As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    skyrim's combat is really bad, much like most of the gameplay in bethesda games

You think Prey, Doom, and Fallout have bad gameplay?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    30+cm by tomorrow morning.

I'm going to walk into work as a snow bank.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The biggest challenge in Skyrim is trying to loot that one elk corpse in the spike pit near whiterun without taking random damage from the spikes.
    If you can loot the entire spike pit without taking damage then you are ready to tame the dragons

i almost did it once

almost

you got greedy trying to pick up that one coin purse didn't you.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Pretty much the only games that get the feeling of a difficulty curve right for me are rhythm games like guitar hero, elite beat agents, rock band, or beat saber.

Because they start you off with an easy task that you're clumsy at. Just looking at expert play is like watching a fkin wizard. And then with absolutely zero mechanical changes or upgrades or character progression, within a few days of playing, you start getting there. All it takes is instructively designed note charts with a really good curve going from easy to normal to hard to expert.

Most RPGs, shooters, and action games just simulate the feeling of improving by giving you better gear and stat buffs. You improve slightly but it's dwarfed by artificial improvement and that's really shitty. I get that people want to simulate the feeling of becoming a virtuoso but if feels artificial and bad to me most of the time.

Roguelikes come close to the right difficulty curve but frequently miss the mark. Fighting games are similar too, but AI fighters are too cheesable and human opponents perform too unevenly for the really clean, obvious feeling of improvement.

well design city builder games with scenarios, like Pharoah or Children of the Nile, usually have a good difficulty progression to them.

Only problem I have with Pharoah is when you start getting to the monument building levels. Some of those take FOREVER because of the limited supply of building materials you can get via trade. You can have all the money and employment in the world, but if they only deliver 1200 blocks each trade cycle, it's gonna be slow.

One of the patches (which is in the GoG version) added an option for accelerated monument construction to help with that problem.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the number of times lydia ran in front of me screaming racist nord shit as i was firing my bow and i shot her in the back of the head and killed her

i just started using the console to resurrect her

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    After finishing Breath of the Wild my boyfriend wanted to revisit Skyrim, since it's one of his favorite games and it had clearly inspired a bunch of BotW.

We laughed and laughed and laughed at how bad the combat and movement were by contrast and how fucking stupid it was to "skyrim" up mountains after playing a game where the movement feel had been tuned for years by the best studio in the industry.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The biggest challenge in Skyrim is trying to loot that one elk corpse in the spike pit near whiterun without taking random damage from the spikes.
    If you can loot the entire spike pit without taking damage then you are ready to tame the dragons

i almost did it once

almost

you got greedy trying to pick up that one coin purse didn't you.

if i could

just

reach

a little

*dies*

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Doom had Id software though

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    After finishing Breath of the Wild my boyfriend wanted to revisit Skyrim, since it's one of his favorite games and it had clearly inspired a bunch of BotW.

We laughed and laughed and laughed at how bad the combat and movement were by contrast and how fucking stupid it was to "skyrim" up mountains after playing a game where the movement feel had been tuned for years by the best studio in the industry.

BotW's engine with a story like skyrim would be a VERY formidable entry in the RPG genre I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

BotW's engine with a story like skyrim would be a VERY formidable entry in the RPG genre I think.
    what if we gave it a good story

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Fallout 3 and 4 have very weak gunplay. The most interesting the game gets is setting up weird traps. Beyond that, you're playing a ~2000ish shooter.

Prey and Doom, only being published by Bethesda, rather than designed by Bethesda Game Studio, have enjoyable gameplay.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have a problem, I went to a mall after work and just did grocery shopping. They have one of those camera based parking systems but when I left it didn't show me logging out. My signs are too dirty for the computer to read. There's a scenario where it did read me going in though so now I feel like I have to call them tomorrow just to make sure I'm not paying for a month of parking or whatever.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    One of Skyrims best parts was jumping up a sheer cliff with my horse, very fluid and natural gameplay.

• Options
    the number of times lydia ran in front of me screaming racist nord shit as i was firing my bow and i shot her in the back of the head and killed her

Doesn't that require two shots Chanus? One to put her into the DBNO state, and another to actually kill her?

Is there something else you'd like to tell us?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Fallout 3 and 4 have very weak gunplay. The most interesting the game gets is setting up weird traps. Beyond that, you're playing a ~2000ish shooter.

Prey and Doom, only being published by Bethesda, rather than designed by Bethesda Game Studio, have enjoyable gameplay.

The hybrid FPS and VATS thing can only be accurately described as "fucky"

sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good, but it's always fucky.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I had this mage guy as a companion and he died in the Dragonborn expansion.
    I also had the vampire lady.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    CBbmQD4l.jpg

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i actually kind of like skyrim but it's very much in spite of itself

i often wonder if bethesda ever plays their games

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

Doesn't that require two shots Chanus? One to put her into the DBNO state, and another to actually kill her?

Is there something else you'd like to tell us?

i seem to recall one shotting her enough times that i learned how to resurrect her with the console

maybe it was one shot and then i got mad and just killed her for being so dumb i dunno

• Options
    Although I rag on Bethesda a fair bit, I'll never stop being impressed about the bucket-on-the-head trick working for thievery. That sort of emergent gameplay is fantastic.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

fallout 3 and 4 absolutely
    prey and doom weren't developed by bethesda

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well?

Do dragons fart fire?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    there is/was a mod on the steam store that would start you in a random location with some basic gear and ignore the main story entirely

using that i got a few dozen more hours out of the game making up stories in my head about character origins and stuff

then i tried to get all the steam cheevos and the daedric artifact one bugged out and wouldn't give me credit for it even though i got them all and i got mad and stopped playing forever

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well?

Do dragons fart fire?

i never finished college

• Options
    Always dragon shout the rude lady off the bridge at Winterhold.

• Options
    Dragons can be resurrected.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only games that get the feeling of a difficulty curve right for me are rhythm games like guitar hero, elite beat agents, rock band, or beat saber.

Because they start you off with an easy task that you're clumsy at. Just looking at expert play is like watching a fkin wizard. And then with absolutely zero mechanical changes or upgrades or character progression, within a few days of playing, you start getting there. All it takes is instructively designed note charts with a really good curve going from easy to normal to hard to expert.

Most RPGs, shooters, and action games just simulate the feeling of improving by giving you better gear and stat buffs. You improve slightly but it's dwarfed by artificial improvement and that's really shitty. I get that people want to simulate the feeling of becoming a virtuoso but if feels artificial and bad to me most of the time.

Roguelikes come close to the right difficulty curve but frequently miss the mark. Fighting games are similar too, but AI fighters are too cheesable and human opponents perform too unevenly for the really clean, obvious feeling of improvement.

any multiplayer game with a decent elo/matchmaking system does this for me

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    there is/was a mod on the steam store that would start you in a random location with some basic gear and ignore the main story entirely

using that i got a few dozen more hours out of the game making up stories in my head about character origins and stuff

then i tried to get all the steam cheevos and the daedric artifact one bugged out and wouldn't give me credit for it even though i got them all and i got mad and stopped playing forever

No doubt this took less effort but I killed 10 dragons in DA:I and then it didn't give me the trophy for it. Restarting the game and getting to the first dragon again to tick one more is several work days of effort.

I sold all my games and became a zoroastrian monk.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man my street is a sheet of ice

Ugh

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

what if we gave it a good story

Well... fantasy based stuff but with more than "the world is gone, and swords break easy!" that we got with BotW. I didn't say replicate skyrim!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    i feel like if a creature evolved a fire-creation apparatus it would be localized. it wouldn't just spew out fire anywhere willy nilly.

• Options
    The only achievement I've ever really hated (other than ones that require you to do top tier difficulty stuff in a party) is that one from HL2:ep3 that requires you stomp every one of ~400 grubs, many of which are well hidden. Bleugh.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I play skyrim on easy because I hate bullet spongey enemies.

I'd rather fight 30 bad guys than one bad guy with 30 times the health.

Crowd control style combat in first person or over the shoulder games has never felt great to me. Worse than damage sponges for me.

Actually, that's like the one thing I thought Anthem did well. Enemies were shielded so you needed to focus them, but to do that you needed to control the crowds. Being able to fly and hover made it viable and it felt like a reimagining of a 2D shoot em up like smash TV or something.

Yeah I can appreciate that. I like the kiting and exploit terrain metagame more than using potions and exploiting enchanting.
    I find myself in new games trying weapons and mixing things up until I have something truly exploitive. Oftentimes the heavy hitting sword isn’t super great, especially when combat is calculated in a linear strength+attack sort of way. A weapon that swings twice as fast with half the attack is way better except against super high armor opponents, and in most games they are rare, or there are abilities that pierce armor (magic alternate range weapons, etc). Sometimes the game give you enough money for a slightly upgraded weapon and I’m like this is what the developers intended, but I’m going to buy armor instead because I think I’ll be better served going from 1 armor pants to 10 armor pants as opposed to going from a 10 atk sword to 14 atk sword.

Think, what are the devs trying to get me to do, and maybe try something else.

zepherin on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    this is to say that a dragon might breathe fire or fart fire but it wouldn't do both

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am still in awe of Breath of the Wild's movement system. They married like, everything good about the controls of every modern video game. It got freeform climbing from assassin's creed without the weird floaty animation or too snappy movement. You have combat that has some lock on assists but without like, weird batman shit. Parries and counters, dodges, rolls, and bullet time while in the air.

You have Nintendo's famously good 3rd person adventure game controls they've been working on since Mario 64 that permit character movement in all three dimensions while the camera moves independently, without ever requiring that you whip the stick around to stop yourself from, say, getting off a ladder and then climbing right back up it (a big fuck you to every single other video game ever made on this btw)

All actions limited by a relatively simple stamina system that unifies across bullet time, climbing, running, and combat, but nicely balanced.

Goofy sandbox abilities from games like Just Cause. Horse movement that seems like a masterclass on how to control a horse in a video game.

It does so much right and pulls from everywhere at once.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    this is to say that a dragon might breathe fire or fart fire but it wouldn't do both

It would be a great idea if it did in a comedy game.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't mind a high difficulty curve. I'm stuck in the middle of Celeste right now. Every time I got back to it, I get a little bit further. Maybe I'll never finish it. That's fine.

Stuff that absolutely kill a game for me are things like slow movement speed, lack of interactivity, and unskippable cutscenes.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    god the get off the ladder only to get right back on the ladder thing

fucking

fuck

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

What if it breathed through it's butt?

also how they fly

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

No doubt this took less effort but I killed 10 dragons in DA:I and then it didn't give me the trophy for it. Restarting the game and getting to the first dragon again to tick one more is several work days of effort.

I sold all my games and became a zoroastrian monk.

I thought you left.

Couldn't stay away?

I don't know what you're talking about, a pagan monk sold me this account when I was passing him on the street just 5 minutes ago. He said he was "out", I bought it for a medium sized grapefruit. This was my first ever post.

This discussion has been closed.