Options

Congressional Investigations Into Trump White House

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Either this means McConnell thinks there's nothing to this and they can spin it away, or he's getting the GOP ready to throw Trump under the bus.

Jake Sherman NBC/MSNBC Contributor from Politico: MCCONNELL has hotlined the resolution calling for the release of the whistleblower report. Schumer asking for unanimous consent for its passsage.

The guy has Twitter. Trump just tried to throw him under the Gun Control Express to save his hide.

McConnell hasn't eliminated 5,000 trump scandals to give in on the 5,001st. McConnell will fight tooth and nail until 2024 and not one second less

unless/until the wind changes bad enough he tries to save himself and GOP senate control then trump would get thrown to the wolves and into the memory hole faster than you can say turtle.

Trump is rich and white and an egomaniac, I can't really see him actually getting memory holed deep enough to not be able to yell on twitter about it. Which for reference might be a good thing, if he doesn't stay memory holed like a good boy it keeps that wedge in nice and deep in the GOP base until he finally dies.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Who wants to make an impeachment thread?

I can make a placeholder skeleton thread and bolster the OP after work, unless someone already has a beefy draft setup and wants to break the glass.

Do it.

If it's not called "The Impeachment of Donald Trump by the Coward Nancy Pelosi" then what are we even doing here?

Crazy how fast this is all happening.

Pulling this quote from the investigations thread.
    I'd been 100ish posts behind in that thread for basically ever. After the Ukraine stuff blew up a few days ago it was 300, so I was trying to get caught up. This morning I was still behind due to volume of posts.
    This afternoon I was still well behind and let me tell you it was surreal going from like, 3 solid pages of Pelosi saying no impeachment and commentary on it, to seeing an announcement in my news feed of her saying yes impeachment.
    It's like when you take a too long nap in the afternoon and can't properly wake up and lose all sense of time for half an hour.

I bought 12 pack of Sam Adams, the most patriotic of beers, to celebrate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    psst. Tofy. You're still in the investigations thread.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I can make a placeholder skeleton thread and bolster the OP after work, unless someone already has a beefy draft setup and wants to break the glass.

Do it.

If it's not called "The Impeachment of Donald Trump by the Coward Nancy Pelosi" then what are we even doing here?

I'd been 100ish posts behind in that thread for basically ever. After the Ukraine stuff blew up a few days ago it was 300, so I was trying to get caught up. This morning I was still behind due to volume of posts.
    This afternoon I was still well behind and let me tell you it was surreal going from like, 3 solid pages of Pelosi saying no impeachment and commentary on it, to seeing an announcement in my news feed of her saying yes impeachment.
    It's like when you take a too long nap in the afternoon and can't properly wake up and lose all sense of time for half an hour.

The CEO of the Boston Brewing Company (makers of Sam Adams) is a Trump supporter.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Either this means McConnell thinks there's nothing to this and they can spin it away, or he's getting the GOP ready to throw Trump under the bus.

Jake Sherman NBC/MSNBC Contributor from Politico: MCCONNELL has hotlined the resolution calling for the release of the whistleblower report. Schumer asking for unanimous consent for its passsage.

The guy has Twitter. Trump just tried to throw him under the Gun Control Express to save his hide.

McConnell hasn't eliminated 5,000 trump scandals to give in on the 5,001st. McConnell will fight tooth and nail until 2024 and not one second less

About that...

The Senate has *unanimously* agreed to Schumer's resolution calling for the whistleblower complaint to be turned over the intelligence committees immediately.

Steven Dennis is a reporter for Bloomberg

would these be the same intelligence committees that attempted to bury it?

Senate Intelligence has actually been relatively professional.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    psst. Tofy. You're still in the investigations thread.

Goddamnit!

Do it.

The CEO of the Boston Brewing Company (makers of Sam Adams) is a Trump supporter.

Goddamnit!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Covers Congress for Fox News

This is actually related to the thread because it is obvious Trump is getting rattled. Pelosi should agree, get Trump to concede on something big to anger the gun obsessives, then betray the agreement.

I started cackling like a madman at this. Holy shit. Funniest thing I've seen all year.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

unless/until the wind changes bad enough he tries to save himself and GOP senate control then trump would get thrown to the wolves and into the memory hole faster than you can say turtle.

Trump is rich and white and an egomaniac, I can't really see him actually getting memory holed deep enough to not be able to yell on twitter about it. Which for reference might be a good thing, if he doesn't stay memory holed like a good boy it keeps that wedge in nice and deep in the GOP base until he finally dies.

I wouldn't count on that. Once Trump is out of office, specifically it's through impeachment, or in 2020, I can absolutely see him getting banned on Twitter.

I think the one thing keeping him active, despite his repeated violations of ToU, is his position. Without that, I feel it's likely (though not guaranteed, Jack is a cock) that he will no longer be granted that protection, and especially with his grievance history, saying something that will see him punted.

So, I can absolutely see a post-presidency Trump being relatively silent, outside of conservative media. And I wouldn't bet the house he doesn't become persona non grata there too. There'll still be some noises, like there was for Nixon, but for the most part, I can see him no longer being a daily concern in a very short time.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oops wrong thread

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I wouldn't count on that. Once Trump is out of office, specifically it's through impeachment, or in 2020, I can absolutely see him getting banned on Twitter.

I think the one thing keeping him active, despite his repeated violations of ToU, is his position. Without that, I feel it's likely (though not guaranteed, Jack is a cock) that he will no longer be granted that protection, and especially with his grievance history, saying something that will see him punted.

So, I can absolutely see a post-presidency Trump being relatively silent, outside of conservative media. And I wouldn't bet the house he doesn't become persona non grata there too. There'll still be some noises, like there was for Nixon, but for the most part, I can see him no longer being a daily concern in a very short time.

Twitter will never ban him because it is proped up by inflammatory behavior to incite responses and maintain user engagement.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I predict this is exactly why the GOP would pursue conviction. Prison, and simultaneously turning the FOX News hate machine against Trump, is the only thing that will keep Trump in the Memory Hole.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Twitter will never ban him because it is proped up by inflammatory behavior to incite responses and maintain user engagement.

I'll respectfully disagree. I don't think it's guaranteed, but I can absolutely see Trump becoming completely unhinged, and actively calling for protests, even violence. General, or targetted.

At that point, I can't see even Twitter trying to argue that he's still entitled to their platform. I think it'd call more attention down on them from regulatory/legislative bodies, than any net benefit to keeping him on.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Tweet from the Republican Senate cloakroom. No R senators objected to it then.

So this is a "Sense of the Senate" thing, which IIRC is really just the Senate having an official opinion on the matter and not in any way legally binding to anybody.

Still good but maybe not what folks expect.

It's legally binding in the sense that it's the law that the DNI had to hand it over in the first place.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/unpacking-intelligence-community-whistleblower-complaint
    The statute requires that an intelligence community employee who wishes to make such a report first submit it to the ICIG, who must determine within 14 days whether it “appears credible.” The ICIG must then provide the DNI a copy of the complaint and his determination about its credibility.

According to the statute, within seven days of receiving such a transmittal from the ICIG, the DNI “shall ... forward such transmittal to the congressional intelligence committees, together with any comments the [DNI] considers appropriate.” If the ICIG does not find the complaint credible, or does not transmit it accurately to the DNI, the employee may contact the congressional intelligence committees directly after notifying the ICIG of his or her intention to do so and obtaining direction from the DNI—through the ICIG—for how to contact the committees securely. The statute also allows an employee who has submitted a complaint to the ICIG to notify the congressional intelligence committees that he or she has done so and on what date.

What they passed isn't really actually much of anything except basically going "Uh, follow the law already."

Which is the bonkers place that we're at; that the Senate has to explicitly state that its position is that Trump's administration need to obey the law for once.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I can see Twitter banning him sometime after a bunch of people get hurt/killed, but probably not before.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    So basically, what happened was the Senate officially said that Trump has to follow the law he was already ignoring?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I imagine the following for Nancy after finding out that no, Trump just won't stop impeaching himself.

https://youtu.be/oabcM9SOF-E

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So basically, what happened was the Senate officially said that Trump has to follow the law he was already ignoring?

"Has to" is a bit strong.

They unanimously agreed to say that he should follow the law.
    Adopted by Unanimous Consent: S.Res.325 - Transmission of Whistleblower Complaint:
    Expressing the sense of the Senate that the whistleblower complaint received on 8/12/19, by the IG of the Intelligence Community should be transmitted immediately to Intelligence Committee

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Has to is proper. The reason that the complaint was not transmitted was because it was deemed by the DNI to not be required by the law because it did not qualify. . So if intelligence is saying “you should send it” they are making the determination for the DNI that it meets definition to transmit and he must follow the law

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh that’s even better!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Sorry to resurrect this thread while there’s a whooooole lot of stuff going on in the impeachment thread, but this is another story that is being lost in the fray for now, that involved another congressional investigation into Trump: specifically the House Ways and Means committee’s investigation that has been demanding Trump’s tax returns.

According to The Huffington Post there isn’t one whistleblower. There’s two.

And the second whistleblower went straight to the House Ways and Means Committee to allege that Trump has been using his position as president to interfere in the IRS audit of his taxes.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sorry to resurrect this thread while there’s a whooooole lot of stuff going on in the impeachment thread, but this is another story that is being lost in the fray for now, that involved another congressional investigation into Trump: specifically the House Ways and Means committee’s investigation that has been demanding Trump’s tax returns.

And the second whistleblower went straight to the House Ways and Means Committee to allege that Trump has been using his position as president to interfere in the IRS audit of his taxes.

I wonder if the second WB didn't need to do the other crap that got it blocked because it's not an intelligence concern?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I mean, of course he is. Of course he is! Why wouldn't he!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

I wonder if the second WB didn't need to do the other crap that got it blocked because it's not an intelligence concern?

It seems that way. Instead the main legal battle has been around getting access to the tax returns themselves, which of course Trump and his team have been blocking at every turn.

It should be noted that the whistleblower story has been around since the end of August, it’s just been escaping the notice of the public to a large extent. The members of the House investigating the matter haven’t been making a big deal of it, just quietly getting on with it in the background while Trump lurched from one scandal to another.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wow so that's a huge hairy deal

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Brody wrote: »

It seems that way. Instead the main legal battle has been around getting access to the tax returns themselves, which of course Trump and his team have been blocking at every turn.

It should be noted that the whistleblower story has been around since the end of August, it’s just been escaping the notice of the public to a large extent. The members of the House investigating the matter haven’t been making a big deal of it, just quietly getting on with it in the background while Trump lurched from one scandal to another.

Oh! Ok this makes more sense now. The justification offered in Trump v Ways and Means was that they requested his taxes because they are looking into malfeasance with the IRS auditing him. I thought that was entirely unprompted rationale and it seemed like an unnecessary stretch.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So what happens to the NRA now?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So what happens to the NRA now?

my guess would be 'nothing'

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Ah, so business as usual then.

Carry on.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    They're busy destroying themselves all on their own right now

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    It's kind of wild to me that the NRA, an organization whose members defend its necessity with allusions to the 80s movie Red Dawn has been working with the Russian government

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oops wrong NRA story.

Nice organization

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yes yes I know I keep bringing attention back to all the other investigations when we have juicy impeachment news we can barely keep up with, but everyone say hello to whistleblower #3!

The New York Times is reporting that some time back the son of a (now deceased) prominent Deutsche Bank executive came across his dad’s confidential files and decided there was a lot of stuff in there the FBI and the House Intelligence Committee should take a look at.

And since 2019 hasn’t hit peak mad libs yet, the guy was introduced to Adam Schiff by Moby at a party the three attended.

David is the NY Times’ financial editor.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Yes yes I know I keep bringing attention back to all the other investigations when we have juicy impeachment news we can barely keep up with, but everyone say hello to whistleblower #3!

The New York Times is reporting that some time back the son of a (now deceased) prominent Deutsche Bank executive came across his dad’s confidential files and decided there was a lot of stuff in there the FBI and the House Intelligence Committee should take a look at.

And since 2019 hasn’t hit peak mad libs yet, the guy was introduced to Adam Schiff by Moby at a party the three attended.

No, I'm sorry, this is too stupid.

• Options
    2019 has truly jumped the shark

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No, I'm sorry, this is too stupid.

I mean, this is how we found out about the GOP gerrymandering playbook, too. The architect died and then their daughter turned their files over to investigators.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking jumped up Christ eating bad mushrooms

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Wasn’t Moby all like “I know shit about about Trump!!” years ago and everyone was like “Shut up, Moby.”

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    august wrote: »
    Wasn’t Moby all like “I know shit about about Trump!!” years ago and everyone was like “Shut up, Moby.”

I guess extreme ways are back again.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

I have some recollection of this, but it feels like 2012