As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    A lot of K9s are basically just officers' pets. The dog and/or handler either aren't trained to begin with, or their training isn't maintained properly.

The main manifestation of this is that there's a lot of them that smell drugs on the driver's seat of every car they check, because they smell butt, but this kind of shit happens, too. Lucky for the cow that it was something too big for the dog to properly mess up, unlucky for everyone else it was something that could properly mess up all present.

Is this a USA thing?
    Regular pets are definitely not K9 units and go through extensive training to be able to ride around on calls...

Some/most officers do adopt the dogs but it's not like fluffy is attending carjackings.

They aren't actually pets ("constitutional sheriffs" like to just bring their dog to work but it's not exactly normal), what I mean by "basically pets," is that K9s generally live with their handlers and while many (not all and barely most) states require police dogs to be certified, few if any require them to ever be recertified. Ongoing training gets neglected and the trained police behaviors start getting replaced with pet behaviors. So you have K9s who chase animals, alert on random interesting smells, or get defensive in situations where they shouldn't.

Drug checks are, as I said, the biggest symptom of this - once upon a time, drug sniffing was criticized for having accuracies barely over 50%. Those were innocent times, as the best tests in the last 30 years have found accuracies barely over 40%, and tests in some states have found rates as low as 5%.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I'm guessing the gone right is that they didn't try this with Tabasco?

Idiots will work their way up to hot sauces. Eventually someone will do a carolina reaper challenge.

https://www.popsci.com/you-can-taste-garlic-with-your-feet/
    https://youtu.be/qiM3kZWPZtA
    There are two types of people in the world—people who think there's no such thing as too much garlic, and people who are wrong. No matter group you fall into, if you like fascinating science experiments, you'll want to try tasting garlic through your feet. In the latest installment of its Weird Food Tricks series, the American Chemical Society shows you both how and why this works.

VishNub on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    A lot of K9s are basically just officers' pets. The dog and/or handler either aren't trained to begin with, or their training isn't maintained properly.

The main manifestation of this is that there's a lot of them that smell drugs on the driver's seat of every car they check, because they smell butt, but this kind of shit happens, too. Lucky for the cow that it was something too big for the dog to properly mess up, unlucky for everyone else it was something that could properly mess up all present.

Is this a USA thing?
    Regular pets are definitely not K9 units and go through extensive training to be able to ride around on calls...

Some/most officers do adopt the dogs but it's not like fluffy is attending carjackings.

They aren't actually pets ("constitutional sheriffs" like to just bring their dog to work but it's not exactly normal), what I mean by "basically pets," is that K9s generally live with their handlers and while many (not all and barely most) states require police dogs to be certified, few if any require them to ever be recertified. Ongoing training gets neglected and the trained police behaviors start getting replaced with pet behaviors. So you have K9s who chase animals, alert on random interesting smells, or get defensive in situations where they shouldn't.

Drug checks are, as I said, the biggest symptom of this - once upon a time, drug sniffing was criticized for having accuracies barely over 50%. Those were innocent times, as the best tests in the last 30 years have found accuracies barely over 40%, and tests in some states have found rates as low as 5%.

Meanwhile the usual suspects on SCOTUS have ruled that you aren't allowed to ever challenge a dogs accuracy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

No, the gone right is that some idiot eventually will.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Next to the sun-your-taint challenge will be the dip-your-balls-into-ghost-pepper-sauce. I still don't see how this could go wrong. This is all good news gone good.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Next to the sun-your-taint challenge will be the dip-your-balls-into-ghost-pepper-sauce. I still don't see how this could go wrong. This is all good news gone good.

#BlackHoleSun, #GreatBallsOfFire

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Idiots will work their way up to hot sauces. Eventually someone will do a carolina reaper challenge.

I've already seen someone deliberately rub powdered Carolina reaper into their eyesv immediately after snorting it so it's not a far stretch

Madican on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I've already seen someone deliberately rub powdered Carolina reaper into their eyesv immediately after snorting it so it's not a far stretch

WTF

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I've seen that video. He also vaped a bunch of it. I'm pretty sure that guy isn't quite right in the head.

I have a Carolina Reaper paste a friend gave me.

I don't care what you think your tolerance is for spicy food, that stuff it to be handled with respect.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

WTF

The gone right is that the paramedics now have a new story to tell at the pub after hours.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

WTF

No joke this is hospitalization-levels of pain. How did they end up?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

WTF

Hot peppers being a nicely compartmentalized method of 'look what I can do!/ B U tuffs enuff?'

• Options

WTF

No clue. I don't even remember why I watched the video, but the dude vaped it, snorted it, then rubbed it into his eyes. It was bizarre to watch.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

WTF

No clue. I don't even remember why I watched the video, but the dude vaped it, snorted it, then rubbed it into his eyes. It was bizarre to watch.

BME Pain Olympics for the squeamish.

Edit: If you don't know what that is for the love of God DO NOT GOOGLE IT.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's not that bad with the fresh chillies, I've almost routinely rubbed 1.2-1.4 million Scoville chilli juice into my eyes* when I've been cooking with them**. It's apparently very much not the only way I'll learn.

*usually because I've been chopping the chillies and accidentally touched my face. Then assumed the tingling was due to an eyelash in my eye and gone to brush it out without thinking to wash my hands first.
    Powders probably going to be worse, and I'm not saying the experience was particularly pleasant but wouldn't say it's hospital level pain.

**Komodo dragon chillis, which aren't great - they're very hot but also just really peppery (like an extreme scotch bonnet) and Bedfordshire Super Nagas which are really nice. They've got a really strong fruity flavour and a hint of smokiness that still comes through even after you've added a bit of cream or coconut milk to tone down the madness of the heat. That said, both taste better than they look when we're talking this up-close.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Crikes. I got a little splatter on my hand when I hit a guy with some 2 million sc unit (IIRC) foam. It was a... vigorous sensation (the guy getting it in the eyes enjoyed it even less).

Even at half the strength, getting something like that in my eyes (or mouth)... *insert nopenopenope gif*

Then again, stuff with habenero peppers is usually my line of 'this has stopped being delicious and now is just unenjoyable.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Crikes. I got a little splatter on my hand when I hit a guy with some 2 million sc unit (IIRC) foam. It was a... vigorous sensation (the guy getting it in the eyes enjoyed it even less).

Even at half the strength, getting something like that in my eyes (or mouth)... *insert nopenopenope gif*

Then again, stuff with habenero peppers is usually my line of 'this has stopped being delicious and now is just unenjoyable.'

Some people apparently enjoy using tear gas as a condiment.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    It's not that bad with the fresh chillies, I've almost routinely rubbed 1.2-1.4 million Scoville chilli juice into my eyes* when I've been cooking with them**. It's apparently very much not the only way I'll learn.

*usually because I've been chopping the chillies and accidentally touched my face. Then assumed the tingling was due to an eyelash in my eye and gone to brush it out without thinking to wash my hands first.
    Powders probably going to be worse, and I'm not saying the experience was particularly pleasant but wouldn't say it's hospital level pain.

**Komodo dragon chillis, which aren't great - they're very hot but also just really peppery (like an extreme scotch bonnet) and Bedfordshire Super Nagas which are really nice. They've got a really strong fruity flavour and a hint of smokiness that still comes through even after you've added a bit of cream or coconut milk to tone down the madness of the heat. That said, both taste better than they look when we're talking this up-close.

I'm hoping you've at least learned to wash your hands well after cooking with them before you have to go to the bathroom.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    From the "Why?" desk, Vermont proposes emoji licence plates:
    State Rep. Rebecca White (D-Windsor) introduced the bill, which would allow drivers to add one of six available emojis to their license plate when registering a vehicle in Vermont. The symbols would be added in addition to the plate's registration number, and would not replace any letters or numbers assigned by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles nor those selected by the vehicle's owner.

"As long as they're appropriate, I'm all for it," said Mary-Jo Roldan.

The bill does not state which emojis drivers would be able to choose from. There were 3,019 recognized emojis at the time of the bill's introduction.

"I guess it's an OK idea. I wouldn't say it's good. I wouldn't say it's bad. It's not hurting anybody," said Pam Buck, of Weathersfield.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tastyfish wrote: »

I'm hoping you've at least learned to wash your hands well after cooking with them before you have to go to the bathroom.

Got to be careful when handling raw meat.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

• Options
    My brother once made some pico de gallo with serrano peppers and mixed it all by hand, without gloves.

And he only ever did that once, because his hands did not appreciate the pseudo chemical burns all night long

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    State Rep. Rebecca White (D-Windsor) introduced the bill, which would allow drivers to add one of six available emojis to their license plate when registering a vehicle in Vermont. The symbols would be added in addition to the plate's registration number, and would not replace any letters or numbers assigned by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles nor those selected by the vehicle's owner.

The bill does not state which emojis drivers would be able to choose from. There were 3,019 recognized emojis at the time of the bill's introduction.

"I guess it's an OK idea. I wouldn't say it's good. I wouldn't say it's bad. It's not hurting anybody," said Pam Buck, of Weathersfield.

Could bring back license plate spotting as a game for road trips

Spot the meme car!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Easy license plate identification is necessary and important. Adding a bunch of superfluous, ambiguous signals makes everyone's life harder for absolutely no benefit. And if you're running out of plates, then there's no way that adding a smiley face vs. a winky face is a better solution for accuracy and accounting than just adding more alphanumeric characters until you get to a ridiculous string length like 20 characters.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Easy license plate identification is necessary and important. Adding a bunch of superfluous, ambiguous signals makes everyone's life harder for absolutely no benefit. And if you're running out of plates, then there's no way that adding a smiley face vs. a winky face is a better solution for accuracy and accounting than just adding more alphanumeric characters until you get to a ridiculous string length like 20 characters.

Eh, it's not part of the actual license string, just arbitrary decoration. As such, it's not that much worse than anything on this page:
    https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/specialdesign.html

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What's the NATO alphabet word for the egg plant emoji?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    What's the NATO alphabet word for the egg plant emoji?

Charlie Oscar Charlie Kilo

• Options

Eh, it's not part of the actual license string, just arbitrary decoration. As such, it's not that much worse than anything on this page:

Ah, I see. Well, that makes a lot more sense, then. Still pretty stupid IMHO but whatever, it's not American government if you can't try to find a way to fuck it up in an attempt to be like a corporation and make a quick buck.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Some people apparently enjoy using tear gas as a condiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDm15yVx-Fs

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Some real stupid shit gets brought up here in Vermont, but the Senate and House did just pass paid family leave for parents and family care.

I mean, it probably won't get approved by our republican governor (ugh) but at least it's getting there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be more forward-thinking to just allow an arbitrary unicode character? If there's no matching approved emoji, just render the spot as an empty space. That way, anything that does get approved for the license plate font would be automatically filled in rather than forcing people to request a plate change manually.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Honestly I’d get rid of every single one of those and make everyone use the standard plate

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Honestly I’d get rid of every single one of those and make everyone use the standard plate

As annoying as I find vanity plates, and I find them pretty annoying, I'm totally on board with letting people pay the state more money so that they can put dumb shit on their car.

Like if a state passed a 100k surcharge per swear word on a license place I'd be a-ok driving behind "FukMgic" or "FkUrMom"

Because now not only do I know they suck as human beings I also know that they donated thousands of dollars for the privilege of advertising they're shitty human beings.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    As I understand it, they currently pay a bit more and the proceeds go towards various charities connected with whatever the thin on the plate is.

Which in theory is not a terrible thing but there are 55 of these special design plates (not counting those that are simply the standard design with a simple indicator for disabled parking or collector vehicle, which I’m fine with because it’s still the easily identifiable standard license plate at its core).

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Old story, but this reminds me of the guy who got 'NULL' as his license plate string.

You might think that his speeding tickets get assigned to NULL in the database and disappear. Instead, what happened is that when a license plate reading is unclear, it gets set to NULL. And since there was now an actual 'NULL' string in the database, all those tickets got sent to him.
    Then came the citations. Dozens of them, deposited in bulk to his mailbox. Parking violations, stand-stop violations, fines of $37, $60, $74, $80, from Fresno to Rancho Cucamonga. “I’ve never been to Fresno,” Tartaro says of the California city.
    That setup also has a brutal punch line—one that left Tartaro at one point facing $12,049 of traffic fines wrongly sent his way. He’s still not sure if he’ll be able to renew his auto registration this year without paying someone else's tickets. And thanks to the Kafkaesque loop he’s caught in, it’s not clear if the citations will ever stop coming.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Old story, but this reminds me of the guy who got 'NULL' as his license plate string.

You might think that his speeding tickets get assigned to NULL in the database and disappear. Instead, what happened is that when a license plate reading is unclear, it gets set to NULL. And since there was now an actual 'NULL' string in the database, all those tickets got sent to him.
    Then came the citations. Dozens of them, deposited in bulk to his mailbox. Parking violations, stand-stop violations, fines of $37, $60, $74, $80, from Fresno to Rancho Cucamonga. “I’ve never been to Fresno,” Tartaro says of the California city.
    That setup also has a brutal punch line—one that left Tartaro at one point facing $12,049 of traffic fines wrongly sent his way. He’s still not sure if he’ll be able to renew his auto registration this year without paying someone else's tickets. And thanks to the Kafkaesque loop he’s caught in, it’s not clear if the citations will ever stop coming.

If this is the case I'm thinking of, didn't the courts rule the government needs to fix that?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

If this is the case I'm thinking of, didn't the courts rule the government needs to fix that?

Probably. I haven't followed up on the case. But I think the case is emblematic of the chthonian horrors that most modern government, banking, and insurance systems are built on. I currently work as a Business Intelligence analyst at an insurance company, where my job is to retrieve data from truly ancient systems and present it in an intelligible form for management and customers. I have looked into the abyss and the abyss stared back at me. Things travel between systems as CSV files, where missing data might be denoted as 'Unknown', 'No information', 'NULL', or an empty string. You build code to account for those and pray that nobody invents a new string that breaks your code. The economy of the entire world runs on shit like this.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Yeah he actually sued and won. All the tickets were dropped and he got a bunch of money for being harassed by the government.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Probably. I haven't followed up on the case. But I think the case is emblematic of the chthonian horrors that most modern government, banking, and insurance systems are built on. I currently work as a Business Intelligence analyst at an insurance company, where my job is to retrieve data from truly ancient systems and present it in an intelligible form for management and customers. I have looked into the abyss and the abyss stared back at me. Things travel between systems as CSV files, where missing data might be denoted as 'Unknown', 'No information', 'NULL', or an empty string. You build code to account for those and pray that nobody invents a new string that breaks your code. The economy of the entire world runs on shit like this.

When I worked at the bank we had tons of records that technically all existed in accordance with regulation. Whether we could even find a computer to read those records was an issue no one had any interest in bothering with on the assumption it would hopefully never come up.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Considering that the guy picked NULL in a foolhardy attempt to dodge fines&fees I don't have a lot of sympathy for his plight. I might even call it karma.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
This discussion has been closed.