Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Hopefully PAX will be an entire section of the game.
    Goumindong wrote: »
    PAX is in august. Game confirmed to be in december

The game is releasing first quarter 2020 and I would anticipate that to be closer to the end of the quarter.

I have no special knowledge but would imagine that the PAX demo will be a tarted up version of the one at E3.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Would not sucking the blood of con goers violate the Masquerade AND PAX's Don't Be a Dick guidelines?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Would not sucking the blood of con goers violate the Masquerade AND PAX's Don't Be a Dick guidelines?

It's fine if you go into the alley or onto the roof to do it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

The game is releasing first quarter 2020 and I would anticipate that to be closer to the end of the quarter.

I have no special knowledge but would imagine that the PAX demo will be a tarted up version of the one at E3.

I think what Goum means is that the game takes place in december, and so is responding to iarakura's musing that some of the game may be set at PAX.

• Options
    Oh, that makes sense!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Damn you people for putting amazing and completely impossible ideas in to my head!

It would be fucking amazing if there was a, at the very least, Faux-PAX convention as a set piece in Bloodlines 2. Double bonus points if they got Mike and Jerry to do the voices of the caricatures of themselves. Triple bonus points if they're vampires. I'm thinking Brujah for Mike and Tremere for Jerry. Wouldn't have to be anything big, just a fun easter egg.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nothing breaks my immersion like stunt cameos, so I'll pass on that.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Damn you people for putting amazing and completely impossible ideas in to my head!

It would be fucking amazing if there was a, at the very least, Faux-PAX convention as a set piece in Bloodlines 2. Double bonus points if they got Mike and Jerry to do the voices of the caricatures of themselves. Triple bonus points if they're vampires. I'm thinking Brujah for Mike and Tremere for Jerry. Wouldn't have to be anything big, just a fun easter egg.

Ok let’s do it
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Nothing breaks my immersion like stunt cameos, so I'll pass on that.

Oh ok cancel that

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Split the difference, DLC sidequest. Have to stop indy developer Chetryeka Games from releasing a video game that would break the Masquerade wide open.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well the convention center still does things in the winter... but its a lot less. And they're mainly trade shows/technical stuffs. It would be a lot harder to convince people to go to a con if it was dark when they got there and dark when they left and dark when they went out to get lunch.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    A thinblood related story bit is spinning up where I am in LA By Night.

Really going well to hype me more for this game.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

According to Steam it'll be out March 2020.

I think that's the case as they want to release before the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk hits in April.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Anybody been thinking of your characters and what you are going to play in this?

I want to run Brujah with mist powers so that I can be classic, Bram Stoker style Dracula.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Anybody been thinking of your characters and what you are going to play in this?

I want to run Brujah with mist powers so that I can be classic, Bram Stoker style Dracula.

Tremere all day, work out the rest as I go.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

Was thinking between Brujah and Tremere. The more I watch LA By Night the more I'm leaning harder towards Brujah. Seeing a few Brujah in that have like-able personalities makes me feel like it isn't completely farfetched to have a Brujah on the friendlier side.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I was going to do Tremere then Malkavian but this made me shy away from the Malkavian:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-31-improving-the-depiction-of-mental-illness-in-vampire-the-masquerade

I wanted the old cheesy non realistic version of mental illness where its goofy and I might yell at a stop sign. I don't need realism in my entertainment. I play to escape realism, give me fun.

Tremere should be fun though.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was an amusing aspect that they gain nothing from cutting. But we'll need to see what they actually do.

• Options
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I was going to do Tremere then Malkavian but this made me shy away from the Malkavian:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-31-improving-the-depiction-of-mental-illness-in-vampire-the-masquerade

I wanted the old cheesy non realistic version of mental illness where its goofy and I might yell at a stop sign. I don't need realism in my entertainment. I play to escape realism, give me fun.

"I want people to have an understanding that the Malkavians aren't an accurate representation of mental illness, but are influenced by it," says Mitsoda. "But at the same time, being a stand-in for people with similar problems, I don't want them to be purely comic relief.

"As I said before, I'm pretty tired of mental illness being used as a crutch in writing -- the twist or punchline being the character is crazy. It's pretty obvious when a writer has just written themselves into a corner if they use the 'They're crazy' excuse to justify sudden shifts in motives or character traits."

He concludes: "If the Malk experience gives players a fraction of perspective of someone dealing with something close to this, that will be a win for me."

That sounds like a good approach, what's your issue with it, again?

To say "I play games for escapism, for fun" is a convenient excuse, and one that doesn't address the real issue of depicting real-world issues in "fun" ways for the sake of "escapism," despite the fact that those depictions can be hurtful and harmful to people who actually suffer from those issues.

• Options
    A game can contain escapism without victimising the mentally ill

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

That actually sounds kinda cool. My favorite Malk bits in the first game were the times your madness was creepy or disquieting, not funny. Like the TV reporter talking to you or the voices you would hear.

There is also still ways to have bizarre or amusing without the sort of "butt of joke" Maybe your insight sometimes manifests as a visual hallucination when someone is lying, and you see it when, say, some investment banker is telling you how wealthy his and how you should let him manage your portfolio. Or maybe a blood-covered Mr. Rogers expy is following you around just out of reach G-Man style.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Playing a vampire that drinks blood to do magic isn’t enough escapism?

• Options

"I want people to have an understanding that the Malkavians aren't an accurate representation of mental illness, but are influenced by it," says Mitsoda. "But at the same time, being a stand-in for people with similar problems, I don't want them to be purely comic relief.

"As I said before, I'm pretty tired of mental illness being used as a crutch in writing -- the twist or punchline being the character is crazy. It's pretty obvious when a writer has just written themselves into a corner if they use the 'They're crazy' excuse to justify sudden shifts in motives or character traits."

He concludes: "If the Malk experience gives players a fraction of perspective of someone dealing with something close to this, that will be a win for me."

To say "I play games for escapism, for fun" is a convenient excuse, and one that doesn't address the real issue of depicting real-world issues in "fun" ways for the sake of "escapism," despite the fact that those depictions can be hurtful and harmful to people who actually suffer from those issues.

My problem with it is that I can't imagine a real world way to depict mental illness where I would want to play one. "Ooooo let me role play some depression that sounds nice in a video game." I want it to be non realistic and fun. I can't be clearer than that. I want to walk around with a puppet on my arm that I think is real and only speak through that or something equally as goofy and unrealistic.

I understand that may not be what you want. Thats ok. We can disagree. I mean its not like I'm not going to get the game because of it. It just lowers my desire to play a malkav to about 0. I'll run Tremere then maybe Toreador.

• Options
    edited August 2019

My problem with it is that I can't imagine a real world way to depict mental illness where I would want to play one. "Ooooo let me role play some depression that sounds nice in a video game." I want it to be non realistic and fun. I can't be clearer than that. I want to walk around with a puppet on my arm that I think is real and only speak through that or something equally as goofy and unrealistic.

I understand that may not be what you want. Thats ok. We can disagree. I mean its not like I'm not going to get the game because of it. It just lowers my desire to play a malkav to about 0. I'll run Tremere then maybe Toreador.

There is quite a vast area between fish malk and depressingly realistic depression, that can be fun/engaging without making light of mental illness.

He also mentions that he isn't going for 100% accurate portrayal, but more "inspired by." So it won't be arguing with a stop sign, but it might mean trying not to freak out in the middle of a conversation because of something you are hallucinating.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think the first Bloodlines got it both delightfully right and delightfully wrong.

The Malkavian PC was not realistic at all but very fun.

Dr. Alistair Grout, the Malkavian Primogen, was an exquisitely done Malkavian, and their only mishap was not really having him around more.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

That's an actual presentation of some severe trauma disorders.

Not to say there shouldn't be realistic (edit: and gruesome, and dark) stuff in games (like, loads of games have killing), but turning serious mental trauma in to hA hA wAcKy vAmPiRe is probably not the way to go.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I guess my issue that people always play Malks for laughs. They're so weird and wacky and silly! They talk to themselves, it's crazy, my Malk playthrough will be my fun and goofy playthrough!

It just feels kinda off.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I guess my issue that people always play Malks for laughs. They're so weird and wacky and silly! They talk to themselves, it's crazy, my Malk playthrough will be my fun and goofy playthrough!

It just feels kinda off.

Speaking as somebody who has personal experience with mental illness: give me floppy Dr. Seuss hats, pimp coats, conversations with stop signs, and fishmalk dementation all day every day, please.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Yeah well, that's why you aren't writing the Malkavian stuff for the game. Maybe wait and see how the reception of the Malkavian writing is before starting a character in that clan, but writing it off because it isn't lolrandumb isn't an especially compelling argument, nor one that's going to garner much sympathy from folks here.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It just feels kinda off.

Speaking as somebody who has personal experience with mental illness: give me floppy Dr. Seuss hats, pimp coats, conversations with stop signs, and fishmalk dementation all day every day, please.

Yes... Definitely. I had mild to moderate depression and anxiety with a side of mild OCD (which aside from the ocd is pretty common among the gaming community from my experience). Fortunately it was relatively easily controllable with meds but none of it was in any way a fun experience. I don’t want the game of “have a panic attack and break down crying in front of everyone”, “spend the first hour of every day convincing yourself of a reason to get out of bed” and the ever popular “spend half a day with a overwhelming sense of dread that something bad is going to happen to me or my family because I deviated from my morning routine or didn’t say my prayers properly or whatever minor thing”. Not that I wouldn’t support someone if they made a game like that for their own therapeutic purposes or to increase awareness but it probably is not something I would want to play.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I think there's a pretty big gulf between "deeply immerse the player in the darkest aspects of realistic mental illness for hours on end" and "portray mental illness as a goofy, silly, crazy fun time that contributes to public misconceptions and harmful stereotypes."

It kind of reminds me of the arguments about portrayals of women in games, how it seemed to be "maybe they shouldn't all look like porn stars in fetish lingerie" versus "don't try to cover up everything like a religious extremist."

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think the best way would be to just have a perfectly normal character whose derangement can only manifest itself in very particular(and possibly inconvenient) situations, while also occasionally having insight from the MMN.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    To be fair, I did not find Brian Mitsoda's remarks alarming. He sounds like he'll be taking a moderate approach. Bloodlines 1's take on Malkavian madness would still work well even if toned down a bit. I just think the idea of accurately portraying mental illness or treating it with respect shouldn't have a higher priority than Malkavians being generally fun and funny. I'll be perfectly fine with it if there's the occasional moment where the bleak reality of the Malk experience intrudes, so long as it isn't like that most of the time.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I think there's a pretty big gulf between "deeply immerse the player in the darkest aspects of realistic mental illness for hours on end" and "portray mental illness as a goofy, silly, crazy fun time that contributes to public misconceptions and harmful stereotypes."

It kind of reminds me of the arguments about portrayals of women in games, how it seemed to be "maybe they shouldn't all look like porn stars in fetish lingerie" versus "don't try to cover up everything like a religious extremist."

1) It was goofy in the first one. This is a sequel. I think it reasonable to hope they keep things from the 1st one that people enjoyed and move it to the second one without too much change to the recipe. I'm pretty sure the 1st one did not ruin public perception on mental illness.

Just slightly bummed it won't be the same. The game can still be fun without it.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I get the feeling from his comments that there's a middle ground to be struck as well. He essentially said they had to be included because "that's the expectation with a Bloodlines game" -- I think based on the other quotes he's not going to turn it into an overwhelmingly depressing and alarming experience.

I'm also generally on the side of the original Malk being so zany that it's hard to be particularly offended by them. Like a lot of the other posters here I've had struggles with similar issues and it never bothered me. Anecdotal evidence all around, but I introduced the game to my coworker (40 year old nerdy gaming mom) who confided in me that she has struggled with depression and such, and she beat the game 4 times and loved her Malkavian run the most (this was about 4 months ago). Hell, my boss at the time was actively confiding in me all of his recent psych evaluations as he was seeking a diagnosis for a condition he had been dealing with untreated his entire life, and we were also bonding over our love of Bloodlines at the same time.

I guess I want there to be room for TVs talking to you and fun cat in the hat hats with my supernatural magically insightful video game insanity. It certainly never felt like "This is what bipolar people deal with every day!" -- the next level stuff like talking to a stopsign and mind control always made it feel cartoonish and obviously not trying to accurately mimic a real life mental illness. I think Mitsoda will handle it well though.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    'Goofy' Malkavians have been a tabletop problem for decades.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Reading it over again, it feels more like the guy isn't saying "Malks can't have anything funny happening, because mental illness isn't funny" and more "Malks in BL2 won't be about doing 'crazy' things like dress up in Stripper/BSDM clothes and argue with stop signs, because that's disparaging to people with mental illness."

I don't think going that route would prevent bizarre and even funny things from happening. Just that it's not because you did something bizarre or funny, but because you hallucinated something bizarre, or your insight lead leads to someone freaking out in a comical way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Malkavian in the original was, outside of costume choices, not particularly affected by mental illness as much as they were completely overwhelmed by their newfound insight.

• Options
    Also we're forgetting the most important thing: Pink from Redemption is mentioned in Chicago By Night and therefore is now canon.

• Options
    The Malkavian in the original was, outside of costume choices, not particularly affected by mental illness as much as they were completely overwhelmed by their newfound insight.

Makes me think of Detective Walenski from Dark City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dbjFLtyw7w

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I get the feeling from his comments that there's a middle ground to be struck as well. He essentially said they had to be included because "that's the expectation with a Bloodlines game" -- I think based on the other quotes he's not going to turn it into an overwhelmingly depressing and alarming experience.

I'm also generally on the side of the original Malk being so zany that it's hard to be particularly offended by them. Like a lot of the other posters here I've had struggles with similar issues and it never bothered me. Anecdotal evidence all around, but I introduced the game to my coworker (40 year old nerdy gaming mom) who confided in me that she has struggled with depression and such, and she beat the game 4 times and loved her Malkavian run the most (this was about 4 months ago). Hell, my boss at the time was actively confiding in me all of his recent psych evaluations as he was seeking a diagnosis for a condition he had been dealing with untreated his entire life, and we were also bonding over our love of Bloodlines at the same time.

I guess I want there to be room for TVs talking to you and fun cat in the hat hats with my supernatural magically insightful video game insanity. It certainly never felt like "This is what bipolar people deal with every day!" -- the next level stuff like talking to a stopsign and mind control always made it feel cartoonish and obviously not trying to accurately mimic a real life mental illness. I think Mitsoda will handle it well though.

I actually really liked the original malk playthrough...

Honestly if I ran an oWOD game I would probably discourage players from playing malks, because it can get a bit silly and out of tone, but I never had a problem with the Bloodlines malk or Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls.

I just don’t think you could adequately tell the story of a truly mentally ill player character without making it basically into a Eternal Darkness style psychological horror game or making it into a journey of self reflection and overcoming like Celeste. But I guess we will see what they come up with.