As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Even if 976 passes Sound Transit will probably be safe.

Because the law is bonkers, ST issued bonds that need to be repaid, they can't just give the money back much of it is already spent. The actual legal contacts of the bonds themselves may not even allow for them to be paid back early. Eyeman certainly didn't check, so the text of the measure includes the provision that ST must pay back the bonds by the end of May, and if they can't the bonds stay in place. (Just no new bonds)

So like, if it does pass it's going to the state supreme court... even if it is ruled constitutional that's probably going to take longer than five months.

The whole law is a joke.

Most of Eyeman's shit loses in the supreme court, but what I hate is that then the legislature "having heard the will of the people" takes up the ridiculous parts of it and passes it anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the Washington state legislature is the only response I need present to people who say that getting all three branches of the federal government in the hands of the democrats is all we need to do

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the Washington state legislature is the only response I need present to people who say that getting all three branches of the federal government in the hands of the democrats is all we need to do

*Gestures grandly at New Jersey*

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'd trade milquetoast Seattle liberals for Western Washington separatists any day, friend, I'll tell you that

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The worst part is I'm not going to see the election results until I get up for work tonight. Find out just how screwed a bunch of centrist fraidy cats and NIMBYs have left our region.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I feel there's a decent chance that an "Eliminate all taxes; Washington can no longer collect money using any method" referendum would pass. For how progressive the state is, we sure hate taxes.

And yet these same tax haters constantly complain about government services being inadequate, its fucking maddening.

I maintain that Seattle area itself is Conveniently Liberal in the way that a majority of white southerners "aren't racist". A lot of people talk a big game, but they still lock their car doors when things make them uncomfortable.

For a long time I felt it was a liberal utopia but after half a decade out in Baltimore and DC, which are by no means perfect, it's made Seattle's flaws a lot more obvious.

Also my family's racism. JFC a lot of my family is racist.

Edit: One sister literally freaked out that we were in Seattle at night as if two blocks from Pike's Place is some sort of death sentence.

Quid on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I quit reading The Stranger regularly like....five or six years ago, I think, after all their best writers left

then they hired professional fuckwit Katie Herzog

Mudede is the only staff I still like and I get all I need from him on Twitter

all that said, their endorsements are generally pretty good

also: I am...concerned about the Seattle city council election

I suspect that Amazon will win because of all the low-info pop liberals in this city, and we're just going to wind up with the same type of council we had back in the Mike McGinn days, which helped create all the problems everyone is running against today

The Stranger, for all its faults, is still better than The Seattle Times, AND it still employs good writers who are coming into their own (Eli Sanders won a frickin Pulizter ffs) in addition to Mudede.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This is a big election for my people.

Im speaking of course of those of us militantly opposed to architectural paints.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Listen I know there is a lot of misinformation out there about "big architectural paint," but it's just an advisory group like any other.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    King, Jefferson, Whatcom, San Juan
    Everyone else unable to understand that you need taxes to pay for things.
    Snohomish is the only major one left to report in but if Pierce went for Eyeman they probably will too.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    King, Jefferson, Whatcom, San Juan
    Everyone else unable to understand that you need taxes to pay for thing.
    Snohomish is the only major one let too report in but if Pierce went for Eyeman they probably will too.

Well

They're happy to take King County's tax money

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there some way to unfuck this once they've finished throwing their tax tantrum?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Looks like Amazon is getting what they paid for

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there some way to unfuck this once they've finished throwing their tax tantrum?

For initiatives to be amended or repealed by the legislature within the first two years after they become law you need a 2/3rds vote. After 2 years they can be changed with a normal majority vote.

Though the law itself might be unconstitutional and will probably be heading straight to the courts.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Shitty night

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ. Trump’s gonna win in 2020, isn’t he? How is everyone this fucking stupid.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Trump’s gonna win in 2020, isn’t he? How is everyone this fucking stupid.

This is why most places don't let the populace vote directly on their own taxes.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Shitty night

Hey, uh, the guys I voted for for port commissioner spots are winning?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    From what I've seen it has been a pretty good night for dems. WA is being the exception.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

WA is ridiculous about taxes: the reason most of us bitch about Eyman so much is his stupid bullshit tends to pass despite being horrible ideas. It's not particularly a reflection of the Presidential vote.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Neco wrote: »
    Shitty night

Hey, uh, the guys I voted for for port commissioner spots are winning?

Yeah, and not all of the Amazon people won either, so it’s not quite a clean sweep, but this is pretty shit otherwise

I wish I could have voted for Sawant again, but I live in the wrong district now. But yay, Tammy Morales at least!

Neco on
  • Options

WA is ridiculous about taxes: the reason most of us bitch about Eyman so much is his stupid bullshit tends to pass despite being horrible ideas. It's not particularly a reflection of the Presidential vote.

Yeah this state voting on a dumb ass tax stupidity is not any indication of anything other than our normal dumb tax things. The affirmative action vote was also going to be a hard sell on a state as lily white as this one especially with the dishonest "keep discrimination illegal"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That's the starting line, not the end of the fight. I don't know who you're talking to with that stance here.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Nation wide conservatives did poorly. Virginia had their first Dem majority in decades and Kentucky has a Dem governor again.

Our state's just really fucking stupid about taxes.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Shitty, broken down roads and no transit? The future looks awesome!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    I imagine most of this dumb eyeman shit will get shut down in the courts per usual.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    One can only hope so.

I took a look at all the initiatives that Eyeman has filed in 2018 and 2019. Dude is straight up Skeletor, but slimier.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options

That's the starting line, not the end of the fight. I don't know who you're talking to with that stance here.

the people who say what I just said. I was pretty clear about that.

• Options

his record is pretty bad, weirdly

he's only got like a 30% success rate and all but two of those have been declared unconstitutional

• Options

he's only got like a 30% success rate and all but two of those have been declared unconstitutional

Yeah but the successes always fuck us, and again the leg tends to "hear the will of the voters" and try and enact his dumb bullshit even when the supremes knock it down.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

That's part of what makes his shit so annoying.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Eyman has been a supreme waste of taxpayer money that is for sure.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Eyman has been a supreme waste of taxpayer money that is for sure.

ironic

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Yeah this state voting on a dumb ass tax stupidity is not any indication of anything other than our normal dumb tax things. The affirmative action vote was also going to be a hard sell on a state as lily white as this one especially with the dishonest "keep discrimination illegal"

In fairness, the racist Asian vote also contributed a lot.

• Options

In fairness, the racist Asian vote also contributed a lot.

Our brothers in keeping institutional racism benefiting those who already benefit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Things are looking... not awful for Seattle's progressive city councilors? Sawant is probably going to lose re-election, and Scott is almost certainly lost as well, but the others seem to be holding firm, or even gaining ground.

This all goes further in cementing my belief that Seattlites are only comfortable with a aggressive progressive message when it comes from a white man vs. LITERALLY anyone else.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Don't know about the others, but Strauss actually canvassed by our place twice during the run-up to the election. It was my first experience interacting in person with a candidate.

• Options
    shaun scott did a ton of canvassing, Wallingford just wants to never have density, and round up all the homeless folks and send them to a prison island so they picked the candidate who would make those happen

• Options
    it sucks that we're probably going to pass another eyman initiative but I think the most embarrassing statistic I've seen in this election is 27% voter turnout in King County

eat shit, you lazy fuckers, voting in this state is the easiest goddamn thing and it actually fucking matters

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    it sucks that we're probably going to pass another eyman initiative but I think the most embarrassing statistic I've seen in this election is 27% voter turnout in King County

eat shit, you lazy fuckers, voting in this state is the easiest goddamn thing and it actually fucking matters

I almost missed it. Couldn't find my ballot and ended up printing out a new one before I found my original one, but still voted with more than 30 minutes to spare :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.