As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Julian Assange Arrested in London

1222324252628»

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Well, it's from the Daily Mail, so I axiomatically don't trust this piece of alleged news.

But if it is true, then Assange has found a lawyer who is as ethically bankrupt as he is. Which is no mean feat.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Stuff happened! Time to necro the thread.

CNN wrote:
    JUST IN: A British judge blocks the extradition of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the US on espionage charges. The US said it will appeal.

The long and the short of it is that the judge feels Assange is a danger to himself and the US will not give the UK assurances that he will receive the proper care while in custody so the judge says, "No. Not gonna do it."

US says they will file an appeal on the matter while Assange's lawyers want him to be given a bail hearing.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Its pretty rare that you can morally justify extraditing someone to our prison system in general

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's the right call I think in the sense that extraditing to the US is probably never a moral choice.

But also fuck him.

Will he be in prison some more in the UK for his hiding from the law for 10 years? That'd be something at least.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They're literally citing Chelsea Manning's treatment as a part of it.

Further:

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Who else wants Assange? In addition to "potentially terrible treatment", he's also on the potential pardon list.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Our prisons are pretty terrible, but our low security federal prisons are not so bad. I have it on good authority that is the way to go. It's the state and county prisons that are the worst. Federal prisons are generally more humane.

Although interesting fact, you are more likely to get seriously injured in a UK prison than a Federal US prison.

It's really weird statistics, whatever UK has been doing in their prisons over the last 5 years. Has drastically increased the number and severity of the prison assaults (or maybe there is increased reporting and they've always been this bad).

zepherin on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Our prisons are pretty terrible, but our low security federal prisons are not so bad. I have it on good authority that is the way to go. It's the state and county prisons that are the worst. Federal prisons are generally more humane.

Although interesting fact, you are more likely to get seriously injured in a UK prison than a Federal US prison.

It's really weird statistics, whatever UK has been doing in their prisons over the last 5 years. Has drastically increased the number and severity of the prison assaults (or maybe there is increased reporting and they've always been this bad).

Well he'd likely to be looking at a high security prison and torture.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Knowing our administration they'd probably try to send him to Florence. Which has been referred to as a quiet super clean version of hell.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

The US is #3 in the world for recidivism. Our prison industry is fucked and should be torn down to bare grass and rebuilt in a Norwegian model / restorative justice.

Not saying that Assange should get off with a slap on the wrist. Even in Norway, the penalties for espionage are up to 15 years in prison.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The fact that judges sentence anyone to prison in the US is an indicator of how much respect they have for the 8th amendment.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I think its debatable that Assange would be subjected to any of what makes the US prison system the worst of the industrialized world. Chelsea went through hell but how much of that was just for being trans?

This might all be moot as I expect Trump to pardon Assange anyway.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The fact that judges sentence anyone to prison in the US is an indicator of how much respect they have for the 8th amendment.

[Scalia] it says cruel AND unusual! If you're cruel to everyone it doesn't count![/Scalia]

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Stuff happened! Time to necro the thread.

CNN wrote:
    JUST IN: A British judge blocks the extradition of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the US on espionage charges. The US said it will appeal.

The long and the short of it is that the judge feels Assange is a danger to himself and the US will not give the UK assurances that he will receive the proper care while in custody so the judge says, "No. Not gonna do it."

US says they will file an appeal on the matter while Assange's lawyers want him to be given a bail hearing.

Kind of ballsy for Assanges lawyers to ask for a bail hearing when I’m pretty sure he skipped bail to get into the Embassy

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Knowing our administration they'd probably try to send him to Florence. Which has been referred to as a quiet super clean version of hell.

Like for fucking real, anybody looking for a severely bad time go ahead and read about Florence supermax, like literally do not let them take you alive

ADX.CELL.DESIGN.svg

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Had a grandparent that worked as a prison nurse. From what I understood the groups that got the worst treatment in US jails in no particular order:

Being trans
    Being a known pedophile
    Being considered a traitor to the US

This is just in regards to the general prison population.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chelsea was also not in the civilian population, I thought.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Considering the "danger to himself" line, I imagine the concern is that he might either commit suicide, or "commit suicide". :?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Being in solitary confinement is a danger to one's mental and physical health.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

The person in charge of prisons in the UK from 2012 to 2015 was Chris Grayling (yes, that Chris Grayling. Huge ideas to revolutionise the system, zero experience or competence in doing so). Michael Gove then spent a year trying to unfuck things before Brexit meant that there have been 5 Secretary of States for Justice since Grayling, many of which were main players in the breakdown of Theresa May's government around Brexit on various sides, so divided priorities.

So basically they were completely Grayling'd, and then nothing was really done at all for the next five years leaving them roughly 10 years behind. There's also apparently been a lot of incidents of violence around drug related violence in recent years on top of a complete lack of progress in the last decade.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd be worried about Trump dishing out a pardon before he's booted from office, if I was the UK.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh, I know, I meant she was in military lockup, wasn't she?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It’s worth noting that the judge flatly rejected all of the “but he’s just a journalist!” claims, and the decision rested entirely on concerns about Assange’s potential mental health if he ended up in the US prison system.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I'd be worried about Trump dishing out a pardon before he's booted from office, if I was the UK.

Why, if we wanted to charge him we would. He's spent most time in Ecuadorian custody.
    If the US doesn't want him he can get booted back to Aus, he's no right to live and work in the UK far as I know.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Would the UK deport him to a nation that might deport him? He is probably stuck there

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Her cell was literally the kind laid out in the diagram Hobnail posted, except she didn't have a television in the cell.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think they are referencing her most recent detention for contempt of court, which was just regular prison solitary confinement.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    shryke wrote: »

I think they are referencing her most recent detention for contempt of court, which was just regular prison solitary confinement.

Ah, I was confused. She did solitary last time as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

He could literally do that right now.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

It is, in fact, literal torture. At least according to the UN Committee Against Torture and the European Court of Justice.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Biden Administration would be willing to extradite Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a Trump appointed American diplomat that killed a British teenager, in exchange for Assange.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    This is good, actually!
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I wonder if the Biden Administration would be willing to extradite Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a Trump appointed American diplomat that killed a British teenager, in exchange for Assange.

I'd settle for a president. Preferably Bush, since he's being treated to a redemption arc at the moment.

Provided the US can bring relevant charges that aren't just being upset at having their war crimes exposed.

Kelor on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/uk/julian-assange-bail-denied-gbr-intl/index.html
    hmm so no extradition, but no bail either, what's next for assange?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Looks like he's going to prison somewhere.

Maybe this time he won't get to smear shit on the walls.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The intelligence asset angle makes Assange way more valuable than a normal prisoner too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Feel bad for the guard that gets litter box duty

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    The intelligence asset angle makes Assange way more valuable than a normal prisoner too.

He's well past being good for that.

I'm willing to bet that any connections or meetings that may have occurred have been ferreted out and researched. Contacts traced and bank accounts analyzed. I doubt there's any secrets he's holding on to which have any value to anyone but him.

Any intelligence agency worth their salt has been spelunking through ass since before he went into hiding and have found whatever worthwhile nuggets there were to be found.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

He's well past being good for that.

I'm willing to bet that any connections or meetings that may have occurred have been ferreted out and researched. Contacts traced and bank accounts analyzed. I doubt there's any secrets he's holding on to which have any value to anyone but him.

Any intelligence agency worth their salt has been spelunking through ass since before he went into hiding and have found whatever worthwhile nuggets there were to be found.

Yes in the litter box

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Looks like he's going to prison somewhere.

Maybe this time he won't get to smear shit on the walls.

He was planning on smearing shit on a canvas and selling it as modern art to raise a bail fund.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai