As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Spokane is the closest major city for a surprisingly large section of the country. Compared to the surrounding environment it's a liberal utopia.

Source: Me growing up in North Idaho. I fled to Bellingham as soon as I had the money to do so out of high school.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bellingham's a cool place, honestly

I've got a lot of good friends who went to Western

Shorty on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I think it's annoying when people who run for local office don't bother to seek out endorsements. Either due to laziness or because they don't care.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Finally voted for this year

God what a stressful election

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    My partner and I just dropped off our ballots. +2 for the “Fuck Tim Eyman” array.

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    I got referred to email in my ballot this year, by King Elections, since I’m out of the state till after the election and I accidentally tore the top of the return envelope. Is...is this real? Is it THAT easy to vote here?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I got referred to email in my ballot this year, by King Elections, since I’m out of the state till after the election and I accidentally tore the top of the return envelope. Is...is this real? Is it THAT easy to vote here?

My ballot envelope sealed itself before I got around to voting and it ripped when I tried to open it very carefully, but I didn't return it yet

• Options
    Hey same deal! Apparently you can go to a voting center, or email front and back of the ballot along with the signature side to the board of elections. Call and make sure tomorrow but that’s what they told me. Which is BONKERS. I remember waiting 3 hours in 08 for my first election back in the South. Way to go Washington!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Every time I hear about voting methods from pretty much any state that's not on the West Coast I get really mad.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Every time I hear about voting methods from pretty much any state that's not on the West Coast I get really mad.

Yeah its weird to go from a state that actively encourages voting to one that does the opposite.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It surprised and shocked me back in 16 when I got my first voter’s pamphlet instead of having to specifically request a sample ballot to research what was on the ballot beforehand. Not having to memorize all the initiatives and what they really meant was mind blowing, and so was not having to write on my hand who to vote for in the nonpartisan elections. Since of course, you’re not allowed to bring a notebook into the booth with you.

My family are still amazed every time I bring up voting here. My mom straight didn’t believe the city gave me $100 to toss at local elections. Again, way to go Washington!

David Walgas on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah its weird to go from a state that actively encourages voting to one that does the opposite.

It's not bad where we are. My wife went to the local library and was done in maybe ten minutes. But even that seems onerous after filling out my ballot in our living room.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The West Coast is the reason why Republicans want to curtail voting nation wide; liberals control all levels of government, out here, including way more liberal federal positions than conservative. We do this by making sure as many people vote as are eligible, because when that's the case liberal candidates tend to win.

• Options
    So I know at this point we are waiting for one of three methods for federal approval of permanent PDT, but does anyone know of a site that's tracking where all of this is in the system?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Bumping this as a reminder to any last minute slackers like myself to get those ballots into a dropoff box by 8pm tonight.

Also, The Stranger's endorsements continue to delight.
    The size queens on the Stranger Election Control Board were initially excited to hear from King County Elections that the length of the ballot for the November election is record breaking. "This 18-inch ballot is the largest ever," they said. Someone in a uniform is probably stuffing it into your box right now.

Also also, this is usually my first go-to when engaging in speed voting:
    https://progressivevotersguide.com/

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Bless those slutty perverts at The Stranger. 😅

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I quit reading The Stranger regularly like....five or six years ago, I think, after all their best writers left

then they hired professional fuckwit Katie Herzog

Mudede is the only staff I still like and I get all I need from him on Twitter

all that said, their endorsements are generally pretty good

also: I am...concerned about the Seattle city council election

I suspect that Amazon will win because of all the low-info pop liberals in this city, and we're just going to wind up with the same type of council we had back in the Mike McGinn days, which helped create all the problems everyone is running against today

Shorty on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah. The Stranger is rough but their endorsements are still good. They line up almost perfectly with Progressive Voters Guide and even where they differ it's on small things.

• Options
    I really wish we could get rid of these advisory votes. Like without them the ballot would have been like one page.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I really wish we could get rid of these advisory votes. Like without them the ballot would have been like one page.

Those are Tim Eyman's fault, for those who don't know.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Polling is apparently looking really bad for I-976 and I just can not imagine how the fuck such a large majority of people polled actually think it’s in any way a good idea. I really hope the polls are wrong on it.

Neco on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    I was thinking that a couple of their endorsements seemed less developed than usual - they usually have a mention of the positives and/or negatives of non endorsed opponent, but they seemed to skip it on some of them this time. I took it as no significant difference.

• Options
    I knew it was going to pass as soon as I read it

hardly anyone read past thirty dollar car tabs, I guarantee it

• Options
    Yeah one reason people hate Tim Eyeman shit so much is that it passes based on absolute idiots reading one thing and not seeing the rest of it

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Also, won't this not "help" with the ST3 package, since that was a voter approved initiative?

Brody on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Polling is apparently looking really bad for I-976 and I just can not imagine how the fuck such a large majority of people polled actually think it’s in any way a good idea. I really hope the polls are wrong on it.

I'm suspicious of how much we can get from that poll since it was just phone polling. I mean I would expect the kind of people who answer phone calls from fake IRS scammers also like Eyeman's scams.

We'll find out tonight at any rate.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I feel there's a decent chance that an "Eliminate all taxes; Washington can no longer collect money using any method" referendum would pass. For how progressive the state is, we sure hate taxes.

• Options
    I feel there's a decent chance that an "Eliminate all taxes; Washington can no longer collect money using any method" referendum would pass. For how progressive the state is, we sure hate taxes.

And yet these same tax haters constantly complain about government services being inadequate, its fucking maddening.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

I'm suspicious of how much we can get from that poll since it was just phone polling. I mean I would expect the kind of people who answer phone calls from fake IRS scammers also like Eyeman's scams.

Yeah but the kind of people who answer phone calls from fake IRS scammers are also the kind of people who show up to vote in droves.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Yeah but the kind of people who answer phone calls from fake IRS scammers are also the kind of people who show up to vote in droves.

Well not really show up in our state, more like "open their mail and send it back" which yeah that's prime IRS scammer demo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    the one bright spot about I-976 is that it's really easy to convince people who support it that it actually fuckin' sucks, since, like I said, most of them didn't read past "thirty dollar car tabs"

support for it drops to like 34% after you tell people that it guts the funds for regional transit and street repair

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

There was 71% turnout last year! The previous midterm (2014) only had 54%
    The last two odd-year elections were only at ~40%, but one can hope we're actually a bit more engaged.
    2017 also had 37% turnout but King county had 42%, which is nice. And there weren't any major statewide votes.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Bellingham's a cool place, honestly

I've got a lot of good friends who went to Western

S'ok

No you cant move here

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I suspect seattle is going to royally fuck this one up

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

And yet these same tax haters constantly complain about government services being inadequate, its fucking maddening.

I maintain that Seattle area itself is Conveniently Liberal in the way that a majority of white southerners "aren't racist". A lot of people talk a big game, but they still lock their car doors when things make them uncomfortable.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I maintain that Seattle area itself is Conveniently Liberal in the way that a majority of white southerners "aren't racist". A lot of people talk a big game, but they still lock their car doors when things make them uncomfortable.

Hard yes

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think that's even a hot take.

• Options
    At this business we rent to anyone black white blue gay or Muslim.

Thats be first and last 4600 a month no pets laundry room is in the basement

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    At this business we rent to anyone black white blue gay or Muslim.

Thats be first and last 4600 a month no pets laundry room is in the basement

The most Seattle Liberal thing in the world is all the houses in Wallingford with this sign:

image2-19-e1498710380820.jpg

right next to this sign

KeepSeattleLivable_Logo.png

• Options
    Even if 976 passes Sound Transit will probably be safe.

Because the law is bonkers, ST issued bonds that need to be repaid, they can't just give the money back much of it is already spent. The actual legal contacts of the bonds themselves may not even allow for them to be paid back early. Eyeman certainly didn't check, so the text of the measure includes the provision that ST must pay back the bonds by the end of May, and if they can't the bonds stay in place. (Just no new bonds)

So like, if it does pass it's going to the state supreme court... even if it is ruled constitutional that's probably going to take longer than five months.

The whole law is a joke.

This discussion has been closed.