As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    There’s a PS4 trophy for having a hacked droid kill another enemy. Can’t say for xbox

Oh right, duh. I completely forgot about that. I got mine from one killing a Stormtrooper so didn't realize it was any enemy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finished the game.
    Merrin is adorable... for a dark side force sorceress. But she's only in the group for like 5 minutes! Total sequel bait.

I'm shocked the Ninth Sister didn't make a "surprise" return at some point. No body, no death is usually the name of the game for fights that ended the way hers did.

In the grander scope of the game Malicos felt a little tacked-on to fill out Dathomir content, but it was kind of a cool side thing anyway.

The inevitable Rancor fight didn't happen, I would have though for sure the Haxion Brood asteroid would have that and at least one random Hutt betting on the fight. Oh well, later content!

How can the lightsaber part/color designs and BD-1 paints look so good but the cavalcade of ponchos look so dumb? BD even got a blatant Evangelion reference! Cal is kind of a dork tbf, may as well dress like one.

Vader casually not giving a shit is good.

The only part of the game that legitimately annoyed me is wall running into vines that you have to force pull towards you as you're jumping off of the wall. It was so god damn fiddly getting Cal to force pull it properly coming off of the wall.

Overall I enjoyed, giev sequel pls.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    The droid hacking thing is very confusing. I have the scomp upgrade for BD-1 and can 'hack' locked things otherwise, but never get the prompt for droids. I assume droid hacking is a separate upgrade I missed/haven't reached yet? I'm on my second visit to
    Zeffo, just got force pull to explore the second tomb/temple.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You have to get the droids to 20% health, then press the hack button near them

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Droid hacking is a separate upgrade. In fact, probe droid and security droid are two distinct upgrades.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    BD even got a blatant Evangelion reference!
    That's a Day of the Tentacle reference!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to play this again? Maybe on grandmaster for luls but mostly because I enjoyed it? I guess I’m weird because by most metrics this is a pretty mediocre game. My Star Wars love just has a grip on me but I wouldn’t come back if I didn’t like a lot of the systems and exploration.

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    BD even got a blatant Evangelion reference!
    That's a Day of the Tentacle reference!

Even better

• Options
    I kind of want to play this again? Maybe on grandmaster for luls but mostly because I enjoyed it? I guess I’m weird because by most metrics this is a pretty mediocre game. My Star Wars love just has a grip on me but I wouldn’t come back if I didn’t like a lot of the systems and exploration.

I kinda got the itch to redo it again, and go for 100%. I actually thought of turning the difficulty down, not up lol.

I really wish it had a new game plus so I could have all my toys and pimp out my saber in different ways

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Droid hacking is a separate upgrade. In fact, probe droid and security droid are two distinct upgrades.

Which are kind of boring as upgrades. I initially was excited when I saw the station but both of those upgrades are lame.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Finished the game.
    Merrin is adorable... for a dark side force sorceress. But she's only in the group for like 5 minutes! Total sequel bait.

I'm shocked the Ninth Sister didn't make a "surprise" return at some point. No body, no death is usually the name of the game for fights that ended the way hers did.

In the grander scope of the game Malicos felt a little tacked-on to fill out Dathomir content, but it was kind of a cool side thing anyway.

The inevitable Rancor fight didn't happen, I would have though for sure the Haxion Brood asteroid would have that and at least one random Hutt betting on the fight. Oh well, later content!

How can the lightsaber part/color designs and BD-1 paints look so good but the cavalcade of ponchos look so dumb? BD even got a blatant Evangelion reference! Cal is kind of a dork tbf, may as well dress like one.

The only part of the game that legitimately annoyed me is wall running into vines that you have to force pull towards you as you're jumping off of the wall. It was so god damn fiddly getting Cal to force pull it properly coming off of the wall.

Oh Lord I haven't even gotten that far yet. I better start preparing my anger management now.

• Options

I kinda got the itch to redo it again, and go for 100%. I actually thought of turning the difficulty down, not up lol.

I really wish it had a new game plus so I could have all my toys and pimp out my saber in different ways

I’m close enough to 100% map coverage that I’ll probably finish that and maybe start a new game, get the last few achievements I need that way.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Finished the game.

Oh Lord I haven't even gotten that far yet. I better start preparing my anger management now.

Yeah, the points where you had to chain together multiple vine swings and wall runs, especially if double jumps were also involved were … not as fun as other parts. Likewise some of the ice slide sequences, especially when they ALSO led into multiple vine swings, wall runs, etc.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I didn't find any of the vine swinging bits all that fiddly once you had the Force pull, even when they pushed it to the limit.

Just straight sliding down ice or a ramp and jumping for the vines and hoping you've lined up right before you have it, though...

Kamar on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    today's patch unlocked all the pre-order content for everybody, so that's kinda cool

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I didn't find any of the vine swinging bits all that fiddly once you had the Force pull, even when they pushed it to the limit.

Just straight sliding down ice or a ramp and jumping for the vines and hoping you've lined up right before you have it, though...

There were 100% some vine swinging bugs. I found an amazing grinding spot that required swing on a vine right behind a save point so after doing the same swing a bunch of times in a row I can say... holy butts yea the physics wonk out like crazy sometimes.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Finished the game.

Yeah, the points where you had to chain together multiple vine swings and wall runs, especially if double jumps were also involved were … not as fun as other parts. Likewise some of the ice slide sequences, especially when they ALSO led into multiple vine swings, wall runs, etc.

I initially found it very frustrating that all of the hardest jumps and swings and fidgety button pressing moments were for getting the stim pack extensions, only because the difficulty arc felt very counterintuitive: basically, you suddenly had to do the hardest things in the game in order to make the game easier. Other than that the difficulty progression felt very smooth.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    today's patch unlocked all the pre-order content for everybody, so that's kinda cool

Another reason why you never preorder a game.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Hey, they won and got me to play it last night. Then got frustrated trying to find my way around the map to find those boxes. I did manage to find two new hidden areas and a few boxes then back to my ship to find that last seed. Still not 100%, but I am at least still playing it. OH and yeah the single blade makes killing monsters and Stormtroopers so much faster. SHEESH.

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't put it as a DLC which you can buy. Thankful, but yeah I agree that this sucks for those who pre-ordered it just for that. I managed to snag it for $40 at Walmart on sale before Christmas otherwise I'd probably still be waiting for it to hit the $20 mark.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Because then I would have access to content well after I have beaten it and will never get to use it?

Yea that's not a strong reason.

People didn't pay anything for that content. They aren't losing anything or any advantage to others. I'm a person who pre-orders and I see this as strictly a good thing and how it should always be done.

I'm not sure how this is being spun into anything bad for folks that pre-order.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    The pre order bonus was a handful of cosmetic options for your character, which everyone now gets for free. The game still has no locked DLC and no microtransactions, how on earth are people looking for a way to complain about this

• Options
    I was just talking about how preordering is not worth it generally because buying a game I know nothing about makes no sense to me, and if my reasoning was “well, there’s cool preorder stuff”, things like this usually happen.

If someone wants to preorder and it’s worth it to them for whatever reasons, great. I don’t want anyone to feel screwed! But I generally think it’s a bad deal, and was just pointing out that access to preorder stuff isn’t great reasoning from my perspective, for this reason.

It was not a comment anyone should take personally.

• Options
    The use of "you" as opposed to "I" in that case seems like where the miscommunication would come from.

Like I pre-order lots of stuff because I basically always know if I'm going to like a game and if I am actually uncertain for some reason than I will just skip that one until I know.

And then I tend to get discounts for the pre-order so I have saved literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars through pre-orders so it's basically a no brainer.

I'd be throwing away money if I wasn't pre-ordering.

Other bonuses are just sometimes nice and sometimes stuff I have no interest in so I just never even put in the code that comes with the pre-order.

And honestly even when I don't get a discount I'll do it for the sake of ease because it costs me nothing and insures the game is in my mail when I get home from work.

• Options
    You’re right, I did use “you” in the broader sense and I’m sorry for doing that. If it works for you and saves you money then keep doing it!

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ooooook, I was having a lot of fun with this game until I got to Taron Malicos.

I gave it a dozen or so solid tries before I swallowed my pride and dropped to Story Mode. I have limited game time enough as it is, really don't want to waste hours on the same fight over and over. Have to admit, though, it was pretty fun the handful of times I came close to getting him.

While looking up tips for the fight, I came across a review that hit the nail on the head for me: the game is a lot of fun, but some of the fights like Taron are just too hard for silly reasons. The game's mechanics aren't smooth enough to make failure always feel like your fault. A couple of times I was within a few hits of beating him, with several stim packs left, but he'd just wail my health down to nothing instantly and then BD wouldn't shoot me a stim fast enough. Dead.

Taximes on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Force Slow can help open windows for stimpaks, but I said pretty much teh same thing earlier in the thread, that experimentation is punished severely and failure is rarely worth the effort. You compare it to something like teh Arkham games or the new Spider-Man or God of War, which aren't necessarily difficult as long as you have the incoming damage warnings on, but as you progress through the game you get more powerful AND more competent and learn how enemies work, and suddenly those ones you were afraid of at the start are just regular mooks to you.

That point never really comes in Fallen Order, or it didn't for me anyway. The very big enemies that destroy you early on, sometimes I can no take them out in seconds, and other times they seem to absorb more damage randomly and for all my maximum health, they still destroy me. And due to their size, most of your Force Powers don't work on them, which IMO is like Kratos' axe not being able to embed in someone. The power fantasy isn't well designed here, and I think if it had been, that last last boss would have been even more amazing because of the difference in scale.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    And due to their size, most of your Force Powers don't work on them

There are upgrades specifically for this.

Which in turn does the exact thing you are asking for. Makes you feel much stronger against those enemies than you do when you first come in contact with them

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    And due to their size, most of your Force Powers don't work on them

There are upgrade specifically for this.

Which in turn does the exact thing you are asking for. Makes you feel much stronger against those enemies than you do when you first come in contact with them

I don't know about most people, but I certainly didn't have that unlocked by the end. I invested in what I thought would be cool force powers like Saber Toss and extended combos, but often none of those came in handy in the boss fights at all. And that's a legitimate criticism, in that the game gives you fun tools but then actively discourages you from using them, because half the time they do nothing and you can't risk them failing rather than doing safe, simple three string hits before the enemy magically recovers and forces you off them

• Options
    I've unlocked all the abilities and not noticed any that give me any greater manipulation of the big monsters or Purge Troopers or as Jay says, bosses.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Most of the later bosses seemed immune or heavily resistant to Force powers, regardless of upgrades. Which is irritating because it's not really fun, it just takes away something you've gotten good at using and ties one hand behind your back.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I've unlocked all the abilities and not noticed any that give me any greater manipulation of the big monsters or Purge Troopers or as Jay says, bosses.

I mean it's right there in the description.
    Holding Pull allows Cal to pull and hold most enemies. Large enemies can be yanked towards Cal. Uses Force.
    A powerful Push allowing Cal to send groups of enemies flying and knock down large targets. Uses Force.

And yes they work on bosses all the way through the end of the game.

Not only do they work but the upgraded push felt like the strongest thing to be doing against bosses and large enemies and everything that is hard in the game. You knock them over and bash them while they are getting up and then repeat until dead. And that was on hard mode.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I didn't have upgraded push or pull by the end, and half the time the regular push failed. It's inconsistent. If you didn't feel that, I wish I played the version you played.

• Options
    I'm speaking directly about bosses, purge troopers I didn't really have issues using Force on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I upgraded them all and didn't realize you could use the force powers on them. I tried several times and it looked like they knocked it away or whatever so I stopped trying.

• Options
    I didn't have upgraded push or pull by the end, and half the time the regular push failed. It's inconsistent. If you didn't feel that, I wish I played the version you played.

I'm talking about the upgraded version. Because that is the one that works on large monsters and bosses. Thus why it's such a good upgrade. Because it will always work on them. That's what the upgrade is for. Before I had it I never used it on bosses, I used the slowdown. And then once I got the upgraded push I switched over to that because it was an even more effective stun.

• Options
    That may be the case. The upgraded Force Slow for instance I just assumed was passive until I had to get the trophy for it, and you have to hold it for a good few seconds until he does a particular move. So it's possible that people just default used the moves expecting a different result. But then if that is multiple peoples experience it's a flaw in the game design not the player.

• Options
    Like if the upgraded version were any more effective against bosses it would be completely broken. Like bosses just laying on the floor never moving sort of broken.

As it is it's a free 3 hits every time you use it.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Ah yes, so only those upgrades work, not the dozen other combos and saber moves which are useless against someone like Malicos, who you can only stun 3 times with force and do a safe 3 attack string before he instantly recovers. Plus doesn't it take longer to charge up the stronger attack, which opens you up to attacks from the bosses?

It doesn't jive with reality

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Ah yes, so only those upgrades work, not the dozen other combos and saber moves which are useless against someone like Malicos, who you can only stun 3 times with force and do a safe 3 attack string before he instantly recovers. Plus doesn't it take longer to charge up the stronger attack, which opens you up to attacks from the bosses?

It doesn't jive with reality

I don't think there are dozens that are useless that seems like an exaggeration!

I'm also not saying they are all gems. I think the biggest offender is the saber show for sure. But I think more have uses than don't? Some abilities are not intended for bosses but lots are.

Slow and push are both great and that makes up 2 thirds of that entire tree worth of force skills. I can't speak to pull either way because I never bothered trying.

For the saber tree I think throw is the only one that just straight up isn't useful against bosses? So that's a majority of that tree too.

And then the third tree is all stats.

And as for the charge up thing... yes you hold the button for a second. But I don't know what game you are playing where you can't roll away and hold the button down for a second. Finding the timing to hit them with it is the part you are in charge of as the player. That's usually how those things work though, you find openings and attack, yea?

And once you have them knocked down once you now get to repeat that process until you run out of force because they don't get to recover. And then you find a time to heal force back up and repeat. That's why I say if it were even stronger than that there would be nothing for you to do as the player. As is it's just incredibly strong.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well it took me a while, but I finally accidentally saw the ending of the game in a Youtube thumbnail by accident, probably because I was watching a bunch of "How to get started in Jedi Fallen Order" videos and the algorithm sucks.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00