As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Yeah gears 4 felt much easier then the originals as the ai will constantly revive you.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUhfh_0j-Y

how did they make it even worse/better, incredible

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I’m pretty sure you can change it per chapter, like from the beginning menu before you launch a mission, and the first chapter is pretty small, so you could try that on normal, then if it was a slog change it in the launch menu before you start the next chapter. I’m not 100% on whether you can change it mid mission, sorry this is from memory

Prohass on
  • Options
    Yeah gears 4 felt much easier then the originals as the ai will constantly revive you.

It also just has fairer fights and better checkpoints, last gen games had some of the worst checkpoints

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thanks all for the info on gears 4.
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure you can change it per chapter, like from the beginning menu before you launch a mission, and the first chapter is pretty small, so you could try that on normal, then if it was a slog change it in the launch menu before you start the next chapter. I’m not 100% on whether you can change it mid mission, sorry this is from memory

If anybody knows for sure whether this is tight or wrong please chime in. I'm going to take this as accurate until I play and find out differently :)

• Options
    edited August 2019
    At worst you’ll have to do the first level again, which is quite short and honestly neat. I think the way it works is you can only change the difficulty of a level you’ve already completed. Once it’s done, you can “start” a campaign at that level on a lower difficulty before launching

So try normal for the first level, but if you were having difficulty bump it down to casual and try again. Basically you won’t have to do the whole campaign again if you get like stuck half way like at mission 5 or whatever, but you might have to restart a level, which is a pain

It’s frustrating that more games don’t allow mid level difficulty changes

Prohass on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tips about Ultimate Gamepass. I bought a 12 month card then upgraded so am set through May 2021.

• Options
    Was playing streets of rage 2 with my gf as many things didn't download and puzzle fighter required an xbox account log in.

We need to start a youtbue channel. Shit was hillarious. She is beating me up, getting crushed by enemies, and suplexing me every few seconds. I was laughing my ass off the whole time as was she.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Like all games in the series (well, maybe not Judgment?) difficulty is on a per-chapter basis, with achievements tied to clearing all the chapters on the highest difficulty you can manage. Per profile, it just saves whatever your highest difficulty was...maybe your time? Record keeping is not as zealous as in Halo.
    RickRude wrote: »
    Was playing streets of rage 2 with my gf as many things didn't download and puzzle fighter required an xbox account log in.

We need to start a youtbue channel. Shit was hillarious. She is beating me up, getting crushed by enemies, and suplexing me every few seconds. I was laughing my ass off the whole time as was she.

I am still so fuckin' stoked for Streets of Rage 4. Even with months having past since the last time we heard anything about it, and it not having been announced on any consoles yet (really hard to imagine it won't come to PS4 and XB1, this being Sega).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw42STDQKbA

I'm still unreasonably excited for it. It's my Final Fantasy VII Remake.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »

Like all games in the series (well, maybe not Judgment?) difficulty is on a per-chapter basis, with achievements tied to clearing all the chapters on the highest difficulty you can manage. Per profile, it just saves whatever your highest difficulty was...maybe your time? Record keeping is not as zealous as in Halo.

I am still so fuckin' stoked for Streets of Rage 4. Even with months having past since the last time we heard anything about it, and it not having been announced on any consoles yet (really hard to imagine it won't come to PS4 and XB1, this being Sega).

A Streets of Rage game without:

Adam, Skate, Max, Dr. zan, or Roo

Just doesn't seem right. there's two silhouettes for the other characters, but yeah. IDK.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

A Streets of Rage game without:

Adam, Skate, Max, Dr. zan, or Roo

Just doesn't seem right. there's two silhouettes for the other characters, but yeah. IDK.

I feel your pain. Well, maybe not all of it. Mostly because the franchise started out with a much smaller cast--I'd love to see Skate and Adam, and don't give a crap about the Kangeroo, but it's a case of "gift horse in the mouth."

Considering the new graphical approach, I do think it's a better use to do a really excellent job with fewer (or even only two) title characters than a lesser job with a wider cast, but that's just my view of it. I'm still waiting to make sure this is, in fact, coming out a tsome point.

• Options
    Streets of Rage has always had at least 3 playable characters though.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Are there any big games coming to game pass soon? Have a 1 month trial not sure if I should save it or use it

Blair Witch at the end of this month, the 30th i think. Gears 5 releases on the 10th of September, but Game Pass get the same 3 day early access at the Ultimate edition. and The Outer Worlds is due to release on October 25th. those are the big ones i think.

• Options
    Streets of Rage has always had at least 3 playable characters though.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise--there were just fewer characters starting out compared to in the third game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    Not really a fan of the controller so much, but that's a pretty sweet console.

• Options
    I was gonna say, the design of the xbox is great and even the colors on the controller are good, but the weird metal plating look does nothing for me

• Options
    Yeah, I've never liked the whole fake riveting or weld-lines look on merchandise (which is understandably part of the franchise aesthetic...which I also kind of don't like?). It especially looks unattractive on the generation 2 controllers that are molded out of one big piece of plastic anyway.

The console is very clearly trying to be an ice block (even if it kind of looks like a cracked cement block), which is different. Is there actually a sort of depth affect with the Gears of War logo underneath? That's really cool if so.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It looks like marble to me, and not ice.

• Options
    It looks a lot more like marble, but the video seemed to say partially transparent ice.

• Options
    Really wish that translucent white xbox controller had a variant with no opacity gradient.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Why do they say redownload it. It's not going away away right ? I'll still be able to download it.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's pretty hard to die outside fights where a boss or environment hazard can outright kill you.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Why do they say redownload it. It's not going away away right ? I'll still be able to download it.

from the link,
    if you’ve already bought the game digitally, you’ll still be able to re-download it even after it’s removed, too

so yeah, you'll still have access to ti after it's removed from stores. they're probably just using this as a prod to get more people to download it. maybe downloads can be used to help renegotiate rights to get it back on stores?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Fuckin Disney, man

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fuckin Disney, man

Sorry, but there is profit to be had.

• Options
    So there definitely was some kind of service outage last night, and like most, it was highly irregular: me and a friend played for about three hours, and it only seemed to effect Game Pass? I could start RE5, but he couldn't, and he was able to start Halo:MCC, but I had to rely on the disk. As usual, if you started a game offline, things worked, but obviously that wouldn't be conducive to either online multiplayer or Game Pass.

Seems to have cleared up since then. The glorious digital distribution future present, I guess.

• Options
    So there definitely was some kind of service outage last night, and like most, it was highly irregular: me and a friend played for about three hours, and it only seemed to effect Game Pass? I could start RE5, but he couldn't, and he was able to start Halo:MCC, but I had to rely on the disk. As usual, if you started a game offline, things worked, but obviously that wouldn't be conducive to either online multiplayer or Game Pass.

Seems to have cleared up since then. The glorious digital distribution future present, I guess.

This happened to me, but it wasn't just game pass but all my game share titles too. Couldn't log into anything I bought on my account, but home account games worked fine.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I wasn’t able to play Overwatch which I owned and do not game share.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The support message saying only the store and digital purchases were affected was wrong.

• Options

This happened to me, but it wasn't just game pass but all my game share titles too. Couldn't log into anything I bought on my account, but home account games worked fine.

It's strange, as noted above. I was able to play Game Pass games (some of them), and I don't have any sharing games so I didn't test that--hence why I thought it was limited to that.

I do strongly suspect going offline would've fixed the issues, provided you could load a game in the first place.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    At least Ducktales Remastered isn't going the way of Scott Pilgrim. That title is in such a state of legal limbo that it's only playable via emulation, IIRC.

• Options
    If you lucked out and have a 360 with it installed still, you can play it. But it's unavailable to redownload, yeah.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    If you lucked out and have a 360 with it installed still, you can play it. But it's unavailable to redownload, yeah.

That is so messed up.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    They went full PT on it? That sucks.

Always wanted to play that game, since it takes place in my hometown (I'd love a clear screenshot of the map for desktop wallpaper), but couldn't manage it at the time.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    They went full PT on it? That sucks.

Always wanted to play that game, since it takes place in my hometown (I'd love a clear screenshot of the map for desktop wallpaper), but couldn't manage it at the time.

...you live in Duckburg?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Platform holders should definitely put a rule in place along the lines of, "Hey, if you have a game on our platform, and someone pays money to play it, you can't revoke their access to it". I know it's not that simple, but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed.

• Options
    Platform holders should definitely put a rule in place along the lines of, "Hey, if you have a game on our platform, and someone pays money to play it, you can't revoke their access to it". I know it's not that simple, but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed.

I mean, I would like absolutely want this too, but it's be absurdly easy to twist that into "Anti-developer and anti-publisher (sometimes they're the same) position of the platform holder" in a few extreme cases.

Not that it wouldn't be worth it, but it's not hard to picture it scaring off not just large publishers but smaller self-publishing developers who want a greater degree of control over their work in very specific circumstances.

Still, if such a policy were implemented--think of what it would've meant for backwards compatibility (with Microsoft literally re-publishing hundreds games in a couple of years). We might not be gnashing our teeth at Tecmo Koei refusing to play ball with Dead or Alive 3 or 4, or plenty of other titles. Though when the Xbox was still being pitched to developers almost 20 years ago, I can pessimistically picture several passing on a risky prospect of a new console platform in the face of a "draconian" user-protection requirement.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I mean, I would like absolutely want this too, but it's be absurdly easy to twist that into "Anti-developer and anti-publisher (sometimes they're the same) position of the platform holder" in a few extreme cases.

Not that it wouldn't be worth it, but it's not hard to picture it scaring off not just large publishers but smaller self-publishing developers who want a greater degree of control over their work in very specific circumstances.

Still, if such a policy were implemented--think of what it would've meant for backwards compatibility (with Microsoft literally re-publishing hundreds games in a couple of years). We might not be gnashing our teeth at Tecmo Koei refusing to play ball with Dead or Alive 3 or 4, or plenty of other titles. Though when the Xbox was still being pitched to developers almost 20 years ago, I can pessimistically picture several passing on a risky prospect of a new console platform in the face of a "draconian" user-protection requirement.

Part of the reason the Scott Pilgrim got super-delisted has to do with the tangled licensing for it... Ubisoft (dev/pub), the guy who owns Scott Pilgrim, the comic's publisher, Universal Pictures (it was tied to the movie). Plus Amanaguchi did the music (though probably involves their label? IDK).

While the Scott Pilgrim vs the World the movie was a cult hit, it bombed hard in the box office. Why would Universal Pictures be interested in keeping the license going? Conversely, Disney's Bolt, another movie game, got delisted and then relisted... it also doubled its budget in the box office.

The Terms of Use for products also point out that access is revocable. It's not really to the benefit of either the platform or provider of content to grant irrevocable access to digital content.

tastydonuts on
This discussion has been closed.