As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I think the problem is that voters in Spokane Valley have figured it out

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It's been really hard to get leasing agents to call me back, and the few who have texted with me go silent once they learn my wife and I are coming from out of state. We're quickly running out of time, and I feel like the only way we're going to guarantee a place is by going with an apartment group, which I wanted to avoid. Anyone have any advice or a recommendation for a good apartment complex in Renton or Kent or the surrounding areas?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    The way I’ve done this sort of thing is to book a three day weekend trip and rent a car while I’m in town. The week leading up to the trip I schedule as many showings as I can get (sequenced in time), and on the last day pick one, go through the paperwork, and fly back. Takes a bunch of time and money however.

Edit: using craigslist and as many apartment rental services as I can, including going through places with a bunch of properties. Do NOT trust automated services; I have wasted my time signing up for a walkthrough and then nobody showed. Talking to humans worked for me.

Orca on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well we aren't a standard state. If anything we'll jump two hours later and stake our claim there. Extra Day light savings time MOTHER FUCKER!

If someone wants to run for governor on exactly this platform, I'll vote for them. Sunrise at noon - eat it, morning people!

That’s cool and all but we set the vote to take place at 7 AM. You didn’t have any input because we scheduled it early this morning.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's been really hard to get leasing agents to call me back, and the few who have texted with me go silent once they learn my wife and I are coming from out of state. We're quickly running out of time, and I feel like the only way we're going to guarantee a place is by going with an apartment group, which I wanted to avoid. Anyone have any advice or a recommendation for a good apartment complex in Renton or Kent or the surrounding areas?

I stayed in Woodcliffe Apartments in Renton and thought they were good.

https://www.mywoodcliffeapartments.com/

We leased if from pictures while living in KC and not seeing them in person until we arrived. Staff was super helpful, also. They changed our 1 bedroom 1 year lease that we signed into a two bedroom 6 month lease without a hassel and the 6 month price was only, like, $10 more per month than a 2 bedroom per year would have been

The only real issue was they said they 'wanted the lease noterized' and the notary we went to had no idea what they wanted cause there isn't a spot for a notary to sign and the lease was like 30 pages, so we ended up making a cover page that just said something like 'this was signed and notarized on whatever date' and he signed that, but it was enough for the apartment complex

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    We got a lease! I got lucky and a guy picked up the phone for once. We got to chatting and he told me he had some appointments scheduled that day but he'd text me in the evening if none of them tried to apply on the spot. The house has pretty much every feature we wanted, plus the owner loves cats so there's no pet additional pet deposit. We're ending up in Kent so my wife has a reasonably short commute on the days she needs to go to the office.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-state-rep-matt-shea-condemns-hit-piece-defends-running-background-checks/

It takes a real asshole to lie about doing background checks to "protect himself" and then call on the governor to be an abortion zealot like himself, but so is Matt Shea.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/washington-state-rep-matt-shea-condemns-hit-piece-defends-running-background-checks/

It takes a real asshole to lie about doing background checks to "protect himself" and then call on the governor to be an abortion zealot like himself, but so is Matt Shea.

It takes a real Matt Shea to be Matt Shea.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

It takes a real Matt Shea to be Matt Shea.

Only Matt Shea could go to Spokane.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So whats up with this family leave thing that Washington passed? I heard my boss bitching about all the money they are taking from his paycheck, but I seem to have missed the initial passing of it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Starting in 2020, Washington will be the fifth state in the nation to offer paid family and medical leave benefits to workers. The program will be funded by premiums paid by both employees and many employers, and will be administered by the Employment Security Department (ESD). This insurance program will allow workers to take necessary time off when they welcome a new child into their family, are struck by a serious illness or injury, or need to take care of an ill or ailing relative. As directed by the Legislature, premium payments begin on Jan. 1, 2019 and benefits can be taken starting Jan. 1, 2020.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Iirc, businesses have had a couple of years to get ready for it so it’s not like this is something new that was sprung on them all of a sudden.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Nah, it's more that he's mad that the money is being withheld from his check. He's the guy with the "Leftist Tears" mug.

Edit: Some parts say "For employees working under employers with more than 50 employees in a 75 mile radius", and others don't. When does that restriction apply?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Brody wrote: »
    Nah, it's more that he's mad that the money is being withheld from his check. He's the guy with the "Leftist Tears" mug.

Tell him to be mad at your employer.

They are certainly allowed to pay the full premium, they just choose not to.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Yeah for some reason my employer didn't mention this when they told us we were eating the full cost of this plan. Because why would your job want you to know they are cheap fucks and instead turn you on the government.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Yeah for some reason my employer didn't mention this when they told us we were eating the full cost of this plan. Because why would your job want you to know they are cheap fucks and instead turn you on the government.

I think they are still on the hook for some percentage of the cost.

• Options
    I can guarantee my job is doing the bare min on that payment. We got a value statement once here to be like "here's what you aren't seeing in your paycheck" and they listed like our lunch and breaks on there as like benefits when they are state mandated.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I can guarantee my job is doing the bare min on that payment. We got a value statement once here to be like "here's what you aren't seeing in your paycheck" and they listed like our lunch and breaks on there as like benefits when they are state mandated.

Think of all they money they're saving in lawsuits by following the law! They should put that on the benefits statement.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Yeah, our company does the same thing (benefit statement), and although it's a little better than yours, its like "really, you're bragging about this?"

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Meaning they wouldn't give you jack shit for breaks, otherwise.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Even a top tier employer with some famously good benefits are making us eat the cost. It's not a burden, so I'm not going to whine too much.

But it's clear to me that if something like Medicare For All were to pass, a significant portion of the costs would switch from my employer paying directly to me paying for health care via taxes.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @Doc Indeed, and its passage would mean that labor unions are in a much stronger position of negotiation vis a vis wages and benefits. "You can't dangle health insurance in our workers' faces in lieu of wage increases anymore. Time to do better, or you'll quickly find yourself without skilled laborers of any sort."

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Quick question -- I'm going to be in Seattle from Sunday to Thursday at a conference (downtown) -- where should I go to eat in the evenings? The days are pretty much full, but I need to eat at the end of the day. (also, if there's any nightlife that I should check out that would be great, too)

What I'm looking for: I like pretty much any sort of food, so I guess I'm looking for things that I can get in Seattle that I couldn't find other places? (for example, there's lots of craft breweries and steakhouses in Calgary so I don't really need to find more of those in Seattle, I'm more looking for unusual things, I guess)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Quick question -- I'm going to be in Seattle from Sunday to Thursday at a conference (downtown) -- where should I go to eat in the evenings? The days are pretty much full, but I need to eat at the end of the day. (also, if there's any nightlife that I should check out that would be great, too)

What I'm looking for: I like pretty much any sort of food, so I guess I'm looking for things that I can get in Seattle that I couldn't find other places? (for example, there's lots of craft breweries and steakhouses in Calgary so I don't really need to find more of those in Seattle, I'm more looking for unusual things, I guess)

Whereabouts Seattle are you going to be staying? The sprawl is pretty extensive and there are choice places in pretty much every neighborhood you might find yourself in.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    downtown, a couple of blocks from the convention center. (edit: but it looks like Seattle has bike share and I like riding around, so I can get to further-off places if it's possible to bike there sensibly)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Everywhere is going to be uphill from where you are.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Everywhere is going to be uphill from where you are.

There's plenty of places downtown, Pioneer Square, in the malls, Pike Place...

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Depending on if you like jazz and/or blues, there's Dimitriou's Jazz Alley at 6th and Lenora (about a block away from the Westin Hotel)...bonus with Dimitriou's is that they've got Charlie Musselwhite on the event calendar from tonight until Sunday. There's also a pretty good (at least, I thought it was pretty good) Moroccan restaurant called Marrakesh (it's a bit of a hike, though, at 2nd and Battery...so about 7 blocks from the 2nd Ave and Pike intersection). If you're hankering for sushi, Japonessa is pretty decent (it's a Latin America influence on sushi).

EDIT - oh! and I hang my head in shame. While it is a chain restaurant, Din Tai Fung is a fun one to give a whirl (it's inside Pacific Place shopping center).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Where are you coming in from?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    downtown, a couple of blocks from the convention center. (edit: but it looks like Seattle has bike share and I like riding around, so I can get to further-off places if it's possible to bike there sensibly)

@djmitchella

Alright so there are loads of places to eat downtown and on the hill. Capitol Hill is up the hill from you and will have a bunch of divey places and a few decent restaurants.

Notables are Adana (Single menu Asian Fusion, way up the end of E Pine) and Skillet(upscale diner east union past madison). If you just want a sandwhich the Honeyhole os a great place not too far up the hill on pike. If you want the full Capital Hill experience get smashed and eat some dicks on Broadway. Sun Liquor has good cocktails. Stumbling Monk has a wide selection of beers in a nice atmosphere.

Downtown there are plenty of options all over the place. Outside of the Market there is Lecosho(just off first, general bar stuffs but not pubby), Heartwood Provisions(on first, their brussel sprouts are to murder for), andaluca (never been but supposed to be great, Mediterranean ), Long Provincial Vietnamese(which i havent been to in a long time so it may have slipped but it wasnt super special last time i was there), and Lola (their brunch is the specialty, good Bloody Marys). The Brooklyn has a good happy hour for oysters. As does Eliots(quality is a bit low here but the price is right). But you have to get there early. Japonessa you should stat away from(i have been there twice and was not impressed either time). Wild Ginger is also supposed to be quite good but i have not been so no personal reference there

In the Market (also downtown but there is a lot so i separated them) there is Maximilien (French fancy, expensive if not happy hour...if happy hour you can get $5 absinthe and escargot), cafe campange (french bistro), the pink door(italian), the alibi room (kinda hidden; small plates), el boracho (slightly overpriced mexican but good quality), Steelhead Diner (fish focused), Sushi Kashiba ($$$$$, the place of Shiro, Jiro’s first(?) protege)

If you walk down first ave to the north you will find tonnes of spots. The better of which is probably Local 360. Shiro’s Sushi is also here which used to be the place of the afore mentioned Shiro). I havent been to Sarajevo but have wanted to so no clue if its good. El Gaucho has the best happy hour in town and also the best steaks in town and also the best soup in town(truffle soup) but if you arent there at happy hour its hella expensive.

If you head south you can find plenty of great spots in the international district but i dont get down there enough to say whats good.

Best cocktail places are zig zag (below the market) and bathtub gin (unmarked door in an alley between first and second)

Local donuts are top pot which is decent and everwhere. Local coffee is probably ladro or vita (which have enough locations to be easy enough to find). But there are plenty of places that are good (nothing corporate, not storyville). Imo the best simple is the coffee shop at the moore theater. Its also worth going to the new main starbucks because, while their mass produced coffee for regular shops is not good there is a lot of really really good coffee at that flagship location

My info is very potentially out of date as it would be a full time profession to eat out in downtown seattle while maintaining a reference.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Kedai Makan in Capitol Hill

If you're faced with a wait list, no problem, just go get drinks around the corner at a bar on Olive, per your taste. I like Montana Bar.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    If you dig barbecue, you could do worse than snagging lunch from Pike's Pit, right across from the famous fish joint over at Pike Place Market. It's a spin-off of local institution Pecos Pit and they've got delicious sauces with a good kick.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seattle adds and loses new places every month so it's really vital to use Yelp. There are very very many great options. Price and wait time are the only real limitations.

• Options
    Ivars on the waterfront

It’s a cliche for a reason

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If youre near the convention center you can take the monorail to Seattle Center and there's a food court next to the station that has some unique fast food joints

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I know this is probably not "Washington Politics" related, but how in the samhell did "T-Mobile" afford the rights to shit on Safeco?

I thought Seattle was a CenturyLink city?

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    I know this is probably not "Washington Politics" related, but how in the samhell did "T-Mobile" afford the rights to shit on Safeco?

I thought Seattle was a CenturyLink city?

Because no one really cares about the mariners they probably had to give the rights away. Also if I recall right Tmobile is like based out of seattle inexplicably.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Probably didn’t want to buy naming rights to a second stadium right across the street

Plus everyone I know still calls it Safeco Field

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    T-Mobile's HQ is in Factoria near the intersection of I-90 and 405. If you drive by at night it'll often be illuminated in magenta.

• Options
    I don't normally eat in Seattle, but for my best friends bachelor party we had dinner at The Grill from Impanema, and it was amazing!

This discussion has been closed.