Options

[MCU] Far From Home Is Close At Hand (Endgame Spoilers All Up Ins)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Assuming no knowledge at all about the MCU, even through pop culture osmosis, I'd assume somebody would just think it's something for an animated/3D cartoon.

There are people who still have no clue about anything Star Wars, so it's possible for those people to exist.

I found out last night that Mrs Rhesus has never seen The Wizard of Oz and has not experienced any pop cultural osmosis regarding its contents (she was given the book as a child and gave up within the first chapter as she felt that the style was too simplistic)

That means that she didn’t get the “I get that reference” joke in Avengers

Has she since seen the movie?

No - she caught a bit of a radio adaptation of the novel, and it only solidified her opinion that it's not her thing

I only found this out after a reference to a farmhouse dropping on someone was met with incomprehension

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, there’s no place like home.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, there’s no place like home.

I get goosebumps every time Gandalf says that.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I actually have a replica of the first edition of The Wizard of Oz.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's kind of hard for me to believe that anyone growing up the US doesn't have a functional knowledge of the Wizard of Oz. I'm fairly sure I've never actually sat down and watched the movie, but I could tell you almost everything that happens in it.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2019
    It's kind of hard for me to believe that anyone growing up the US doesn't have a functional knowledge of the Wizard of Oz. I'm fairly sure I've never actually sat down and watched the movie, but I could tell you almost everything that happens in it.
    For me, this is an opportunity. You can play the "Describe The Plot of Star Wars" game. Whenever you find someone who has blissfully remained unaware of Star Wars, you can ask them to, in the span of 5 minutes, describe the plot and characters of Star Wars (single movie, trilogy, whatever) and see what they come up with and how close they can get. It's a lot of fun! My girlfriend has never seen any Star Wars movies except Rogue One (which is weird), and she got about 90% of the plot of the original trilogy right. She confused Yoda, Chewie, and the Ewoks and seemed to think that all of them were somehow the same "bear-like" creature. To this day, she still calls Yoda a "bear" to annoy me.

I would do the exact same thing here, but with The Wizard of Oz.

I should start doing this with my friends who don't watch MCU movies. "Hey, describe to me the plot and characters of Ant-Man".

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    For me, this is an opportunity. You can play the "Describe The Plot of Star Wars" game. Whenever you find someone who has blissfully remained unaware of Star Wars, you can ask them to, in the span of 5 minutes, describe the plot and characters of Star Wars (single movie, trilogy, whatever) and see what they come up with and how close they can get. It's a lot of fun! My girlfriend has never seen any Star Wars movies except Rogue One (which is weird), and she got about 90% of the plot of the original trilogy right. She confused Yoda, Chewie, and the Ewoks and seemed to think that all of them were somehow the same "bear-like" creature. To this day, she still calls Yoda a "bear" to annoy me.

I should start doing this with my friends who don't watch MCU movies. "Hey, describe to me the plot and characters of Ant-Man".

Is a wookie a bear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77B2ZvxT59Q

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

My mom has only seen Iron Man 1, 2, and 3

I asked her to name the character on this poster

8sd5pjy5kw7l.jpeg

“His name is ... Revenge Rodent”

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

My mom has only seen Iron Man 1, 2, and 3

I asked her to name the character on this poster

8sd5pjy5kw7l.jpeg

“His name is ... Revenge Rodent”

I can see someone in-universe calling him that.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    https://www.newsarama.com/44506-international-avengers-endgame-poster-reveals-china-release-date-report.html

I love this poster. I also love that central to the poster is the original Avengers, the ones that started it all. This movie will be a nice and gut punch of a send off to the original team, me thinks. <3

Also love the shadows of those lost. :cry:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It is incredible to me that

Spoilers for End Game, though Marvel kinda spoiled this themselves
    We had no idea Valkarie was going to show up in Endgame right? Now she's showing up on posters and stuff.

That seems like a really weird thing to hold to your chest until a month before the movie is out.

• Options
    I am not looking at it.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    One thing I've been thinking about is the Far From Home trailer. A lot of people have cited it as evidence that the Snap will be entirely reversed and forgotten by the end of Endgame, because everyone is still quippy and light-hearted, and who could possibly be so casual in a post-Snap world?

Teenagers. Teenagers could be so casual. Especially teenagers in 2019, who are staring down the barrel of everything wrong with the world that they're going to have to deal with when us old people die.

So yeah, while I think it's obvious the Snap will be reversed (in whole or in part) by the end of A4, I don't think it's a slam-dunk that everyone will have forgotten about it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

We had no idea Valkarie was going to show up in Endgame right? Now she's showing up on posters and stuff.

That seems like a really weird thing to hold to your chest until a month before the movie is out.
    Russos said at some point she and others survived on the other half of the ship.

Quid on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    https://www.newsarama.com/44506-international-avengers-endgame-poster-reveals-china-release-date-report.html

I love this poster. I also love that central to the poster is the original Avengers, the ones that started it all. This movie will be a nice and gut punch of a send off to the original team, me thinks. <3

Also love the shadows of those lost. :cry:

Rogers looks kinda weird in that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Russos said at some point she and others survived on the other half of the ship.

Way to talk around the spoilers, man :)
    Just because she survived doesn't mean she was going to show up in this film. Korg and Miek supposedly survived as well and they're not getting posters.[/spoilers]

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Poster spoilers:
    Assuming it’s not bait, Wong is also on the poster along with Valkyrie.

I’m thinking she is who will rescue Tony and Nebula. That’s also assuming the “no more oxygen” trailer isn’t bait either.

Also, Shuri is a shadow too.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    More poster spoilers (that made me lol):

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Poster spoilers:
    Assuming it’s not bait, Wong is also on the poster along with Valkyrie.

I’m thinking she is who will rescue Tony and Nebula. That’s also assuming the “no more oxygen” trailer isn’t bait either.

Also, Shuri is a shadow too.
    Hey there, we were just on our way to Earth to help fight Thanos. Wanna come?

Please make it happen Marvel!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I hope that Nebula
    gets the gauntlet.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Nevermind beatd

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    As much as people probably want a resolution in Endgame, I do hope they'll take some time to show us what the post-snap world is like. Not just mopey Cap & Co aching to get their avenging on - I would like to have at least a few scenes that are basically Marvel's take on The Leftovers. I know it'd be naive to expect too much of this, but I would very much like just a bit of it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    As much as people probably want a resolution in Endgame, I do hope they'll take some time to show us what the post-snap world is like. Not just mopey Cap & Co aching to get their avenging on - I would like to have at least a few scenes that are basically Marvel's take on The Leftovers. I know it'd be naive to expect too much of this, but I would very much like just a bit of it.

At least from the shot of Hawkeye it looks like they'll be showing some of the fallout on Earth. I'm not sure how Leftovers like it would be though. The dusting was a bit more obviously an attack than the *poof* disappear act.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It would definitely miss that "We have no idea what happened" thing - though most of the world wouldn't really know what happened. It's more about the sheer powerlessness and not knowing how to go on, trying to find a way of making sense of things and trying to come to terms with it. I don't want an hour of mopeyness, but neither do I want them all to be back in superhero mode within five minutes.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It would definitely miss that "We have no idea what happened" thing - though most of the world wouldn't really know what happened. It's more about the sheer powerlessness and not knowing how to go on, trying to find a way of making sense of things and trying to come to terms with it. I don't want an hour of mopeyness, but neither do I want them all to be back in superhero mode within five minutes.

The film's over three hours long. I'm absolutely certain they'll take the time to do this - they're not jumping straight into WELP, THAT SUCKED FOR THE DUST PEOPLE, LET'S GO PUNCH THINGS NOW.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm a little worried about how they're going to resolve things in Endgame, mostly because I have stupidly high expectations for it after Infinity War, but I'm not worried that they're going to gloss over the aftermath to get to the punching.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The movies are about the emotional journeys of the superheroes and the people they know. I'm sure they'll deal with the state of the world but it'll mostly be about how the heroes are affected by it.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    The movies are about the emotional journeys of the superheroes and the people they know. I'm sure they'll deal with the state of the world but it'll mostly be about how the heroes are affected by it.

The look of the world says a lot IMO. Stuff like phone posts covered in fliers for lost people and support groups.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

The look of the world says a lot IMO. Stuff like phone posts covered in fliers for lost people and support groups.

Yeah, I think they'll do it this way. I'm guessing it'll be like they way they showed the bombing at the start of Civil War or the citizens of Sokovia. The lives of civilians have meaning and worth and are worth sacrificing for and are the reasons the heroes suit up and often the catalyst for their emotional journeys and the plot, but they won't be the focus. It'll be background, and the catastrophic loss will be personalised by, say, Hawkeye losing his family and Cap losing Bucky etc.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

So a thought that occurred to me after seeing the Fury stinger at the end of Infinity War. The Snap happens and half the people in the world just disappear, what do you do next?

Bad thought: You run down the list of people you know who had kids and try and figure out where they might have been and try and find those kids whose parents just disappeared.

Horrible thought:
    With the snap leaving nothing behind...you will never know if a kid was dusted or if you just missed them and left them abandoned, alone and helpless in a shattered world.

I don't really expect Marvel to touch on that, because it is some heavy shit.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Oh for sure, dusting half the world's population is going to result in more than half the world's being dead after incidental casualties are sorted out. Stuff like planes whose pilots got dusted, EMTs and surgeons getting dusted mid life saving, children whose parents got dusted and couldn't be found. Your inevitable giant spike of suicides from people who just lost their loved ones &c.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Christ, guys.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

So a thought that occurred to me after seeing the Fury stinger at the end of Infinity War. The Snap happens and half the people in the world just disappear, what do you do next?

Bad thought: You run down the list of people you know who had kids and try and figure out where they might have been and try and find those kids whose parents just disappeared.

Horrible thought:
    With the snap leaving nothing behind...you will never know if a kid was dusted or if you just missed them and left them abandoned, alone and helpless in a shattered world.

I don't really expect Marvel to touch on that, because it is some heavy shit.

I would enjoy a miniseries in this setting but it is entirely too dark to tackle in the MCU. People in assisted living situations would be dead too. Bajillions of pets.

I wonder what percentage of dead you'd end up with after the snap. You're going to have so many transportation and other accidents occurring but does that end up being a rounding error?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hopefully Thanos planned for that

IW happened in like real-time too. The little time from when Thanos’s minions’ spaceship arrived over NYC to the snappening would have left about 97% of the world’s population completely oblivious about what was happening.

In NYC, the news is “green Hulk-shaped meteor crashes on Bleecker Street” and “Another godsdamned spaceship and Tony Stark blowing stuff up” which is maybe not that irregular for them.

Nobody has any clue what happened in Wakanda

This also explains why this particular instance called for the Carol Pager- Fury as the premier spy ALWAYS knew his foes and had a plan. With the snappening, he’s caught off guard, has no context and sees people just disappearing all over. Some poo might have squeezed out right before his ass turned to ash.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    were these things better connected, Punisher Season 2 would've been set in the post-Snap world. That season didn't have much going on, but it could've been a vehicle to show that apocalyptic setting, and having half as many people would have justified all the weird lil' happenstance moments. A big ol' gun battle in the streets feels a lot less weird if there's barely anyone on those streets.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hopefully Thanos planned for that

IW happened in like real-time too. The little time from when Thanos’s minions’ spaceship arrived over NYC to the snappening would have left about 97% of the world’s population completely oblivious about what was happening.

In NYC, the news is “green Hulk-shaped meteor crashes on Bleecker Street” and “Another godsdamned spaceship and Tony Stark blowing stuff up” which is maybe not that irregular for them.

Nobody has any clue what happened in Wakanda

This also explains why this particular instance called for the Carol Pager- Fury as the premier spy ALWAYS knew his foes and had a plan. With the snappening, he’s caught off guard, has no context and sees people just disappearing all over. Some poo might have squeezed out right before his ass turned to ash.

So I imagine there's just a small turd on a pile of ash? I mean clearly we see anything inside or on you when you go goes with but if you were actually defecating when the Snap occurs you'd be leaving something behind.

That's a lot of unflushed toilets.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I sincerely hope he pushed the button during Age of Ultron, followed by a cancellation when it all worked out. First Avengers, fine - it was his trial run for his new team, and the big threat of the nuke happened too quick and came from his own people, so no reason to push it there. But AoU was, right from the start, a big ol' end of the fucking world situation that they needed help with.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    were these things better connected, Punisher Season 2 would've been set in the post-Snap world. That season didn't have much going on, but it could've been a vehicle to show that apocalyptic setting, and having half as many people would have justified all the weird lil' happenstance moments. A big ol' gun battle in the streets feels a lot less weird if there's barely anyone on those streets.

Ooooooooo, this would have been so cool.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of hoping for a post-Thanos Avengers scene at the very end. Some villain shows up in NY, comes face to face with Captain Marvel and whoever else ends up on the post-Endgame Avengers team, "Avengers Assemble!", fade to black. Kind of like the end of Incredibles.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Captain Marvel stringer
    They hinted at Widow and Cap watching the fallout there. So I think we'll get some

This discussion has been closed.