As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't mind a high difficulty curve. I'm stuck in the middle of Celeste right now. Every time I got back to it, I get a little bit further. Maybe I'll never finish it. That's fine.

Stuff that absolutely kill a game for me are things like slow movement speed, lack of interactivity, and unskippable cutscenes.

Titan Souls and the slow movement made me so angry

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    it only took me an hour to drive home from the vet that is only 10 minutes away

hooray stopping on hills during a snow storm

rip my tires

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    What do people want out of Bethesda's companions? I think FO4 actually did it quite well with lots of personalized lines for various locations, involved personal sidequests, loyalty points, etc but for me Skyrim's were just hella frustrating and shallow; like even Serana was a personality-less extra carry weight trap-triggerer with the same six lines about caves and sunlight. But I can see why people would want that in a game that's more obviously about exploration

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    there is/was a mod on the steam store that would start you in a random location with some basic gear and ignore the main story entirely

using that i got a few dozen more hours out of the game making up stories in my head about character origins and stuff

then i tried to get all the steam cheevos and the daedric artifact one bugged out and wouldn't give me credit for it even though i got them all and i got mad and stopped playing forever

No doubt this took less effort but I killed 10 dragons in DA:I and then it didn't give me the trophy for it. Restarting the game and getting to the first dragon again to tick one more is several work days of effort.

I sold all my games and became a zoroastrian monk.

I thought you left.

Couldn't stay away?

I don't know what you're talking about, a pagan monk sold me this account when I was passing him on the street just 5 minutes ago. He said he was "out", I bought it for a medium sized grapefruit. This was my first ever post.

Congrats! As a welcoming gift, I'd like to offer you this job that just opened up in the mailroom.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    What do people want out of Bethesda's companions? I think FO4 actually did it quite well but for meSkyrim's were just hella frustrating and shallow; like even Serana was a personality-less extra carry weight trap-triggerer with the same six lines about caves and sunlight

I want them to be dogs and/or robots who carry stuff and kill people

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    What do people want out of Bethesda's companions? I think FO4 actually did it quite well but for meSkyrim's were just hella frustrating and shallow; like even Serana was a personality-less extra carry weight trap-triggerer with the same six lines about caves and sunlight

honestly i want my games to be like my real life

no companions

new publisher ruined that in my real life now also

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    this is to say that a dragon might breathe fire or fart fire but it wouldn't do both

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Errol

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Moon_dragon

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only games that get the feeling of a difficulty curve right for me are rhythm games like guitar hero, elite beat agents, rock band, or beat saber.

Because they start you off with an easy task that you're clumsy at. Just looking at expert play is like watching a fkin wizard. And then with absolutely zero mechanical changes or upgrades or character progression, within a few days of playing, you start getting there. All it takes is instructively designed note charts with a really good curve going from easy to normal to hard to expert.

Most RPGs, shooters, and action games just simulate the feeling of improving by giving you better gear and stat buffs. You improve slightly but it's dwarfed by artificial improvement and that's really shitty. I get that people want to simulate the feeling of becoming a virtuoso but if feels artificial and bad to me most of the time.

Roguelikes come close to the right difficulty curve but frequently miss the mark. Fighting games are similar too, but AI fighters are too cheesable and human opponents perform too unevenly for the really clean, obvious feeling of improvement.
    There are a lot of precision platformers that do this well, I think.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really think if they like tripled weapon durability in botw and halved the amount of weapons that dropped I think the game would've been better.

I just avoid combat because weapon swapping, while quick, was just way too much of a hassle

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

Real photo of Arch doing research

@Arch what is going on here

Are their vegetarian mantids, or is that not a mantid, or is it trying to find WHO DID THIS SO I CAN EAT THEM

this is a damselfly that is probably just peeking through the hole in a leaf someone else left

damselflies are predators

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't mind a high difficulty curve. I'm stuck in the middle of Celeste right now. Every time I got back to it, I get a little bit further. Maybe I'll never finish it. That's fine.

Stuff that absolutely kill a game for me are things like slow movement speed, lack of interactivity, and unskippable cutscenes.

Titan Souls and the slow movement made me so angry

I really tried to love that game and I just couldn't

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    breath of the wild definitely survived going back and remains a top 3 for me I am pretty damn sure. it was SO HARD to play without the floaty thing though. the died like 5 times just from jumping and not having it. also low stamina is hard to go back to.

so fucking good though.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    ah i see, two posts later vishnub explains that

damnit @VishNub

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Pretty much the only games that get the feeling of a difficulty curve right for me are rhythm games like guitar hero, elite beat agents, rock band, or beat saber.

Because they start you off with an easy task that you're clumsy at. Just looking at expert play is like watching a fkin wizard. And then with absolutely zero mechanical changes or upgrades or character progression, within a few days of playing, you start getting there. All it takes is instructively designed note charts with a really good curve going from easy to normal to hard to expert.

Most RPGs, shooters, and action games just simulate the feeling of improving by giving you better gear and stat buffs. You improve slightly but it's dwarfed by artificial improvement and that's really shitty. I get that people want to simulate the feeling of becoming a virtuoso but if feels artificial and bad to me most of the time.

Roguelikes come close to the right difficulty curve but frequently miss the mark. Fighting games are similar too, but AI fighters are too cheesable and human opponents perform too unevenly for the really clean, obvious feeling of improvement.

Oh good point. Mario obviously but also stuff like Super Meat Boy or Celeste.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "do I use this hammer... what if I need the hammer for a physics puzzle.. oh no I fucked up the physics because it's not intuitive"

fucking golf temple I had to redo that one like 6 times to get it right and I only lucked out because the physics got just right with a random bounce when I was frustrated

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Oh good point. Mario obviously but also stuff like Super Meat Boy or Celeste.
    I, of course, have to stan for Dustforce as well.

• Options
    In my whole life, I have never actually beaten World 8 in Super Mario Brothers 3.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    ah i see, two posts later vishnub explains that

damnit VishNub

I got you fam

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    cb you old you don't stan for things

you just stan things

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    What do people want out of Bethesda's companions? I think FO4 actually did it quite well with lots of personalized lines for various locations, involved personal sidequests, loyalty points, etc but for me Skyrim's were just hella frustrating and shallow; like even Serana was a personality-less extra carry weight trap-triggerer with the same six lines about caves and sunlight. But I can see why people would want that in a game that's more obviously about exploration
    702682133_WHS2N-2100x20000.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Deckard Pain is out now
    Rejoice
    For HotS has gone Vietnam Era on us.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

you just stan things
    chanus stan stanning

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    the number of times lydia ran in front of me screaming racist nord shit as i was firing my bow and i shot her in the back of the head and killed her

i just started using the console to resurrect her
    Doesn't that require two shots Chanus? One to put her into the DBNO state, and another to actually kill her?

Is there something else you'd like to tell us?

i seem to recall one shotting her enough times that i learned how to resurrect her with the console

maybe it was one shot and then i got mad and just killed her for being so dumb i dunno

Praying for chan-chan right now

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Chanus is chanchan the kind of person who would perhaps be interested in picking up and moving to Sweden at a later date

I'm invested in your Scandinavian adventures

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I lost my husband to BoTW a month ago. He just got the DLC and always has maps up on his laptop and I think he might be trying to 100% the korok seeds.

• Options

you just stan things

I didn't go to college just to sit idly by while you butcher our language

I won't stanford this

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    In my whole life, I have never actually beaten World 8 in Super Mario Brothers 3.

I genuinely don't know if have either, at least not legitimately. Those fucking hands dragging you into the trap levels. The airship flying around the map. I can picture clearly the final stages of Mario 1, 2, World, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey but not the final level of Mario 3.

• Options
    Chanus is chanchan the kind of person who would perhaps be interested in picking up and moving to Sweden at a later date

it hasn't really come up yet so i dunno

she doesn't have a lot of travel experience so i assume we'll need to go on some adventures first at least

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The thing with Skyrim's combat is that there's like 3 mods to install that make it 1000x better in every way.

• Options
    Also New Super Mario Bros is trash. The whole series and especially the aesthetic please @ me if you need this message repeated

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The thing with Skyrim's combat is that there's like 3 mods to install that make it 1000x better in every way.
    no matter what magic still broken though
    even with the magic mods

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

you just stan things

can you also ollie things

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Imagine the taxes you'd pay for your new job here Chanus.

Missing out.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    we may find out in a couple weeks if it turns out i'm not getting a substantial raise

at that point, operation fuck off to sweden will be back on in full force

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

it hasn't really come up yet so i dunno

she doesn't have a lot of travel experience so i assume we'll need to go on some adventures first at least

Sounds like a trip to Sweden is in order

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    a
    Elki wrote: »
    @Sir Landshark it takes 30 to 60 minutes to get the 650 light weapon from Crimson Days.

@elki noice what do you have to do? play doubles?

The weapon costs 100 thingies.

The weekly bounty for doing a nightfall with 2 gives 75 thingies. All daily bounties, which are super easy, give 15. Wins in doubles give 7, losses give 5.

After playing for an hour and a half, I had 175.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't think I've ever played a modded video game for more than a couple hours.

It seems like any game with a strong base for modding is a game that's absolutely Not For Me in the base game.

E: Dwarf Fortress with UI and dwarf status mods is the only exception

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I liked Dragon's Dogma's weird sexdoll system because they very specifically didn't have personalities/souls(?) and you could just dress them up and instruct them on how to fight. I liked FO4's companions because they tried very hard to make all of the companions deep and layered but you could also just have your dog or an army of hilariously-painted killer robots with the Automaton DLC. Same with ME2 on the characterization front.

Skyrim's follower system wanted to combine the two and just ended up with NPCs who felt very obviously like NPCs with nothing to say for major quests or your insane murderhobo morality or anything. You can recruit Mjoll the Lioness, principled enemy to the Thieves' Guild, and do that entire questline then do the Dark Bro questline and she doesn't give a shit. They already solved this kind of shit in New Vegas! (Oh wait that wasn't them)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Home with the flu so Im watching Next Generation for the first time

Man, Code of Honor makes me uncomfortable.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.