As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Mueller Report: Trump not NOT a criminal

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Jackson then cited the key parts of Manafort's defense pleading before sentencing, specifically when his defense team wrote, "Mr. Manafort spent his life advancing American ideals and principles."

"There aren't really any exhibits or letters that go along with that," she said,

Holy shit, all the Alocane in the world couldn’t soothe the burn

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    A nontrivial number of the quotes coming out seem aimed at Ellis as much as Manafort

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jesus he is getting ripped to shreds indeed. The judge pointed out that Manafort's "I accept responsibility" now that it's sentencing time is a load of shit because of how he and his defense have argued this case.
    Jackson: "The defendant's insistence that none of this should be happening to him… that the prosecution is misguided and excessive and invalid ... is just one more thing that is inconsistent with a genuine acceptance of responsibilty."

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    This was from a half-hour ago but Manafort broke character by accident.
    Manafort has been seated for the hearing in a wheelchair, but he stood up when Jackson came back

This doesn't actually mean much. There's a wide band between "A wheelchair is the best option" and "can't ever stand". Given what we know of his claimed medical issues this is entirely reasonable.

(It's also reasonable he's faking, because Manafort, but this isn't a reason why)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Jesus he is getting ripped to shreds indeed. The judge pointed out that Manafort's "I accept responsibility" now that it's sentencing time is a load of shit because of how he and his defense have argued this case.
    Jackson: "The defendant's insistence that none of this should be happening to him… that the prosecution is misguided and excessive and invalid ... is just one more thing that is inconsistent with a genuine acceptance of responsibilty."

I honestly am in disbelief that part of their argument is “I wouldn’t have been caught if it weren’t for that meddling special counsel”

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Manafort has been seated for the hearing in a wheelchair, but he stood up when Jackson came back

This doesn't actually mean much. There's a wide band between "A wheelchair is the best option" and "can't ever stand". Given what we know of his claimed medical issues this is entirely reasonable.

(It's also reasonable he's faking, because Manafort, but this isn't a reason why)
    He and his lawyers started faking the wheelchair thing like day 2 of all the court business for this. In fact, to go along with that:
    The judge says Manafort overstated the severity of his pretrial confinement: "At bottom, the defendant was not in the SHU." She notes he had a window, access to radio/newspapers/TV, and was released for a little time each day. He was in protective custody for his safety, she said
    Yes, people in wheelchairs can often stand up and walk around. But Manafort and his lawyers have been trying to sell something to gain leniency and the judge isn't fucking buying it. Correctly isn't buying it.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2019

Yeah but I still want to see some "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!" memes out in the wild.

A duck! on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, you don't need to post every tweet from this account with nothing more than uh oh or something.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

It is possible he is faking it but also could be like my friend where he can't stand for any real length of time so tends to use the wheel chair to get around and then stand/walk for areas a wheel chair can't easily transverse. Still this is pretty much standard playbook of trying to look weak and vulnerable to snowball a judge so hard to say.

• Options
    He is almost certainly faking, and if for some reason he isn’t, the life he has led does not lend itself to giving him the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Six years and a month total time. 30 months concurrent with previous sentence.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Guys, you don't need to post every tweet from this account with nothing more than uh oh or something.

I'll ratchet it back, that was just a real bad sign for Manafort as it strongly implied to me that we were gonna see at least part of the sentence be consecutive.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I guess crime still pays.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, almost 8 years total between the two?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Just like the Cohen trial it seems like Manafort is getting a lesson in the difference between using "it's a witch hunt!" arguments in public/media opinion, and how much the judge gives a shit about that in the court.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

This was a perfectly justified sentence, and well within the guidelines. If she had taken his other sentence into account, that would have been easily appealable.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

7.5 years by my math.

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I'd make that trade
    a lifetime of luxury for 8 years at the end of guaranteed safety, attention, and food

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    OK please let's not have another ten pages of people tearing their garments in rage or saying nothing matters or pointing out that someone else got far more for doing far less.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What were the sentencing guidelines for the counts?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Count 1 today was 60 months, but half of it has to run concurrent with last week's sentencing. So it only adds 30 months.
    Count 2 adds 13 months consecutively. Here's why it was low:
    Jackson says the witness tampering count warrants a consecutive sentence, but the full five-year maximum is too much

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So, its 90 months total, including the sentence from last week and including time already served? Do I have that right?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Less than 8 years.

For everything.

• Options
    So I thought the EDVA sentence was 4 years? Is it only partially concurrent?

Popehat just stated a total time of 7.5 years before parole/good conduct reductions.

• Options
    Once you hit 70 your quality of life begins to rapidly decline. Almost 8 years in prison isn’t as much as we hoped for, but he’ll be spending some of his last remaining healthy years there. It’s not nothing.

Ellis’ sentence was inexcusable, but Jackson’s is fine.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Nevermind the months that are already counted.

Not really pleased with this. Especially since the man is getting basically VIP treatment in prison.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So, its 90 months total, including the sentence from last week and including time already served? Do I have that right?
    Consecutive adds time flatly on its own, but concurrent time means you can serve for multiple counts at once.

If you get two counts against you for 12 months that are concurrent, you're only serving 12 months, not 24.

• Options
    Once you hit 70 your quality of life begins to rapidly decline. Almost 8 years in prison isn’t as much as we hoped for, but he’ll be spending some of his last remaining healthy years there. It’s not nothing.

Ellis’ sentence was inexcusable, but Jackson’s is fine.

I'd say a combined sentence for the crimes he's guilty of being 11 years less than the minimum sentencing guideline for one of this two trials is very close to nothing.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Viskod wrote: »
    Less than 8 years.

For everything.

None of this touched on any Russian collusion at all. If he had a role in that and it can be proven he could still be charged with that. This was for his shenanigans as an unregistered foreign agent of Ukraine and stuff he did with banks trying to hide the money he was paid for that work.

Edit: Oh, and the witness tampering trying to hide the above.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    bad math.. ignore

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Manafort’s crimes still would have paid if he spent the rest of his life in prison. He has been wealthy and influential for the lion’s share of his life. If you were looking for a sentence that would invalidate his life of crime you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Manafort has 37 months from Judge Ellis.

And 73 months from Judge Jackson, but 30 don't count.

73+37-30=90

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

This judge seemed to give a pretty reasonable amount. Not the max but a lot of it is being run consecutively so his full jail time looks to be around 7 years followed by about the same on probation. At his age that seems more along the lines of where it should and still likely winds up as a life sentence for him.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Consecutive adds time flatly on its own, but concurrent time means you can serve for multiple counts at once.

If you get two counts against you for 12 months that are concurrent, you're only serving 12 months, not 24.

He got 47 months from Ellis last week, 60+13 from Jackson just now, 30 of which don't count.

47+60+13-30=90

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What was the hypothetical max?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    What was the hypothetical max?

10 years consecutively iirc

• Options
    I mean she stated reason enough why 30 months had to be knocked out due to it being concurrent. I'm just kind of upset she went light on the witness tampering.

Still. If his lawyers are going to appeal the 30 month overlap, they have to do it two times because it's two different counts against him. So if last week's sentencing on that count got overturned, he'd still have the full 60 months from today.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Less than 8 years.

For everything.

and probation for around the same period after he gets out. Given his proven inability to stop committing crimes there is a non trivial chance of him violating probation nearly instantly.

• Options
    I mean she stated reason enough why 30 months had to be knocked out due to it being concurrent. I'm just kind of upset she went light on the witness tampering.

Still. If his lawyers are going to appeal the 30 month overlap, they have to do it two times because it's two different counts against him. So if last week's sentencing on that count got overturned, he'd still have the full 60 months from today.

I think his witness tampering should have been taken more seriously. Like your criminal activity before you're caught is one thing, but he was caught. He had an opportunity to cooperate, but instead chose to continue breaking the law on multiple occasions. Then made a plea deal, and had another opportunity to cooperate or show remorse and sincerity and still he continued to break the law by trying to deceive investigators.

That shows real and serious criminal intent even after you've been convicted of other crimes. That deserves more than 1 year.

This discussion has been closed.