As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: South Carolina Wins The Best Women's Tournamnet

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Don't have to beat the zone if you just outrun the damn thing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Heels are playing guys that haven't played in months. After scoring 26 in the first 12 minutes, we've only scored 8 points since then. I think Roy is happy to milk this lead a bit to get his bench back up to speed though

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    They need White in the game, and he's coming back.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    Nervous about this Wofford game without Washington. We should still be fine, we have plenty of guys who can have big games, but still....nervous.

I quoted the wrong post here but I’m seeing that PJ is most likely shut down for good. All this rest can’t hurt, but apparently he and his doctor are nervous enough about it to keep him out.

At the very least, if PJ doesn’t play we have an excellent excuse for the inevitable loss.

Also- this is the Tennessee I expected to see

From what I can find, that's speculation from one dude. I mean, he could be right, which would really suck, but I'll hold off on panicking for now until I hear something from the team.

And I don't want an excuse for a loss, I want to win. :P This is my favorite Kentucky team since the 2012 champion team, I at least want to see these guys in the Final Four.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Washington band playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, because of course they do

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Washington band playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, because of course they do

Very, very badly.

• Options
    And now that they brought the elbow to Brooks' face again, I have to say that was a blown call

All season long, if you connect an elbow to a player's head it's an automatic F1, which I believe is the right way to read the rule. Just call the F1 and move on, don't try to read into intention, just rule on the actual result.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    And now that they brought the elbow to Brooks' face again, I have to say that was a blown call

All season long, if you connect an elbow to a player's head it's an automatic F1, which I believe is the right way to read the rule. Just call the F1 and move on, don't try to read into intention, just rule on the actual result.

The bigger argument there was F1 vs. F2, given how much damage it did. Stitches + two lost teeth?

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    Nervous about this Wofford game without Washington. We should still be fine, we have plenty of guys who can have big games, but still....nervous.

I quoted the wrong post here but I’m seeing that PJ is most likely shut down for good. All this rest can’t hurt, but apparently he and his doctor are nervous enough about it to keep him out.

At the very least, if PJ doesn’t play we have an excellent excuse for the inevitable loss.

Also- this is the Tennessee I expected to see

From what I can find, that's speculation from one dude. I mean, he could be right, which would really suck, but I'll hold off on panicking for now until I hear something from the team.

And I don't want an excuse for a loss, I want to win. :P This is my favorite Kentucky team since the 2012 champion team, I at least want to see these guys in the Final Four.

I’m with you of course, but I also think it’s a better look for Calipari if he loses a game in this tournament without PJ than if he pushes the kid to play and something awful happens. They’re capable of beating anybody sans PJ with the exception of Duke, it’ll just be very very difficult to get there without him. I obviously don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes or anything other than what the rumor mill is spitting out, but I’ve really bought into this player-first philosophy and I want it to be a real thing.

Re: The ankle- I thought I got my info from KSR’s Matt Jones, or somebody in that orbit. Might be wrong though.

Herro has to score. His defense was fantastic yesterday, but I feel like he can manage both.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Oh no. 2012 flashbacks

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Thybulle is playing great in that zone. Mike Hopkins really has something going there

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Heels are playing guys that haven't played in months. After scoring 26 in the first 12 minutes, we've only scored 8 points since then. I think Roy is happy to milk this lead a bit to get his bench back up to speed though

Only 7 guys playing for UNC in the first 15 minutes of the second half. No Woods, Black, or Manley

Pretty sure we'll be seeing those guys at the 2 minute mark the way this is going

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Top seeds have been mostly dominant.

• Options
    I'm hoping the rest of today's slate (especially this Duke/UCF game) are more exciting

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    7'6" is SO BIG

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If UCF is going to win, this is how they do it. I dunno if 40 minutes of this is feasible.

And holy shit Tacko is tall

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Not a smart play to get your second foul on, Tacko.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Not a smart play to get your second foul on, Tacko.

To be fair, the block was of his hand and not the ball so much. He should have been missing two free throws.

• Options
    I hope Buffalo comes back and wins this, because Michigan vs. Texas Tech will be lucky to get in the 50s.

• Options
    UCF is like +11 with Tacko on the floor, aren't they?

• Options
    I was just coming here to say that. If Duke wants to win, they have to keep Goldwire in, and then send guys at Tacko until he fouls out

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    +20ish now.

• Options
    The keys to beating this Duke team are simple, if not easy.
    1) Don't guard Tre Jones and Zion Williamson on the perimeter. Just don't. Pack the lane so neither of them can drive, and dare them to hit jumpshots.
    2) Keep Reddish and Barrett under 40 points combined. Run Reddish off the line, force either of them into double teams, draw charges. They're both great talents, but they still play like freshmen.
    3) Run your offense directly at Zion. Zion is a gravity well on defense, the ball just seems to come to him - take that strength and make it his weakness. Get Zion in foul trouble because Zion is this Duke team's motor. Without him they are just not that potent. Sure he's gonna make scoring inside hard, but the point is to open up the game when he's not in there. You've got to make Zion sit. This is made easier because RJ Barrett is a lackluster defender who will let his man go if he thinks Zion will take care of it.

Johnny Dawkins (and Aubrey Dawkins) is making me look pretty smart right now. Keep it up, Knights!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ball didn't touch, but they can't overrule the call on the floor imo

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    That should have fouled out Zion.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck duuuuuuuuuuke

• Options
    Fuck Liberty while we're at it. Good job VT.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    All right, Falwell University goes down!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    So the left side of the bracket is full chalk now. We'll have a double digit seed in the Sweet Sixteen no matter what due to Oregon/UC Irvine. Auburn is a 5 instead of a 4, but pretty close to chalk. Last holdouts are Virginia and Houston.

Man I'd be so stoked if Ohio State beat Houston...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Not surprised it's chalky. It's also becoming apparent the SEC/Big 10/ACC were a ways above everybody else this year.

• Options
    I think I'm rooting for Houston here. Kelvin Sampson used to be a bad guy in my eyes cause of his recruiting violations, but these days it's clear the NCAA is the real villain when it comes to college sports.

Plus I find myself admiring the fact that Sampson refused to roll over and die. He just keeps coming back and coaching teams up. You go Kelvin!

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I'm rooting for Ohio State because I'd rather play them than Houston. Especially if Washington doesn't play.

I feel a little dirty though, I'm generally relatively anti-OSU.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    God dammit, we're the late game on Thursday. Oh well, wasn't really planning on teaching anything Friday anyway (spring break next week).

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The keys to beating this Duke team are simple, if not easy.
    1) Don't guard Tre Jones and Zion Williamson on the perimeter. Just don't. Pack the lane so neither of them can drive, and dare them to hit jumpshots.
    2) Keep Reddish and Barrett under 40 points combined. Run Reddish off the line, force either of them into double teams, draw charges. They're both great talents, but they still play like freshmen.
    3) Run your offense directly at Zion. Zion is a gravity well on defense, the ball just seems to come to him - take that strength and make it his weakness. Get Zion in foul trouble because Zion is this Duke team's motor. Without him they are just not that potent. Sure he's gonna make scoring inside hard, but the point is to open up the game when he's not in there. You've got to make Zion sit. This is made easier because RJ Barrett is a lackluster defender who will let his man go if he thinks Zion will take care of it.

Johnny Dawkins (and Aubrey Dawkins) is making me look pretty smart right now. Keep it up, Knights!

Yeah I honestly don't know why this hasn't been screamed from the rooftops whenever people think we're this unstoppable juggernaut this year. The shooting is a critical weakness and unless this team makes like the 2015 squad that made a dramatic improvement late in the season to cover their weakness (defense, in 2015), we're not cutting down the nets. Even Barrett and Reddish are iffy so leaving them open isn't necessarily a death knell. We might be able to power thru 2-3 more games with some luck but I just don't think we get thru 4. One of these games they'll pack the paint, take care of the ball and we'll gonna pop off for 15% from 3 point range and it'll kill us unless we hold them to 40 points.

But Dawkins was on fire and we survived so that's a great feeling. Survive and advance.

• Options
    Naturally the year I don't heavily rely on Kenpom has the top 14 all survive to the second weekend. LSU at 18 and Oregon at 29 are the other two.

• Options
    Bruce Pearl is promising Auburn will run with UNC

I am cackling with glee

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Bruce Pearl is promising Auburn will run with UNC

I am cackling with glee

That game and Michigan/Texas Tech might as well not be the same sport.

• Options
    Not sure why they haven't announced who's calling which regions yet. I am imagine Duke/VT and MSU/LSU will be Nantz, Raftery, and Hill.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Not sure why they haven't announced who's calling which regions yet. I am imagine Duke/VT and MSU/LSU will be Nantz, Raftery, and Hill.

They already did announce that.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-03-24/ncaa-tournament-game-times-and-commentator-teams-regional

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    My Google skills failed me then. Dammit.

Also god dammit, another fucking week of Reggie Miller and Dan Bonner?