As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I wonder if these people realize that in asking for 19 line item repairs after delaying and extending the escrow, I'm going to do it a cheaply and haphazardly as possible.

They know that right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    That's obnoxious. We asked for the two biggest things on our inspection list (roof and deck repairs). Little things (sink air gaps, dryer vent lines, door misalignments, etc) were not mentioned. Cleaning sinks? No way... Real Estate sales are as-is, and keys to be delivered in a broom-swept clean state.

• Options
    There was a dryer vent issue I do have to fix, which I didn't realize it was wrong but I'm going to make that right.

I'd just be a lot less angry about it if that wasn't buried in an 88 page inspection report...late, with an under asking bid, after doubling the length of the escrow and a closing cost credit.

I like to ART
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Someone should invent grass that grows as good as the damn weeds do when there is no rain.

I have a clover/fescue mix lawn and it's going gangbusters. Took a bit to establish, but pretty low maintenance now.
    https://ptlawnseed.com/collections/eco-and-alternative-lawns

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    There was a dryer vent issue I do have to fix, which I didn't realize it was wrong but I'm going to make that right.

I'd just be a lot less angry about it if that wasn't buried in an 88 page inspection report...late, with an under asking bid, after doubling the length of the escrow and a closing cost credit.

You can fix what you want to fix that's required by law, then go "I won't fix any of that, but I'll give you $500 back" and call it a day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

You can fix what you want to fix that's required by law, then go "I won't fix any of that, but I'll give you $500 back" and call it a day.

yeah, the vent thing I have to and can do it for way less than what the would get quoted, same with the other stuff I agreed to. Adding an cover to an exterior outlet, putting a (very ugly) fire catch on the chimney, *rolls eyes* cleaning the fucking bathroom faucet.

They oddly didn't mention the hole in the back of one of my closets.

I like to ART
  • Options
    They probably didn't even look in the closets for more than half a second.

total up how much it'd cost to do then give them 50% of it in a concession on the price and call it a day and let them walk away from the house if those are all important things they think they need

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    They probably didn't even look in the closets for more than half a second.

total up how much it'd cost to do then give them 50% of it in a concession on the price and call it a day and let them walk away from the house if those are all important things they think they need

I probably should have done that but I know too many contractors so I'm cutting a hole in my roof tonight and a roofer is coming to finish the vent on Saturday.

I like to ART
  • Options
    cleaning the faucet made me roll my eyes

you don't ask for those thing seriously unless you're trying to bully the seller to do the less insane things on your honey-do list

• Options
    Well they also wanted us to run a new 30ft sewer line because the old one is clay, the guy ran a snake camera up the whole thing which none of us had ever seen an inspector do before.

Lot of weird shit here.

I like to ART
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Both my mother and I had sewer scopes done when buying each of our houses, so it's not too unusual. Asking the seller to replace the pipe is crazy though.

• Options
    HA, they pushed back on the sewer asking for a 2500 credit.

I responded back with "sure but I'm not touching any of the shit I said I was going to"

I like to ART
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    I'll say that I had a clay sewer pipe. It cracked, and the trees around it liked that very much.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Just to be clear - did said scoping reveal a problem with your sewer pipe? Clay is a totally valid material for it, though it's true you can eventually have root issues. Every material has its benefits and drawbacks.

If they want money just because they 'don't like' clay or whatever, it's time to tell them to pound sand and deal with it, or walk. They don't get to demand replacement of functional systems because their personal preferences lie in a different direction... totally unreasonable request unless there's a defined problem that exists or is imminent.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    God I wiish I had done a snake of my house before I bought, or even a hydrostatic test(which would likely have shown my plumbing draining into the soiler faster than the hose was filling), and at least gotten a price reduction assuming they wouldn't want to do the repair.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question (though possibly not from someone who works inside all day). Are the tall things weeds? Because if so, my yard is, like, 75% weed.
    cla5r7b4vlpj.jpg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    This is a dumb question (though possibly not from someone who works inside all day). Are the tall things weeds? Because if so, my yard is, like, 75% weed.
    cla5r7b4vlpj.jpg

Looks like wild grass.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Yep, that's Bahiagrass.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hmm. I wonder if it was planted on purpose for drought tolerance. Aside from looking weird if it gets too long, would there be any reason to try getting rid of it?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Well, my parent's house finally got on the market. After reviewing the realtor photos, I'd like to invite you to play a game called "spot the Photoshop".
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Milton/61-Hylebos-Ave-98354/home/366023

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Hmm. I wonder if it was planted on purpose for drought tolerance. Aside from looking weird if it gets too long, would there be any reason to try getting rid of it?

If it gets long, it just goes to seed. No reason to get rid of it. I'm not a...............herbologist...........but if you cut it while it's long, it should theoretically reseed your lawn.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Well, my parent's house finally got on the market. After reviewing the realtor photos, I'd like to invite you to play a game called "spot the Photoshop".

lol.

i thought it was just a joke about someone moving the HDR slider to radioactive but then an episode of reboot broke out in the living room.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So Wisconsin went through second summer last week, and I discovered that my AC stopped blowing cold air sometime between Friday and Saturday. Doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on at all. YAY! The AC and furnace were installed by a previous owner in '93, so I suppose I should have expected this but really not where I wanted to spend idk, $3-4k. Now debating doing the AC and furnace now, or waiting till spring and then doing both, or just the AC in spring... Fall has shown up now, so it's not critical to get the AC back till idk, May.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So Wisconsin went through second summer last week, and I discovered that my AC stopped blowing cold air sometime between Friday and Saturday. Doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on at all. YAY! The AC and furnace were installed by a previous owner in '93, so I suppose I should have expected this but really not where I wanted to spend idk, $3-4k. Now debating doing the AC and furnace now, or waiting till spring and then doing both, or just the AC in spring... Fall has shown up now, so it's not critical to get the AC back till idk, May.

Get an HVAC technician to evaluate your entire system (you should be having your annual furnace maintenance cycle now anyways) and get a ballpark figure on how much life is left in the furnace (25 years is hitting EOL for most units.) If they say it's got 5+, then I'd go with just replacing the AC in spring. If it's less than 5, or it's become significantly inefficient, then plan for a full overhaul come spring. If the furnace is failing, then consider replacing now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    You could just have a blown capacitor or fuse.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

lol.

i thought it was just a joke about someone moving the HDR slider to radioactive but then an episode of reboot broke out in the living room.

It is an interesting concept, digital house dressing. I'm sure it saves time and money versus that shitty furniture that realtors use to show houses. At least it gives an idea of what the space looks like furnished. I do love how that pool table in the basement is unusable from 3 sides though, so there are certainly some issues with the process.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Next step is 'shopping in better appliances and covering cracks in the wall with artwork.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The digitized furniture and drapes were doing okay for me until I hit Pink Princess Bed. That just...no it does not work in that room and I laughed out loud.

Also, the front facade of their house is just adorable!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Since the fence job didn't fill the 20 yard dumpster I rented, I decided to do some more stuff. Tore all the terrible carpet out of our loft and got rid of a stupid huge useless box at the top of the stairs. Going to re-carpet it, put in a railing, and a built-in bookcase where that hole is. Also repaint the awful green that's been there since we bought it.

WExhyWN.jpg

Also, goodbye broken, dented old back door, hello new door.

qIjagq1.jpg

Now it's full.

YQBoQM7.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You could just have a blown capacitor or fuse.
    This. $20 part if you can DIY, ~$250 service call if not. It's by far the most likely fault if you're not getting A/C because the compressor won't start. Followed by burnt out compressor motor (or motor and cap). After that come the big bill causes.

That said; a 25+ year old system is definitely living on borrowed time at this point.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ehh, you should be able to get another decade out of it with some basic replacement parts. Swapping out the capacitor on an AC is super easy. It's like 5 screws and some blade connectors.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I used to live really close to there! About a mile, according to google maps

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Awesome. Saw a house mouse outside when taking the dog out.

It ran under the gutter downspout and the dog and i did our best, but it escaped us.

We are very antirodent so what's the best bet, call an exterminator?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It ran under the gutter downspout and the dog and i did our best, but it escaped us.

Get a cat. Or set some traps. I recommend peanut butter as bait. They have to work for it a bit. There's mice everywhere, so unless you have a lot of them getting into your house than an exterminator isn't going to fix anything long term.

Now that you've seen one though, make sure all your crawl spaces have screens in good repair over them, there aren't any holes in the siding that you can see, and go around the inside of the house looking for any access holes.

My wife just had a mouse die on the cabin air filter in the car. "honey the car smells funny". I knew exactly what that smell was from mice getting into my old jeeps and burning out the blower motors with nesting material. They can squeeze through the smallest spaces, it's impressive.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    giphy.gif

J9MbecFl.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Get a cat. Or set some traps. I recommend peanut butter as bait. They have to work for it a bit. There's mice everywhere, so unless you have a lot of them getting into your house than an exterminator isn't going to fix anything long term.

Now that you've seen one though, make sure all your crawl spaces have screens in good repair over them, there aren't any holes in the siding that you can see, and go around the inside of the house looking for any access holes.

My wife just had a mouse die on the cabin air filter in the car. "honey the car smells funny". I knew exactly what that smell was from mice getting into my old jeeps and burning out the blower motors with nesting material. They can squeeze through the smallest spaces, it's impressive.

We had exterminators our a few times because we saw droppings. All they did was put a dozen or so peanut butter traps around the crawl space and look for holes in siding and other areas they could be getting in.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Rats can get through holes the size of a quarter. I'd hazard a guess that mice can get through something smaller, so I'd close up anything larger than a dime size.

Caulk is your friend.

Also, beyond your control, but any feral/outdoor cats in the neighborhood help a lot.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    You can plug mouse entries with copper wool. Like steel wool but won't rust if it gets wet or damp.

Put traps around perimeter of rooms but in the case of glue traps be wary that they will only really run afoul of them when they are fleeing the presence of you or the dog. Kill traps can be very hit or miss as well.

Pipe chases are a huge vector for them once they find a way in so you can keep them off of other levels sometimes by making sure they can't scurry up radiator pipes and the like

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Rats can get through holes the size of a quarter. I'd hazard a guess that mice can get through something smaller, so I'd close up anything larger than a dime size.

Caulk is your friend.

Also, beyond your control, but any feral/outdoor cats in the neighborhood help a lot.

A health inspector told us that a mouse can get through a gap the width of a pencil, so if there are any gaps of that size under doors they are getting in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've gotten to the point where I simply accept the inevitability that mice will get in. I get one or two every year in the fall. Thankfully I've found a good spot for a trap, gets em every time. I think the trick is to kill them before they establish a nest.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.