As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outward] Bound!

ED!ED! Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Games and Technology
C4s65ru.jpg
No remarkable journey is achieved without great effort. Outward is an open-world RPG where the cold of the night or an infected wound can be as dangerous as a predator lurking in the dark. Explore the vast world of Aurai, embark on memorable adventures alone or with your friends.

EDIT: here is an infographic touting some of the features of the game.

Xi0SYXVl.jpg RUqXUQJl.jpg
T8R53OEl.jpg

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
ED! on

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I've really been enjoying my time with this game, and was surprised to not find a thread on it. OUTWARD is basically a Survival game, with RPG trappings sprinkled throughout. The RPG aspects of the game are pretty rote, but it's the survival portions of the game that really elevate the game to something special. A game that essentially says "Well. . .go out and adventure" but doesn't tell you how to adventure beyond the bear minimum on paper sounds terrible, but in action it really is something else.

To give a description of how OUTWARD works this was my first approach to the first quest you can do (but certainly don't have to if you do not want to):
    The game starts with tasking you to repay a blood-debt from years (probably decades) in the past. You're just returning from a failed mission to get some coin and are severely behind debt. Your tribe tells you you have five days to repay or your house is forfeit. The Chamberlady (mayor) of Ciervo lets you know that the best way to get that money is to get out there and adventure. . .but to not do so willy-nilly. Running around town, talking to all the NPC's you essentially learn that questing isn't a "go out, kills some rabbits, and all is forgiven." No you're going to have to prepare or you'll face certain failure. . .and the loss of your home. After looting everything that's not tied down in town, I have about half the money I need for payment (150 silver coins) as well as a decent set of armor, weapons, and food, drink and bandages for a small adventure. Before heading out on a quest (that you can chose not to do) I am told that discretion is the better part of valor, and that if I am going to go adventuring to watch out for bandits and other creatures on the road. A good lesson as a white choccobo nearly kills me outside the city gates. I rest for an hour and head back out, this time taking the non-beaten path, avoiding enemies, and making sure I follow the directions given to me, as the world map does not ping quest locations and does not orient itself to your view: NPC's will give you landmarks to look out for and nothing else. I reach the first dungeon and can barely see, so I have alternate between holding my lantern and pulling out my 2-H weapon, since I do not have a backpack that can accommodate a lantern hanging off the side). After some close calls I manage to complete the quest (or rather retrieve the item I was asked to find) but not before getting nearly impossibly lost inside (again, no minimap). I get back to town, turn in the quest along with selling some items I don't need and have enough to save my house.

I'm about seven hours into the game so far, and despite it looking and handling kind of janky (in a lovingly kind of way, the way a game made by 10 people would handle) I will say it's one of my favorite games of the past year. Everything, so far, just works in the game, and works in a way that an "adventure" should work in RPG's (like recipes for armor or potions not actually telling you what they do or how much of a bonus to current equipped gear you'll get, because why would they - that's what the purchase is for). Game is a bit pricey in my opinion but definitely worth the purchase in my opinion.

Also this is my first "hey check out this game thread" so apologies for formatting.

ED! on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It does look interesting. Reminds me of Euro-jank RPG games like 'Risen' and 'Elex', which I really liked. Definitely putting it on my wish-list for later. :)

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I've been following this game for some time. I'm surprised at how little interest there seems to be on this forum for it. That said, it's something I plan on picking up this weekend.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    This looks and sounds glorious. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this up in a couple of weeks.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It does look interesting. Reminds me of Euro-jank RPG games like 'Risen' and 'Elex', which I really liked. Definitely putting it on my wish-list for later. :)

It is definitely janky. . .watching a guy farm the same plot of land morning, noon and night, rain of snow. . .you just have to smile.
    Heir wrote: »
    I've been following this game for some time. I'm surprised at how little interest there seems to be on this forum for it. That said, it's something I plan on picking up this weekend.

I'm actually curious if it's the price tag. I feel like if this were 29.99 it would be an even topper-seller. I understand that it's a big game, but really feels like they might have missed the sweet-spot of where where to price this thing. I've "only" managed about 12 hours so far in the game, and still haven't managed to get out of the first region (and only actually done two quests) so content wise it isn't lacking for things to get lost doing. On sale I think it'll get far more exposure.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I saw a bounty for this on Twitch's bounty board and I was thinking about picking it up to play next week, but it does look janky as all hell. Has anyone here picked it up and can go over what the objective is, how it runs, etc...?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

It is definitely janky. . .watching a guy farm the same plot of land morning, noon and night, rain of snow. . .you just have to smile.
    Heir wrote: »

I'm actually curious if it's the price tag. I feel like if this were 29.99 it would be an even topper-seller. I understand that it's a big game, but really feels like they might have missed the sweet-spot of where where to price this thing. I've "only" managed about 12 hours so far in the game, and still haven't managed to get out of the first region (and only actually done two quests) so content wise it isn't lacking for things to get lost doing. On sale I think it'll get far more exposure.

I thought exactly the same thing -- I have way too many games to play but would probably irresponsibly pick this up if it were $30. I love some ambitious eurojank.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    It looks super interesting, and anything coop definitely shoots it up the interest-o-meter. I'd love to watch Koops play it on stream to get a better grasp on it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    It may have been an inopportune time to launch as well. They appear to be incredibly different games, but both this and Sekiro are getting the "souls-like" label, and Sekiro has waaaaay more visibility and polish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    It looks super interesting, and anything coop definitely shoots it up the interest-o-meter. I'd love to watch Koops play it on stream to get a better grasp on it.

@CorriganX I think I'm going to pick up the bounty, but I probably won't get to stream it until Monday at the earliest.

• Options
    I saw a bounty for this on Twitch's bounty board and I was thinking about picking it up to play next week, but it does look janky as all hell. Has anyone here picked it up and can go over what the objective is, how it runs, etc...?

There are "grand quests" that you can undertake (one for each faction and one for each region I believe), however the main goal is just to be the best adventurer you can be.

The game would definitely be a lot more manageable in early hours in co-op (as it allows for more MMO-esque lineups and you are very often tag-teamed).

I just finished a huge fortress yesterday with what I would consider two/three mini-boss-esque characters and am really starting to see the game open up. I've got my Spell-Blade build coming along pretty well, and I'm looking to head to the next major city to learn some more combat/magic tricks before heading back to the starting region to finish cleaning up the area. . .on a run back to town after a disastrous assault on the aforementioned fortress, I dumb-luck stumbled upon 3 mini-dungeons and a shortcut through town.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I picked it up. Just wondering around the first day I would up in a cave with Trogs. I'm not even sure I can repair my gear. But having fun.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    I picked it up. Just wondering around the first day I would up in a cave with Trogs. I'm not even sure I can repair my gear. But having fun.

You can repair your gear while you rest. It's only equipped gear though and each hour spent repairing repairs only a certain amount (and I'm sure increases Ambush %).

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I picked this up last night, and it seems cool! The rumors of its brutality are true, but it's also gorgeous. The environmental pretty definitely makes up for the models being kind of eh -- exploring is great and that seems pretty important. I'm already horribly diseased from hyenas, and constantly bleeding from not-chocobos, but I managed to take out a pair of guys before bed that had a bit of armor and a shield to go with my sword. I'm calling it a success!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Game is decent. Although now that I found this chicken mask with +20% run speed, how can I wear anything else?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I too have recently gotten in to this.

I originally passed on it when I saw it labeled as an "open world RPG survival game" and I was all, "Eh, I don't need another one of those in my life."

Then I saw a random video on it and found out it it wasn't an open world RPG survival game at all, but an open world RPG survival game instead. Please forgive my confusion. :razz:

Everything about the game is right up my alley.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'd say the survival elements are light. You have to eat and drink, sleep, and there's a crafting system. But you're not building your own house or anything.

The ramp up from being afraid of a chicken to feeling like a competent fighter is very satisfying. I enjoy slowly finding/building better and better gear, whereas most modern RPGs deck you out in full plate and glowing weapons 30 minutes in.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    Game is decent. Although now that I found this chicken mask with +20% run speed, how can I wear anything else?

Same here! I just got it while playing split screen co-op with a friend, and god damn that mask is fancy. So stylish, and everyone needs more run speed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I stumbled across a very useful item that you can get early through what I can only assume is an intended "Easter egg", rather than coming back for it once you've found the items to do it "normally."

The door requiring two power cells in the bandit camp...
    Circle around back of the building and you can walk up onto the rocks, then easily roll off onto the roof of the building. There is a pipe there, and if you move close you'll see a "talk to NPC" prompt. Interact once (nothing will seem to happen) then jump down and go into the building again--the door will be open.

What's inside? Oh, just some clothes... and a 110 capacity backpack!

• Options
    I mean they've patched the game since then so I'm guessing it's intended (with some missing dialogue perhaps). I had heard about something interesting being in there, didn't know it was something that good. Because that's really good early game.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Really enjoying this so far. I mean it is a indie game with some flaws and rough edges, but the overall execution is on the money for me.

The backpack is a strangely brilliant idea that I am in love with. I also like that not all backpacks are created equal. Sure you can wear this big ass pack, but you'll be slow and get tired fast. Or you can wear this smaller pack that doesn't hold as much as the others, but you can dodge roll with it (which is actually a super useful pack if you plan on tackling dungeons).

I'm a fan of the idea that sleeping, drinking and eating provides bonuses and buffs and isn't something you need to do to just fill a meter.

Having to worry about disease and weather can be a real fun bitch too. Currently winter has set in and I had found myself wholly unprepared and quickly froze to death. But it's fine now, I got my warm furs on and plenty of spicy foods and drinks.

With the weight system I find myself actually planning out what I need for my travels and that is pretty baller. What's the weather like? What should I wear? What should I bring? Should I stock up on certain foods/drinks? Do I plan on doing a lot of fighting or is this just a resource/exploration run? How long do I plan to be away from civilization?

I'm also unexpectedly a fan of the way training and character development works.

My only big complaint at the moment is that I can't manual save. I don't mean that I dislike the one save thing and how it is basically Ironman Mode. What I mean is on top of the auto-saving I would like to hit F5 and update the save. A couple times now the game has crashed and I've lost 30 or so minutes worth of work. Currently I've taken to just exiting to the main menu every now and then. Which, y'know, is kinda silly.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.