As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hmmm, disagree. I definitely see unique flavors in some places. But there is definitely a lot of homogeny out there and its growing.

We were in seatac last night and large parts of it looks just like edmonds.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The giant chain stores opening in Sumner annoyed me but they seem to have caused a bunch of indy places to pop up too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hmmm, disagree. I definitely see unique flavors in some places. But there is definitely a lot of homogeny out there and its growing.

We were in seatac last night and large parts of it looks just like edmonds.

But you can't have an edmonds kind of day in seatac!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Why was the chair sitting past the security scanners?

• Options
    St. Louis has the weird thing where most of the people migrated west of the city and the city itself is a bit of a crime zone.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    St. Louis has the weird thing where most of the people migrated west of the city and the city itself is a bit of a crime zone.

That's not weird that's literally white flight. Same thing happened in a lot of major cities.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

That's not weird that's literally white flight. Same thing happened in a lot of major cities.

They try to act like downtown is a great place to live if your single, but I am not buying it.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Why was the chair sitting past the security scanners?

It's a prime display area that everyone passes by on their way into the store, and who steals an office chair, anyway?

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Wait, what store has security scanners but they aren't right at the entrance/exit? I don't think I've ever noticed them anywhere else.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    A lot of stores have an entryway section between sets of outer and inner doors, and the scanners are always next to the inner doors. I don’t know why.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JI1idmdl.jpg

I MET CONGRESSWOMAN SCHRIER OF THE 8TH DISTRICT

We talked about healthcare and I went over the benefits of TRICARE with numbers prepped. ($30 premium, copays around $20-$50, catastrophic capped at $4k).

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Way better than Dino Rossi.

• Options
    The waiting area was also *extremely* Washingtonian. Reps from three different indigenous tribes and a Costco wholesaler.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Washington Democrats are revisiting the primary election/caucus decision for 2020. If you're from WA, you can give your input on this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The caucus process here has traditionally been awful so maybe a good thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The caucus process here has traditionally been awful so maybe a good thing.

Caucuses are an anti-democratic system that punishes people who do not have the ability to attend, and which violate the principle of the secret ballot.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    *if you're from Washington, and a registered Democrat

which is fucked up, but w/e

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    *if you're from Washington, and a registered Democrat

which is fucked up, but w/e

What? You don't need to be registered to vote in that poll. That barely a thing here anyway since we have the stupid jungle primaries.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The caucuses are also a huge waste of resources since the state is required to send out primary ballots anyway, we should just use them.
    Not to mention those ballots eating up the votes of people who think they were the real thing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    I voted to get rid of the caucus because fuck that confusing dumb ass system

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    My only caucus experience was in 2004 when I showed up to a church in the U District and got yelled at by a bunch of senior citizens for two hours about Howard Dean (I was there to argue for John Edwards :rotate: )

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So like, caucuses seem dumb in almost every way. What's the argument for a caucus, out of curiosity?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    So like, caucuses seem dumb in almost every way. What's the argument for a caucus, out of curiosity?

Greater insider control

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Greater insider control

Pretty much amplifies the voices of those who show up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

some people see value in the idea of a community coming together to discuss how they wish to be governed

I think that's probably the most charitable argument

personally I think that they'd probably be fine if we could also guarantee that everyone had equal opportunity to show up, which we can't and aren't ever likely to

not to mention it kind of is contingent on a healthy existing discourse, which isn't going to happen as long as Fox News exists

• Options

some people see value in the idea of a community coming together to discuss how they wish to be governed

personally I think that they'd probably be fine if we could also guarantee that everyone had equal opportunity to show up, which we can't and aren't ever likely to

not to mention it kind of is contingent on a healthy existing discourse, which isn't going to happen as long as Fox News exists

For me I just don't have the time nor the want to go down to a community center and argue with people for like what 2+ hours? I'd rather just vote in the mail and be done with it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The 2016 caucus was the most miserable experience I have ever had participating within the political system.

• Options

For me I just don't have the time nor the want to go down to a community center and argue with people for like what 2+ hours? I'd rather just vote in the mail and be done with it.

Yeah even assuming everyone had equal opportunity to show up, not everyone has an equal voice there even for something as simple as different personality types, let alone everything else.

Steam profile
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

The primary is not restricted to democrats and Republicans have not been shy about pushing democratic primaries as a way to work for their interests given that the republicans have long shots at winning general elections anyway.

The caucus came into being when the primaries were opened up.

The primary is still probably better

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Basically memories of a nonexistent past. Caucuses "feel" democratic because of how we talk up things like Athenian direct democracy, but as shown above, they're anything but.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

The primary is not restricted to democrats and Republicans have not been shy about pushing democratic primaries as a way to work for their interests given that the republicans have long shots at winning general elections anyway.

Does that actually help the problem though? If anything, given the demographics, I'd almost expect Republicans to be more able to go to caucuses :P

Steam profile
  • Options

Does that actually help the problem though? If anything, given the demographics, I'd almost expect Republicans to be more able to go to caucuses :P

Well they are party specific, but yes that is another part of it that they could be fucked with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

You can exclude candidates and people from caucuses. You cannot exclude a republican for running for the democratic nomination in the democratic primary in Washington State

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Also, and I see the irony of me saying this, but people who vote absentee literally have no ability to participate.

The time for communities to come together and discuss how they wish to be governed is town halls and debates.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Also, and I see the irony of me saying this, but people who vote absentee literally have no ability to participate.

The time for communities to come together and discuss how they wish to be governed is town halls and debates.

All great points....

TAX DODGER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    2016:
    March 26: caucus
    May 24: primary

Reading the FAQ, moving to a primary election would also result in the primary occurring in March, which is good. By May, the primary is all but over.

• Options
    2016:
    March 26: caucus
    May 24: primary

Reading the FAQ, moving to a primary election would also result in the primary occurring in March, which is good. By May, the primary is all but over.

Yeah I think they've already agreed to move the primary to march, but until we rid ourselves of the caucus its a nothing part of the actual primary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    The 2016 caucus was the most miserable experience I have ever had participating within the political system.

I was a delegate to my district caucus (or whichever the second round was) and I actually walked out without voting it was such a clusterfuck.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The caucus I attended in 2008 was fucking messy as hell. It was a good thing I was an unemployed student, otherwise I wouldn't have had the five hours necessary to attend that shit.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

You are lucky if you get out in under four hours.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.