As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Could a state governor declare that? That seems kind of outside their abilities?

There's really only one way to find out, and he didn't care to find out.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Its still early days on what measures are going to have to be deployed, both in terms of distancing and economic controls.

Here to next Friday is a long time.

• Options
    It's an especially long time for my friends and laid off co-workers who don't have the money necessary to survive two months with no income and no recourse for alternative employment.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Inslee can use the response to this virus as a model for climate change. Yes, it's going to hurt at first, but the alternative would be far worse.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Inslee can use the response to this virus as a model for climate change. Yes, it's going to hurt at first, but the alternative would be far worse.

I have to imagine any attempts to compare and use as an example will be shouted down for "politicizing"

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Unemployment insurance is sort of the best vehicle to deal with issues like this. Is the current system up to the task? Absolutely not. Partly because a lot of people are kind of informally employed (uber etc) and partly because the entire system is slow and not meant for long periods of intentional economic shutdown.

But if people stop paying rent, then landlords stop paying mortgages, then MBS's start failing, and we end up way worse off then if we'd just given people the money to pay rent and also buy food etc in the first place.

I mean maybe that's what it comes down to because the system isn't ready, but I hope not... and I hope we learn something from this mess.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    It's an especially long time for my friends and laid off co-workers who don't have the money necessary to survive two months with no income and no recourse for alternative employment.

Not trying to be an ass here, but I think most grocery stores are looking to hire people to help stock shelves. Its not the best option, but it'll certainly help when the government won't.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Not trying to be an ass here, but I think most grocery stores are looking to hire people to help stock shelves. Its not the best option, but it'll certainly help when the government won't.

Sadly that's not an option for lots of people I know.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://keprtv.com/news/coronavirus/massive-coronavirus-related-lines-outside-west-richland-gun-shop

Ah Tricities, only the classiest of panic buying.
    "You don't delay your purchase of fire extinguishers and other essentials," he explains. "So it's probably smart not to delay these either."

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m very doubtful that anyone in that line for a gun doesn’t already have several.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The NRA is encouraging that of course

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m very doubtful that anyone in that line for a gun doesn’t already have several.

Minorities targeted by racists, but otherwise yeah.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The local grocery store in West Seattle was surprisingly well stocked. They had us distance-queued to limit the crowd, but I cleared it in maybe 10 minutes or so.

There were a few things cleaned out... some canned goods and a few parts of the frozen food section, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I was mostly there for milk, and there was plenty of all types.

I didn't even bother looking at paper goods, but I saw someone leaving with a 3 pack of paper towels, so that's something.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A full 50% of the patients here today are asymptomatic people “wanting to get tested.”

The panic, I’m afraid, has set in

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Looks like they're shutting Hanford down. Only essential personnel and those who can telework. About 9,000 people do work on or related to the site. Dunno how many are essential or can telework, though. Probably a couple thousand at least.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    A full 50% of the patients here today are asymptomatic people “wanting to get tested.”

The panic, I’m afraid, has set in

hey tell those people to get some diagnostics done while they're there

why yes, my wife does work at one of the lab companies why do you ask?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean, ideally we'd want asymptomatic people to also get tested, it helps determine spread and how many people who have it are asymptomatic and whatnot.

It's only that we've flubbed testing so hard that it's a problem :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It'll also be critical for getting vulnerable people on antivirals asap, once we've worked that out.

jothki on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/mar/23/inslee-to-address-state-tonight/

Inslee to address State tonight. I expect a shelter-at-home order.

• Options
    Arts organizations on the Seattle Center grounds are getting a two month rent holiday. This is excellent news. Private orgs not located on the campus are still living in uncertain times, but I have a feeling that fundraisers will help plug the gap when the time comes... I hope.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    On consequences I hadn't thought of,
    The stranger is asking for donations. Turns out that most of their income came from public gatherings, and those aren't very popular right now.
    And the Cascade bicycle club as well, since their major rides will likely not happen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Honestly at first I thought people were wanting him to jump the gun, but seriously every other state seems to be doing one. And we were the first deaths in the nation so we should be shut down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Honestly at first I thought people were wanting him to jump the gun, but seriously every other state seems to be doing one. And we were the first deaths in the nation so we should be shut down.

I'm wondering how effective the current restrictions are, but I'm going to guess the hospital hit is getting too large to consider waiting the requisite two weeks for the results to be clear.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I'm wondering how effective the current restrictions are, but I'm going to guess the hospital hit is getting too large to consider waiting the requisite two weeks for the results to be clear.

Seems like it's just starting to spread in Eastern Washington, too. This honestly might nip that in the bud for a bit.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I mean, ideally we'd want asymptomatic people to also get tested, it helps determine spread and how many people who have it are asymptomatic and whatnot.

It's only that we've flubbed testing so hard that it's a problem :(

Yeah, I operate in a semi-essential role (I work on a line of lab equipment that is used in hospitals to test if patients are ready for surgery), and the inability to get tested is EXTREMELY frustrating. I could've had this already and have no idea, but I can't just drop everything. I'm not at all worried about me getting sick, but I definitely concerned about being a potential vector with all the traveling I normally do.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Itll be unconscionable if we get an indefinite shelter in place order but no rent holiday or subsistence checks.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know how the state could pay subsistence checks. Like sales tax has to be taking a beating already, I doubt the state budget could afford to give money out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't know how the state could pay subsistence checks. Like sales tax has to be taking a beating already, I doubt the state budget could afford to give money out.

They're gonna have to find a way to get money. The rent is too damn high!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    The stranger is asking for donations. Turns out that most of their income came from public gatherings, and those aren't very popular right now.
    And the Cascade bicycle club as well, since their major rides will likely not happen.

I would describe my current level of sympathy for the stranger as "minimal", given how often they've dumped on Erica Barnett for using a crowdfunded model in the past

not to mention their ongoing employment of katie herzog

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Aim wrote: »

I would describe my current level of sympathy for the stranger as "minimal", given how often they've dumped on Erica Barnett for using a crowdfunded model in the past

not to mention their ongoing employment of katie herzog

I can't claim to know too much about it. From my perspective, they have the most informative sections on local elections that I'm aware of.

I'd ask your opinion, were they to go under, do you think the average coverage of local politics/news would get better.or worse?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it's currently hard to argue it would be a net loss for local political coverage. heidi groover and sydney brownstone are still doing better work at other outlets, and erica barnett is still the best beat journalist in the area.

meanwhile, the stranger has someone immediately rebut whatever dumb shit herzog says on Slog, and their election endorsements, and that's really it.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Stay home order just issued.

• Options
    Yeah I got it before the player crashed. Do you know when it takes effect?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I may have missed it before I got the king5 feed going, just caught that the business closure is in effect in 48 hours though are encouraged to close immediately. Minimum length of the order is two weeks.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I may have missed it before I got the king5 feed going, just caught that the business closure is in effect in 48 hours though are encouraged to close immediately. Minimum length of the order is two weeks.

Ok that makes sense, my job was shutting down on wednesday for in person, so I wonder if they got wind of this and planned it out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Details for those of us that can't watch?

• Options

Twitter link for the brief summary. Basically if you aren't going to the doctor, the grocery store, or an essential job you aren't supposed to be going anywhere

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Stay home and stay healthy for min two weeks. You can go outside just min distance of 6 feet in effect. Essential businesses remain open. ToGo restaurants can still stay open. Wednesday start time (48 hours).

• Options
    edited March 2020

Twitter link for the brief summary. Basically if you aren't going to the doctor, the grocery store, or an essential job you aren't supposed to be going anywhere

Thanks. Text for those that don't see embeds:
    To protect Washingtonians from COVID-19, I am issuing a ‘Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ order.

Here is what it means for you and your family. ⬇️

Effective immediately, all Washingtonians must stay home unless they are pursuing an essential activity.

Those include:
    ➡️ Grocery shopping
    ➡️ Doctor appointments
    ➡️ Essential work duty

Shelter in place by another name.

Orca on
This discussion has been closed.