As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Looking at potential retirement homes and browsing modular/prefab places. I notice some say the overall price while others differentiate between modular pricing and modular+site pricing. I assume the latter refers to labor!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Looking at potential retirement homes and browsing modular/prefab places. I notice some say the overall price while others differentiate between modular pricing and modular+site pricing. I assume the latter refers to labor!

For modular, the former might be assuming you own (or rent) the pad it sits on?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, a lot of these are marketed towards retirement communities that were previously old gated mobile home parks, now they are "tiny home communities".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    *Nevermind. Long story short house hunting blows.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So one big argument in favor of pole saws is that people who aren't comfortable using a real chainsaw will cut shit up if they can keep the spinny blade 8' away from them.

Both my wife and my mom are just forces of nature with those longer chainsaws on a stick for cutting up and down limbs, but neither are comfortable with chainsaws.

Although our Echo battery powered chainsaws are much more agreeable to both than the old school 'fuck up and lose a leg' chainsaws.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    RedTide wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    If I got a polesaw, would the saw end itself substitute as a decent enough saw that I could the money on a sawzall or chainsaw? My use case for any of the three would pretty much be tree branches, of varying sizes but generally not huge.
    I mean it is a small chainsaw.

A sawzall shouldn’t be used outside on trees. That’s not really what that’s for.

Although I’ve seen sawzalls used for all kinds of shit.

The fuck I can't use a sawzall on a tree.

If it's small enough to be cut, it can be cut.

Would I use it to fell a tree? No, but any branch that falls on the ground is fair game

I mean it’s your sawzall. Cut a steel beam if you want. I’m saying you shouldn’t. Live trees have sap and moisture and other stuff, and the sawzalls aren’t really protected from that sort of thing.
    It's called a sawzall because it saws all. I don't see the problem.

Sawzall is a brand of reciprocating saws by Milwaukee. It’s akin to people referring to angle grinders as metabos

zepherin on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    If I got a polesaw, would the saw end itself substitute as a decent enough saw that I could the money on a sawzall or chainsaw? My use case for any of the three would pretty much be tree branches, of varying sizes but generally not huge.

Yes. The one I have has a 10" chainsaw on the end, and it detaches so you can use it as a regular chainsaw (electric though). I've used it on and off pole for jobs.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    If you don't have a lot of large trees, a fiskars/equivalent manual pole saw is just a collapsible stick with a pruning saw on the end and a cord operated bypass lopper, and is very easy to use.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    First house viewing is tomorrow with a second on Thursday. Since the housing market in my area is absolutely insane right now I am cautiously optimistic that someone will make an offer.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    RedTide wrote: »
    I mean it is a small chainsaw.

A sawzall shouldn’t be used outside on trees. That’s not really what that’s for.

Although I’ve seen sawzalls used for all kinds of shit.

The fuck I can't use a sawzall on a tree.

If it's small enough to be cut, it can be cut.

Would I use it to fell a tree? No, but any branch that falls on the ground is fair game

I mean it’s your sawzall. Cut a steel beam if you want. I’m saying you shouldn’t. Live trees have sap and moisture and other stuff, and the sawzalls aren’t really protected from that sort of thing.
    It's called a sawzall because it saws all. I don't see the problem.

Sawzall is a brand of reciprocating saws by Milwaukee. It’s akin to people referring to angle grinders as metabos

Sawzall is in the same vein as xerox or kleenex. I use one occasionally for tree stuff. I just make sure to keep those blades separate from my other ones. They do great for small limb work that is bigger than a lopper but smaller than requiring a chainsaw.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Well, turns out I need a wifi extender to get wifi working in all the rooms I want it to. Guess all the reno work has degraded signal transmission throughout the house.

I have this router: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000P.aspx

And I'm trying to decide between these two extenders that I'm not quite sure which is better:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7700.aspx

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/eax20.aspx

Any thoughts?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd make the jump to mesh, as extenders aren't that reliable in my experience.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Mesh APs are not that great. If you want to add an AP to your system, hard wire it in.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Honestly I'd make the jump to mesh, as extenders aren't that reliable in my experience.

From what I'm reading on their site, the extender and the router make a mesh, but I'm a networking novice

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

From what I'm reading on their site, the extender and the router make a mesh, but I'm a networking novice

Not really. True mesh routers have a backhaul channel that is used for internode communication.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Get a Ubiquiti Dream Machine and a Beacon or two if you need them.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Not really. True mesh routers have a backhaul channel that is used for internode communication.

Even with a backhaul channel you can run into issues with mesh APs. One of my clients has a Ruckus R510 wireless system (with a cloud controller in our office) that can failover to mesh mode. It's really obvious when it does. Communication speeds tank and latency spikes at random which is especially apparent in VoIP calls. We can go from doing 100+ mb/s to 10 when there is a lot of general wireless congestion.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Even with a backhaul channel you can run into issues with mesh APs. One of my clients has a Ruckus R510 wireless system (with a cloud controller in our office) that can failover to mesh mode. It's really obvious when it does. Communication speeds tank and latency spikes at random which is especially apparent in VoIP calls. We can go from doing 100+ mb/s to 10 when there is a lot of general wireless congestion.

That's a very different situation than a family hanging out and streaming stuff. For good coverage and speeds, an Orbi/Eero/Google kit is going to be the easiest, most effective choice.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    10 is more than enough to stream netflilx on 2 devices.

I've had more issues with 2 access points than my mesh network though because wireless is a shitshow no matter what you do.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Only two good things happen when you have to repair a collapsed leach field.

You get to screw around in a backhoe

CuXvff5.jpg?1

And drive around in a truck that looks like one of those snake prank cans went off.

Y5xiRZO.jpg?1

Also those tubes are fifty five dollars each.

But it means not having to deal with eight cubic yards of rock.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yeah, they say it turns the two into a mesh network. But Netgear says a lot of things. That extender is the best one I've ever worked with, but it's still garbage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I tried 4 different brands of wifi extenders and an ethernet-over-power-lines-to-wifi adapter for my house and have had dramatically better luck with a set of google mesh nodes.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Another option is MoCA adapters to connect a distant hot spot

• Options
    Only two good things happen when you have to repair a collapsed leach field.

Also those tubes are fifty five dollars each.

But it means not having to deal with eight cubic yards of rock.

And your truck got to cosplay as Cthulhu

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Aaaaand I'm back under contract! On an even better property!

Third times a charm! 🤞

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Anyone ever get poison ivy in their lawn? I didn't know it could spread from bushes to the middle of grass several feet away but apparently it can and now I have to find a way to kill it without killing the grass. :(

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I'd kill the grass and reseed it after the fact. With clover.

Because I love clover.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd kill the grass and reseed it after the fact. With clover.

Because I love clover.

Yeah, this is a situation where saving the grass in the affected area is simply not an option.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Unfortunately roundup (glyphosate) is going to be the way to go for poison ivy.

And that’ll kill some grass.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    And you got really hose that shit down with roundup. In my experience poison ivy does not die easily. And for fuck sake don't touch it. My arms have been broken out for 4 months now despite 3 trips to a doctor.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I've heard cleaning with high proof alcohol like vodka can help get the urushiol off your skin. (As long as you wash it off before it's absorbed by the skin)

bowen on
  • Options
    And you got really hose that shit down with roundup. In my experience poison ivy does not die easily. And for fuck sake don't touch it. My arms have been broken out for 4 months now despite 3 trips to a doctor.

You can definitely kill it with boiling water or with vinegar but the spread in my yard is too much to handle for traditional methods. I bought some Brush-B-Gone at Lowe's when I went out to lunch. We'll see if that works without being as devastating as RoundUp but I am expecting some dead grass with this shit too.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    If you're really sensitive to poison ivy, you can go full biocontainment: Put on a tyvek, n95, glasses, double nitrile gloves and boot covers and dig it up by hand, ensuring to get all of the roots. Lay the plants on a split garbage bag, then wipe yourself down with denatured alcohol. Doff the boot covers into the waste pile, then the outer gloves and then the coveralls. Then use alcohol to wipe down the tools and set them aside. Roll up the split bag and put it into a secondary bag, tie it closed. Carry to your trash can / dumpster, doff the inner gloves into the can and go take a shower. To doff contaminated gloves, the technique is to pinch your palm and slide out your dominant hand while holding the glove in your offhand, preferably so the glove turns inside out. Slide your pointer finger in the cuff of the glove on your offhand and flip that glove inside out, wrapping the first glove. The goal is that all contaminated surfaces are inside the glove ball.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

You can definitely kill it with boiling water or with vinegar but the spread in my yard is too much to handle for traditional methods. I bought some Brush-B-Gone at Lowe's when I went out to lunch. We'll see if that works without being as devastating as RoundUp but I am expecting some dead grass with this shit too.

Anything marketed as a "brush killer" will definitely kill grass. Check the label and see how long you have to wait to re-plant is the main thing.

• Options
    I'm not sensitive (at least never have been) to poison ivy. I'm mostly concerned about my dog. She's kind of a dumbass and likes to chew on plants when I am not looking.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Get yourself one of those flamethrowers that are for "snow removal" off of Amazon.

Turn the Poison Ivy to ash. Water and fertilise the lawn.

• Options
    Get yourself one of those flamethrowers that are for "snow removal" off of Amazon.

Roots are too deep. It will come right back.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Lol, have you seen the Red Dragon 1,000,000 BTU weed burner?

It'll destroy concrete if you're not careful.

• Options

Urushiol can become airborne and that is not something you want in your lungs.

It's illegal to burn poison ivy/sumac/oak in a lot of areas because of this.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Lol, have you seen the Red Dragon 1,000,000 BTU weed burner?

It'll destroy concrete if you're not careful.

Unless you're going deep deep, you're just going to aerosolize it as bowen pointed out and the core root will still be there, waiting. Poison ivy is hell.

schuss on
This discussion has been closed.