As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wikipedia tells me chlorine trifloride is even worse and we used to manufacture the stuff in bulk. The Nazis were going to use it in flamethrowers but it was too evil for them.

It was being shipped for use in rocket fuel and it ignited the steel tank, and he resulting fire burned several inches of asbestos, a foot of concrete, and several feet of dirt and gravel below that. When asked for comment one survivor screamed, "The concrete was on fire!"

You see guys on YouTube buy this stuff and other nasties like fluoroantimonic acid from chemical supply companies and use it to mediocre effect. That's because you can't actually buy the really nasty stuff, they send you the last stable precursor and you need to assemble it yourself. Instructions are not included because if you don't know already you've got no business screwing with something that will explode and cover the world in unquenchable toxic fire. When you buy fluoroantimonic acid, for example, you actually need to prepare it with hydrogen fluoride to get the real deal acid that dissolves glass and ignites rock.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah, turns out that there's nothing that's actually fireproof just very fire resistant.

Everything burns with enough heat.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Yeah, turns out that there's nothing that's actually fireproof just very fire resistant.

Not really. Everything burns with the right oxidzer is closer to the truth. ClF3 doesn't burn much hotter than a normal fire IIRC it just is really really good at reacting with things.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not really. Everything burns with the right oxidzer is closer to the truth. ClF3 doesn't burn much hotter than a normal fire IIRC it just is really really good at reacting with things.

RIP Apollo 1.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Yeah, by simply adding heat you will first melt then vaporize whatever you are heating up, and with enough heat eventually make a plasma of disassociated nuclear particles.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    New twist on the chicken crossing the road joke:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    A sentient shithouse, we're fucked...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Production values on Doctor Who just aren't what they used to be

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You might say they've really gone into the toilet?

HEYOOOOOOO.

• Options

Return of the TURDIS?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    New twist on the chicken crossing the road joke:

That's some crazy shit right there.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Why would you fight a beaver?

They are gigantic cuddly duckrodents. They mean you no harm.

They can be gigantic dicks though. One beaver used to taunt my grand pa. He would quietly chop down one of my grandpa's trees overnight and then right before he sailed the thing out into the lake he would slap his tail repeatedly until my grandpa went outside. I think the beaver just liked to hear my grandpa swearing at it. Beaver probably was like that because grandpa had to dynamite dams now and then so the lake would not flood.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If I weren't on my phone I'd go find the video of the flying porta potties spinning around and spewing everywhere

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

They can be gigantic dicks though. One beaver used to taunt my grand pa. He would quietly chop down one of my grandpa's trees overnight and then right before he sailed the thing out into the lake he would slap his tail repeatedly until my grandpa went outside. I think the beaver just liked to hear my grandpa swearing at it. Beaver probably was like that because grandpa had to dynamite dams now and then so the lake would not flood.

Maybe the beaver thought your grandpa was his friend and just wanted to show off his work...

Maybe in this story, your grandpa is the gigantic dick...

/mindexplosiongif

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Bad news: Mumbai has a ton of noise pollution due to people leaning on their car horns way too much.
    Gone right: Police are testing a system where if the honking gets over a certain decibel level, traffic lights stay red longer
    The project has a very smart and simple name: "The Punishing Signal." They connected decibel meters to a few signal poles around Mumbai. If the decibel levels ever went over 85 dB, the signal would reset and the light would stay red for longer.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Bad news: Mumbai has a ton of noise pollution due to people leaning on their car horns way too much.
    Gone right: Police are testing a system where if the honking gets over a certain decibel level, traffic lights stay red longer
    The project has a very smart and simple name: "The Punishing Signal." They connected decibel meters to a few signal poles around Mumbai. If the decibel levels ever went over 85 dB, the signal would reset and the light would stay red for longer.

If its green for you when approaching wouldn't this just encourage you to honk your horn so it stays green long enough for you to cross?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I can see Mumbai's pedestrians starting to carry air horns about...

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

That's fair. My personal sample size is only 1 and I had wood chip biscuits to feed it.

Having a content 45-lb hamster in your lap is pretty adorable.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It's a nice idea but there is no way something like this is not abused.

Edit: the traffic light thing, not the beaver.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    It's a nice idea but there is no way something like this is not abused.

Edit: the traffic light thing, not the beaver.

Is it weird that I feel bad you felt the need to clarify that? :lol:

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

That's a rather gnawty beaver.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

They probably just have the mic like twenty feet up. If they only did it in a handful of places, good luck sneaking up twenty feet of exposed traffic pole with cops and thousands of angry drivers watching.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Or they just tell people that the red lights will stay red longer and see if the placebo effect stops people honking

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

They probably just have the mic like twenty feet up. If they only did it in a handful of places, good luck sneaking up twenty feet of exposed traffic pole with cops and thousands of angry drivers watching.

Since the basic problem seems to be honking due to traffic congestion, and laying on the horn even when it doesn't do anything, messing with the lights at all sounds like it won't do anything. This is to try and encourage people to just lay off the horns in general as traffic creeps along.

How hard is it to install basic directional sensitivity too? So a bunch of people lay on the horn coming from the green light sidetrying to extend it (if that's even possible) and all right, it shifts yellow.

But like I said above, if the problem is traffic is that tied up, playing with the light timing isn't going to achieve much for you.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Or they just tell people that the red lights will stay red longer and see if the placebo effect stops people honking

You can see the lights have timers visible to the public, and you can see them get reset. I'm the video.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm the car that honks at 1 second remaining cause I was in no rush.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm the car monster that honks at 1 second remaining cause I was in no rush.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'm the car that honks at 1 second remaining cause I was in no rush.

And I'm the light that stays stopped an extra couple seconds because you honked

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Bad news: 9 years ago, this came out and the Internet got ahold of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Gone right:

Also, she looks to have put in effort to her singing - not the style I'd choose to listen to, but definitely improved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcO6q-vxrB8

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    But also just a few people honking wouldn’t change it. It has to get to a certain decibel level.

Yeah, they had to put that airhorn right next to the mic to get over the sound level reset. That means a fuckload of honking has to be going on from a bunch of cars in order to match. I can understand why the cops want to get this stupid horn-honking crap stopped, because the noise must be absolutely awful for a city that size.

I think the whole thing is a pretty dang good idea. They aren't doing anything draconian like issuing tickets for people honking their horns without reason, they're just throwing up some negative reinforcement directly linked to the issue. The less you honk, the faster everyone goes, and the city ends up quieter. 5

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    But also just a few people honking wouldn’t change it. It has to get to a certain decibel level.

Yeah, this is not something that one person could reliably effect, at least not without a horn modification that would probably get them beaten to death with spare tires the first time they used it.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Bad news: 9 years ago, this came out and the Internet got ahold of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Gone right:

Also, she looks to have put in effort to her singing - not the style I'd choose to listen to, but definitely improved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcO6q-vxrB8

Just don’t read further down that tweet to the replies. Someone named EE posted and things get... weird.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    How much of a sack of shit you have to be to go out of your way to trash a 13 year-old kid or to keep doing it years later.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    *gestures broadly at the internet*

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hell, replace "13 year old" with "television writer" and see how far that statement tracks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

If its green for you when approaching wouldn't this just encourage you to honk your horn so it stays green long enough for you to cross?

They probably just extend the all-red time.

broken image link
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

They probably just extend the all-red time.

That was my thought. Good for pedestrians though.

• Options
    Today's lesser known sign that we are living in the dumbest cyberpunk future:

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    OK so 2 things about those robots

1) They don't actually clean up anything, they just pretend to stand in the way of spills in an aisle
    2) Before they put the googly eyes on they looked like they were made by the goddamn Cylons. Now they look like the Cylons got high and then made them.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    OK so 2 things about those robots

1) They don't actually clean up anything, they just pretend to stand in the way of spills in an aisle
    2) Before they put the googly eyes on they looked like they were made by the goddamn Cylons. Now they look like the Cylons got high and then made them.
    You forgot constantly beep so you can tell it’s following you.

Also my kids are scared of it

This discussion has been closed.