As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! FINE I'LL CHANGE THE TITLE NEW STUFF BLADE IS BACK

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Probably a little too political for them right now, after all
    They literally have a book where Captain America says it is an unjust war and deserts to save Vietnamese civilians and Iron Man is reviled by his peers for deploying with the military! It makes no sense!

(Spider-Man: Life Story is very good)

Their version of Civil War is still mostly "everyone is an idiot", from what I saw.
    Eh not really

It works a lot better, IMO, because it is something that has built over decades and the initial flashpoint of Steve going AWOL and Tony having to bring him in is a lot more buyable as a source of serious conflict between former friends

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    also history of the marvel universe sounds like it suuuuuuuuucks
    I was into it when it was announced cause Javier Rodriguez kicks ass and I like Waid like 70% of the time

But christ it is genuinely just dry ass wiki narration for 6 issues

Who thought that would be compelling???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    I was into it when it was announced cause Javier Rodriguez kicks ass and I like Waid like 70% of the time

i dunno, but he's currently writing x-men

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

i dunno, but he's currently writing x-men

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So false alarm on Ms. Marvel, folks. Kamala's back on Earth and it looks like that last arc being so dull might have been an outlier. The book feels like Ms. Marvel again
    I still think erasing her parents' memories was dumb, but I'm willing to see how it plays out. Hope it's temporary, but reversing it at this point might be dumber, so eh

Also it is an interesting parallel that Ahmed had both Kamala's and Miles's parents meet with them in the same month, one set of parents announcing new life and the other announcing impending death

Interested to see if the new suit is an intentional Symbiote Spidey nod, maybe Kamala will get her own Venom-type villain out of it?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    personally I'm really liking History of the Marvel Universe, though a large part of that is Javier Rodriguez' art

• Options
    Ed Brisson did an interview about Ghost Rider and I think I'm gonna give this book a shot:
    The thing that I like about Danny -- and while this was also true of Johnny, you saw it more in Danny -- is how much he absolutely hates being the Ghost Rider. He's tried everything to rid himself of the curse and nothing worked. Well almost nothing. He has managed to rid himself of the curse, yet always finds himself craving it again.

Danny has an addictive personality, coupled with some anger issues, and that's something that we'll be exploring pretty heavily in the series. We're trying to evolve who Danny is and what he's all about.

[...]

This book is about both of them. I know some folks got the impression that it's a book about Danny because he was on the cover that first dropped, but rest assured that this is equally a Johnny Blaze book.

Johnny has his own journey ahead of him. He's recently seized control of Hell and is doing his best to keep the place under control -- but he's new to management and like every new manager, no one likes him. Demons are conspiring against him while Mephisto laughs from his jail cell in Las Vegas.

[...]

The relationship between the brothers is going to be the centerpiece to the book. Even when they've worked together, they've always been at each other's throats.

Johnny is trying to contain Hell breaking open and vomiting demons on earth, Danny just wants to leave it all behind and focus on running his bar, The Fadeaway.

And, surprising no one, Aaron Kuder draws a really fuckin good Ghost Rider
    1p8s3cisozns.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Looks like whatever's happening soon to Green Lantern is spreading to Captain Marvel.
    KlMmDynh.jpg
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #12
    Writer: KELLY THOMPSON
    Penciller: LEE GARBETT
    Cover: MARK BROOKS
    CAPTAIN MARVEL VERSUS THE AVENGERS! THE LAST AVENGER!
    Captain Marvel has fought off alien hordes. Rescued X-Men. Punched Thanos in the face. Literally saved the world. She now faces her greatest challenge: kill the Avengers. Has one of the world’s most powerful heroes gone dark? But why? And what does this mean for Carol... for the world? Life on Earth will never be the same. Kelly Thompson teams up with Eisner-nominated artist Lee Garbett for a brand-new arc -- and a bold new direction!

RojXY9ph.jpg

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That's a sick fuckin' outfit.

• Options
    That is certainly a direction to go with your most prominent female hero

I am sure it is temporary but still, nah, I'm cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm not opposed to the concept, but something about the emphasis on "DARK Captain Marvel" makes the whole thing feel like the tritest thing ever.

• Options
    It is a good design, credit where credit is due

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    as much more important ksd and beyond carol is, i miss her weirdo adventures from the brian reed run more and more as i see how she's been used

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    as much more important ksd and beyond carol is, i miss her weirdo adventures from the brian reed run more and more as i see how she's been used
    I really liked the immediate post SW run where she got Alpha Flight of all folks as a supporting cast and just got up to weird space shit

Unfortunately that lasted like 6 issues before the creative team went back to TV work and here we are

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm not opposed to the concept, but something about the emphasis on "DARK Captain Marvel" makes the whole thing feel like the tritest thing ever.

I think they should have called it "captain marvel dark," it's much classier

• Options
    I really liked the immediate post SW run where she got Alpha Flight of all folks as a supporting cast and just got up to weird space shit

Unfortunately that lasted like 6 issues before the creative team went back to TV work and here we are

was that the fazekas and butters run that i didn't realize actually happened?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

was that the fazekas and butters run that i didn't realize actually happened?
    Yup! It had Kris Anka on art and was great and then whoops it was gone

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    for some reason i just assumed they never got a chance to do it. i am glad they are still getting work because reaper owns.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    finally, the carol danvers the youtube community wants to see

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Wow this is shocking.

I cant believe the Avengers have gone evil.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I like a lot of these type of things (Grand Design, anything Hickman), but even I opted out of History after 1 issue. The other things all at least had a storyline flowing through it or some other connective tissue. This was just "This happened. Oh and that happened. And that happened."

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    She already killed Tony Stark in the last 5 years!

• Options
    Nah just put him in a mega coma

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nah just put him in a mega coma

He was absolutely comic book dead.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I mean in the sense that comic book dead is a pretty meaningless state you bounce back from in like two story arcs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

You know she was still doing that Alpha Flight stuff after Fazekas and Butters left, right? Christos Gage did the short CW2 tie-in run, then Margaret Stohl did 14 issues, still doing Alpha Flight stuff.

• Options

You know she was still doing that Alpha Flight stuff after Fazekas and Butters left, right? Christos Gage did the short CW2 tie-in run, then Margaret Stohl did 14 issues, still doing Alpha Flight stuff.
    Yes but I do not think it is nearly as good as it was with Fazekas and Butters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean in the sense that comic book dead is a pretty meaningless state you bounce back from in like two story arcs

Right, but my point is that in universe, she has already gone dark and villainous extremely recently.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Right, but my point is that in universe, she has already gone dark and villainous extremely recently.
    Eh, it wasn't intentional and she really regretted it and felt bad

Which doesn't work in real life but in comic book world means you haven't really made the jump to villain

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I never saw any regret or feeling bad, but I will take your word for it. Heck, she could barely stomach an apology to Ms. Marvel, from what I remember.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I think they should have called it "captain marvel dark," it's much classier

the captain marvel who laughs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    To be fair wrt that Spider-Man thing, didn't the deal come around because of fan pressure in the wake of the hack, anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would bet money that "Captain Marvel maybe goes evil" by Kelly Thompson will be a much better story than "Captain Marvel goes Minority Report cop" at least

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Stop making spiderman movies

Stop making MCU movies

Make new things

Sir please do not resist the security personnel as they remove you from this building

Who could resist such handsome security personnel?!?

• Options
    Also making the "Siancong War" is a fucking cop-out when Stan Lee was writing comics about Flash being in 'Nam in the 60s while it was still going

Just like how making Cap fight explicitly not-Nazi Hydra in Captain America was a cop-out when Cap was created as an explicitly anti-Nazi character

Marvel's initial explosion of fame and success happened because they weren't afraid to tackle real world events and politics in their comics. Now they're just another pathetic corporate machine desperate to avoid offending any white supremacists who buy their comics while still sidelining minority, LGBTQ etc creators. Sad, is what it is.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I guess it's been a decade since Dark Reign. Tho I guess that was evil Ms.Marvel, gotta do a new one now that she's a captain I guess?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, they are owned by the biggest entertainment conglomerate in the world, pretty much, and the MCU has been far more effective at sanding off real world politics than the comics have, even given the comics' recent push to do stuff like, well, Secret Empire. I think that if you put this most recent decision in a vacuum, it probably makes a bunch of sense, in that they're probably tired of having to say, "well Frank Castle fought in THIS war now, just go with it," and this means they no longer have to retcon it.

But!

You can't take this decision in a vacuum, and even if it unintentionally fits a pattern, it still fits a pattern. There are obviously exceptions; plenty of people working on Marvel comics are making challenging comics that fully engage with current events and the history of this country. But they also publish stories like Secret Empire, using off-brand Nazis that have marketable logos you can slap on merchandise. And you can also take money from weapons manufacturers until everyone yells at you, I guess.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I guess it's been a decade since Dark Reign. Tho I guess that was evil Ms.Marvel, gotta do a new one now that she's a captain I guess?

It's been a while, but Dark Reign Ms. Marvel was Moonstone in disguise, no? At least, she was on the Thunderbolts team during Dark Reign.

• Options
    I don't mind Marvel making challenging comics which attract criticism, that's what they should be doing. What I don't like is when they make decisions that are just the safest, most fence-sitting cautious ones they could. Have an opinion on Vietnam? Whoa someone might disagree with us! Let's make a not-Vietnam that we can use to tell stories with a Vietnam aesthetic without ever having to take responsibility for treating the historic material with any respect or weight!

Next their going to make Magneto a made up ethnicity of semitic people who were subject to a genocide in Not-WWII by the Mazis or something. Because who needs reality when you can just treat everything with the same kind of pathetic juvenile irreverence?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think finding in text reasons to deal with the fact these characters are still operating/don't age/or are tied to increasingly distant history is supremely unnecessary. Like we all get it, it's fiction. The Simpsons don't age and neither does Tony Stark.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.