As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Going from this to Sekiro was perfect. I would have been very frustrated with Fallen Order after playing Sekiro. Sekiro is very precise and while difficult, it always feels like the game knows that you can master it to get through. There were a few fights in Fallen Order where honestly, I could have flipped a coin and the game might have done things the other way for shits or giggles. Sekiro is a much harder game than Fallen Order, but the precision and way the movement feels is really good in comparison to Jedi Fallen Order, where you sometimes feel stuck in treacle or tar.

Even so, I'm still so buzzing about the ending to this game. If there is a game I want a sequel to, I can't think of one I want more than Fallen Order 2. All of the basics and means to make a really great follow up are there, plus one of the later characters I think is just great but we don't get a lot of time with them. Really want more of this franchise.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is the dodge roll always shit or can I upgrade it to not be shit?

There's a late game power where tapping A dodges in place matrix-style, but dodge roll is what it is.

Oo oo oo, I wanna talk this! I know it’s old sorry but I gotta jump in,

Upgrade dodge is awesome. It’s my favorite dodge move in any game. Once you have the timing down it is literally better than parrying. Because you can dodge anything.

Plus, watching Cal casually side step everything is just great. I like to imagine his face when he figures it out, he is just smirking at every stormtrooper, purge trooper, even the fucking inquisitors.

“Oh no another lightsaber, guess I better parry—nah just kidding. You’re so slow I’m going to step out of the way, get some coffee, then come back and cut off your arm before you’ve finished swinging.”

Edit: and it gives you force power back.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    This game is really giving me a new appreciation for stormtroopers.

Like apparently the empire has just been misusing them the whole time, the gun ones are still just mooks but give them a melee weapon or a rocket launcher and they can be pretty badass. Also it seems they enjoy building impromptu ninja-warrior-esque obstacle courses in their free time which is always a plus.

I have been playing at Jedi Master for the whole game (I am at the arena), and I’m honestly thinking of switching to Jedi Knight. Not because things are particularly hard, I have 1 or 2 shot every encounter since that damn frog in the first area, but because I don’t feel the combat is particularly compelling and its distracting me from the metroid prime/zelda/tomb raider aspects which is what I really dig about the game.

How terrible would that make me?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Like apparently the empire has just been misusing them the whole time, the gun ones are still just mooks but give them a melee weapon or a rocket launcher and they can be pretty badass. Also it seems they enjoy building impromptu ninja-warrior-esque obstacle courses in their free time which is always a plus.

I have been playing at Jedi Master for the whole game (I am at the arena), and I’m honestly thinking of switching to Jedi Knight. Not because things are particularly hard, I have 1 or 2 shot every encounter since that damn frog in the first area, but because I don’t feel the combat is particularly compelling and its distracting me from the metroid prime/zelda/tomb raider aspects which is what I really dig about the game.

I played the entire thing on Story Mode because I wanted to feel like an overpowered Jedi.
    I was not, but at least I didn't make Cal look like a Stormtrooper dying all over the place.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd just put the difficulty down if you're not enjoying the combat. There's no achievements or anything.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    I'd just put the difficulty down if you're not enjoying the combat. There's no achievements or anything.

Probably just will do that.

The combat just isn’t that good compared to dark souls, and it feels really wierd thematically to have like a 20 second parry war with a scout trooper sergeant or a goat or something.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Do whatever you want. Who cares?

Answer: absolutely nobody except maybe some asshats on reddit

So, in conclusion: nobody.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I played on Jedi Master. Other people Grand Master. Other people Story. It’s a game, and no one here is going to judge you for playing at your comfort level. And anyone who does care about that doesn’t matter.

• Options
    Yeah, I tried knight for a bit, it didn’t really feel much better.

I think I may just be getting tired of the game. It was pretty fun for the first 10 hours or so, but now its just a feeling of like... oh another bunch of storm troopers, oh another purge trooper, oh another puzzle room, oh another boss fight with patterns to memorize.

Like the combat isn’t in and of itself really good enough to be compelling, the story is good but moves along really slowly, there aren’t a lot side activities to break up the main gameplay loop...

• Options
    I must be weird because I really enjoyed the combat all the way through. I do think it needed some more depth and enemy variety was really lacking. But the core of it felt super solid and satisfying to me. Maybe I am just too much of a sucker for Star Wars.

• Options
    Maybe I am doing it wrong? But I felt like the parry timing was weird, and I felt like parry was the only way I was getting reliable hits on some enemies.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The parry timing is weird, yes. It's a cross between DS "wind up" and Sekiro "instant", and the parry window varies by difficulty as well as (feels like) enemy type. I'd really like it if it were crisper, but it does start to click in after a while. Or did for me, anyway.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's worth pushing through if you're at all interested in the story or characters. It actually does some cool stuff within the context of the greater Star Wars setting near and at the end.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    dporowski wrote: »
    The parry timing is weird, yes. It's a cross between DS "wind up" and Sekiro "instant", and the parry window varies by difficulty as well as (feels like) enemy type. I'd really like it if it were crisper, but it does start to click in after a while. Or did for me, anyway.

Yeah, I came from Sekiro to this and I was probably halfway through the game before parrying finally clicked for me.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Parry does a thing where if you let go of the block button you cannot immediately parry. In a lot of games I hold the block button, then quickly let go and parry. This makes it so if I just completely fail to see the move, I at least block it.

In this game that habit was getting me hit all the time because I would time it right but the game doesn't let you parry if you do that.

There's a short window when he's dropping his guard you have to wait out before you can parry again.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I felt like the parries in Surge 2 felt really good, you parry from a defensive block stance but you still have a recovery aspect after parrying and the directional aspect so it isn’t trivially easy (though you can use an implant slot to give you help with the directional aspect if that feels too hard).

So parry too early, get hit, parry the wrong way (usually not hard to figure out or you can use implant), get hit, but don’t see an attack and you still can be safe in block. You can also cancel attacks into blocks with an implant, it feels really good.

Its something I hope they look at and can pull from a bit for Fallen Order 2 if they ever do it.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Even just the Sekiro way is fine. Hold block, let go and press quickly to parry. Can still get hit as you let go but that should be a lighting fast movement so the chances are small.
    Sekiro had it's own way to punish parry mashing. The parry frames were continuously reduced if you kept mashing the block button within a short period. So you were rewarded for a timed parry with a large window, but if you missed a parry (say the attack is slower than expected) you still had time to get it right, you just had to be a bit more precise. If you mashed parry all the time you were trying to parry with only a few frames, so that was discouraged.

It was fairly elegant.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just got this last night due to reading this threads reaction to the game. So far I’m loving it and only on the 2nd world. I *think* I am finished here and need to head back to the ship but I’m not doing searching for all the hidden things and new things to open up with my new found power.

And yes, Parry for me has taken a bit of getting used to. I’ve played DS a long time ago, and the first Sekiro when it hit free on PS+. I think my problem is I’m playing Marvel’s Avengers as well, and their parry timing is tighter and closer to you actually being hit than this game is. To me this game is quite forgiving as I can just hit it when the windup is going and be successful. And this is at Jedi Master difficulty.

Targeting is pissing me off though so I’m basically not using it as it wants to target the wrong person and I can’t seem to get it to change to who I want.

Overall I’m enjoying the game very much as it’s hitting that Star Wars itch nicely. I do enjoy reflecting back laser shots at stormtroopers.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You aren't going to be able to access all the secrets on any given world until you've unlocked the new power on each of them.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You aren't going to be able to access all the secrets on any given world until you've unlocked the new power on each of them.

Oh I I know, but some of my red doors turned green so I’m going around to them then heading back to the ship. That is after the Hockey game is over.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Oh I I know, but some of my red doors turned green so I’m going around to them then heading back to the ship. That is after the Hockey game is over.

Feels like it was over in the first period :(

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Feels like it was over in the first period :(

Not when you’re a Bolts fan!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    So I’m at the part on the 2nd planet. I got a big ugly Jotaz to play with, then a Ram(goat?) a few troopers, some dumb wall runs and boom, my first Plague Trooper and a scout trooper. Jotaz was easy the first time. Screw the ram’s and run past them. Trying to fight off the one scout trooper then the plague was very frustrating as I kept getting hit once, then followed up by 3 more hits while on the ground/getting up and being dead. I was spamming O to dodge, and also trying to block. It took me way more tries than I want to say to get past these two troopers.

Jotaz? Was simple and easy the first time. When I tried to get fancy and parry him? I’d run into problems where I’d parry one, but somehow get hit by the second. Finally just ran past him to get done with it quicker.

I’m noticing, finally, that there is a lag/problem to the fluidity of trying to chain anything together. Dodge -> Parry -> seems to equal me dead as the parry doesn’t go off.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Ok some I’m on Zeffo for the 2nd time. And I’m facing off against
    The Second Sister
    and getting my ass handed to me. So, I’m running this on my PS4Pro, I remember I had it on 4K, and turn it down to Performance mode. Low and behold, the fight wasn’t so difficult now. I wish I had remembered that it was not in Performance mode earlier as some of the fights that I lose to missing a block/etc would have been easier. I can now block, dodge, parry almost when I want to.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It was nice of them to create this update for me specifically, I just wish I knew it was coming. I would have delayed my start, Kashyyyk ran really poorly, even on Series X.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm kinda wondering if they were debating giving it a proper next gen version and this was the compromise. Probably because they're making the next one in the same engine..

The 4k version didn't look too crazy to my eyes, but the smooth 60 frames makes a night and day difference. I was actually killing stuff on the hardest difficulty! I can dodge and parry!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Nice, I was waiting to do my New Game+ for this update to come out. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I wonder if the update is live or not? It doesn't have the Series S/X branding yet and the game doesn't sort by optimized for S/X yet. That could be something they're slow to update, but I just want to know. I got confused by Destiny 2 earlier, assuming the X update was out much earlier than it was. And Control Ultimate shows S/X branding now despite the release of those updates being February last they said.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    It's not a true Next Gen update I don't think? I got the update for sure.

I guess technically it could fall under the "Optimized for" banner but the way it reads it's improvements to the game when running in Backwards Compat mode only

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was curious about htat too - I definitely downloaded an 800Mb or so update this morning. I kind of hope it doesn't jump to the X/S filter because then I will have to move it to the internal drive which I really don't think that game needs at all.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I was curious about htat too - I definitely downloaded an 800Mb or so update this morning. I kind of hope it doesn't jump to the X/S filter because then I will have to move it to the internal drive which I really don't think that game needs at all.

You can still install Xbox One games on external storage in the Xbox Series, and run them too, after they get the Series patch.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

You can still install Xbox One games on external storage in the Xbox Series, and run them too, after they get the Series patch.

Right, but as far as I know anything that is Series S/X Optimized in the list requires to be on the internal though I have yet to see a game shift from one to the other. I have an external for all my older games.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    I believe both the next gen upgrades are out today for this, if anyone is in the mood for a replay

• Options
    For those with digital consoles and physical copies

• Options
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I’m sure it’s been asked but I want to talk about this fantastic game:

What do you want from the sequel?

For me, I’d like more substantial rewards than cosmetics, more Force powers/progression, and a deeper lightsaber stance system.

• Options
    Yeah the lack of a split/2 saber stance hurts. Definitely want deeper combo system, better dodge and parry, and overall just a tightening of mechanics. I think the exploration is pretty fun, maybe add some more fun jumping puzzles and maybe improve the parkour controls a bit.

Absolutely needs more robust character customization. Hell, let me make my own character and have me be Cal's Padawan

• Options
    What I'd want:
    - Delete all sliding sections, they were very stupid and controlled badly.
    - Better map + fast travel.
    - Really think about what Souls elements are appropriate to bring over and which aren't (hint: almost none of them fit this context).
    - Better rewards for exploration, Fallen Order seemed to take a perverse pleasure in giving you really granular, small change cosmetics that were ugly... except really dramatic ones for your droid and ship? Who cares what color the ship is, you see it maybe once every hour and a half of gameplay...
    - Really focus on squashing bugs this time, Fallen Order really feels like it's 75/80% percent finished.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    More ponchos!