As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Million To One Shot Now Odds On Favourite

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Germans think that if you can board a plane earlier you'll be landing earlier.

What bothers me is why Hunt isn't smiling? Is he trying to look statesmanlike?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That looks like Terminal 5, which is a place smiles go to die.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    He's not there now is he? I'm on way to terminal 5 and don't fancy getting involved in some impromptu hustings.

Budget airline gates are still always crowded because of the luggage space issues

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    That looks like Terminal 5, which is a place smiles go to die.

Yeah. Not smiling in an airport may be the closest thing to a human response from Hunt in ages.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Boris is ducking the Sky leadership debate.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He also says he's "challenged" Hunt to the ITV debate, which is held after most Tory party members have received their postal voting forms and a bunch of them will inevitably have voted. Hunt has been appropriately contemptuous of someone ducking ten fights and demanding one later.

Those of you who were told Johnson's private life was off limits will be surprised to find out that it's totally within limits when they're staging a lovey dovey hand holding photo with his girlfriend in Sussex to fend off accusations of him being a shitbag. More updates as they come in.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Boris is ducking the Sky leadership debate.

While it was expected (he's the presumptive, and can only screw himself, given he's a buffoon), I do hope the other(s?*) absolutely hammer him on "Is this what leadership is? Expecting to be given the job, without feeling you need to fight for it?"

* I've lost track of how big the field is now. Is it just one, or is it more than?

• Options
    It's just him and Hunt. I doubt Sky will put it on if Johnson isn't there. It'd be good if they did, though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    May did this as well, I can't believe it's an optional thing.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's just him and Hunt. I doubt Sky will put it on if Johnson isn't there. It'd be good if they did, though.
    "Thank you for your response, Mr Hunt. Mr Johnson, your rebuttal?"
    Camera lingers on an empty chair.

I wonder if they could do an HIGNFY and just put a tub of lard in Boris' place.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I honestly think they should just give Hunt an uninterrupted platform to talk about whatever he likes. That should be the standard response to politicians chickening out of public scrutiny. You don't like having the worlds brightest spotlight shone on all your ideas and motivations? Tough shit, you don't get to be leader of the country then. You may be able to pull strings and rely on the support of your friendly mob in the domestic setting but when you're out there representing us on the international stage an empty suit who can only win with a stacked deck is no use to anyone.

• Options
    I assume Boris doesn't want to be caught in any situation where someone can call his lies out to his face, and force him to respond.

• Options
    May did this as well, I can't believe it's an optional thing.

Televised debates between party leaders during a GE is only a relatively recent thing. Televised debates for party leadership elections are not really part of the regular political landscape in the UK.

I appreciate that this particular party leadership election will also determine the PM, and scrutiny is absolutely required in a much greater degree than is currently able to be bought to bear on Johnson, but I don't think we're anywhere near it being a mandatory part of the process.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just for those of us not fully familiar, it's clear BoJo is a clusterfuck from the go, but is the other guy any better (grading on a scale, he's clearly an asshole or he wouldn't have made it this far in Tory politics), or is it pick your poison equally terrible?

• Options
    He’s less of an unmitigated disaster than Johnson, so, like, a mitigated disaster.

• Options
    He said at the hustings the other day that he’d visited a factory that employed 300 people which would absolutely go out of business in the event of a no deal and stated that oh well that’s the price we’d have to pay. So he’s still an absolute shitpunnet.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just for those of us not fully familiar, it's clear BoJo is a clusterfuck from the go, but is the other guy any better (grading on a scale, he's clearly an asshole or he wouldn't have made it this far in Tory politics), or is it pick your poison equally terrible?

He's still very bad but not as very bad, though he has a similar line in embarrassing public moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmCtGKwgJ2k

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Rated not quite as bad as Boris Johnson is being damned by faint praise, indeed.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    That line from the Simpsons comes to mind; This time he's the lesser of two evils.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I mean Hunt is not quite equally terrible

They are both terrible in distinctive and unique ways, above and beyond generic Tory terrible

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Definitely better than Boris but that leaves a vast gulf to be awful in. At least it would be a change to have a PM not from Eton.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    There already seems to be a certain amount of political Stockholm syndrome setting in for Hunt. "Save us from Boris" and all that; some people (not necessarily here, but I've run into them IRL) seem to be forgetting how awful Hunt is, just because he's not quite as awful as Johnson.

• Options
    You don't have to forget how awful he is to believe he's the best of the two, awful options.

Leave.EU (the ultra arsehole Brexit campaign) are currently boasting that Johnson is a shoo-in because of their entryism campaign that saw thousands of Brexit-happy nutters join the Tory party since 2017.

• Options
    I'll certainly give him that he is the least worst option.

• Options
    You don't have to forget how awful he is to believe he's the best of the two, awful options.

Leave.EU (the ultra arsehole Brexit campaign) are currently boasting that Johnson is a shoo-in because of their entryism campaign that saw thousands of Brexit-happy nutters join the Tory party since 2017.

Between Faragist entryism in the Conservative party and we’re-not-militant-we-swear entryism in Labour it feels like a particularly strong moment for quasi-Leninist politics right now

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    He said at the hustings the other day that he’d visited a factory that employed 300 people which would absolutely go out of business in the event of a no deal and stated that oh well that’s the price we’d have to pay. So he’s still an absolute shitpunnet.

It's basically a war mentality which condones casualties because the greatness of the nation is at stake or whatever

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

Definitely better than Boris but that leaves a vast gulf to be awful in. At least it would be a change to have a PM not from Eton.

May wasn't from Eton

Ideally I'd like a PM who wasn't from Oxbridge

• Options
    This is the entryism that the Conservatives flatly denied was happening, right?

this_is_fine.jpg

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Between Faragist entryism in the Conservative party and we’re-not-militant-we-swear entryism in Labour it feels like a particularly strong moment for quasi-Leninist politics right now

Political parties are supposed to fight this shit off. It's one of the things you need to have happen to keep democracies from falling apart.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Political parties are supposed to fight this shit off. It's one of the things you need to have happen to keep democracies from falling apart.

At the time it probably looked like their plan was working - promise the referendum and the UKIP guys start to join your Party.
    And the guys at the top probably don't realise quite how small the party is, other than perhaps remembering the actual number as an odd bit of trivia. They see the party more as the influence it has rather than it's members.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

As a leadership election move though it is masterful. Whilst Boris waffles and evades of what he actually means by leaving on October 31st Hunt has got in their and said he'd God damn fucking do it and pull the fuck g trigger and ruin people's lives. It makes it seem more real that he would actually Brexit. Which is where Hunt need to hit, he is seen as the Remainers by an electorate of psychotic Leavers. He has just spoken their language in a way Boris never has.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

As a leadership election move though it is masterful. Whilst Boris waffles and evades of what he actually means by leaving on October 31st Hunt has got in their and said he'd God damn fucking do it and pull the fuck g trigger and ruin people's lives. It makes it seem more real that he would actually Brexit. Which is where Hunt need to hit, he is seen as the Remainers by an electorate of psychotic Leavers. He has just spoken their language in a way Boris never has.

But did he put that statement on a bus?

• Options
    Liar lies repeatedlyBoris Johnson defends Brexit plan and 'row' silence
    Boris Johnson has admitted he would need EU co-operation to avoid a hard Irish border or crippling tariffs on trade in the event of no deal.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC, the favourite to be next prime minister said: "It's not just up to us."

But he said he did "not believe for a moment" the UK would leave without a deal, although he was willing to do so.

He insisted it was possible to broker a new deal with the EU before the end of October because the political landscape had changed in the UK and on the continent.

"I think actually that politics has changed so much since 29 March," he said, referring to the original Brexit deadline.

"I think on both sides of the Channel there's a really different understanding of what is needed."
    The EU needs to quarantine the UK to try to contain the stupid.
    Mr Johnson said he would be able to persuade Brussels to resolve the Irish border issue - a key sticking point - despite repeated warnings from EU leaders that that was impossible.

He said there were "abundant, abundant technical fixes" that could be made to avoid border checks.
    Abundant technical fixes, you say? FUCKING LIST THEM
    When challenged that these do not exist yet, Mr Johnson replied: "Well, they do actually, you have in very large measure they do, you have trusted trader schemes, all sorts of schemes that you could put into place."
    Anybody who knows how trusted trader schemes work facepalmed at this, surely.

It goes on, but I'm getting too angry to type coherently astfglasdhouhf.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The abundant technical fixes are special economic areas, that just push the border back across a series of lesser borders within Ireland rather than one big one where it meets NI. Ireland is not super-excited about this option.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

At the time it probably looked like their plan was working - promise the referendum and the UKIP guys start to join your Party.
    And the guys at the top probably don't realise quite how small the party is, other than perhaps remembering the actual number as an odd bit of trivia. They see the party more as the influence it has rather than it's members.

This is literally the thing you aren't supposed to do. Everyone always sees themselves as the canny political operative who's going to channel the populist extremists into political power and then just ignore them. It doesn't work. They will gut you like social services in a Tory budget and wear you as a skin-suit.

shryke on
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Boris Johnson has admitted he would need EU co-operation to avoid a hard Irish border or crippling tariffs on trade in the event of no deal.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC, the favourite to be next prime minister said: "It's not just up to us."

But he said he did "not believe for a moment" the UK would leave without a deal, although he was willing to do so.

He insisted it was possible to broker a new deal with the EU before the end of October because the political landscape had changed in the UK and on the continent.

"I think actually that politics has changed so much since 29 March," he said, referring to the original Brexit deadline.

"I think on both sides of the Channel there's a really different understanding of what is needed."
    Mr Johnson said he would be able to persuade Brussels to resolve the Irish border issue - a key sticking point - despite repeated warnings from EU leaders that that was impossible.

He said there were "abundant, abundant technical fixes" that could be made to avoid border checks.
    When challenged that these do not exist yet, Mr Johnson replied: "Well, they do actually, you have in very large measure they do, you have trusted trader schemes, all sorts of schemes that you could put into place."

He must really think he has this in the bag because he is not playing to the right audience at all

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

He must really think he has this in the bag because he is not playing to the right audience at all

Really? His audience is conservative party members, and no-one else. Note how often he keeps going on about the consequences of this going wrong. Not for the country, not for people, but for the parties. A massive economic crash and increased tensions with Europe, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are a small price to pay if the alternative is the Conservative Party suffering in an election.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    "It is not beyond the wit of man to make it happen" is such a bizzare buzzword. Nothing's changed; the Irish border is still a Serious Problem for Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.