As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Also holy shit you guys I own a building now.

There is so much to do

Isn't it the craziest feeling?

When we bought our house, I felt like we pulled something over on the bank / realtors because what kind of idiot would give me a whole building?

It's been a week now and I still can't shake the feeling that someone's gonna say "No, wait, we made a mistake and we're taking the house back".

It isn't a nice experience. Well in our case it was a phone call the night before closing on a new house saying "No, wait, we made a mistake and we can't sell you the house yet (if at all)" which is wonderful since we already closed on our current house.
    After closing we got another phone call of "No, wait, we made a mistake at the closing! the house isn't actually yours yet".

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

There is so much to do

When we bought our house, I felt like we pulled something over on the bank / realtors because what kind of idiot would give me a whole building?

It's been a week now and I still can't shake the feeling that someone's gonna say "No, wait, we made a mistake and we're taking the house back".

I had the guy who bought my house email me 2 days ago asking if I was aware of any power issues in the basement. Apparently he loses power when he tries to use a microwave down there and wanted to know if I had any insight.

I sold the house 2 years ago. :confused:

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

There is so much to do

I had the guy who bought my house email me 2 days ago asking if I was aware of any power issues in the basement. Apparently he loses power when he tries to use a microwave down there and wanted to know if I had any insight.

I sold the house 2 years ago. :confused:

don't ever admit to anything even in passing

he could use that to renege on the house because of the disclosure if you didn't mention power issues and you go "well I did occasionally have to do xyz" and send a hefty lawsuit your way

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    2nd guy is rightish.

The correct method is to dig a trench, fix the seam/crack, seal the foundation and use a dimpled waterproof membrane, toss in a socked weeping tile, backfill with gravel and finish with topsoil.

But that can be expensive ($20k+).

Yup, either of those solutions are temporary fixes - depending on how much water piles up there clay or urethane will start leaking again at some point in the future. Sealant on the inside is temporary too because osmotic pressure will eventually force things through. Digging everything out like you say is the 'right' and permament fix.

But it's a big enough job that doing it 'good enough' being aware that at some point in the future you'll probably have to deal with it again isn't necessarily a bad approach. If it was a finished basement where the leaks are going to ruin drywall / carpet and mold up you would probably want to go with the all-out solution, but if it's just an unfinished basement where a little leak isn't going to destroy anything the half-assed approach is probably fine, and - if you aren't sure you're going to be there forever - passing the buck (maybe) to future you or a future owner isn't always the wrong approach.

If your drainage is bad, you can also extend the life of the temporary fixes if you improve the runoff. We had one area that had a bit of a leak and just by extending a downspout and building a little bit of a berm in the low spot on the outside it took care of the leak / moisture that was coming through.

Both options are offering lifetime warranties (and transferable to the first buyer) of their work. I'm definitely not spending 20k for what is never going to come close to causing that much damage. Also, it's an urban building, a skid steer couldn't even be brought in due to the tight lot lines. I guess my main question is, whether the exterior option is worth the extra $500 since the warranty might cover any future leaking on the original side of the foundation joint, rather than just the addition side if I went with the urethane. But if a big plug of Bentonite is that old/bad of a solution, then I might as well save the money and just go with the urethane injection and hope to get 10-15 years out of it and call them back if it leaks again.

• Options
    Yeah the injection is the better solution unless you've got a finished basement.

It'll buy you some time anyways. The clay is a "better solution short term" but after 10 years it'll be fucked unless they're also doing all the other work I mentioned too. Doesn't really seem like it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So now that I own and live in a house, I have discovered that I have an electric pump to circulate water around aforementioned house. The previous owners must have enjoyed showers that blow your testicles over your shoulders, because it sounds like a jet engine taking off every time a tap is turned, no matter how gently.

This is ignorable during the day but is waking my fiancée up when I use the facilities and she’s asleep.

Is it safe to just... turn it off at night? Could this cause any issues long term? Presumably toilets will still flush with it off? Ideally I’d like to put a timer on it at the wall socket, but Spaffina flicking it off when she goes to bed is an option until then.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So now that I own and live in a house, I have discovered that I have an electric pump to circulate water around aforementioned house. The previous owners must have enjoyed showers that blow your testicles over your shoulders, because it sounds like a jet engine taking off every time a tap is turned, no matter how gently.

This is ignorable during the day but is waking my fiancée up when I use the facilities and she’s asleep.

Is it safe to just... turn it off at night? Could this cause any issues long term? Presumably toilets will still flush with it off? Ideally I’d like to put a timer on it at the wall socket, but Spaffina flicking it off when she goes to bed is an option until then.

I assume you're running from a well or cistern and this pump is pressurizing your system, not some sort of pressure booster pump to increase the pressure you're already getting from a municipal system?

Shutting it off at night probably won't cause any issues and you'll have one flush on deck even with the system off. It shouldn't lose prime or anything like that, and should just pick back up where you left it in the morning. Downside is if you need more than a flush or so (depending on your current pressure tank size) you might not be able to run water without going and pluging it back in / switching it on.

You may also want to look at a larger pressure tank and - depending on the pump you have - the pressure threshold for it switching on and off. It will run longer when it does run, but you'll have more time in between (probably at least a flush or two and washing your hands) before the pressure in your system drops enough for it to flip on.

Another option might be to soundproof the room where the pump is or just get a quieter pump. Dunno if those would be worthwhile.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Pressure tank might be a good option because then it won't run late at night unless someone's got the shits.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

It could be that you have low pressure from the street.

Also the toilets will still flush at least once! if it's just low pressure they should refill without any issue. Are you in a 1 story or 2 story home? If it is low pressure without the pump the water might not be able to make it to the 2nd story. You also might be able to insulate the area the pump is in to deaden the sound.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I assume you're running from a well or cistern and this pump is pressurizing your system, not some sort of pressure booster pump to increase the pressure you're already getting from a municipal system?

Shutting it off at night probably won't cause any issues and you'll have one flush on deck even with the system off. It shouldn't lose prime or anything like that, and should just pick back up where you left it in the morning. Downside is if you need more than a flush or so (depending on your current pressure tank size) you might not be able to run water without going and pluging it back in / switching it on.

You may also want to look at a larger pressure tank and - depending on the pump you have - the pressure threshold for it switching on and off. It will run longer when it does run, but you'll have more time in between (probably at least a flush or two and washing your hands) before the pressure in your system drops enough for it to flip on.

Another option might be to soundproof the room where the pump is or just get a quieter pump. Dunno if those would be worthwhile.

I’m pretty sure it’s a pressure booster... I’ve never heard of a house around here that needs a pump to circulate water at all? There’s a statutory pressure of 10m/head required for all water suppliers in the UK (where I am) I believe. It’s a two story building.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're hooked to a municipal system you should be fine turning the booster pump off.

That works out to something like 15 PSI minimum (in Freedom Numbers) which is pretty low but even if that's all you're getting its sufficient to wash hands or refill a toilet tank. And you're probably getting more pressure than that.

It's definitely not going to hurt anything to unplug it for a few nights. You probably don't have one, but you might have a pressure reducer that you can adjust to bump back up in the direction of mains pressure without using the pump at all.

I was thinking more that you lived in a rural area with a well or cistern, where all the water is pumped because I don't know of anyone here in the US hooked to a municipal system that also runs a pump. Usually you have to use (one of the aforementioned) pressure reducers - the water line I just put in had one at the road to bump from 90 PSI down to 45 PSI, then another one at the house to bump back down from 105 PSI to 50 due to the elevation change.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I am coming very close to pulling the trigger on a housing purchase and now I am like, am I supposed to buy right now?

How much can I afford

What can I do as a down payment

All these questions I realized I don’t know anything about or have any frame of reference for

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Deck extension was estimated to have materials delivered this weekend and take four days to complete.

Materials arrived today and they plan to have it done tomorrow with final inspection Saturday.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Quid wrote: »
    Deck extension was estimated to have materials delivered this weekend and take four days to complete.

Materials arrived today and they plan to have it done tomorrow with final inspection Saturday.

Hooray..!?

Hopefully that doesn't mean they're rushing anything like cure/ acclimation time.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Nah. They built the original deck and I think paying a large amount timely earned us points.

There’s also no curing since it’s trex.

Edit: Also when the materials arrived early they sent some workers to prep with digging and prestaging materials.

Quid on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I've been banking money, and I know I'm going to have to be looking at a fixer upper here in the Seattle area because prices are utterly insane. But more than that, what the fuck is up with HOA fees? What could possibly justify some of these I'm seeing around $400-500 per month.

Like, how is that even a thing? How much can those be enforced? That is utterly insane to me. What possible value could that provide other than as a "we want to weed out undesirables."

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It just depends on the level of service. If the neighborhood is heavy on the on-site amenities, pools, gyms, public areas, heavy decorative landscaping etc. If there's a private security company, private waste removal, street cleaning. It could even include lawn and landscaping service for residents, so the neighborhood is always uniform. It's like any other contract, if you don't pay it a lien is put on your house, if you don't take care of it you lose your home in a tax sale.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I've been banking money, and I know I'm going to have to be looking at a fixer upper here in the Seattle area because prices are utterly insane. But more than that, what the fuck is up with HOA fees? What could possibly justify some of these I'm seeing around $400-500 per month.

Like, how is that even a thing? How much can those be enforced? That is utterly insane to me. What possible value could that provide other than as a "we want to weed out undesirables."

That's, like, condo-level numbers. I poked around in Seattle, and I'm not seeing stand-alone housing with HOA fees at that level. (If you're looking at condos/townhomes, those fees go to maintaining the exterior of the building.)

y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am coming very close to pulling the trigger on a housing purchase and now I am like, am I supposed to buy right now?

How much can I afford

What can I do as a down payment

All these questions I realized I don’t know anything about or have any frame of reference for

Right now is a bit weird, as the plague messes up everything. It might be a good time to keep your eyes open, but I'm not sure I'd recommend buying right now. The prices seem ok, but there's not that many properties available right now.

What I'd recommend you start with is seeing what you need, and what you value. Do you value closeness to work? Good entertainment options nearby? Schools? Bus routes? Do you need two bedrooms or sixteen? Look on the real estate sites, and see what's available, and how much it costs. Come back every day or two; the good places tend to get snatched up fast, and it's nice to know what those look like. After a couple weeks, you'll have a half-decent grasp of what kind of place you want. (Visiting places in person is also good, as many things aren't obvious over the internet, but that's dubious right now.)

At that point, figure out how much money a place you like is going to cost, and start saving. Down payment is traditionally 20% of the total price of the house. You can reduce that, but will probably get a worse deal on your mortgage. Don't forget to include moving expenses, last month's rent on your current place if applicable, a bit extra for the inevitable thing that breaks a week after you move in, and try to do that without touching your retirement savings or emergency funds. As, again, moving is a bit terrible right now, you have time to get the down payment sorted.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    Come to think of it, counting material delivery and inspection, in total it’s taking them three days instead of four. They’ve just shaved construction from two days to one.

I should not be trusted to run a construction business.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Protip: If you are shopping outside of the city, you can probably get a $0 down payment USDA loan. I bought my townhome back in 2017 for $0 down and only about $1500 out of pocket for inspections, escrow funding and the extra little stuff that comes up.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it, counting material delivery and inspection, in total it’s taking them three days instead of four. They’ve just shaved construction from two days to one.

Just start a Trello for your trellis project and you'll be fine.

Good news about the deck. We're looking at Trex for our small back door steps. Would like to extend out the platform for at least a chair or two.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If it's condo related, those fees could potentially include water or sewer service as well

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    someone please explain this to me

qodmv6aev6o4.jpg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Just start a Trello for your trellis project and you'll be fine.

Good news about the deck. We're looking at Trex for our small back door steps. Would like to extend out the platform for at least a chair or two.

I can highly recommend. The upfront cost is well worth it IMO. Virtually zero maintenance, no worries about splinters or rotting, and it’ll last way longer.

From a purely feel and aesthetic I like wood more, but all those other qualities easily outweigh it for me.

Quid on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The only time I've seen truck delivery as the only option on Lowe's was when it was a product being sold for a third party. Stuff they don't stock. But it's usually like, bulk stone or something, not a single garden hose.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    They're filled with hatred in their hearts.

Should I be worried about an outside water spigot that slowly groans as we turn it on and capture the water behind a spray nozzle? It's annoying, but is it hurting the plumbing? It does sound exactly like what I think of as water hammer, it's not a big sudden thunk, just a continual groaning.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    It's a hired private shipping company - like if you need parts carried across town/state but don't want to wait for FedEx to fill a truck.

So if you need a soaking right now they've got you covered.

Used more often for pallets of landscaping, etc.

• Options
    It's a hired private shipping company - like if you need parts carried across town/state but don't want to wait for FedEx to fill a truck.

I need lowes to make me moist

• Options
    Or it could just be that the Lowe's site is absolute garbage, because it is. More and more often I'll click the "Free pick up at your store today" button, look at the resulting options, pick one, only to be greeted with "Not available at your store." Or, sometimes even, not available at all.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I need lowes to make me moist

the ground on the south side of my foundation apparently has not known a gentle caress in a long while

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Or it could just be that the Lowe's site is absolute garbage, because it is. More and more often I'll click the "Free pick up at your store today" button, look at the resulting options, pick one, only to be greeted with "Not available at your store." Or, sometimes even, not available at all.

It's been really interesting to see what companies have adapted to a delivery/pickup focus.

In my experience, IKEA completely shit the bed but Home Depot has been great. Now if that came at the expense of their well-being I don't know. HD did have blast shields up at the service desks very early - March, sooner? -so I'm hoping that was a good sign.

Lowe's had been bad for me too, as is Menard's where the inventory went from many to not in stock after ordering several times.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

Should I be worried about an outside water spigot that slowly groans as we turn it on and capture the water behind a spray nozzle? It's annoying, but is it hurting the plumbing? It does sound exactly like what I think of as water hammer, it's not a big sudden thunk, just a continual groaning.

Water hammering is very sudden and not a slow groan. That sound is more akin to the water flowing through a relatively small orifice. <obligatory I'm an internet rando> It won't hurt the rest of the plumbing to use it. If you're concerned, ask a plumber to replace it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

It's been really interesting to see what companies have adapted to a delivery/pickup focus.

In my experience, IKEA completely shit the bed but Home Depot has been great. Now if that came at the expense of their well-being I don't know. HD did have blast shields up at the service desks very early - March, sooner? -so I'm hoping that was a good sign.

Lowe's had been bad for me too, as is Menard's where the inventory went from many to not in stock after ordering several times.

It's their own delivery program. We started something similar with COVID called Small Parcel Delivery. Buy something at the store you need same day, as long as you order it before 1pm it will usually make it to you that day. But it's pretty expensive, I think like $30-40 to deliver it. We didn't do it in our area because there isn't enough demand here in the woods, but it's worked well in other places. Edit: but $72 is bonkers.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The amount to be paid is already agreed so there aren’t any extra costs.

Contractor: “Yeah go ahead and extend it out another six inches. I’d rather be eight inches over and pass inspection than find out two inches wasn’t enough.”

Me: *swoon*

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    My project for the last year has been treehouse.

A couple more weekends and ill be done.

x9n7tcoai0cf.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd live in it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Septus wrote: »

It's probably a bad washer. Relatively easy fix to pull the hose bib off and replace it. Which is why I've put off fixing mine for a year and a half.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    My project for the last year has been treehouse.

A couple more weekends and ill be done.

x9n7tcoai0cf.jpg
    @Tav thats a 350k home in Dublin.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's their own delivery program. We started something similar with COVID called Small Parcel Delivery. Buy something at the store you need same day, as long as you order it before 1pm it will usually make it to you that day. But it's pretty expensive, I think like $30-40 to deliver it. We didn't do it in our area because there isn't enough demand here in the woods, but it's worked well in other places. Edit: but $72 is bonkers.

Back when I worked there $72 was just the standard delivery fee, been a decade or so since then.

• Options
    Our home project is to get the office redone so all three of us can work / school in there instead of the half assed temporary places we have been sitting and working that are probably pretty bad long-term.

So we got the desk in, modified some bookshelves and my wife made the cabinet under the center.

We have a nice 8' shelf to center over the desk and I had to get brackets. Lowes and Home Depot didnt have the black ones we needed so I ended up getting chromed ones, etching them, and spraying them and they turned out pretty damn good. Excited to get that up tomorrow.

Here is where we are at now...

o6mvxdk11h29.jpg

This discussion has been closed.