As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Oh my god I did it, I did it on medium, I’m the leetest gamer that ever leeteed

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Lets go Prohass!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me how close I am to heading the game if I went through the story?

I played 36 hours so far and loving it, exploring everything I can, but also with SF6 out I want to try to get through the story and then come back later to clean things up.

Spoiler for what I just did
    Just did the Vader fight

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how close I am to heading the game if I went through the story?

I played 36 hours so far and loving it, exploring everything I can, but also with SF6 out I want to try to get through the story and then come back later to clean things up.

Spoiler for what I just did
    Just did the Vader fight

I don't know how meta spoilery you want me to be so I'll say about 80% of the way through, and then in the spoiler I'll tell you exactly how many chapters and individual missions to go. No plot spoilers, just numbers.
    There are six chapters and you just finished chapter 5. There are five main missions to go.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    it's really a bummer they didn't fix the bounty bug as I never got to do a single bounty and I've now beaten the game and diablo is now out soooooooo

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I assume there’s no achievement for sister taskes shop like there was for domas? I’ve seemingly bought everything and nothing popped so

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I assume there’s no achievement for sister taskes shop like there was for domas? I’ve seemingly bought everything and nothing popped so

That is correct. This also means that Pyrorite is one of the main collectibles that you need to 100%.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I’m missing one bounty puck after finishing the bounty quest line, I looked it up and apparently if you knock a bounty off an edge their puck can go missing. What the hell? What kind of system is that? Is there any achievements locked by that? I’ve also got the puck from the VR mini game/board game or whatever it’s called

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Yes, there is a trophy for doing the last bounty specifically (a certain character).

That's an interesting problem though and I don't know if there is a workaround for that.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    I’ve done the quest line tho, like if you’re talking about
    caij I’ve fought her, and boba showed up. I got that achievement.

But I ended up with one item still left in the store, and I’ve gotten the one from the board game

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Yeah there is no achievement for all of the pucks, just doing what you did and getting the first one. So you literally do not have to care.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Finally finished it, just an excellent example of exactly why we will always need writers and creative vision in games. Like the worlds are artistically great, the mechanics are relatively enjoyable, it’s Star Wars as hell, but in the end what made it an amazing experience was the writing, the story, and how it confidently it was told. Just solid stories, well told, focussed on characters and their fears and hopes, and you’ve got something that will stick in the memory

Prohass on
  • Options
    One thing I wish they explained more is
    exactly what was the deal with Tanalor. Like I get why Cal and company want it as a safe haven from the empire, but why was dagan so obsessed with it originally? Is it like strong with the force or something? And who were the invaders who forced him and the other jedi off the world and why?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    exactly what was the deal with Tanalor. Like I get why Cal and company want it as a safe haven from the empire, but why was dagan so obsessed with it originally? Is it like strong with the force or something? And who were the invaders who forced him and the other jedi off the world and why?
    I think it boils down to: it's his discovery, his achievement, his life's work. He did this, he found this, he presented it as a gift, and how dare they turn it down the ingrates.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I think it boils down to: it's his discovery, his achievement, his life's work. He did this, he found this, he presented it as a gift, and how dare they turn it down the ingrates.
    He got attached, obsessed. Its a dangerous thing for a Force sensitive to do.

Honestly being Force sensitive sounds more terrifying and burdensome than magical and awesome. All these rules and if you fuck up you get dragged into suffering and misery.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    As for the invaders, the subtitles identify them as the Nihil, who were a marauding army at war with the High Republic. Their gimmick was knowledge of secret hyperspace routes, so them being able to find Tanalor without a Compass is covered.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    As for the invaders, the subtitles identify them as the Nihil, who were a marauding army at war with the High Republic. Their gimmick was knowledge of secret hyperspace routes, so them being able to find Tanalor without a Compass is covered.
    I've only read the first High Republic book, Light of the Jedi, but it was pretty good. The first third is basically a disaster movie with lightsabers, which is a thing I didn't know I needed until I had it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They say in game that it's strong with the light side of the force, so they wanted to use it as a place to train the next generations of Jedi.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Beat the game, loved it, but now that I'm trying to clear up the bounties and extra stuff I ran into a bug. Got 11 bounties and now Caj won't give me new ones.

Don't have any more dialogue options for her. Seems to be a pretty common bug.

Awesome.

Also is there a way to figure out if I done all the rumors for the game?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You don't need to have her tell you where to go for the bounty to be there. Worst case if she's not talking you can look up a guide and go to the place and it will be there to fight.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Beat the game, loved it, but now that I'm trying to clear up the bounties and extra stuff I ran into a bug. Got 11 bounties and now Caj won't give me new ones.

Don't have any more dialogue options for her. Seems to be a pretty common bug.

Awesome.

Also is there a way to figure out if I done all the rumors for the game?

it's a bug, i was able to do exactly zero bounties aside from the built in one in the story. It has been promised to be in patch 5 but patch 5 never came out :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    On PC, at least, Patch 6 just dropped sometime in the last week or so.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    On console Caij started giving me bounties again after the patch, and I'm still right before going to the final area. I stopped playing, tbh.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    They fix up the PS5 version yet?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    There was another update today

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi/jedi-survivor/patch-notes

idk how much it'll help you. I'm just trying to work up the interest in doing the last fight now:U

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well, there was a deal at Target last week where I coulda got it for $40, but I was still apprehensive about it's ... technical issues. I'll wait on the next deal.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    They fix up the PS5 version yet?

Been running the PS5 since launch and it's been fine. I remember there was that bounty bug but they fixed that a few weeks ago. But I hadn't encountered that when I played. Ran all the bounties without issue.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Well, there was a deal at Target last week where I coulda got it for $40, but I was still apprehensive about it's ... technical issues. I'll wait on the next deal.

I picked this up last week for PC and I hadn't heard about the technical issues beforehand. For the first half of the story it was great - smooth performance, no stuttering or input lag, great gameplay. Then, after a certain point in the game a couple days ago I've run into massive stuttering issues. To the point now where it's pretty much unplayable unless I can resolve them.

Now I'm going through a bunch of steps like changing graphics settings, setting CPU priority/cores, even installing mod pak files that adjust the in-game engine configuration to see if it addresses the issue. So far I haven't hit on anything that has cleanly solved the problem, and it's pretty frustrating.

Up to this point the game has been fantastic and I would've recommended it. Now, I'm not so sure I would tell anyone to pick it up given the technical issues are widespread across all platforms and have been widely known for nearly half a year now, and still haven't been resolved.

From a troubleshooting perspective it's pretty obvious what the cause of the main stuttering issue is, too, because it only happens when something new appears on the screen and the game is loading it for the first time. So if you are getting jumped by a mob that is appearing for the first time, or you encounter a big boss that you need to fight, then be prepared for a massive stutterfest while the game loads what it needs to load, in the meantime you're getting your ass handed to you the entire time in a game that requires precise timing and reflexes for its combat.

So yeah. I wouldn't recommend unless they actually fix this crap.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

I picked this up last week for PC and I hadn't heard about the technical issues beforehand. For the first half of the story it was great - smooth performance, no stuttering or input lag, great gameplay. Then, after a certain point in the game a couple days ago I've run into massive stuttering issues. To the point now where it's pretty much unplayable unless I can resolve them.

Now I'm going through a bunch of steps like changing graphics settings, setting CPU priority/cores, even installing mod pak files that adjust the in-game engine configuration to see if it addresses the issue. So far I haven't hit on anything that has cleanly solved the problem, and it's pretty frustrating.

Up to this point the game has been fantastic and I would've recommended it. Now, I'm not so sure I would tell anyone to pick it up given the technical issues are widespread across all platforms and have been widely known for nearly half a year now, and still haven't been resolved.

From a troubleshooting perspective it's pretty obvious what the cause of the main stuttering issue is, too, because it only happens when something new appears on the screen and the game is loading it for the first time. So if you are getting jumped by a mob that is appearing for the first time, or you encounter a big boss that you need to fight, then be prepared for a massive stutterfest while the game loads what it needs to load, in the meantime you're getting your ass handed to you the entire time in a game that requires precise timing and reflexes for its combat.

So yeah. I wouldn't recommend unless they actually fix this crap.

Do you have it installed on an hdd or ssd? The recommended specs are an ssd. I'm wondering if it's not a bug but just a streaming data issue with the hdd being too slow. A friend of mine ran into that with Starfield until he moved it to an ssd and I'm curios if it's the same here.

I've heard that Alan Wake 2 on PC is doing the same thing, and I wonder if we're just at a point where it's a generational technology switch, like when having a 3d graphics card became a required thing instead of just an add on card for high end rigs.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately it's on an SSD. I am running a 4070, too.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Then that's just 100% bad programming, and I am totally in your corner. They need to fix that shit.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Then that's just 100% bad programming, and I am totally in your corner. They need to fix that shit.

Yeah the game is just straight up unplayable now. There's too much stuttering every time something "new" happens.

I'm going to look into whether I can get a refund. This is absurd.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Jedi Survivor is overall terribly optimised.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 7
    Got a PS5 for Xmas and finally got to play (and complete) this, so full spoilers
    Thought it was a great story for the most part, the two games would make for some fantastic film adaptations.

One complaint I had was that Bode was an obvious traitor from the moment the game starts. The new guy, eager to help, has a child who is easy collaterial for making Bode do what you want. I did not expect him to be a Jedi but every interaction was basically waiting for the penny to drop. His first discussion about his daughter I honestly thought she was dead, I don't know if that was the intent and it was changed, but he just very obviously a double agent for someone, such that it was frustrating that the Hidden path took him in so readily. I get trusting Cal and Greez, but two very powerful Jedi masters should have detected him or his intent and conflict even if Cal didn't. Same with Master Cordova not just whipping the gun out of Bode's hands. The other downside is that because they were setting Bode up as the main villain I felt like Dagen and Rayvis were ultimately underserved as villains. Dagen especially, it feels like there is a lot from that era and his interaction with Santari Khri is unexplored including how the Nihil found their way there and why the High Republic gave up on returning and I'm not sure where they'd explore that as it doesn't seem like it'd fit in a third game. I didn't quite get why he left Tanalore since it seemed to be his choice and why he was so obsessed with it since it doesn't seem to be special outside of it's difficulty to access. I spent a long time doing all the side missions and collectibles to get as powerful as possible before further the narrative so there might be points I missed or forgot. It does make me question the Jedi existing since they seem to make the worst possible choices in each era.

The cantina is a neat idea to gather up allies and grow throughout the game, I love that kind of stuff, and I think the smaller number of bigger planets works well. The map remains really hard to navigate and some collectibles it could do a better job of explaining you can't get it at this point. There is one big elevator near the start of Koboh that even post game I'm not 100% if it will ever be active or not as there doesn't seem any way to get up that high normally.

The gameplay remains pretty frustrating, the customization is great (windswept Cal is canon Cal), but the amount of fails I had due to the navigation just not working as it's meant to, including Cal just straight up falling off climbable walls at some points, and boss fights where they all just ignore your abilities completely or have huge defensive barriers before you can actually injure them. When you get to monsters like the Spawn of Ogogo where there's general tips to bring in other enemies to fight him for you because he will just be on you constantly and do massive damage, it's really frustrating more than fun and victory feels like luck instead of using your abilities because a bunch of them just are ineffective. I think there's a difference between learning a boss's pattern and them just flat out negating everything you can do and having instant kill moveson top. The fight with the Oggdo is the peak of this frustration, the ability to fight and navigate cannot keep up with an enemy who has a load of health, can't be affected by the force (maybe for a nano second with force crush) and wipes out even a late game, nearly-all-upgrades, health bar in a few hits. It would be fine if dodging worked evenly but it just doesn't.

And as others have said it's really badly optimized. So much lag in some areas and cutscenes.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited January 8
    Got a PS5 for Xmas and finally got to play (and complete) this, so full spoilers
    Thought it was a great story for the most part, the two games would make for some fantastic film adaptations.

One complaint I had was that Bode was an obvious traitor from the moment the game starts. The new guy, eager to help, has a child who is easy collaterial for making Bode do what you want. I did not expect him to be a Jedi but every interaction was basically waiting for the penny to drop. His first discussion about his daughter I honestly thought she was dead, I don't know if that was the intent and it was changed, but he just very obviously a double agent for someone, such that it was frustrating that the Hidden path took him in so readily. I get trusting Cal and Greez, but two very powerful Jedi masters should have detected him or his intent and conflict even if Cal didn't. Same with Master Cordova not just whipping the gun out of Bode's hands. The other downside is that because they were setting Bode up as the main villain I felt like Dagen and Rayvis were ultimately underserved as villains. Dagen especially, it feels like there is a lot from that era and his interaction with Santari Khri is unexplored including how the Nihil found their way there and why the High Republic gave up on returning and I'm not sure where they'd explore that as it doesn't seem like it'd fit in a third game. I didn't quite get why he left Tanalore since it seemed to be his choice and why he was so obsessed with it since it doesn't seem to be special outside of it's difficulty to access. I spent a long time doing all the side missions and collectibles to get as powerful as possible before further the narrative so there might be points I missed or forgot. It does make me question the Jedi existing since they seem to make the worst possible choices in each era.

The cantina is a neat idea to gather up allies and grow throughout the game, I love that kind of stuff, and I think the smaller number of bigger planets works well. The map remains really hard to navigate and some collectibles it could do a better job of explaining you can't get it at this point. There is one big elevator near the start of Koboh that even post game I'm not 100% if it will ever be active or not as there doesn't seem any way to get up that high normally.

The gameplay remains pretty frustrating, the customization is great (windswept Cal is canon Cal), but the amount of fails I had due to the navigation just not working as it's meant to, including Cal just straight up falling off climbable walls at some points, and boss fights where they all just ignore your abilities completely or have huge defensive barriers before you can actually injure them. When you get to monsters like the Spawn of Ogogo where there's general tips to bring in other enemies to fight him for you because he will just be on you constantly and do massive damage, it's really frustrating more than fun and victory feels like luck instead of using your abilities because a bunch of them just are ineffective. I think there's a difference between learning a boss's pattern and them just flat out negating everything you can do and having instant kill moveson top. The fight with the Oggdo is the peak of this frustration, the ability to fight and navigate cannot keep up with an enemy who has a load of health, can't be affected by the force (maybe for a nano second with force crush) and wipes out even a late game, nearly-all-upgrades, health bar in a few hits. It would be fine if dodging worked evenly but it just doesn't.

And as others have said it's really badly optimized. So much lag in some areas and cutscenes.

You did miss or forget some things, as you surmised. Hopefully this helps a bit.
    Tanalor
    This planet is naturally very strong in the force, making it an ideal place for a Jedi Temple and a place to train younglings, being secreted away from the rest of the galaxy. This is why Dagan wanted it so much, which, when denied, turned to obsession, which leads to the dark side. That's all it takes, as demonstrated in the canon movies and in Bode as well. It's that fast, and that easy.

The Nihil travel via their own mysterious method of faster-than-light travel they call the Path. This is how they skipped the treacherous path into Tanalor. It isn't even closed to them.

The Jedi Council were uneasy about having a Jedi Temple so far out in the Outer Rim, where there are numerous security threats, including the Nihl Marauders who operate close by that area. Dagann had to convince a big wig to even visit the planet, and then was deeply unlucky because as they were discussing whether to setup a temple there, the Nihl attacked. As a result they big wigs in the Jedi Council decided against it and gave the order to evacuate and abandon Tanalor, which set Dagan down the dark side path as per above. This is also why he was forced off the planet, and later after Kri took him down lost access to the compasses that let you get back. Hence why he's trying to find it again.

Bode
    Bode is an ex Republic Intelligence operative, back when he was a Jedi. He would presumably have been trained in how to hide his Force powers from others, as that's a bit of a giveaway. All Jedi were associated with the Republic at the time, it's like a big sign on you saying "Hello I am clearly a spy".

This is what allowed him to lay low for so long, until an Empire spymaster with knowledge of his past caught up to him. This is because the Imperial Intelligence was reorganized out of the Republic Intelligence, since the Emperor took over the Republic itself. He was lucky to hide that long, really, it's a credit to his skills.

This isn't hidden or missed, but in the cutscenes where he shoots Cordova the gun is right up against Cordova's chest, whose arms are apart and nowhere near the gun. Almost every single time a Jedi uses their powers in this universe they need to make gestures with their hands. I am not sure it's necessary, but it seems to be how they train themselves. So it's like tying up a wizards hands and binding their mouth. No spells.
    Bode also had his finger on the trigger and if pulled into Cordova, it would have pulled the trigger. It was right up against his chest. That's pretty bad. It's just not a situation you want to fuck with, it was inches away.

Vader could pull the gun out of Han's hands because he's Anakin, an unparalleled genius, and he also had just shown blaster shots don't work on him anyway so it wouldn't matter if it went off, and Han was entirely over the other side of the room. Humongous amount of space to react if something goes wrong. Cordova isn't all powerful or anything, he's just a standard Jedi Master. They aren't gods. Cere was considerably stronger than him, he's more or less an archaeologist as far as Jedi go. Cere fought Vader and didn't get instantly murdered, but managed to hold him off.

Yeah its a bit of a handwave, and I can buy not being happy with it, but I thought it made sense.

As for knowing he's gonna betray Cal yeah that's obvious as hell, but after seeing the whole story I think that was deliberate. Very little else in the story is that obvious, and it completely sets up the misdirection of hey he's actually a Jedi, with the same kind of background as Cal, becomes Cal's best friend, and thus you get the narrative pay off of Cal needing to take down his own new best friend when he goes Dark Side. He even helps you take down Dagan and is deeply important in the finish of that fight.

We are genre savvy, but Cal's certainly not. Bode throws himself into danger to help them in his first mission, and is completely loyal since. I think it's fair to still be unsatisfied, but I quite liked the "twist" of the "oh yeah obviously he's gonna betray me I know how stories work" into "wait I didn't expect that way".

Can't help you with the gameplay stuff, it was all fine to me. It has some jank but it's much better than the previous game. Force parry works on every attack including all of Oggdo's (you do need Force Push lvl 3 for it to affect him though), charged blast shots stagger him, but he's also completely optional and meant to be really brutal. He's a meme and injoke towards the bullshit enemies in the previous game. I wouldn't say the game is perfectly balanced, but it's nowhere near as bad as Fallen Order. I think it was pretty well put together. I felt quite strong by the end. I get hating that stuff but again, I think that's personal preference. Nothing wrong with hating it. It's certainly a very brave decision to acknowledge and repeat past mistakes with a nod and a wink. I'm not sure I'd do it. But I got a laugh out of the reward, in the end.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcdKEy-aJ6o&t=165s

So this looks really good! First Ubisoft game I'm really excited for in a very long time.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just wish it wasn't stuck on Ubisoft's launcher thing

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So at least 2 somewhat expected cameos (based on the timeline) spoiled in that trailer.

It's an Ubi game...so pre-order for full price, or wait 2 months and get it half off?

Would be nice if they could give some info on PC specs to people pre-ordering.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 9
    Looks cool. And (currently) a good release time. So long as Metaphor doesn't release too close to it I can see myself grabbing it day 1.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    It's an Ubi game...so pre-order for full price, or wait 2 months and get it half off?

Two months is way too long to wait. It'll be 40% off within a month, tops.