As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’d like to see a requirement that ballot initiatives include a funding mechanism.

This would also include ballot measures that cut a source of revenue, such as car tabs.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    You can't legislate your way out of this problem, because the problem is bad faith

Shorty on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to just trash the entire initiative process.

Can't bad faith rules lawyer your way out of that.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah the issue is that initiatives are meant to solve a problem of government that only arises if the government is no longer operating in good faith, and if there are bad faith actors active in government that means that the initiatives process itself will be co-opted by them

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    You can't legislate your way out of this problem, because the problem is bad faith

Eh, the problem with Eyman's initiatives specifically is that they are designed to wreck the ability of the government to raise money by hiding what we use the money for. You can absolutely require initiatives to focus on the actual effects instead of the taxation required to pay for them.
    Compare "$30 car tabs!!!!!!" to "Destroy the DOT's funding". This brings his initiatives in line with other ones, which are less "Raise taxes (and use the taxes to give everyone a pony)" and more "Give everyone a pony!", with the actual tax sources elsewhere in the initiative. Make it absolutely clear what actual change will occur.
    Side note, but I'm a bit tired of Washington requiring me to defend terrible taxes because those are the only ones the legislature could get passed. The sales tax is stupid; it's highly regressive and has a lot of red tape associated with it. (You shouldn't collect taxes cents at a time. If you give me a chance, I can rant about this further.) Car tabs are even worse; it's basically a head tax. There's an argument for making car use expensive, but outside of the greater Seattle/Tacoma area, you absolutely need a car for daily use, and the voting reflected that.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I wonder if Inslee can leverage his climate change advocacy with all the raging wild fires that have been happening in Eastern Washington lately.

Like... Washington is literally on fire. This is not a metaphor.

• Options
    Leverage it where and for what exactly?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, there should be a ban on including initiatives that touch taxation because their are a ton of idiots that will vote to give themselves a possible tax cut and then turn around pissing and moaning, when that possible tax cut results in them losing a service that they valued.

Also of the opinion that we need an amendment to the US Constitution that requires a minimum progressive income tax. Sure irresponsible states would still just keep their income tax at the bare minimum, but they'd still have to collect some and would actually have some revenue to do the shit they are supposed to do, instead of either leaching off the rest of the country, piling the entire government bill on the poor and middle class or doing both.

Regardless Eyman's bullshit is more a symptom of two bad setups, so it would be better to fix those setups so that he can't pull of said bullshit.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Honestly, there should be a ban on including initiatives that touch taxation because their are a ton of idiots that will vote to give themselves a possible tax cut and then turn around pissing and moaning, when that possible tax cut results in them losing a service that they valued.

Also of the opinion that we need an amendment to the US Constitution that requires a minimum progressive income tax. Sure irresponsible states would still just keep their income tax at the bare minimum, but they'd still have to collect some and would actually have some revenue to do the shit they are supposed to do, instead of either leaching off the rest of the country, piling the entire government bill on the poor and middle class or doing both.

Regardless Eyman's bullshit is more a symptom of two bad setups, so it would be better to fix those setups so that he can't pull of said bullshit.

I'm absolutely not onboard with any higher level government telling lower level governments how or how not to tax themselves. I'm in particular very defensive of municipal autonomy. That is in fact one of the main reasons I voted against this initiative: If Seattle wants to set a car tab tax or an income tax or whatever and spend it on Free Ponies or whatever, that's entirely Seattle's business and noone else's. The degree to which the Olympia micromanages city tax policy is infuriating.

Likewise (though less so) with Washington vs Federal. It is not the Federal government's job to fix our crappy taxation system: We should be able to take care of that ourselves.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    And now there's a suit sent directly to the State Supreme Court, seeking to have I-976 put into place by the original deadline. This is a writ of mandamus, (which forces a government official to do or not do something) and I don't expect it to go anywhere, as there's no good reason to assume the judge has been doing anything wrong, as long as you're outside the right-wing infosphere. I haven't seen the actual document, though.
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/dec/03/second-challenge-of-order-blocking-i-976-filed-wit/

• Options
    The State Supreme Court ruled that the injunction is fine.
    https://komonews.com/news/local/30-car-tabs-stalled-as-washington-supreme-court-upholds-injunction

The Court Commissioners’ Office ruled that the writ of mandamus was "so plainly defective" that there was no reason to waste the State Supreme Court's time with it.
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/dec/05/car-tab-break-set-for-today-delayed-as-supreme-cou/

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm amused at the idea that Eyman's running for governor somehow is the reason he is publically acting out and blaming Ferguson for the delay. ... I'm pretty sure he has always been, and will always be, an ass and an attention addict. This isn't some kind of behavioral change.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    So, what's Eyman been up to?

"Eyman, the candidate for governor, says his income was less than $48,000 over the last 12 months.
    Eyman, the serial initiative promoter and conservative activist, says he made more than $297,000 over the last 12 months."

The difference is simple: his bankruptcy forms need all his income, but the candidate forms let him get away with skipping all the "donations" he's getting for his legal defense fund. (According to Eyman.) Again, nobody knows where these donations are coming from, only that the source is "Confidential — not to be released or shared with the state", (according to Eyman, this is something you're allowed to do) and that they're definitely not taxable income (according to Eyman). In 2017, he made $737,000, most of it "gifts", which are also definitely not taxable income (according to Eyman). To quote myself:
    Why is Eyman willing to accumulate $225k in contempt of court fines so far (which I doubt he's paid) in order to hide this money? Well:

* Let's assume I have a reputation for getting initiatives on the ballot.
    * A company has an initiative they want on the ballot.
    * The company pays me $100k.
    * I spend $50k getting the initiative on the ballot, and pocket the rest.

Is the $100k a gift, completely unrelated to me getting their initiative on the ballot? Then that's fine. Is the $100k a payment for getting the initiative on the ballot? Then I illegally pocketed a lot of political donations that were earmarked for a specific purpose. The attorney general wants to ask the groups that give him his money why they gave Eyman money, but Eyman is refusing to tell who gave him the money on the grounds that you don't need to declare when someone gives you a gift.

With that in mind, a thought occurred. Let's say that (just as a hypothetical) revealing the source of this income would show that it's actually taxable. Eyman has not been paying taxes on this income, on the grounds that it's a gift, but (again, just as a hypothetical) the IRS might disagree, and this is the sort of thing the IRS will seek jail time over.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/how-much-money-did-tim-eyman-make-last-year-depends-what-form-you-check/

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    $6.9 million misappropriated from Pierce County Housing Authority by finance director, auditor’s report says

...And the award for biggest case of fraud in local government in the state goes to this finance director!

Oddly enough, this fraud wasn't spotted until an audit this year, even though the director had been siphoning funds since 2016. I thought these sorts of organizations were audited yearly, but maybe I'm wrong.

This might actually fuck over pierce county's ability to receive HUD funds in the future, yikes :/

• Options
    $6.9 million misappropriated from Pierce County Housing Authority by finance director, auditor’s report says

...And the award for biggest case of fraud in local government in the state goes to this finance director!

Oddly enough, this fraud wasn't spotted until an audit this year, even though the director had been siphoning funds since 2016. I thought these sorts of organizations were audited yearly, but maybe I'm wrong.

This might actually fuck over pierce county's ability to receive HUD funds in the future, yikes :/

Looks like this came from auditing the 2018 records, and the earlier transfers weren't noticed until personal bank records were subpoenaed. The PDF is, as usual, fascinating if you're interested in this sort of thing.
    Control Weaknesses

The Housing Authority did not have adequate internal controls to safeguard public resources. We found the following weaknesses allowed the misappropriation to occur:
    * The Finance Director had full access to all systems and had wire transfer capability with little to no oversight or monitoring of her activities.
    * At the time of the audit, the Housing Authority had 13 bank/fiduciary accounts. The number of accounts made it more difficult to monitor transactions and reconcile accounts.
    * The Finance Director did not consistently provide adquate financial information to the Board of Commissioners so it could monitor operations.
    * Staff members who reconciled bank statements focused solely on the cleared dollar amounts, not on the vendors or the nature of the transactions.
    * ACH payments are processed in batches, not individually, and show up as a batched dollar amount on the Housing Authority’s bank statements. Further, journal entries to record the batches in the accounting system were confusing and not always entered in a timely manner.
    * Reviewers did not have the expertise to fully understand and review ACH payments, nor did they have firsthand knowledge of vendor or employee bank account numbers to recognize when payments were diverted to the former Finance Director’s bank account.
    * Housing Authority finance staff told us the Housing Authority’s software systems were not optimal for operations, so they used a second software system for certain functions. These duplicate systems made it easier for the Finance Director to conceal transactions.
    * The Accounts Payable Clerk reconciled all credit card activity, including the Finance Director’s credit card. However, the Finance Director supervised the Clerk, and directed the Clerk to forward any questions about credit card activity to her.

• Options

WA Rep. Matt Shea engaged in ‘domestic terrorism,’ helped plan Malheur standoff, investigation finds

go read the article for all the details, i'm honestly just completely floored by this. finally matt shea is going to get some form of punishment for all his shit. as the article mentions, it's unlikely he's removed for office or sees a cell, because we live in deeply sick times.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    God what a piece of shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i'm reading the full 108 page investigation report and besides feeling like i'm having a stroke the whole time i read it, this detail was previously unknown to me and maybe is the wildest thing i've seen so far

3epgdumqcod8.png

• Options
    Note that while he hasn't been removed from the House, he has been removed from (I assume) all committees, and suspended from the House Republican caucus. This is basically the most severe punishment that doesn't involve removing him from the House.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Ferguson's office could easily find something to charge him with. The dude's absolutely guilty of something illegal. What remains to be seen is whether or not they want to expend political capital in order to imprison him.

• Options
    I giggled at this mini-thread

Daniel Walters writes for The Inlander, a Spokane alt-weekly

• Options

Jesus he fucking pulled a gun on a minor in a road rage incident, how the fuck is this guy a state congressman?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Witness 22 was very helpful to this investigation, and Shea definitely has enough info to tell who it was. I'm not comfortable with this level of detail being public.

• Options
    Witness 22 was very helpful to this investigation, and Shea definitely has enough info to tell who it was. I'm not comfortable with this level of detail being public.

The witness's name is publicly known (it's openly in the reporting by The Inlander), and the investigative report details an incident of him receiving death threats from shea aligned goons

kkg9kn1jcpap.png

• Options
    So this is how right wing people are allowed to commit terroristic threats because they are in office? Like what the fuck is going on with spokane that Shea isn't arrested.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I read just a bit further in the timeline; Shea also did this

nryyz3oagx79.png

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So this is how right wing people are allowed to commit terroristic threats because they are in office? Like what the fuck is going on with spokane that Shea isn't arrested.

Conservatives don't get arrested for stuff. Rule for thee and all that.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Shea is definitely the type who wants to set up a Dominionist ethnostate here in the PNW. Also probably has diddled kids, as that type is wont to do. Mark my words: it's never just one bad thing. It's always several.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    In other news, the WA Supreme Court says that our legislators are in fact subject to public records requests.

Recall that last year both parties tried to slip in a new law that made the legislature immune to this public records law with less than 48 hours between it being introduced and it being "debated", voted on and approved. And that there was somewhat of a backlash when the public found out, enough that Inslee vetoed it.

So that's good.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    The LA Times has a more in-depth look on the Matt Shea situation:
    https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-12-20/matt-shea-republican-domestic-terrorism-white-supremacy
    Notes:
    * The area Matt Shea represents is part of the white supremacist "Northwest Territorial Imperative"; the goal is basically for all the racists to move to one area and form their own state.
    * Washington Republicans really should have known about Matt Shea's...issues before now, but apparently he's a really good fundraiser, so getting them to actually recognize this had to wait until this report made the news, at which point they are actually willing to abandon him.
    * Republican leadership has "suggested" that Matt Shea resign. Matt Shea is refusing to resign. "Like we are seeing with our president, this is a sham investigation meant to silence those of us who stand up against attempts to disarm and destroy our great country, I will not back down, I will not give in, I will not resign."
    * It might be possible to expel him from the House. The House Republican leader is talking behind the scenes about this. However, he's also talking about "will of the voters", so I'm not going to hold my breath. What I suspect is that he only wants to hold that vote if it would be (nearly) unanimous, and he doesn't have those votes yet.
    * Even if Matt Shea is replaced, the nature of the region he represents means that his replacement might hold very similar views.
    * The region has both a Republican party, and a (comparatively) moderate Republican group that appears to have similar views to the national party. That they lost control of the local party apparatus isn't a great sign.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is Shea a federal Representative, or is this just an in state thing?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    State.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    State.

State representatives rarely even make the local news.

For one to reach national news is really, really bad.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    State.

State representatives rarely even make the local news.

For one to reach national news is really, really bad.

And yet he'll still be state rep despite threatening a minor with a hand gun and other awful shit. His continued existence in the state leg is an insult to everyone in this state.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Out of Everett, we have a case of prosecutorial misconduct that reaches levels of "holy fuck":
    A judge called the prosecutor’s actions “uniquely egregious.”

In an exhaustive and sharply worded 214-page decision, Superior Court Judge Anita Farris accused a Snohomish County deputy prosecutor of withholding and destroying evidence, threatening a witness into testifying, and repeatedly lying to the court.

As a result, Farris in June dismissed the case and ordered the release of a suspect in the robbing and shooting of a teenage boy.

That said, the judge's response is utterly inadequate:
    On Dec. 5, Farris ordered sanctions against deputy prosecutor Michelle Rutherford, for acts of willful misconduct. According to the decision, Rutherford will have to apologize to the defense attorney, the detective who worked on the case and the colleagues who defended her in court, including her boss, Prosecutor Adam Cornell. She also will have to take classes in legal ethics and read up on case law and professional standards.

I'm sorry, but no, this is not acceptable. At the very least, she should be disbarred for her conduct, not to mention the criminal charges for destroying evidence and witness tampering she should also be facing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure a judge doesn't have the ability to either bring charges against nor disbar a prosector.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a judge doesn't have the ability to either bring charges against nor disbar a prosector.

They very much have the authority to forward those on to the relevant entities, especially in matters of disbarrment. Her punishment is a slap on the wrist.

• Options
    Of note is that disbarment isn't really a Thing that Happens in the legal profession. Unless a lawyer ends up in prison, disbarment isn't something you should expect, even from jaw-dropping cases of misconduct. It's just not something that's done. I will also point out this bit from the article:
    In a statement, Cornell (the prosecutor's boss) said he will conduct a “thorough and objective examination” to determine if any further action is needed. That could take weeks, he said.
    The prosecutor has also been removed from trial rotation. I suspect this is a permanent removal, as this kind of misconduct is going to come up in all cases she deals with from now on, and the prosecutor's office doesn't want that kind of headache. (Reading between the lines a little, I suspect the inability to fire government employees at the drop of a hat should also be considered.)

In other news, Eyman is back on his bullshit, asking a Thurston County judge to rule if I-976 was misleading. I expect this to go as well as his previous attempt to get the State Supreme Court to issue a writ of mandamus. This is kind of like asking for a change of venue, but done in a really stupid way, where the court's only real option is to reject his motion. Also, he's asking for the venue to be changed because King County is a plaintiff, but Thurston County is also a plaintiff...
    https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/thurston-county-i-976-car-tab-motion/281-3b491472-644f-4323-9953-f32082303a7a
    https://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2019/12/tim-eyman-is-apparently-unaware-that-thurston-countys-intercity-transit-is-also-a-plaintiff-suing-to-invalidate-initiative-976.html

• Options
    Of note is that disbarment isn't really a Thing that Happens in the legal profession. Unless a lawyer ends up in prison, disbarment isn't something you should expect, even from jaw-dropping cases of misconduct. It's just not something that's done. I will also point out this bit from the article:
    In a statement, Cornell (the prosecutor's boss) said he will conduct a “thorough and objective examination” to determine if any further action is needed. That could take weeks, he said.
    The prosecutor has also been removed from trial rotation. I suspect this is a permanent removal, as this kind of misconduct is going to come up in all cases she deals with from now on, and the prosecutor's office doesn't want that kind of headache. (Reading between the lines a little, I suspect the inability to fire government employees at the drop of a hat should also be considered.)

Yes, I get that it's very rare to see a lawyer disbarred, and that it tends to be used when a lawyer embarrasses the bar more than anything (see: Thompson, Jack; Nifong, Mike.) My point is that the infrequency of disbarrment for egregious misconduct is a demonstration of the bar failing at its job of regulation and self-policing of its members. It is ridiculous that a prosecutor is allowed to remain licensed after despoiling evidence and threatening witnesses, and this is part of the problem we have with prosecutors abusing the power of their position. Also, her boss shouldn't be talking about anything, because he should be under the hammer as well, because this behavior does not happen in a vacuum.

This is just another example of why this sort of self-regulation doesn't work, because you wind up with perverse incentives to break the model and avoid properly regulating their members.

• Options

aaron kunkler is a seattle weekly reporter. jay inslee is the governor. tim eyman is a wart on the ass of the state.

This discussion has been closed.