As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]šŸ¦€Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte financesšŸ¦€

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's almost like shutting down our mental institution infrastructure in the 80s wasn't the best solution.

Yes, I am aware the state hospitals had tons of issues but so far our alternative has been a combination of ignore them and throw them in jail for minor offenses.

Whippy wrote: Ā»
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: Ā»
    It's almost like shutting down our mental institution infrastructure in the 80s wasn't the best solution.

Yes, I am aware the state hospitals had tons of issues but so far our alternative has been a combination of ignore them and throw them in jail for minor offenses.

Reagan's poisonous legacy continues to haunt us.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I think a big part of the problematic perception too many have of homelessness is that our valuation of a person is too tied up in ā€œhaving a job/what kind of job.ā€

Seattle strikes me as a place, dominated by gigantic and ubiquitous brands, where this may be even more strongly embedded in people despite its liberalism.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    hold up one second, the judge just ruled that it would be constitutional to do so; whether tim eyman will actually lose that case is yet to be decided

• Options
    He's gonna fucking lose. I'll eat a rolling chair from Office Depot if he doesn't.

• Options
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Finally, I get full representation without taxation.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: Ā»
    Finally, I get full representation without taxation.

YOU SON OF A !!!

You ruin everything quid everything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    In my defense I regularly pay sales tax to three different governments with zero representation among them.

It is only just that I raise everyone else's taxes.

• Options
    That is not a defense!!!

Still getting rid of the caucus's and Tim Eyeman means this weekend is a net plus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I will fill the Eyeman power vacuum.

ABOLISH ALL STATE TAXES*

*for quid

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So my wife got her job offer, but rather than the Lynnwood location we thought she'd be based in, she'll be in Des Moines. I don't really know the area south of the city. Where are some good places to live that would still make it easy-ish to use public transportation to get into the city? We'll be planning a trip to look at places soon, assuming her negotiation goes well.

Artereis on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    In general, "near a freeway onramp" would be good for getting buses. Coverage outside of work hours is going to be rather poor, though.

There is also apparently a RapidRide line running N/S through Des Moines: (to the West of I5)
    https://kingcounty.gov/~/media/depts/transportation/metro/maps/system/03232019/pdf/metro-system-map-sw
    which sounds pretty sweet if you can manage it.
    "RapidRide buses come so often, you don't need a timetable. Just show up to your closest RapidRide stop and a bus will arrive shortly to take you on your way. You don't need to rely on a schedule or worry about catching a particular trip."

Also, be aware of SeaTac airport. The top of Des Moines gets a bit near to the airport, so you might have noise issues if you find housing there.

• Options
    She was worried that anywhere in Des Moines might might be too noisy with the airport. What's the situation with Renton these days? She's been looking at places in the north/north-east.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: Ā»
    She was worried that anywhere in Des Moines might might be too noisy with the airport. What's the situation with Renton these days? She's been looking at places in the north/north-east.

With Renton, it shouldn't be too hard to catch a bus to the light rail. Although Renton is also kind of a weird shape, so where in Renton is going to change your options.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: Ā»

With Renton, it shouldn't be too hard to catch a bus to the light rail. Although Renton is also kind of a weird shape, so where in Renton is going to change your options.

I liked Renton, but couldn't stand the hour plus commute from Bothell.

Renton's got highway access, good bus stop terminal, a nice downtown, Ikea, good Asian markets, other stuff

But I'm not from here and everyone at work always talked shit about Renton

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Preach just talks smack about Renton cause he knows I'm from there šŸ˜

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: Ā»
    Preach just talks smack about Renton cause he knows I'm from there šŸ˜

Ha its more that my coworker lives there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're looking for a Seattle suburb that's reasonably convenient to Des Moines your best options are probably Renton, Burien or Federal Way. Renton and Burien offer decent bus service into the city proper, not really sure about Federal Way.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    In my experience from living near an (granted, less busy than Seatac) airport is that unless the planes are landing nearly directly over your house you'll pretty quickly block them out as white noise.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: Ā»
    Yeah, if you're looking for a Seattle suburb that's reasonably convenient to Des Moines your best options are probably Renton, Burien or Federal Way. Renton and Burien offer decent bus service into the city proper, not really sure about Federal Way.

I'd recommend avoiding Federal Way if at all possible.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    With regards to Renton, try to avoid any place where your commute involves 405. It can't really handle the level of traffic it has already, and it's been getting worse. It's still moderately usable in south Renton, but relying on it for your commute isn't going to be fun.

• Options
    i used to live in the renton highlands and work down near ikea; even though a quick look at the map shows that 405 is the most direct route, i'd take side streets every day

• Options
    Unless we heavily invest in more transit infrastructure, that whole area is going to collapse into a vortex of inaccessibility here pretty quickly within the next decade or so.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: Ā»
    Unless we heavily invest in more transit infrastructure, that whole area is going to collapse into a vortex of inaccessibility here pretty quickly within the next decade or so.

Or as Bothell calls it "our new downtown"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: Ā»

They main issue is that its going to have to be public transit solutions, because I-5/405 are both pretty thoroughly restrained as against expansion. And Sammamish would have the same issues if you tried building a new bigger freeway farther east.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So my wife got her job offer, but rather than the Lynnwood location we thought she'd be based in, she'll be in Des Moines. I don't really know the area south of the city. Where are some good places to live that would still make it easy-ish to use public transportation to get into the city? We'll be planning a trip to look at places soon, assuming her negotiation goes well.

So sheā€™ll be commuting to DM, and youā€™ll be working on the south side too? Youā€™re just worried about getting into the city to, like, do stuff? In that case Iā€™d probably say first choice is anywhere near the light rail. Itā€™s the most frequent and reliable transit to downtown and Capitol Hill. Worst case of something runs late enough that you miss the last train, catch a bus or cab home. But the trains run quite late.

You can be pretty much anywhere south of Seattle, because sheā€™ll be running a counter commute to Des Moines. I drive 405 to 5 south out of Renton all the time at like 730, traffic still isnā€™t bad. The lane going to 5 north backs up, but south is almost always fine in the morning. The afternoon always sucks on 405 but there are usually alternate routes. Waze is your friend.

Donā€™t go south of Des Moines, or youā€™ll wind up in the same murder traffic heading to Seattle daily.

Personally I like Renton. Itā€™s got a cute little downtown with a couple perfectly serviceable bars and some restaurants. Shopping is close by. And as long as you look at the routes, getting to downtown isnā€™t that hard by transit from most parts. We usually just drive if itā€™s an evening or weekend though.

Edit: Key is to learn which garages in the city center have evening and weekend rates. $7 to not have to circle a million blocks looking for ā€œfreeā€ street parking downtown is a bargain IMO.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'm remote, so I just need good internet at our place. We did see a couple postings for some nice little houses in Des Moines and Kent, but I'm not sure if they're worth the distance tradeoff.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Kent to Des Moines wouldn't be too bad. Plus you'd be fairly close to Kent Station, and you can catch a bus straight to Downtown. Thats what my wife nad I would do back when we had time to go to Seattle.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm remote, so I just need good internet at our place. We did see a couple postings for some nice little houses in Des Moines and Kent, but I'm not sure if they're worth the distance tradeoff.

I've lived in Kent, Renton and Fairwood and worked in Seatac and Burien and Des Moines. The travel is easy. Bus is about an hour if you have a walk to your bus stop. Driving is 20 minutes from Fairwood to the SeaTac airport.

Kent to Des Moines would be super easy commute and property prices are a bit lower out there.

Trying to get downtown will just be a bus ride from a park and ride place to the light rail to downtown. Probably an hour to do it, depending on if there's light rail issues. I did it to PAX every day with lots of traffic and it took me about an hour and ten minutes including walking to the destination.

The hard commute is back out east or south during the afternoon. That one is the worst.

• Options
    Speaking of internet, Centurylink and Comcast seemed to be it for providers around there. Are there any other options like municipal fiber in any of those areas?

• Options
    Nope, and you may only to be able to get one of those two depending on location

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    For a tech-heavy city, the Seattle area's internet options are straight turrible.

• Options
    For a tech-heavy city, the Seattle area's internet options are straight turrible.

Witness the power of monopolies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Unless you end up in a condo building that has fiber through a smaller provider, you're likely stuck with one of those.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wave internet exists in the area, and is decent, but it's probably not widely available.

• Options
    Speaking of internet, Centurylink and Comcast seemed to be it for providers around there. Are there any other options like municipal fiber in any of those areas?

We've had two successive mayoral administrations that have refused to implement municipal fiber optic. Both have received donations from Comcast and CenturyLink. This is not a coincidence.

• Options
    I've been using primarily Padmapper to find rentals to add to our list. Are there any particular services that are used more often for listings in the area?

• Options
    i've lived in one place that was served by cascadelink and it was fucking incredible. they used to be tiny and uber-regional, essentially serving just a few dozen apartment and condo buildings around central/south seattle but it looks like they've since been acquired by wave

i'm using comcast but only because centurylink screwed me the biggest the most recently; whenever comcast fucks up in a similar fashion i'll probably swap back because hey, it's the only other option.

This discussion has been closed.