As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Of note is that disbarment isn't really a Thing that Happens in the legal profession. Unless a lawyer ends up in prison, disbarment isn't something you should expect, even from jaw-dropping cases of misconduct. It's just not something that's done. I will also point out this bit from the article:
    In a statement, Cornell (the prosecutor's boss) said he will conduct a “thorough and objective examination” to determine if any further action is needed. That could take weeks, he said.
    The prosecutor has also been removed from trial rotation. I suspect this is a permanent removal, as this kind of misconduct is going to come up in all cases she deals with from now on, and the prosecutor's office doesn't want that kind of headache. (Reading between the lines a little, I suspect the inability to fire government employees at the drop of a hat should also be considered.)

Yes, I get that it's very rare to see a lawyer disbarred, and that it tends to be used when a lawyer embarrasses the bar more than anything (see: Thompson, Jack; Nifong, Mike.) My point is that the infrequency of disbarrment for egregious misconduct is a demonstration of the bar failing at its job of regulation and self-policing of its members. It is ridiculous that a prosecutor is allowed to remain licensed after despoiling evidence and threatening witnesses, and this is part of the problem we have with prosecutors abusing the power of their position. Also, her boss shouldn't be talking about anything, because he should be under the hammer as well, because this behavior does not happen in a vacuum.

This is just another example of why this sort of self-regulation doesn't work, because you wind up with perverse incentives to break the model and avoid properly regulating their members.

the way lawyers are regulated is absolutely insane and makes so many bizarre assumptions about corruption that I have to think it was intentional

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

You fucking know there is video!

"Please leave the chair when you leave." Damn Inslee damn.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Governor Inslee stealing Preacher's thunder with that sick burn!

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What can I say, the man cannot be trusted around chairs.

Or other objects.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Governor Inslee stealing Preacher's thunder with that sick burn!

Honestly with that kind of "fuck you" I'm proud to vote for Governor green meany

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jay Inslee also ran a pretty sweet presidential campaign; he pushed all the other candidates hard on climate change and then didn't stubbornly stick around after they responded.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Jay Inslee also ran a pretty sweet presidential campaign; he pushed all the other candidates hard on climate change and then didn't stubbornly stick around after they responded.

DNC overlords railroaded his campaign.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Yeah he was good in the debates when he'd get a minute to talk. As a governor he's been pretty aggressive on climate change stuff, which again with our state is getting to be like get busy living or get busy dying priority.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I was kind of surprised how much my conservative coworkers seem to hate him. I mean, they're conservatives, but still. I thought he's been doing a pretty alright job?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I was kind of surprised how much my conservative coworkers seem to hate him. I mean, they're conservatives, but still. I thought he's been doing a pretty alright job?

He's a liberal, and he's not super against raising taxes (THE HORROR) so he's the worst ever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

An alright job at tearing at the foundations of 'Murica!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the thing about governors in Washington is that it's not a strong office, so he hasn't really accomplished much, and for most of his tenure we had a split legislature, which is like not having a legislature at all, really

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I wish he'd stop appointing judges from his old law firm, but aside from that I've been very okay with him thus far.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    https://www.inlander.com/spokane/the-spokane-gops-matt-shea-statement-includes-neither-the-word-matt-nor-shea/Content?oid=18952035
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jan/21/house-democrats-may-skip-further-actions-against-s/

Updates on the Matt Shea situation:
    The Spokane GOP put out a statement that's basically "While we reject the use of violence for political ends, and condemn anyone who uses violence for political ends, we don't think organizing an armed takeover of a government office using white supremacist groups should count as violence.". (This is not the moderate Spokane Republican group saying this, but the more extreme one that currently has possession of the official party machinery.)

It looks like Matt Shea, domestic terrorist, is not going to be expelled from the legislature, because there's fewer than 9 Republican State House members that are willing to vote to expel him, and the Democratic Party doesn't want to waste time holding a vote they know will fail.

• Options
    Man the next democrat that has to step down because they shopped at fred meyers is going to piss me off while domestic terrorist Matt Shea is allowed to remain.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.inlander.com/spokane/the-spokane-gops-matt-shea-statement-includes-neither-the-word-matt-nor-shea/Content?oid=18952035
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jan/21/house-democrats-may-skip-further-actions-against-s/

Updates on the Matt Shea situation:
    The Spokane GOP put out a statement that's basically "While we reject the use of violence for political ends, and condemn anyone who uses violence for political ends, we don't think organizing an armed takeover of a government office using white supremacist groups should count as violence.". (This is not the moderate Spokane Republican group saying this, but the more extreme one that currently has possession of the official party machinery.)

It looks like Matt Shea, domestic terrorist, is not going to be expelled from the legislature, because there's fewer than 9 Republican State House members that are willing to vote to expel him, and the Democratic Party doesn't want to waste time holding a vote they know will fail.

Nice to know that conservatives everywhere are still scum.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was going to say something about "not all conservatives" but... maybe at this point that particular word is just sullied beyond all hope.

I know I haven't used it to describe myself since... Bush got reelected? Which was really my first strong hint that american conservativism was becoming fully untethered from reality. I was certain that "No WMD's" was the end of that administration, but then literally nothing happened and I've been disillusioned ever since.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    I was going to say something about "not all conservatives" but... maybe at this point that particular word is just sullied beyond all hope.

I know I haven't used it to describe myself since... Bush got reelected? Which was really my first strong hint that american conservativism was becoming fully untethered from reality. I was certain that "No WMD's" was the end of that administration, but then literally nothing happened and I've been disillusioned ever since.

Conservative, to me, is in the same category as racist, Nazi, bigot, sexist, or fascist (or really any number of other negative labels).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    To keep this local... this basically means I've been seriously considering joining the D's in an official capacity. One motivating factor is to vote in the primary I'd either have to join, or lie on an official document and say I'm a Democrat when I'm not.

My best friend regularly attends my district democrat meeting and has encouraged me several times to go lurk at least.

Of course it's at 6:30pm on a weekday because old people.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    To keep this local... this basically means I've been seriously considering joining the D's in an official capacity. One motivating factor is to vote in the primary I'd either have to join, or lie on an official document and say I'm a Democrat when I'm not.

My best friend regularly attends my district democrat meeting and has encouraged me several times to go lurk at least.

Of course it's at 6:30pm on a weekday because old people.

You don't have to have card carrying membership or anything for the (presidental) primary.
    You're just restricted to voting for one party or the other. You declare your party affiliation, which, voting in the primary makes you affiliated in my book.

For every other primary this doesn't even matter because of our stupid jungle primaries.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I suspect that that kind of thing is part of the mechanism of the Overton Window. If the Democratic Party becomes the party of reasonable conservatives, then more liberal voices get weakened. It's balanced out a bit by the incoming members being exposed to more views, but still...

• Options
    I remember reading the wording you'd have to sign and being super uncomfortable with it. Maybe the word was "affiliated", but I would normally interpret that as being, if someone says "Are you a Democrat" you'd just unequivocally say "yes".

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

They can at least get the local GOP on the record as supporting violent white supremacy that would overthrow the government at the first opportunity.

• Options
    I remember reading the wording you'd have to sign and being super uncomfortable with it. Maybe the word was "affiliated", but I would normally interpret that as being, if someone says "Are you a Democrat" you'd just unequivocally say "yes".

Is that for 2020, or the 2016 primary, or the fake 2016 primary that didn't actually matter? Because they changed things for 2020.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I thought it was the 2020 one... let's find out...

edit: I'm failing to find the statement/assertion/pledge anywhere.... I'll keep looking though...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    I thought it was the 2020 one... let's find out...

edit: I'm failing to find the statement/assertion/pledge anywhere.... I'll keep looking though...

I have a feeling you were thinking of the 2016 primary caucuses, which did require an attestation that you were in the relevant party. Those are now dead and buried, and 2020 will use the regular vote-by-mail system.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Wait, found it.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/a-primer-on-the-primary-ballot/
    Yes, you need to choose a party and sign the envelope for the 2020 primary, but there's nothing there that looks too bad. (EDIT: this is the 2016 version, but I don't expect changes to the wording.)

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of terrible people, Seattle is having a nasty night full of shooters. I hope you're all safe. Please stay alert and keep an eye on the news until things clear up.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I work downtown near Westlake, but caught the bus as police were starting to cordon off the area. Hope folx stay safe tonight.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My building is on lockdown. Also it's our first night with performers on stage for rehearsals, so we've got 100+ people in here right now and we're all a little nervous.

• Options
    How disgusting lyft and uber were doing surge pricing during the shooting. They "fixed" the mistake, but yeah fuck you both.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    How disgusting lyft and uber were doing surge pricing during the shooting. They "fixed" the mistake, but yeah fuck you both.

Like, they were charging extra to get rides out? I mean, shouldn't they have just marked the area off limits?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Like, they were charging extra to get rides out? I mean, shouldn't they have just marked the area off limits?

A ride from downtown to Capitol Hill was $30 for an Uber pool or $50 for an individual ride, about an hour after the shooting.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yeah this shooting happened at the mall by the end of the streetcar and monorail stations. I’m at that location at least once a week. Second shooting there in two days, with 8 casualties and two deaths. No shooters have been arrested yet.

Ugh. My kiddo is supposed to be up here in a few weeks.

• Options

Yeah charging more to get rides out, making money on people being panic'd.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    What I'll despise is when people talk about the recent gun control restrictions in Seattle like people aren't just bringing guns in from outside the city.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Effing McStabby's, as it often is. They need to just install a damned police mini-station there.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Yeah charging more to get rides out, making money on people being panic'd.

I mean, it's predatory, but it's also a result of their algorithm detecting supply vs demand.

I'm guessing that unless someone steps in and explicitly kibosh's it, it happens automatically as the demand from people looking to get out rises, and the supply of drivers willing to stay in or go back to the area diminishes.

Yeah, it's some hot bullshit when it happens because of inclement weather too, but I think I'm past being annoyed at them for it like it's a surprise. It always happens, they always apologize, it'll happen again next crisis or disaster. Not to excuse it, but short of them abandoning the surge pricing structure entirely, I don't see how it can be combated (and that in itself is an arbitrary artificial limitation on demand, so instead we have new problems to complain about instead).

Like, realistically, other than recommend their people get away from danger and take whomever they can on the way, I'm not sure what else can be done. They're not emergency responders, do we really want them in or going back to such an area at all? While respecting this sentiment may come across as 'oh, so abandon people to their fate, possibly?', but again, not trained first responders. Merely potentially more victims if shit really has gone sideways.

But, circling back to my original point, I don't think it's worth exasperation. The system doesn't know if it's because there's a shooting, or a rain squall, or a concert just got out. Demand rose, supply isn't matching it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I guess for me maybe there should be a person watching surge pricing to make sure I dunno you aren't charging people more to escape an area where a fucking active shooting is going on? I'm kind of over huge tech companies getting to "disrupt" market places and then throwing their hands up in exasperation when their awful practices result in shit like that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess for me maybe there should be a person watching surge pricing to make sure I dunno you aren't charging people more to escape an area where a fucking active shooting is going on? I'm kind of over huge tech companies getting to "disrupt" market places and then throwing their hands up in exasperation when their awful practices result in shit like that.

I'm willing to say, similar to my thoughts on most tech, that yes, they should have a couple people for each city/metropolitan area, checking news and weather to make sure drivers don't end driving into an active shooter zone. Especially when there is a chance that driver doesn't know not to go there right now.

This discussion has been closed.