're not going to base your gameplay loop around the fact you can fly anywhere at any time then you shouldn't implement it.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Was relistening to the "Reggie/Fuck Em!" bit again today, and how has nobody modded in a picture of Reggie onto Rico's parachute in the Just Cause games the way they joke about Reggie doing with the truck carrying NES Classics?

edit: They mention him driving the truck into a ravine so nobody can have any, while parachuting out to safety and having a giant image that just says "FUCK EM" on it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Ok. I've giving it time but...

I fucking hate the new website. It is worse in every way possible and I don't understand the design decisions behind it (even after listening to the dev casts) and am woefully underwhelmed with the technical implementation of it.

agree! it's markedly worse for written content or just quickly finding all the latest videos, and it's also worse for watching videos since you can no longer embiggen so they are smaller!

great changes all around.

You can still embiggen on the GB player. Hover over the full screen button and you get two options.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I find the complaints about the cool down on flight massively inflated.

It seems like one easy point to grasp at that is actually no big deal.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Different strokes and all that. See also people bothered about encumbrance ("regularly offloading stuff is no big deal", etc) or other restriction mechanics whose downsides they don't think outweigh the gameplay feel/benefit of.

Personally I would have just made low level flight heat-free and started pumping heat if you went too high; that way you couldn't avoid combat or bump into the skybox while at the same time not making exploration a constant chore of Find The Water. Filling emptying bars ain't fun.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Different strokes and all that. See also people bothered about encumbrance ("regularly offloading stuff is no big deal", etc) or other restriction mechanics whose downsides they don't think outweigh the gameplay feel/benefit of.

Personally I would have just made low level flight heat-free and started pumping heat if you went too high; that way you couldn't avoid combat or bump into the skybox while at the same time not making exploration a constant chore of Find The Water. Filling emptying bars ain't fun.

I think that would be a decent compromise

That said, flying low around lakes and puddles already does this (you don't necessarily have to touch the surface) and divebombing actively reduces heat, I think making the altitude where this happens more generous would be a good idea

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Regarding the Anthem QL, I don't get why they so often make Brad the POV camera for multi-person streams. Like, they switch away to Jeff at points, so clearly Brad's not the only source they can use, but they still stick to the person who tends to dither around and miss out on gameplay half the time.

Especially in this case, where Jeff is the person who's played the game the most and will probably show off the combat best.

[edit] Man, that QL ended in the most appropriate way.

Glal on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Holy fuck that live chat on YouTube is something else entirely, even for a comments section on YouTube

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »

I fucking hate the new website. It is worse in every way possible and I don't understand the design decisions behind it (even after listening to the dev casts) and am woefully underwhelmed with the technical implementation of it.

agree! it's markedly worse for written content or just quickly finding all the latest videos, and it's also worse for watching videos since you can no longer embiggen so they are smaller!

You can still embiggen on the GB player. Hover over the full screen button and you get two options.

That's not embiggen, though. That's the "fill browser" feature, which isn't the same thing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

That's not embiggen, though. That's the "fill browser" feature, which isn't the same thing.

yes, it's actually quite different from what embiggen used to be sadly. fill browser doesn't let you scroll down, read some comments, then scroll back up. It locks the video to the browser without it actually being full screen.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just realized it's been over a year since Jeff updated the GB Minute feed.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I just realized it's been over a year since Jeff updated the GB Minute feed.

Anime killed the radio star

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Well remember, the feed itself is stagnant but they would still air on CBS owned radio stations, and then Jeff would just upload a bunch at a time.

Like I said, at the end of the Art of Wrestling, Jeff does do a little GB minute-like thing where he talks about how the Giant Bombcast doesn't have people screaming at you (though he admits there has probably been some screaming over the years)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Fun fact: you can actually play multiple podcasts in the same window.

I accidentally had 3 ASGs running today because my mouse was being a bit wonky. That made for a confusing start to the shows.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHozRoQ3a0

Brad is the best and I won't hear any naysayin' about this excellent man

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    wait, that's not jeff in that clip?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Just listened to the Beastcast from last week. Why does it not surprise me that Dan would want to be a sidekick on 24. Dude should watch Jon Bois' video on why that's a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Also, you know, maybe rethink being a fan of that show.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Turn your brain off and enjoy the show.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I actually rewatched that after dan started on this recent 24 kick. Jon Bois always good

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Dan is very superficial when it comes to the stuff he consumes. (Games, movies, brands in general)

He doesn't care if there's a deeper reason to why Batman doesn't kill, or that 24 is problematic, or that companies like Walmart and Amazon offer their cheap prices off the backs of the workers employed there.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dan has simple tastes.

This is not to say he's a simple person, he's not in a lot of ways, but a thing only has to check a few of his boxes for him to love it unconditionally.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I loved it at the time, but I wouldn’t watch 24 today. I suspect it did not age well.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I actually rewatched that after dan started on this recent 24 kick. Jon Bois always good

Also Jon Bois fucking great how did I not know he had a podcast?

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jon Bois has a podcast?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Well either that or we have several liars in this thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought that’s what the YT link was but obviously I am wrk g. Sorry to get everyone’s hopes up.

Jon Bois really should have a podcast though.

• Options
    I loved it at the time, but I wouldn’t watch 24 today. I suspect it did not age well.

It did not, especially since people in the military have since gone on record saying that 24 directly influenced military operations and likely increased the use of torture.

But whatever. Cool guy action, I guess.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Was Jack Bauer ever really a cool action guy. In my memory he was kinda a brutal monster that did terrible things because they "needed" to be done, even inside the universe of the show. I haven't seen 24 in an age, but that was mostly my take.

Kinda far away from that fun campy Schwarzenegger action guy trope in my mind.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Was Jack Bauer ever really a cool action guy. In my memory he was kinda a brutal monster that did terrible things because they "needed" to be done, even inside the universe of the show. I haven't seen 24 in an age, but that was mostly my take.

Kinda far away from that fun campy Schwarzenegger action guy trope in my mind.

He ran around sounding tough, shooting bad guys, and saving the day. I'm sure that's all Dan really saw, and that's enough to make him a cool action guy in his eyes.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm very sure Dan has never once thought about the political implications of what went on in 24 and were someone like Austin to explain it to him, he would politely listen, go "yeah I guess that's bad," and change nothing about his feverish love for it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    From today's Beastcast, the real reason Dan is a monster:
    He is a filthy bathroom line cutter

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Less than five minutes into the Beastcast and already Dan is in rare form.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Hoo boy

I guess it’s been a while since he decided to either turn it on or turn it off (I’m not sure which leads to the most amount of “Dan”)

• Options
    oh no dan.

this is bar stinkbomb territory.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    the fact that he honestly believes it's not line cutting is a real problem

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

It says a lot about him in that he apparently doesn't comprehend WHY line cutting is bad, just that is is, so because his actions don't meet the literal definition, he thinks he's in the clear.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I haven't listened yet but are we back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells?

Because it sounds like we're back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I haven't listened yet but are we back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells?

Because it sounds like we're back to making sweeping generalizations about Dan's whole character based on tiny anecdotes he tells.

Dan has told a lot of anecdotes and they all paint a picture of a person who sees the world at surface level only. We have hundreds of hours of hearing Dan talk about his life and his opinions on things. "Tiny anecdotes" is underselling it. It's not insane for people to think they have a decent idea of Dan's psyche.

Also, he's a line cutting monster.

It says a lot about him in that he apparently doesn't comprehend WHY line cutting is bad, just that is is, so because his actions don't meet the literal definition, he thinks he's in the clear.

This reminded me of Dan being confused as to why cops wouldn't just arrest everyone doing drugs in a park at a 4-20 party or whatever it was that one time, because he didn't see past the surface level "but that's illegal" to any of the "but also arresting that many people is unfeasible" sort of details.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yesterday's Breakfast 'N' Ben was fun. Ben and Jeff have great chemistry, and just having one person play with the other person just watching and chatting kept it more high energy and positive than murder islands often end up

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Haven't listened yet but if the anecdotes a person chooses to share with you bother you, there is a good chance that persons character will bother you

PSN SeGaTai
This discussion has been closed.