As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I did a Malkavian run first.

Mistakes were made.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just realised that I have absolutely no idea who I'm playing as first. Would have been Gangrel.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I figure since it's a narrative choice this time around, I'm going ride it out and see where the story takes me.

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »
    I figure since it's a narrative choice this time around, I'm going ride it out and see where the story takes me.

That's a good point. How fun!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

I'm gonna try to do this, but then I'll stop the game when I have to make a choice and still deliberate for a few hours.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah mark me down as well for first run being me choosing whatever feels best for my roleplay up to that moment.

I definitely intend this to be a game I play through more than once so after the first go, then I can start debating with myself about which clan to look at next.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Part of me wants to do that.

But also what clan I go with may change what Thinblood power I'd want.

Hrmm.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Everyone knows the answer is

Run 1) Tremere
    Run 2) Malkavian

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    To be fair, I will probably do that for my first run (as that's how I preferred to do things in nWoD games anyway), but I will probably avoid Malkavian stuff.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Malk as first run. Doing it second would just result in me analyzing the world to see what is Malk crazy and what is Malk insight. I'd like that to happen after, on reflection of the game.

• Options
    And this is why having Mitsoda aboard makes all of the difference:

"This links to the million dollar question, which is “Will playing as a Malkavian be a different experience with unique dialogue?” and yes, yes it will, in a similar way to the original Bloodlines. “Because it is the expectation,” said Mitsoda, “We cannot deviate from the expectation of what the Malkavian experience is.”"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think they're going to do things at least a little differently because everyone is aware that the early 2000s depiction of mental illness in Bloodlines is... not great.

• Options
    Yeah, I came back to mention that. Without context that quote could sound like EXACTLY THE SAME, but that's not what he's saying.

The full article with quotes is pretty great, and they're clearly taking a different path.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/29/malkavians-confirmed-for-bloodlines-2-we-talked-to-brian-mitsoda-on-the-new-clan-reveal/

The prior quote makes me happy because it's "Of course we're going to have Malks, and of course it has its own dialogue". That's the first thing on the chopping floor for a "good enough" kind of sequel.

Tl;dr for the rest is that they wont be as zany, they're doing lots of research, and Mitsoda is unhappy with how mental illness is generally portrayed in media.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

Run 1) Tremere
    Run 2) Malkavian

But what if you will only ever play once?

The decision becomes that much more difficult.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Oh crap I forgot about thin blood. Want to try a thin blood only run, but seems not worth it for first run.

• Options
    The lead writer on this had previously written a series about the sex and gender dynamics in Bloodlines and how they could be improved.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ok! Fine! I WAS WRONG!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The reveal trailer made it sound like a Malkavian player character will deal with paranoid schizophrenia which can be a really unsettling thing to be around. It's certainly one way to make the clan weakness actually unpleasant if they pull it off.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The reveal trailer made it sound like a Malkavian player character will deal with paranoid schizophrenia which can be a really unsettling thing to be around. It's certainly one way to make the clan weakness actually unpleasant if they pull it off.

Much like any story that uses an unreliable narrator which is what malkavians always struck me as ( they will tell you what’s going to happen it’s just jumbled and it lacking the context to immediately decipher it as ) it all comes down to the writing . If the writing is engaging you will be in a state where you are confused but you are super interested in the plot and attempting to make sense of it . If it’s bad you come to the conclusion that making sense of it doesn’t matter because you don’t care about the plot to begin with and go play something better.

• Options
    One of the things that sold me on the first game from previews which wasn't actually in it was the idea that Malkavians would be constantly hearing whispers with everything from puzzle hints to urgent instructions to kill. There's honestly a ton of ways to do this but many of them are in questionable taste.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

Run 1) Tremere
    Run 2) Malkavian

I agree completely. How do you feel about Ventrue? I hate them.

• Options
    I don't necessarily hate them but they are boring and I never made it past Santa Monica with one. High five!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    My first playthrough was Grengel, murdering everything as Manbearpig Vampbatwolf.

Was a goody two shoes though, so I never frenzied and then have to clean up after myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Of the clans shown for the game, I'm leaning hard into Brujah, as I don't have a gangrel option.

Also I loved the trailer for that clan.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Brujah first, Malk second.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    So the people who made Serial Cleaner are making a Telltale-style VTM game, apparently.

https://youtu.be/yxDgdtxhIPs

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    For Switch and PC. Which is, like, the most unlikely platform pairing for a Western dev. I'm actually wondering why it's not also coming to the Xbox One and PS4.

Still, I'm interested in learning more.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Draw Distance" is not a good name for a company because Googling it isn't going to give you shit about the company itself anywhere on the first page.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Real Coteries of New York, on Bravo this summer

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If the prince is a Tremere, they stole my campaign.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I don't think we discussed in here how the Malk they used for the Malk trailer looks to be the same character they have been using on the other promo stuff. The long haired fellow reaching his hand out.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yup yup yup even though it's early days looking good so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WwiMU2l9j8

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Yea, definitely got me hyped even it was just a little taste.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Unfortunate that the sequel to the game with the best facial animation in the history of videogames appears to have basically the worst facial animation in the history of videogames (so far, at least).

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well it does say pre-alpha :D

• Options
    edited June 2019
    oops

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Q1 next year? Fuck I hope that's more February than March (without killing their employees, of course). I want time to savor this before Cyberpunk comes out.

Fuck that's gonna be a good couple of months.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Well it does say pre-alpha :D
    Yeah I mean I'm holding out hope it gets better. But, nobody has surpassed the original game in many years, and in fact it's very hard to get close (most games don't do great - it's such a tough job) so if I had to bet, I'd guess that faces are not going to be a highlight of this one, unfortunately. Still, I might be wrong! I'd love it if it turns out I am.

• Options
    Well, the club proprietors still got class.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Q1 next year? Fuck I hope that's more February than March (without killing their employees, of course). I want time to savor this before Cyberpunk comes out.

Fuck that's gonna be a good couple of months.

No kidding right.