As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Robot Wars] SRW 30 Out Now! Shout Out Your Attacks! EXPANSION PACK Announced!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Not gonna lie...this Super Robot Wars is totally dropping some social commentary in the middle of all my giant robot fighting and I wasn't expecting that.

Mecha as a genre has always been heavy on the commentary though!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Not gonna lie...this Super Robot Wars is totally dropping some social commentary in the middle of all my giant robot fighting and I wasn't expecting that.

I thought it was just about cool robots fighting other cool robots.

Thereby inevitably perpetuating the cycle of violence the protagonists seek to escape.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Don't feel bad, it's you and a lot of people - there's even a popular meme about it!

211.png

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Never said it wasn't.

That said Super Robot Wars is usually an excuse just to have all your favorite Mecha shows coexist in one giant fanfiction-esque wank-off.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I finished off SRW T last night. Enjoyed most of the game (I always seem to have a lag in the late 40s when missions start taking a crazy long time).

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...towards the end I think every mission was taking me like 1-2 hours.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Don't feel bad, it's you and a lot of people - there's even a popular meme about it!

211.png

Bandai is also to blame for taking the franchise from Sunrise and pivoting it into a glorified toy commercial. This is most represented in the tone of the exceedingly depressing Victory Gundam which in part represented Tomino's frustration with the direction the franchise was going. Which incidentally is a series I think most represents the "war is bad" theme of Gundam more than any other Gundam series.

..well, when it's not doing the weird(er) depression-inspired shit like the ghost motorcycle scene or floating bikini women trying to shoot Uso's Gundam in the dick with a bazooka.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

They go a hell of a lot faster if you turn off all the attack animations, but why would someone do that?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

They go a hell of a lot faster if you turn off all the attack animations, but why would someone do that?

Because missions taking 1-2 hours is just too long.

So I turn attack animations off on the Enemy Turn.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    No matter how cool an attack is, it starts getting old around the 30th time, and Banpresto thankfully realized it.

Unless of course it's Sanger Zonvolt destroying an entire solar system to take out one robot.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    No matter how cool an attack is, it starts getting old around the 30th time, and Banpresto thankfully realized it.

Unless of course it's Sanger Zonvolt destroying an entire solar system to take out one robot.

I *never* get tired of Ryoma yelling "GETTAAAAAAAAA...... BEAAAAAAAAMU!"

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yeah...I usually turn animations on and off liberally towards the end. Hell, you can toggle it just by pressing triangle in this one.

Also...I already beat my first playthrough and started a second one with the female protagionist.
    It is amusing to me that everyone in VTX is basically bisexual lol.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I actually don't turn the animations off, I just hit the O button when the animation starts so it skips it. I find that's actually faster than turning the animations off. Then I just check unit health/energy the next time the unit comes up.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Well...sometimes I still want the damage report so I can keep track of stuff without having to look at it directly.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I'd rather they just made the animations snappier. Saying you can skip it isn't much of a balm when basic attacks start taking 30 seconds each.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    That's the other big factor that made me put the series down for a while. The attacks started getting slower and flashier. With animations off I just ran out of patience when the actual game part got far less engaging as a result. L was the last game I feel had the right balance of cool and fast and I need to get back to it someday.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    l do appreciate that they try to make attacks as true to their source material as possible but I think it'd be cool if along with the skip option you got an abridged option which would give you a quicker version for some of the longer more cinematic ones.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah...I usually turn animations on and off liberally towards the end. Hell, you can toggle it just by pressing triangle in this one.

Also...I already beat my first playthrough and started a second one with the female protagionist.
    It is amusing to me that everyone in VTX is basically bisexual lol.

That's the power of the Fallen Angel.

• Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    l do appreciate that they try to make attacks as true to their source material as possible but I think it'd be cool if along with the skip option you got an abridged option which would give you a quicker version for some of the longer more cinematic ones.

Well, I have V, Moon Dwellers and X; I have only played V, you can always keep O or X pressed during the animation to fast forward it.

Edit.- It is not what you ask for, but it is better than nothing, I guess.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh, cool, I unlocked a Secret Scenario.

Wait, there are secret scenarios in this game? Ah well, I've managed without a walkthrough so far, guess I'll just keep trucking. Maybe I'll try and consciously aim for them on New Game+, if I ever get around to it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options

Wait, there are secret scenarios in this game? Ah well, I've managed without a walkthrough so far, guess I'll just keep trucking. Maybe I'll try an consciously aim for them on New Game+, if I ever get around to it.

Yup, there are. Generally potential conditions for the are one of the following:

One or more characters having higher than a minimum score at a certain part of the game.

Having higher than a specific number of aces at a specific point in the game.

Having a total number of secret points by a certain mission in the game (normally gained by having specific characters fighting other specific characters)

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Wait, there are secret scenarios in this game? Ah well, I've managed without a walkthrough so far, guess I'll just keep trucking. Maybe I'll try and consciously aim for them on New Game+, if I ever get around to it.

There are 5 in Total. In one playthough you can go through 60 Scenarios: 0, 1-54, and the 5 Secret Scenarios. Then on NG+ you can hit most of the route splits.

I say most, as there's one three-way split in the game. Unlike V, it's not a party three-way split though. It's a story-choice split.

• Options
    One thing that kind of annoys me about this game as that it has a very specific formula for how new people join mid-battle. Usually the protagonists are overwhelmed by a swarm of enemies or some monster, but then! The new arrival warps in to save the day!

On a different part of the map. Entirely isolated, and totally outclassed. So I have to pull them back to my main group which was actually handling things just fine, thank you, and they can just sit the rest of the battle out.

And then you reach the scenario where you get Gunbuster and Black Sizzler. They show up kind of isolated and surrounded by a swarm of enemies. And they wreck face like it ain't no thing. They actually live up to the hype for once.

So anyway, Noriko and Jung are permanent members of my team now. Turns out first impressions count for a lot. Who knew?

• Options
    The Gunbuster and Sizzler are fantastic, yeah.

• Options
    @WotanAnubis What units on battle join have you been disappointed with? Yeah, they don't have Power Parts or Customization Bonuses yet, but for my Expert playthrough everyone's been fine on mid battle join.

• Options
    @WotanAnubis What units on battle join have you been disappointed with? Yeah, they don't have Power Parts or Customization Bonuses yet, but for my Expert playthrough everyone's been fine on mid battle join.

I can't remember all of them, because there are so many mechs and I know basically none of them. But I think it was Ryoma who was really disappointing when he first showed up. Here's this badass ex-con and his also bad-ass detective or whatever and they're basically non-entities in the actual battle. The Rune Gods were OK, I guess, but hardly impressive. Then there's Mightgaine getting an upgrade in the middle of battle, and moving to another part of the map to face off against a boss surrounded by enemies. I had put some funds into that mech by that point, but he was still hopelessly outmatched when all alone out there, making me feel like that upgrade was meaningless.
    Oh, and then there's that one map where Master Asia joins for a bit, I think to prevent a colony drop. Of course he doesn't have the boss level stats from before, but since he's only around for one early map, it really wouldn't have hurt to make him powerful enough to handle his part of the map without needing anyone to back him up.

• Options
    Oh, as a minor tip: Throw SP recovery and SP boosting stuff at Fuu. She has the most spamable cheap Foresee. So anyone caught out that doesn't have either Wall or super high Evasion can survive just fine.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Going by memory, since my SRW T won't arrive for a while longer, but Gunbuster is also one of the few XL units around I believe? That means bonus to damage.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yeah. Larger units get a damage bonus against smaller ones. And smaller units get a damage penalty.

Ignore size reduces that penalty.

I also believe that smaller units get an evasion bonus against larger ones but that one I'm not sure about.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Size difference and Morale difference are your largest passive damage modifiers.

The later is why Daunt can be so good vs bosses.

• Options
    Also 130 is generally the biggest breakpoint for Morale cause that's where a lot of skills activate.

• Options
    Also 130 is generally the biggest breakpoint for Morale cause that's where a lot of skills activate.

Deoends on the character. Specefic ones have bit things come online at 150 or 170.

Also, lowering enemy More doesn't just lower their damage and increase their damage taken. Sometimes it also blocks off their access to attacks.

• Options
    Yeah but its pretty obvious who those characters are. 130 is a lot more general.

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    Okay, this is a neat deployment thing they do with (T character spoilers)
    Eagle and the NSX/FTO. Where he's the battleship captain with Geo as the sub-pilot, except you can choose to deploy him separately and leave Geo in charge. From what I had seen I had though we got them as two permanently distinct units. Have they ever done something like this before? From some LP's I've seen I think there was a Xabungle character who went from captain to deployable unit, but I think that was a permanent switch - she didn't stay as the captain if you didn't field her, she just got outright replaced there.

I just wish they had given him a command aura. I miss my tiny mobile commanders.

Also this is looking a bit ahead for me, but does anyone know which ending choice leads to the "normal" ending? I always do that first run, and normally I can just avoid meeting the requirements for it pretty easily...but you rack up aces so easily here that I think I may actually hit the unlock requirements.

• Options
    Its pretty simple. If you meet the requirements towards the end you'll get asked a question like "Let's take the easy route" or "Naw, let's fight harder enemies."

The "easy" option is the normal route.

• Options
    Sirac wrote: »
    Okay, this is a neat deployment thing they do with (T character spoilers)
    Eagle and the NSX/FTO. Where he's the battleship captain with Geo as the sub-pilot, except you can choose to deploy him separately and leave Geo in charge. From what I had seen I had though we got them as two permanently distinct units. Have they ever done something like this before? From some LP's I've seen I think there was a Xabungle character who went from captain to deployable unit, but I think that was a permanent switch - she didn't stay as the captain if you didn't field her, she just got outright replaced there.

I just wish they had given him a command aura. I miss my tiny mobile commanders.

Also this is looking a bit ahead for me, but does anyone know which ending choice leads to the "normal" ending? I always do that first run, and normally I can just avoid meeting the requirements for it pretty easily...but you rack up aces so easily here that I think I may actually hit the unlock requirements.

I know the choice that leads to the two endings.
    the choices are something like:
    1. Take them one at a time - normal ending
    2. Take the difficult path - True ending

I may have the wording wrong, but the order is correct.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Just did my third Secret Scenario and met some old friends. It was nice seeing some old mechs and theme songs again, even if it's just for one stage.

Also, this is one hell of a route split. So stacked on one side.
    orwuTLG.png

• Options
    Yeah, but a decently built ZZ Gundam can solo pretty much any map, so it's fair.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Question for those who know more about T than I do.

What does the Gravity Wave Antenna actually do?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Question for those who more about T than I do.

What does the Gravity Wave Antenna actually do?

100% energy regen every turn if a unit with Gravity Wave Beam (i.e. the Nadesico) is on the field.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451