Options

[Education] - Where Silicon Valley Is What's The Matter With Kansas

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    MorganV wrote: »
    The things Texas is doing after taking over the Houston school district are pretty awful. The most obvious one is converting libraries into detention centers. But they have totally fucked up their professional development week in all kinds of ways. This is mostly just sad.

The worst thing is, like with climate change, the fuckers making these kinds of decisions will be past consequences by the time the bill rolls around.

It's just so fucking short sighted. And yet they continue to con people with "think of the children!" slogans.

It's more they don't care about who's not being educated here.

The whole point of the takeover is to fuck with Houston because Houston is blue.

Edit: Like seriously, they took over all 274 schools in the district because, as far as I can tell, *one* of them failed to meet academic performance standards. It doesn't get much more blatant than this.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The things Texas is doing after taking over the Houston school district are pretty awful. The most obvious one is converting libraries into detention centers. But they have totally fucked up their professional development week in all kinds of ways. This is mostly just sad.

The worst thing is, like with climate change, the fuckers making these kinds of decisions will be past consequences by the time the bill rolls around.

It's just so fucking short sighted. And yet they continue to con people with "think of the children!" slogans.

That's part of the problem. Outside of the political benefits, an uneducated labour force is detrimental, even to the wealthy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2023

That's part of the problem. Outside of the political benefits, an uneducated labour force is detrimental, even to the wealthy.

The wealthy assholes in Texas care more about race ideology than their own wealth. And increasingly in that world outright race science is taking hold. So they think it's literally impossible to educate the kids in Houston.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

The wealthy assholes in Texas care more about race ideology than their own wealth. And increasingly in that world outright race science is taking hold. So they think it's literally impossible to educate the kids in Houston.

Sorry for being dense, but can you unpack this for me? They think it's impossible to educate kids in Houston because the kids are black and racist "science" says they're less intelligent, or they think it's impossible to educate kids in Houston because they'll learn evidence-based things about race and they don't like that?

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Sorry for being dense, but can you unpack this for me? They think it's impossible to educate kids in Houston because the kids are black and racist "science" says they're less intelligent, or they think it's impossible to educate kids in Houston because they'll learn evidence-based things about race and they don't like that?

The former.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Yes

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    My new principal is talking about "disrupting" the status quo. I grow extremely concerned.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My new principal is talking about "disrupting" the status quo. I grow extremely concerned.

the status quo being education or uneducation? because that will determine a lot here.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

the status quo being education or uneducation? because that will determine a lot here.

Doesn't matter, if you use the word "disrupt" in that way, you're a douche.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Send all the public money to private grifts!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I mean, I'd love to "disrupt the status quo" of "my kids need to be worried about someone bringing a gun to school," and at least they're trying something (that being "no backpacks unless before / after school" and "installing metal detectors"), but I'd never use those words for it, yeah.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I mean, I'd love to "disrupt the status quo" of "my kids need to be worried about someone bringing a gun to school," and at least they're trying something (that being "no backpacks unless before / after school" and "installing metal detectors"), but I'd never use those words for it, yeah.

It's a whole new paradigm!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Doesn't matter, if you use the word "disrupt" in that way, you're a douche.

It's also just a weird choice of words for a school official, given "disrupt" generally being treated in educationese as among the very worst things a student can do (or just as a synonym for "this is bad because I don't like it").

• Options
    District suspended the principal at Carpenter finally, btw.

And hearing about how we must make every student belong and be concerned with their wellbeing was...not an effective message from the dead superintendent walking. School board meets tonight in what will surely be a shitshow.

• Options
    "I love the first day, everybody all friendly and shit" - Namond Brice

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

And hearing about how we must make every student belong and be concerned with their wellbeing was...not an effective message from the dead superintendent walking. School board meets tonight in what will surely be a shitshow.

How did the school board meeting go?

Below what you expected, or something you repressed?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Can't believe no one mentioned how this teacher is literally named Joe Cool.
    “There’s some raunchiness in Shakespeare,” said Joseph Cool, a reading teacher at Gaither High School. “Because that’s what sold tickets during his time.”

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wasn't that a plot point in one of the Porky's films?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

Porky's 2 to be exact. I believe there was also a subplot about a native American kissing a white woman, so the christians and KKK were both protesting Shakespeare.

• Options

How did the school board meeting go?

Below what you expected, or something you repressed?

Total shitshow. The board hates each other, one just took a job at I think Brown (she's a professor of Creative Writing) and is in favor of firing Swift so the minority is trying to get her to resign early, parents hate Swift, Swift is a gifted political infighter, nothing got resolved.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »

Porky's 2 to be exact. I believe there was also a subplot about a native American kissing a white woman, so the christians and KKK were both protesting Shakespeare.

And a Jewish character and part of the crew trying to pull another student's head out of his ass for being an anti-Semite cause his overbearing dad is basically a Nazi and wouldn't brook any disention from his son.

Here's one of the most relevant Bard parts:

https://youtu.be/_XoifYo9JCM?si=LStY4aowzKMn-Jml

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    UM has gone dark online:
    The University of Michigan is attempting to fix the internet services at its Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses since the eve of the new academic year, but what caused the disruption and exactly how long it take to be restored is unclear.

"The team is working around the clock and already has restored access to some systems," the university offered in an Monday afternoon update. "That said, it may be several days before all online services return to their normal levels."

Signs are not good for what is happening:
    There also are hints the outage is more than a glitch.

In its latest update, U-M mentioned that its Information Assurance team was on guard, working with "leading cybersecurity providers" to detect, deflect and mitigate "a steady stream of malicious actors every hour of every day."

When asked Tuesday for more information about the cause of the disruption, U-M public affairs officials pointed to its statements. The Free Press also left messages seeking more information about the outages with various members of the university's board of regents.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    20070716-Ncc7byrX-p1.jpg20070716-Ncc7byrX-p2.jpg20070716-Ncc7byrX-p3.jpg

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Yup, this outage is a hell of a thing and as far as I know pretty much unprecedented. That comic actually isn't that far off from what's happening on campus yesterday and today.

On the Health IT side of things we're getting by somewhat but there are still a lot of things falling on their face where there are dependencies on campus systems and authentication. I guess Payroll had to physically go into the office and plug into the wired network since payday is coming up.

The University President (Santa Ono) did send out an update a little while ago with this blurb:
    The investigative work into the security issue continues. As noted in Monday’s message to the community, our U-M Division of Public Safety and Security and federal law enforcement partners are involved in this investigation.

While we will continue to share as much information as possible as this work progresses, we are not able to share any information that might compromise the investigation. I appreciate your understanding as we move through the investigative process.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Yup, this outage is a hell of a thing and as far as I know pretty much unprecedented. That comic actually isn't that far off from what's happening on campus yesterday and today.

On the Health IT side of things we're getting by somewhat but there are still a lot of things falling on their face where there are dependencies on campus systems and authentication. I guess Payroll had to physically go into the office and plug into the wired network since payday is coming up.

The University President (Santa Ono) did send out an update a little while ago with this blurb:
    The investigative work into the security issue continues. As noted in Monday’s message to the community, our U-M Division of Public Safety and Security and federal law enforcement partners are involved in this investigation.

While we will continue to share as much information as possible as this work progresses, we are not able to share any information that might compromise the investigation. I appreciate your understanding as we move through the investigative process.

The college a friend teaches at got a visit from the ransomware fairies this winter and seemed to pull off a similar reaction - shut down all internal and external connectivity to the point where doors stopped working, and it took them weeks to sorta up and running again. That one also happened a couple of days before the start of the term.

The school administration's been super-micromanaging IT ever since, resulting in a string of deeply insane policies changing regularly. The current two fun ones are a complete lockdown of faculty desktops to the point of needing permission to place or remove shortcuts on the things, and zero-notice software updates/reboots on individual workstations at random times throughout the day whenever one of the tech people patches a particular system.

Also a formal "we will not discuss anything to do with security up to and including disclosing breaches in the future" policy because apparently saying you're doing anything Emboldens The Enemy. That one's gonna be fun the next time someone cheerfully opens invoice.pdf.xlsx.exe, I'll bet.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wait I’ve seen this episode of [insert title of HS comedy show]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The college a friend teaches at got a visit from the ransomware fairies this winter and seemed to pull off a similar reaction - shut down all internal and external connectivity to the point where doors stopped working, and it took them weeks to sorta up and running again. That one also happened a couple of days before the start of the term.

The school administration's been super-micromanaging IT ever since, resulting in a string of deeply insane policies changing regularly. The current two fun ones are a complete lockdown of faculty desktops to the point of needing permission to place or remove shortcuts on the things, and zero-notice software updates/reboots on individual workstations at random times throughout the day whenever one of the tech people patches a particular system.

Also a formal "we will not discuss anything to do with security up to and including disclosing breaches in the future" policy because apparently saying you're doing anything Emboldens The Enemy. That one's gonna be fun the next time someone cheerfully opens invoice.pdf.xlsx.exe, I'll bet.

The problem in these situations is that IT security is a fucking joke and basically depends on being lucky enough that no one tries really hard to fuck you. So when something does happen, you get people demanding changes that break everything because it turns out the wall was built on sand.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The problem in these situations is that IT security is a fucking joke and basically depends on being lucky enough that no one tries really hard to fuck you. So when something does happen, you get people demanding changes that break everything because it turns out the wall was built on sand.

While also nitpickily preventing them from actually doing anything useful on the security front because to administrators IT stuff isn't seen as infrastructure or anything that brings any returns to the institution, but rather is just an "expense."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

While also nitpickily preventing them from actually doing anything useful on the security front because to administrators IT stuff isn't seen as infrastructure or anything that brings any returns to the institution, but rather is just an "expense."

"Why would we spend money on backup solutions and testing? You should just be doing it right to begin with."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

That's not just IT, that happens with every security measure unless backed by law and enforced.

Job told current building landlord to fuck off because he was asked to install a fire supression system on building and they decided to instead spend the money on a lawyer to make a huge temper tantrum of how dare job to demand it. Which had the benefit to firmly establish that WFH is the way to the non-believers, but still.

• Options
    In unsurprising yet depressing news, it turns out that Florida was looking to bothsides chattel slavery in their fight with the College Board:
    But the state did not say that in many instances, its reviewers also made objections in the state’s attempt to sanitize aspects of slavery and the plight of African Americans throughout history, according to a Miami Herald/Tampa Bay Times review of internal state comments.

For example, a lesson in the Advanced Placement course focused on how Europeans benefited from trading enslaved people and the materials enslaved laborers produced. The state objected to the content, saying the instructional approach “may lead to a viewpoint of an ‘oppressor vs. oppressed’ based solely on race or ethnicity.”

What. The. Fuck.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    In unsurprising yet depressing news, it turns out that Florida was looking to bothsides chattel slavery in their fight with the College Board:
    But the state did not say that in many instances, its reviewers also made objections in the state’s attempt to sanitize aspects of slavery and the plight of African Americans throughout history, according to a Miami Herald/Tampa Bay Times review of internal state comments.

For example, a lesson in the Advanced Placement course focused on how Europeans benefited from trading enslaved people and the materials enslaved laborers produced. The state objected to the content, saying the instructional approach “may lead to a viewpoint of an ‘oppressor vs. oppressed’ based solely on race or ethnicity.”

What. The. Fuck.

So like, the actual viewpoint and historical fact? The fuck is that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    In other news, it appears that UCSB is backing off plans for the Kowloon Walled Dormitory:
    The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) is accepting applications for a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) – a screening process to find suitable candidates – for the design of its UCSB Student Housing Infill and Redevelopment Project.

This would deliver "at least" 3,500 beds for undergraduate students to the UCSB campus, 3,000 of which would be located in new residential community housing.

The remaining 500 beds would be part of an East Campus Infill and Redevelopment effort that would "add additional beds within an existing community of UCSB residence hall," the university said.

According to the RFQ, which was signed by campus architect Julie Hendricks, the projected construction budget for phases 1 and 2 of the student housing project is $600 million to $750 million.

This dorm was just crazy - designed by a man whose only qualification was "has money", it was basically a warehouse for students, with the majority of rooms having no access to outside lighting or ventilation.

Good. It's an embarrassment that that thing ever got past the elevator pitch.
    Munger, who is 97 years old, blind in one eye, and losing vision in the other, has no formal training in architecture, but over the last decade has developed a passion for creating unconventional yet highly efficient blueprints for college living. Most of the bedrooms in his UCSB residence hall, for example, don’t have windows in order to coax students into common spaces where they can mingle and collaborate. The rooms would instead be fitted with artificial windows modeled after portholes on Disney cruise ships.
    Get this man a ride on a techbro's submarine

edit: ooops, sorry that was pages ago

honovere on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

What. The. Fuck.

So like, the actual viewpoint and historical fact? The fuck is that.

Yeah but it might make White people look bad and potentially even feel bad, so it had to go

Truth is a minor concern in comparison to the true horror of white people's feelings maybe being hurt a little bit because their long deceased countrymen and relatives sucked.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Yeah but it might make White people look bad and potentially even feel bad, so it had to go

Truth is a minor concern in comparison to the true horror of white people's feelings maybe being hurt a little bit because their long deceased countrymen and relatives sucked.

I wonder how much of that is a part of any consideration at this point, or is it just straight 1984-esque "we cannot possibly let the actual truth be taught" control over historical fact.

Put another way: I have a hard time believing any of these assholes involved at this point have enough shame to have their feelings hurt by the truth. Straight-up Orwellian evil seems more likely to me.

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It is wild to me how fragile they think kids are. I grew up in Texas and my elementary school did not shy away from discussing the horrors of slavery at all (though it was until a few years ago named after a confederate general).
    And somehow I didn't grow up thinking that I was bad for being white or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I wonder how much of that is a part of any consideration at this point, or is it just straight 1984-esque "we cannot possibly let the actual truth be taught" control over historical fact.

Put another way: I have a hard time believing any of these assholes involved at this point have enough shame to have their feelings hurt by the truth. Straight-up Orwellian evil seems more likely to me.

It's part of the continually contrarian reaction to the 1619 Project.

• Options
    It is wild to me how fragile they think kids are. I grew up in Texas and my elementary school did not shy away from discussing the horrors of slavery at all (though it was until a few years ago named after a confederate general).
    And somehow I didn't grow up thinking that I was bad for being white or whatever.

It's not about fragility. It's in the same vein as Holocaust denial - if you want to relegitimize the sort of rule where minorities are "put in their place", then you have to erase the history that delegitimized them in the first place.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Marty81 wrote: »

The whole point of the takeover is to fuck with Houston because Houston is blue.

Edit: Like seriously, they took over all 274 schools in the district because, as far as I can tell, *one* of them failed to meet academic performance standards. It doesn't get much more blatant than this.

It gets worse!
    https://wandering.shop/@amaditalks/110979864355053569
    My cousin was a 29 year veteran of Houston Independent School District, the last 15 as a beloved principal. She resigned from her job after the announcement of the unreal standards by which unqualified state observers will be judging HISD teachers during daily classroom incursions.

She loves her school, staff and students but refuses to be complicit in Greg Abbott’s efforts to destroy public education in America’s 4th largest city.
    -
    Some of those standards include an end to any independent reading, writing or other independent work during class time or lectures at the HS level due to a requirement of a full class engagement activity every FOUR minutes, minimal and optimally no use of a whiteboard, lights in classrooms never being dimmed even to watch video, & classroom doors never being closed even when those full class engagement activities are happening every 4 minutes (presumably this rule is suspended in a lockdown).
    -
    If you are trying to figure out how math or science will be taught with minimal or no use of the whiteboard, even to demonstrate how to solve problems, or explain any issue in greater detail, or how English, especially on the high school level, will be taught without in class reading or writing, or how history and similar classes will be taught without any lecture-like components that last more than 3 minutes and 59 seconds, well, so are the people who teach these things every day.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023

It's part of the continually contrarian reaction to the 1619 Project.

Also, it isn't about how the kids feel, but about how kids are taught what their parents and grandparents did.

Fencingsax on