As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Had a bat in the house the other night. The cat we had put in the bathroom had knocked the dryer vent off, bat climbed in and the cat ignored it. Our normal house cat then caught the bat and hid under the bed with it. That made for a fun game of get the bat out from under the bed while the cat acts like a moron.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Rats can get through holes the size of a quarter. I'd hazard a guess that mice can get through something smaller, so I'd close up anything larger than a dime size.

Caulk is your friend.

Also, beyond your control, but any feral/outdoor cats in the neighborhood help a lot.

A health inspector told us that a mouse can get through a gap the width of a pencil, so if there are any gaps of that size under doors they are getting in.

Your classic #2 pencil sounds a little small for a full grown mouse, but the restricting measurement on rodents like rats and mice is the width of their skull. That's the only structure they have that they can't contort or make any smaller than it already it. So yeah, dime size is all the mouse needs.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Rats can get through holes the size of a quarter. I'd hazard a guess that mice can get through something smaller, so I'd close up anything larger than a dime size.

Caulk is your friend.

Also, beyond your control, but any feral/outdoor cats in the neighborhood help a lot.

A health inspector told us that a mouse can get through a gap the width of a pencil, so if there are any gaps of that size under doors they are getting in.

You guys are not making it better! :)

Yeah it is really crazy what they can squeeze into/under. Like I know there's no 100% solution but I want them to really weigh the pros and cons about moving in.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Caulk is your friend.

Your classic #2 pencil sounds a little small for a full grown mouse, but the restricting measurement on rodents like rats and mice is the width of their skull. That's the only structure they have that they can't contort or make any smaller than it already it. So yeah, dime size is all the mouse needs.

I don't think they meant the circumference of the pencil, just the width, so if a door has a crack you can fit a pencil under they say mice can get there. Their guideline may be overkill just to get food service places to make sure everything is sealed up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Finished the long-neglected replacement retaining wall for the patio. It had been 6x6 timbers, but they all decided to warp.

r3jDslb.jpg

Still need to scrub the stone and seal it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They filled our oil tank today in preparation for colder weather ahead. Except our oil tank was already full and then our basement got covered in oil.

They were very confused when we called for a pickup.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Talk to me about hedge-trimmers. I'd like to go cordless-electric. The house we bough has a lot of overgrown garden beds with boxwoods, roses, etc, that I'd like to trim back.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Talk to me about hedge-trimmers. I'd like to go cordless-electric. The house we bough has a lot of overgrown garden beds with boxwoods, roses, etc, that I'd like to trim back.
    dxcbbz26ra3i.jpg

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    You can plug mouse entries with copper wool. Like steel wool but won't rust if it gets wet or damp.

Put traps around perimeter of rooms but in the case of glue traps be wary that they will only really run afoul of them when they are fleeing the presence of you or the dog. Kill traps can be very hit or miss as well.

Pipe chases are a huge vector for them once they find a way in so you can keep them off of other levels sometimes by making sure they can't scurry up radiator pipes and the like

Agreed. Trying to find potential mouse entry points is a real eye-opener as to how hard it is to vermin-proof your home. Cut to the chase and get a cat, I say.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Do you already have a lot of tools that use the same battery? Like, everything I have uses the black and decker 20v batteries so I always buy more black and decker.

If not, maybe pick a kind of battery to be locked into using for the rest of your life until it is inevitably discontinued.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Do you already have a lot of tools that use the same battery? Like, everything I have uses the black and decker 20v batteries so I always buy more black and decker.

If not, maybe pick a kind of battery to be locked into using for the rest of your life until it is inevitably discontinued.

This goes for pretty much any cordless tool. You're not buying the tool, you're buying the battery system. I say this as a person with cordless tools spread across three different battery systems... It's really annoying.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm in the dewalt battery ecosystem and I really like the hedge trimmer I got, which is the smaller of the two. It's like a plant lightsaber. I even make the vrrrrrmmmm noises when I'm out trimming stuff.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Hmm, my drill is RIGID brand and it looks like they don't do garden tools. We've got a greenworks blower and weedwacker though, so might as well keep to that.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Hmm, my drill is RIGID brand and it looks like they don't do garden tools. We've got a greenworks blower and weedwacker though, so might as well keep to that.

there are companies that make adapters between battery systems too, since almost all of them run the same range of voltages and amperage.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Caulk is your friend.

The health inspector lied to you unless they were talking about a carpeted floor. Mice are tiny but they aren't that tiny.

Really if you want to never have to worry about mice ever get a pair of ferrets. A cat is like installing a run-of-the-mill home security system but having ferrets is like more hiring 24/7 armed guards even if they're only out of their cage a few hours a day. For the most part mice won't go anywhere near a house with ferrets. Bonus if you do gardening sprinkling a small amount of used litter* at a few points in the yard generally also means rabbits won't go anywhere near your plants or like, ya know, your yard as a whole.

You will have more than enough used litter. So much god damned used litter. Seriously they spend 20-22 hours a day sleeping with almost mechanical seeming breaks where all they do is get up, use the litter box, have a couple bites of food, drink some water and curl back up to sleep.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Seen here a death machine caught in the brief moments between naps and poops

4bcf3rdfar0h.jpeg

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

Alternatively, go gas powered. You can get ones that have different attachments, so you have a weed-whacker, hedge trimmer, edger, etc. In my case I bought the weed-whacker and then purchased the additional hedge trimmer piece, works great.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I've needed a dado set for a while now to make replacement baseboard trim, since trim from 1921 is kind of hard to come by. Picked one up today.

Here's the edge blades

QpIfWm5.jpg

Take those out and there's the chipper set.

LI5aCt2.jpg

Take those out and... hmm...

4A4mgQz.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's some very nice foam and stick you got there...yeah, I'm gonna go...

I had no idea how those were made. Would not have thought the groove was cut at the same time

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I don't understand what I am looking at or for. Can someone explain?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

accidental swastika

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

I am guessing that the saw blade kit comes with several different kinds of blades so that you can cut the dado and there is an indentation in the foam for a piece/spacer that was not included, probably from someone buying the kit, removing it and then returning it to the store.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but someone effectively said that the two hardest parts of design are making things which don't accidentally look like a penis or like a swastika.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but someone effectively said that the two hardest parts of design are making things which don't accidentally look like a penis or like a swastika.

Well the hardest thing is to make something that looks thought out, but the second hardest thing is to make sure that thought is not phallic.

It's really hard.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

accidental swastika

Oh. Wow. Yup, there it is. Thanks.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

accidental swastika

totally missed that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on a brand new fridge buzzing loudly, sigh

Fridge plz

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Fridge plz

Brand new seems weird, but I'd guess it's the fan hitting built up ice.

Brand?

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Fridge plz

Brand new seems weird, but I'd guess it's the fan hitting built up ice.

Brand?

KitchenAid

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Fridge plz

Hey my brand new fridge does this too! Mine is an LG though. Assuming you already checked for loose shelves or bottles rattling around... Grab your tools and pop the back cover off, exposing the compressor and probably a fan. Check the fan, wires and various dangly bits that might be vibrating against something as the compressor chooches along. If the buzz is coming from inside the compressor, you might be fucked. Most manufacturers will not repair or replace an otherwise functional compressor because it makes an annoying sound, it's the most expensive component of the fridge.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Loud buzzing is not good, might be a bad compressor or the evaporator motor.

Soft buzzing is normalish. Might be amplified by the wall, pull it away from the wall a half inch or so to see if it abates noticeably.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Loud is probably not totally accurate, it's definitely loud enough to be annoying though and I'll see about checking out the back or the ice maker

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone done their own curtain french drain before? Thinking about doing it before the ground freezes over. I got one corner of my basement, opposite my sump pump, that has water seeping in st the joint of the wall and floor. The grading on that corner is holding the water against the wall. It's a finished basement so I had to rip out a bit of drywall and carpet to find the source of water getting the carpet so wet.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Project start: "Oh, well the toiler paper roll holder is broken. I'll just replace the other hardware while I'm doing it, easy-peasy 30 minute job."
    T+30min: Going to get my Dremel to put a new head on an over-tightened screw
    T+75: "Oh they anchored this to the drywall in 1975 so I have to destroy this part of the wall to get the hand towel holder out"
    T+120: "Oh the 24" towel bar is actually 25.75" long so I'm going to have to paint"
    T+240: At HomeGoods buying a new mirror. Cross-shopping toilets and finding paint combinations...

Fucking TP holder is going to trigger a mini renovation. We've been meaning to do it for a few years, but never got up the motivation...

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Is it under warranty?

I mean I'd call LG and have them come fix it. Generally they have a 2 year warranty. I have not dealt with them specifically, so I don't know how big of dicks they are.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Toilet started leaking again. Pulled it up to replace the seal and oh look, it's apparently been leaking for a while because the floor is toast.

Greeeaaaaaaat.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So note to self, when starting a new fix on the home, read up on the occupational hazards before attempting. Had to use a masonry chisel to remove part of a broken glass block window in my basement, getting covered in mortar dust in the process. Then proceeded to whip up a new mortar batch and applied mostly with my bare hands and trowel, because I'm an idiot, to put in the replacement window. Took a shower afterwards and immediately broke out in full-body hives. Apparently cement dust can be a known allergen, and also becomes caustic when exposed to water. So I've spent the last few days munching benadryl like it's my job. At first thought it might have been an unknown new food allergy until I noticed that I'd have a new minor reaction every time I put on the shoes I was wearing at the time, and are still very dusty.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    As someone who has filled various spaces with some type of concrete-related dust at various times, the rule I've learned is you can never have enough vacuums and dust containment around.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    As someone who has filled various spaces with some type of concrete-related dust at various times, the rule I've learned is you can never have enough vacuums and dust containment around.

Also breathing masks. Even a moderate one without like rebreathers or anything helps cut down on the crap you're breathing in.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FWIW, it's probably past the point of helping, but you can use some vinegar on a paper towel to help neutralize the caustic nature of the wet dust.

If anything, remember that for your feet.

It'll probably dehydrate them a little so keep that in mind.

This discussion has been closed.