As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I think anyone from TW gets a free pass on being political, all things considered.

Also 46 is canonically Lisa Simpson.

TW? Edit: Hah, I guess that is "our" web suffix after all.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, for a game that's as much a mimetic legend at this point as an actual game, we haven't given it it's due:

https://youtu.be/yG1HahKYZzc

That's right, Metal Wolf Chaos, the Dark Souls of high-speed twitchy mecha combat games that were exclusive to the original Xbox, is getting its re-release next week. US price seems to be $25 digitally.

I’m looking forward to this. I passed up a couple of copies at the Y4000 mark because I thought that was just too much to pay for an Xbox game.

That was a few years ago.

Huh, I wonder how much...

*bumbles over to eBay*

...Whoa. Like, keanu_whoa.jpg.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Two questions. The xbox I'm buying comes with a 1 month sub to xbox live. Do I get the games with gold? If so using it close to the cutoff date can net extra games?

Also, is the gold gamepass conversion thing atoll going ? If so, when does it end? I can't take advantage of it until September due to money.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Two questions. The xbox I'm buying comes with a 1 month sub to xbox live. Do I get the games with gold? If so using it close to the cutoff date can net extra games?

Also, is the gold gamepass conversion thing atoll going ? If so, when does it end? I can't take advantage of it until September due to money.

Xbone games with gold leave your account when your sub expires, but 360 stay I believe. There’s two of each per month so you’d get the same amount with one month regardless.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Xbone games with gold leave your account when your sub expires, but 360 stay I believe. There’s two of each per month so you’d get the same amount with one month regardless.

Do games go away or just become unplayable until you re-up?

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Whether you get Games with Gold depends on if the one month sub is considered a trial sub or not. If it is, then you won't get all the Games with Gold (you may get access to the Xbox One games, but not the Xbox 360 games). Otherwise you're probably good.

You won't get extra games for using it near a cutoff date, it'll just affect which games you get. For example, if you started the sub today, you could claim access to the current games (Inside, Big Crown: Showdown, and Meet the Robinsons), as well as getting the August games when they become available. If you started the sub next week, you wouldn't get access to the July games, but would get access to the first two of September's games when they become available. And remember, you can only play the Xbox One games from Games with Gold when you have an active subscription.

Microsoft has not released a firm date on when they'll end the Gamepass and Xbox Gold to Gamepass Ultimate conversion. I'm honestly surprised that it's lasted this long, but it was highlighted in an official Xbox blog post on July 17th, so it's possible that it'll get extended for a bit longer. There's no guarantees though.

Edit:
    LostNinja wrote: »

Do games go away or just become unplayable until you re-up?
    The latter. When you resub, you regain access to all the Games with Gold that you've previously claimed.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    So, for a game that's as much a mimetic legend at this point as an actual game, we haven't given it it's due:

https://youtu.be/yG1HahKYZzc

That's right, Metal Wolf Chaos, the Dark Souls of high-speed twitchy mecha combat games that were exclusive to the original Xbox, is getting its re-release next week. US price seems to be $25 digitally, though I'd argue FromSoftware missed an opportunity to due a limited physical production run for Xbox with the original hyper-serious artwork.

n9c6dsn3yqff.jpg

IT'S TIME TO PARTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I think anyone from TW gets a free pass on being political, all things considered.

Sorry, I play FFXIV on the unofficial Oceanic server and you see a lot of references to people by SG, MY, TW, etc. apparently it snuck into my vocabulary when I wasn’t looking.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I picked up a second-hand DVR the other day (finally, civilised telly watching), and was wondering how I was going to have it hooked up. My TV only has two HDMI ports, and they are taken up with my Xbox and PS4.
    Xbonks and PSFro, to use the colloquial terms, of course. :razz:

How to square this circle without buying splitters and so on?

It was like a lightbulb over the head moment when I remembered the Xbox has its HDMI-in port. AFAIK I can't use OneGuide to control this particular DVR, but that's no bother. And it plays just fine through the Xbox.

And it means I don't need to switch over the optical cable (for my soundbar) from the Xbox to the DVR and back again all the time.

Thank you, MS. Your somewhat ill-judged ideas on how to position the Xbox One at launch have actually proven properly useful for me!

Not to detract from the super-important conversation about nicknames and why some are good and some are apparently bad and there should be legal recourse against their use, but I'd wanted to expand on this--the HDMI input is an awesome feature, and I'm really going to miss it if/when it's dropped from the next model. I was so happy that they kept it on the XB1S revision (and then subsequently on XB1X).

Not everyone uses it. That doesn't matter. A small percentage of PS4 owners probably know that they can swap out the internet hard drive, much less actually do it. It's still a great feature I'd like to see on Xbox One.

But mostly the HDMI input is awesome because of its capture potential (which I'm pretty sure hasn't been pruned, at least). If I want to capture a screenshot, or even a few seconds of video, of my RetroPi or my hacked SNES classic, it's the perfect option to do it (on top of meaning I don't have to give up one of my four HDMI ports, one less than my last television grumble).

Ironically, when the consoles launched back in 2013, Rooster Teeth's Achievement Hunter (and a few other Let's Play groups) ran into issues trying to capture PS4 video out (I believe this was addressed via a HDCP compliance patch Sony put out sometime in the following months?)...so their options were to either point cameras at their TVs, or run their PS4 consoles through Xbox Ones to capture Let's Play footage, which is kind of a fun irony.

I'm going to miss that feature.

I'd say there's a 1% chance Scarlett has an HDMI input. When they cancelled the USB DVR in 2016, pretty much the entire HDMI team left the Xbox division or left the company. It was given to the Xbox Video Microsoft Movies & TV app folks to maintain, but basically none of the original architects of it are still there.

• Options

Sorry, I play FFXIV on the unofficial Oceanic server and you see a lot of references to people by SG, MY, TW, etc. apparently it snuck into my vocabulary when I wasn’t looking.

I've got quite a few people trying to recruit me into that. I'm glad none of them every succeed.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I picked up a second-hand DVR the other day (finally, civilised telly watching), and was wondering how I was going to have it hooked up. My TV only has two HDMI ports, and they are taken up with my Xbox and PS4.

It was like a lightbulb over the head moment when I remembered the Xbox has its HDMI-in port. AFAIK I can't use OneGuide to control this particular DVR, but that's no bother. And it plays just fine through the Xbox.

And it means I don't need to switch over the optical cable (for my soundbar) from the Xbox to the DVR and back again all the time.

Thank you, MS. Your somewhat ill-judged ideas on how to position the Xbox One at launch have actually proven properly useful for me!

Not to detract from the super-important conversation about nicknames and why some are good and some are apparently bad and there should be legal recourse against their use, but I'd wanted to expand on this--the HDMI input is an awesome feature, and I'm really going to miss it if/when it's dropped from the next model. I was so happy that they kept it on the XB1S revision (and then subsequently on XB1X).

Not everyone uses it. That doesn't matter. A small percentage of PS4 owners probably know that they can swap out the internet hard drive, much less actually do it. It's still a great feature I'd like to see on Xbox One.

But mostly the HDMI input is awesome because of its capture potential (which I'm pretty sure hasn't been pruned, at least). If I want to capture a screenshot, or even a few seconds of video, of my RetroPi or my hacked SNES classic, it's the perfect option to do it (on top of meaning I don't have to give up one of my four HDMI ports, one less than my last television grumble).

Ironically, when the consoles launched back in 2013, Rooster Teeth's Achievement Hunter (and a few other Let's Play groups) ran into issues trying to capture PS4 video out (I believe this was addressed via a HDCP compliance patch Sony put out sometime in the following months?)...so their options were to either point cameras at their TVs, or run their PS4 consoles through Xbox Ones to capture Let's Play footage, which is kind of a fun irony.

I'd say there's a 1% chance Scarlett has an HDMI input. When they cancelled the USB DVR in 2016, pretty much the entire HDMI team left the Xbox division or left the company. It was given to the Xbox Video Microsoft Movies & TV app folks to maintain, but basically none of the original architects of it are still there.

Well, shit.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Well, shit.

Yeah, this was already a known thing. I would argue that this is not a case of "lack of technical know-how"--not sure if that was Opty's argument either--but practical design. Basically:

1) The next Xbox console is almost certainly going to be a system-on-a-chip setup, like we are familiar with, a single main board. This is a good arrangement: we know it can result in the needed horsepower, it substantially reduces hardware costs compared to other options, it can help with reliability concerns, and it means for a smaller overall unit.

2) Even a 1080p HDMI-input option represents a substantial commitment of real estate on the main board (less so for the IO). A more capable option would increase that commitment, plus additional on the graphics processor (not in actual use, but in the design).

3) It's not a widely used feature and, unlike something like backwards compatibility (which is probably more commonly used), it has an immediate and obvious physical cost.

When I say "if/when", that's because I don't know with any absolute certainty, because no one does. The IO/internal layout hasn't been shared yet (well, aside from unclear video capture). But my lamentations come from confidence that it will be dropped.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    Is it actually Souls-esque, or is it just the same developer?

It's by the same dev, but it plays like a wacky Armored Core, one of the major series they used to make before Souls blew up

Bring back Armored Core >:(

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Well, shit.

Yeah, this was already a known thing. I would argue that this is not a case of "lack of technical know-how"--not sure if that was Opty's argument either--but practical design. Basically:

1) The next Xbox console is almost certainly going to be a system-on-a-chip setup, like we are familiar with, a single main board. This is a good arrangement: we know it can result in the needed horsepower, it substantially reduces hardware costs compared to other options, it can help with reliability concerns, and it means for a smaller overall unit.

2) Even a 1080p HDMI-input option represents a substantial commitment of real estate on the main board (less so for the IO). A more capable option would increase that commitment, plus additional on the graphics processor (not in actual use, but in the design).

3) It's not a widely used feature and, unlike something like backwards compatibility (which is probably more commonly used), it has an immediate and obvious physical cost.

When I say "if/when", that's because I don't know with any absolute certainty, because no one does. The IO/internal layout hasn't been shared yet (well, aside from unclear video capture). But my lamentations come from confidence that it will be dropped.

My argument is "There's no one in the Xbox org who would push for this to be in the next Xbox because all of the people who pushed for it in the first place are gone." You do bring up another point though that does involve some technical-know-how: if they put it in Scarlett would people expect it to handle 4k, HDR, and/or CEC? I personally expect Scarlett to support CEC at the level the other consoles do (e.g turn the tv on to the input it's on when you turn on the console) so if they did have HDMI input what would be expected there?

• Options
    edited August 2019

Well, shit.

My argument is "There's no one in the Xbox org who would push for this to be in the next Xbox because all of the people who pushed for it in the first place are gone." You do bring up another point though that does involve some technical-know-how: if they put it in Scarlett would people expect it to handle 4k, HDR, and/or CEC? I personally expect Scarlett to support CEC at the level the other consoles do (e.g turn the tv on to the input it's on when you turn on the console) so if they did have HDMI input what would be expected there?

That's probably true too. Not a lack of expertise, but really because it's difficult to justify (and the minor side benefit of silencing the small clique of annoying assholes on the internet that complain about having too many features as a bad thing). Microsoft's Surface division is capable of handling +2K (in fact, probably +4K) video inputs, assuming the Xbox division even needed to rely on them in the first place, which they might not, but again, what's the point?

But I hadn't thought about CEC. Of course, I'd like to see the next Xbox console support CEC...though I strongly suspect that, for the sake of continuity, the next console/consoles will feature an integrated IR blaster, just like every Xbox One (except the launch model, because the Kinect unit was the IR blaster) does, and Microsoft may use that as a reasonable excuse not to, since they aren't reliant on it for the vast majority of functions (TV power and volume controls).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm having trouble getting Gears 4 into my account from GWG. I already have it installed on my Xbox via Game Pass, on an external drive. The "Get" option is not showing up; just "Play" (with the additional "You can play this game for now or buy it to own"). I tried unplugging the external drive, but all it then offers is the "Install" button.

So I decided to try going via PC. Xbox.com also doesn't have a "Get" button, just an "Install/Play" one, and clicking that kicked me to the MS Store app, where there is - further down the page - a "Get" button. But that doesn't seem to add it to my account either, it just initialises the download (I assume because of Game Pass Ultimate).

It just will not go into my account - and doesn't show up under Gold in My Games & Apps either.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'd rather not have to delete it and reinstall it because it's so massive (over 117GB on Xbox), but I'm doubtful that would even work since the problem persisted when I disconnected the external drive.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    So, for anyone looking to purchase these games, Amazon currently has them for $10 off the normal price and it looks to be just the normal price since it isn't showing up like it would during a discount. From what I'm seeing, currently they have this price on Cyberpunk 2077, Gears 5, Doom Eternal, Marvel's Avengers, Madden 20, and Jedi: Fallen Order. Borderlands 3 and the Outer Worlds are normal price. For the games that have a PS4 version, it is also the same price, but Switch and PC are still $59.99. Found the info here when searching for the physical version of Cyberpunk 2077: Amazon link

Not sure if it's a promotion or how long it will go on, but since the digital versions of all these preorders are still the same price, it doesn't look like a price drop.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble getting Gears 4 into my account from GWG. I already have it installed on my Xbox via Game Pass, on an external drive. The "Get" option is not showing up; just "Play" (with the additional "You can play this game for now or buy it to own"). I tried unplugging the external drive, but all it then offers is the "Install" button.

So I decided to try going via PC. Xbox.com also doesn't have a "Get" button, just an "Install/Play" one, and clicking that kicked me to the MS Store app, where there is - further down the page - a "Get" button. But that doesn't seem to add it to my account either, it just initialises the download (I assume because of Game Pass Ultimate).

It just will not go into my account - and doesn't show up under Gold in My Games & Apps either.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'd rather not have to delete it and reinstall it because it's so massive (over 117GB on Xbox), but I'm doubtful that would even work since the problem persisted when I disconnected the external drive.

no issue here. have the 'Play' button at the top and under that 'Get' plus the 'Buy to own', wishlist, cart and misc options. honestly, i thought i already owned it so thanks for making me double check. hitting 'Get' made that option disappear so maybe you already own it? didn't pick it up in a sale and forget about it did you?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Wraith260 wrote: »

no issue here. have the 'Play' button at the top and under that 'Get' plus the 'Buy to own', wishlist, cart and misc options. honestly, i thought i already owned it so thanks for making me double check. hitting 'Get' made that option disappear so maybe you already own it? didn't pick it up in a sale and forget about it did you?

Nope. I think I originally installed it on a free weekend, and left it installed in case I decided to pick it up or it made its way to GWG to save having that mahoosive download again. (Then Game Pass happened.) And if I had bought it, it would tell me I owned it.

Maybe the store just needs to refresh, I'll try again later.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    In case you are wondering why Metal Wolf Chaos, the most patriotic game of all time, is being re-released. It might be because of some good Canadian boys creating enough noise that the East took notice and Digital Devolver stepped forward and said lets make this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7WPn4pWEI

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I've got quite a few people trying to recruit me into that. I'm glad none of them every succeed.

It’s an MMO with like 90% of the MMO bull cut out, but it will still consume every waking moment if you let it. I really want an Xbone version but apparently Microsoft is being dicks about it - they asked for exclusive servers rather than playing on the same servers as PC/Mac/PS4. Or something like that. It’s all corporate drama.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

It’s an MMO with like 90% of the MMO bull cut out, but it will still consume every waking moment if you let it. I really want an Xbone version but apparently Microsoft is being dicks about it - they asked for exclusive servers rather than playing on the same servers as PC/Mac/PS4. Or something like that. It’s all corporate drama.

I would love FFXIV to come to Xbox. I’ve played a little on PS4 and PC but gave it up as I rarely play games on anything but my Xbox.

Great fun, and gorgeous to look at. Cuteness overload.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    In case you are wondering why Metal Wolf Chaos, the most patriotic game of all time, is being re-released. It might be because of some good Canadian boys creating enough noise that the East took notice and Digital Devolver stepped forward and said lets make this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7WPn4pWEI

My favourite part about this was the time the Very Japanese social media account for FromSoft was being really confused about why their obscure throwaway Xbox game from a bazillion years ago was suddenly getting a whole bunch of mentions in their feed

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It's official. That sweet, sweet purple xbox will be here monday. I've been xboxless for 4 or 5 months now so I'm really excited. Now to decide if I sell the fortnite stuff or save it for a Christmas present for my nephew.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I meant to add--I ran into this issue yesterday afternoon when I returned from work (around 5:30 US EST), but by the evening, the "Get" button had appeared. So, just another slow Games with Gold roll-out by the looks of it.

I've yet to get a really clear reason for this--this could be a case of difficult of translation, but so far the argument seems to be framed that "Microsoft isn't comfortable with cross-play in the MMO, which is a prerequisite."

Which by itself sounds like bullshit. The console platform with literally the widest support for cross-platform play--that literally owns Minecraft, easily the most popular cross-platform multiplayer game--"isn't comfortable."? Why isn't Microsoft comfortable with it? It sort of sounds like they insist their online interface--friends list, chat support, party support--be allowed priority over those corresponding systems in FFXIV itself. Which would be an issue. Xbox One already has an MMORPG--Black Desert--and another one coming to it, PSO, which are somehow able to overcome these issues. But that's not the case with FFXIV.

It's difficult to weigh on this as an outsider. Square-Enix absolutely has a reasonable right to dictate how it wants online communications and organization to work in their game. Certain mechanisms--partying, group matchmmaking, assymetrical communication--might be core to the game. On the other hand, Xbox also has a completely reasonable right to dictate a bare minimum standard for every online title on their console--and given the shit state FFXIV launched in originally, before the complete relaunch, they could be forgiven for having skepticism about Square-Enix's competency in those areas that wouldn't be shared in PSN, which has been playing catchup in this are for a while. Does FFXIV not meet these minimum standards? Why don't they, in Microsoft's opinion? The game not coming to Switch (yet?) could just be chalked up to the lack of an adequate hardware solution at the moment, but for all I know, Nintendo will have similar concerns given their generally conservative position towards online multiplayer.

I also heard Square-Enix didn't like Microsoft's cost structure regarding patches and updates. That could be it it. It would be a shame if that were the cause, and I'd hope Microsoft would oblige them if it's just money (though maybe that's not reasonable?). I'm doing my damndest to keep an appropriate level of cynicism towards the issue, though it kind of feels like we're allowed to be very scornful towards S-E in general except when it comes to FFXIV.

That being said, actually watching people play extensively on PC...I wasn't really impressed. The same way I'm not really impressed by people who clearly love World of Warcraft and, The Old Republic. These games are still enormous endeavors and masterpieces in their own right, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not really in the time of my life where I want to play an MMORPG anymore. World of Warcraft cut out 90% of the "MMO bullshit" with sequential patches, at least by time, but it's more the fundamental commitment of what remains that doesn't attract me. But that could just be my fault, for not knowing anyone who plays the game casually (as oppose to committing multiple hours to it each night).

Some people don't like racing games. I don't like MMOs, apparently. I couldn't even stick with Diablo III after reaching the early end-game of that, much less an actual MMORPG.
    It's official. That sweet, sweet purple xbox will be here monday. I've been xboxless for 4 or 5 months now so I'm really excited. Now to decide if I sell the fortnite stuff or save it for a Christmas present for my nephew.

Congratulations! I might as well share that I bought a Playstation 4 of my own finally, after almost a year of borrowing one and not much more than a year before the presumed release of the Playstation 5. I grabbed one of those "metallic black" so-called "Days of Play Bundle" since they were available from Walmart after formally being discontinued. Even if by Tuesday, I somehow regret my decision, I might be able to sell it for a small profit. Otherwise, I'll have my Super Robot Wars V machine.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Also! NSF non-UHD and non-HDR screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-40AopHdc

The future is here, and it's very shiny.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So playing gears of war 4 and kinda super glad I didn’t pay for this . Maybe it gets better?

Edit - just makes me want a remastered trilogy .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So playing gears of war 4 and kinda super glad I didn’t pay for this . Maybe it gets better?

What don't you like about it? It'd help if you were more substantive with your disdain. At least then people can actually engage with your opinion.

I mean, I didn't like Nier: Automata because the gameplay didn't carry the garbage that was its story... I said as much then... but thing is bad is kind of... meh?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

So you liked Gears of War Ultimate Edition? Which, admitted, is a freakin' gorgeous game built upon mechanics so solid that they basically changed every third-person shooter going forward, from Uncharted to Mass Effect.

For GOW4...I suppose it very much has a slow, quiet start, especially by GOW standards. You're given effectively an entirely new cast that treat the old crew with some disdain until you find you-know-who, and even then, it takes a little bit for the gigantic set-pieces to kick in. But the tone of the game as a whole is pretty different than the rest of the trilogy.

On the other hand, video games are video games, and no amount of critical acclaim or commercial success can change your feelings. The first person I know, personally, who bought a Switch picked up Breath of the Wild as the launch title and was really, really disappointed in his purchase. I don't know if he finished it. Either you like a game, or you don't, in the end of the day.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The big news of the day is that Ninja (you know, the streaming guy) is apparently switching from Twitch to Mixer. Hell, even the New York Times covered it.

Of course the big question is exactly how many dump trucks full of money did Microsoft pull into his driveway.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Probably a lot? More than Sony poured into SNK's offices in Osaka to get them to ignore arcade players for the first time in their history.

On the other hand, I heard Ninja's popularity had peaked some time ago. But I barely know who the guy was even before that. Who knows if it's worth it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The big news of the day is that Ninja (you know, the streaming guy) is apparently switching from Twitch to Mixer. Hell, even the New York Times covered it.

Of course the big question is exactly how many dump trucks full of money did Microsoft pull into his driveway.

I read somewhere he played Halo formerly, so I imagine money plus he's probably going to be one of their prime advertising avenues for the next Halo.

It's a great deal for Ninja, he most assuredly got guaranteed microsoft money and obviously something else to sweeten the pot, and he gets to leave twitch which has been stagnate for streamers at all levels.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I read somewhere he played Halo formerly, so I imagine money plus he's probably going to be one of their prime advertising avenues for the next Halo.

It's a great deal for Ninja, he most assuredly got guaranteed microsoft money and obviously something else to sweeten the pot, and he gets to leave twitch which has been stagnate for streamers at all levels.

We'll soon see just how great a deal it is for Mixer/Microsoft. But hey, it made waves.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't know what it's going to do for Mixer's popularity, but no doubt he made out like a criminal mastermind in the deal.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I meant to add--I ran into this issue yesterday afternoon when I returned from work (around 5:30 US EST), but by the evening, the "Get" button had appeared. So, just another slow Games with Gold roll-out by the looks of it.

Still not sorting itself out here! Kinda nuts.

Congratulations! I might as well share that I bought a Playstation 4 of my own finally, after almost a year of borrowing one and not much more than a year before the presumed release of the Playstation 5. I grabbed one of those "metallic black" so-called "Days of Play Bundle" since they were available from Walmart after formally being discontinued. Even if by Tuesday, I somehow regret my decision, I might be able to sell it for a small profit. Otherwise, I'll have my Super Robot Wars V machine.

'Grats on the new machine! (And to you for the Xbox, @RickRude!) I've had my PS4 for over a year now and only have five games for it (and four of those were picked up used and cheap), but they're enough for it to earn its place next to my Xbox.

Jazz on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Literally yesterday's news...

3vi28z57afnx.png

His stream with Drake, appearance on Ellen, and other stuff kind of pushed him beyond enthusiast sphere, so being in the times isn't that special at this point. He's already been featured in other places.

I imagine Microsoft offered him enough of a stable base income to not have to live and breathe streaming all the time.

edit: kinda snarky because the whole implied "sellout" angle got boring yesterday.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Still not sorting itself out here! Kinda nuts.

'Grats on the new machine! I've had my PS4 for over a year now and only have five games for it (and four of those were picked up used and cheap), but they're enough for it to earn its place next to my Xbox.

Ha, thanks. Yeah, it's going in a slot taken up by my very-clearly-dying (at least the fan is) BC Playstation 3 because, well, both Ninja Gaiden games coming to Xbox One basically takes away any reason to play the Sigma re-releases unless I really, really want to play as Ayane, Momiji or Rachel (and DOA5 isn't good enough?), and the thing probably shouldn't be in a semi-enclosed space, unfortunately. I'm pretty confident it'll look good enough on my Samsung QLED at least.

As for GwG...cripes, well, I guess the roll-out might be slow by regions or even just across the user base. And you've tried the website again, right? That's always my fallback if something wrong goes wrong with Games with God, though admittedly, since I'm one of those people who forgets about it unless reminded, but the time I check it almost always is ready and waiting.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

So you liked Gears of War Ultimate Edition? Which, admitted, is a freakin' gorgeous game built upon mechanics so solid that they basically changed every third-person shooter going forward, from Uncharted to Mass Effect.

For GOW4...I suppose it very much has a slow, quiet start, especially by GOW standards. You're given effectively an entirely new cast that treat the old crew with some disdain until you find you-know-who, and even then, it takes a little bit for the gigantic set-pieces to kick in. But the tone of the game as a whole is pretty different than the rest of the trilogy.

On the other hand, video games are video games, and no amount of critical acclaim or commercial success can change your feelings. The first person I know, personally, who bought a Switch picked up Breath of the Wild as the launch title and was really, really disappointed in his purchase. I don't know if he finished it. Either you like a game, or you don't, in the end of the day.

It’s ... a cascade of little things ? Gnasher feels like it had its mid range gutted , every enemy so far explodes when you kill them so I’m getting insane difficulty lambent wretches flashbacks , the weapons in the first two chapters weren’t really al that fun . Also story retcons or changes ex I was under the impression Anya was sterile which is why she was allowed to be in the military, did they change that for the purpose of having a protagonist related to Marcus . But to be honest I just want a prettier version of gears 3 so feel free to ignore me.

This discussion has been closed.