Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] New York By Night, back for the third dance

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    'Goofy' Malkavians have been a tabletop problem for decades.

In point of fact, it wasn't uncommon for storytellers to straight up ban Malks because there was such a consistancy for them to be derpy morons when other people are trying to get into the gothic horror mood of the game. So prevelent was this issue that I seem to recall White wolf included a list of actual conditions for players to choose from as opposed to "daffy duck circa 1934".

Gaddez on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, for the brief tine I played VtM way back, we just didn't allow anyone to be Malks (had Malk NPCs) because it was just easier that way.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That’s the easy way out. You could always just take them on a case by case basis. There’s no requirement that a Malk have cartoon schizophrenia.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Exactly. This isn't the tabletop, the writers control how everything acts.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Exactly. This isn't the tabletop, the writers control how everything acts.

Which is why I am less worried about Malk in the game.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2019
    Fish malks have been essentially written out of v5. They simply don’t exist in the sense that they used to. Malkavian madness only affects them in specific circumstances now, if you’re being weird all the time you’re doing it wrong.

Tube on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Some new Gangs Coteries of New York Info:
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York presents the conflict between two vampiric factions: the traditionalist Camarilla and the fiercely independent Anarchs in New York
    It's a unique, atmospheric, single-player narrative experience, set in the rich, fully-licensed, globally-recognized universe of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition.
    Coteries of New York present players with choices that matter, aiming to deliver a dark, atmospheric, and emotional narration mixed with morally challenging dilemmas, and many potential paths leading to the story’s finale.
    We plan to include significant branching and reactivity, so that the players feel their decisions influence the world around them and encourage multiple playthroughs for those invested in the world and story of Coteries of New York.
    You are a newly-fledged vampire in New York. You must learn what it means to be one of the Kindred in a huge, vibrant, contemporary metropolis.
    You will make choices for your character, including which storylines to pursue and how to approach the different situations presented. You will be presented with branching dialogue choices, memorable characters - all among iconic locales of New York City. You’ll be able to use Disciplines appropriate to your clan to charm, sneak, intimidate or kill, and your choices will determine your path.
    You’ll build your Coterie and learn your undead companions’ deepest secrets… or see them abandon you.
    Although you start off as part of the authoritarian vampire sect called the Camarilla, you soon learn that other factions exist - chief among them, the independent Anarchs. Your paths will inevitably cross theirs, but whether you choose to shun them, or try to learn more about what they represent, will be your decision.
    While the game is primarily text-driven and story oriented, several mechanics reflect the dark truths of being one of the Kindred.
    Hunger is used to indicate the constant need for blood that vampires must deal with nightly. Characters have the opportunity to hunt for blood during quests. Ignoring this need leads to warnings in the game’s fiction, and if disregarded for too long, to consequences that include succumbing to the Beast
    Humanity is a measure of how moral and rooted in humanistic principles the character is. This rating is used by the game to modify the results of choices in quests, offer additional story choices, or even lock certain choices out.
    Finally, the Masquerade rating tracks how well the character blends in with mortal society. Staying inconspicuous and hidden from prying eyes is even more important for vampires than ever, due to the existence of the so-called Second Inquisition, a clandestine hunt for vampires concealed within global government agencies. Secrecy and not flaunting your supernatural powers in the sight of mortals is of utmost importance.

ss_13c7a48e37cc1327ac6bbac0986451218ff1ed75.1920x1080.jpg?t=1565617202
    ss_2f82cb1a3a965db0101b6c45d8308a074302427c.1920x1080.jpg?t=1565617202
    ss_a8333c6f2abbc1978f2aab61f1776ad2bcea15df.1920x1080.jpg?t=1565617202

Color me interested.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Real Vampires of New York

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Some new Gangs Coteries of New York Info:
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York presents the conflict between two vampiric factions: the traditionalist Camarilla and the fiercely independent Anarchs in New York
    It's a unique, atmospheric, single-player narrative experience, set in the rich, fully-licensed, globally-recognized universe of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition.
    Coteries of New York present players with choices that matter, aiming to deliver a dark, atmospheric, and emotional narration mixed with morally challenging dilemmas, and many potential paths leading to the story’s finale.
    We plan to include significant branching and reactivity, so that the players feel their decisions influence the world around them and encourage multiple playthroughs for those invested in the world and story of Coteries of New York.
    You are a newly-fledged vampire in New York. You must learn what it means to be one of the Kindred in a huge, vibrant, contemporary metropolis.
    You will make choices for your character, including which storylines to pursue and how to approach the different situations presented. You will be presented with branching dialogue choices, memorable characters - all among iconic locales of New York City. You’ll be able to use Disciplines appropriate to your clan to charm, sneak, intimidate or kill, and your choices will determine your path.
    You’ll build your Coterie and learn your undead companions’ deepest secrets… or see them abandon you.
    Although you start off as part of the authoritarian vampire sect called the Camarilla, you soon learn that other factions exist - chief among them, the independent Anarchs. Your paths will inevitably cross theirs, but whether you choose to shun them, or try to learn more about what they represent, will be your decision.
    While the game is primarily text-driven and story oriented, several mechanics reflect the dark truths of being one of the Kindred.
    Hunger is used to indicate the constant need for blood that vampires must deal with nightly. Characters have the opportunity to hunt for blood during quests. Ignoring this need leads to warnings in the game’s fiction, and if disregarded for too long, to consequences that include succumbing to the Beast
    Humanity is a measure of how moral and rooted in humanistic principles the character is. This rating is used by the game to modify the results of choices in quests, offer additional story choices, or even lock certain choices out.
    Finally, the Masquerade rating tracks how well the character blends in with mortal society. Staying inconspicuous and hidden from prying eyes is even more important for vampires than ever, due to the existence of the so-called Second Inquisition, a clandestine hunt for vampires concealed within global government agencies. Secrecy and not flaunting your supernatural powers in the sight of mortals is of utmost importance.

Color me interested.

Sounds like a pretty ambitious visual novel. Or perhaps an RPG without the combat? I mean all this in the best way possible.

Anyways, I'm intrigued.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Only vaguely VtMB2 related, but I adore RTX and am super looking forward to it.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Okay, this is much:

https://youtu.be/QEYGez6JLZ8

Oh my god, I think that's the exact same newscaster.

Yep, Brian Mitsoda. :lol:

That explains it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A few things I noticed there right off the bat (HA, vampire joke!). First is that it would seem the dancing animation is pretty much perfectly perfect, so the most important game feature is already worked out.

The second is that this build of the engine is called "Frasier", which is nice bit of wry humor.

The third thing is that this thinblood is clearly some sort of millionare for being able to afford an apartment that size in downtown Seattle.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Fraiser" was the code name for the game before its development was public.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    That uh looked really rough around the edges to me

• Options
    I think the combat is universally reported to be pretty janky, I'd be surprised if they weren't working on that pretty heavily.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Plus while less jank is better, I'm not exactly going into this expecting a jank free experience.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I think the combat is universally reported to be pretty janky, I'd be surprised if they weren't working on that pretty heavily.

Isnt that a feature at this point?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A few things I noticed there right off the bat (HA, vampire joke!). First is that it would seem the dancing animation is pretty much perfectly perfect, so the most important game feature is already worked out.

The second is that this build of the engine is called "Frasier", which is nice bit of wry humor.

The third thing is that this thinblood is clearly some sort of millionare for being able to afford an apartment that size in downtown Seattle.

Well... When you're a vampire expenses start to become less of an issue. You're not paying for food or medical care or insurance... Your only ongoing concern is space with probably some minor transportation expenses. Plus now that we're no longer buying our own weapons there is probably loads of money left over for space. 2,000 sq feet around pioneer sq is around $5k/month. That apartment is probably meant to be around 1300 sq ft even if not accounting for the 3d game expansion*. . Which is large, but only $3k/mo. If we give a quality discount we might say 2k to 2.5k. So between $24k to $60k/year which is a lot but if those are your only expenses not that huge.

Plus. You probably have a patron. Who may be hundreds of years old and have had a lot of that time to construct income schemes for themselves. Who might like it if new vampires were indebted to them. And you might be able to get a loan from a vampire banker too. Either way, doesn't seem immersion breaking.

*Basically all indoor locations in 3d games tend to get a bit to a lot bigger than they actually are because of character navigation issues.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If it's anything like the original, that apartment will be supplied for you rather than coming out of your character's theoretical pay check. Also, I think they have a roommate?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    If it's anything like the original, that apartment will be supplied for you rather than coming out of your character's theoretical pay check. Also, I think they have a roommate?

That'll be great if the roommate operates on their own schedule and is there at random intervals.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I know that there's a character who's another thin blood, but I can't recall if they announced whether he's a neighbour or a roommate. He's in the trailer, offering the player a blood bag.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Plus while less jank is better, I'm not exactly going into this expecting a jank free experience.

Definite jank in the combat, but I almost feel like the game needs some jank for an authentic Vampire experience.
    Goumindong wrote: »

Well... When you're a vampire expenses start to become less of an issue. You're not paying for food or medical care or insurance... Your only ongoing concern is space with probably some minor transportation expenses. Plus now that we're no longer buying our own weapons there is probably loads of money left over for space. 2,000 sq feet around pioneer sq is around $5k/month. That apartment is probably meant to be around 1300 sq ft even if not accounting for the 3d game expansion*. . Which is large, but only $3k/mo. If we give a quality discount we might say 2k to 2.5k. So between $24k to $60k/year which is a lot but if those are your only expenses not that huge.

Plus. You probably have a patron. Who may be hundreds of years old and have had a lot of that time to construct income schemes for themselves. Who might like it if new vampires were indebted to them. And you might be able to get a loan from a vampire banker too. Either way, doesn't seem immersion breaking.

*Basically all indoor locations in 3d games tend to get a bit to a lot bigger than they actually are because of character navigation issues.

Vampire Accounting accepted, the game is now sufficiently plausible.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    "Looks jank"

Eyeballs "pre-alpha build" in corner of gameplay video.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not worried about the jank at all because it's pretty explicitly an alpha.

It does have tons of atmosphere already, though, and I'm way more interested in that. Personally, I hope night is a realtime thing that is actually enforced; you can start in indoor mission at any point at night and safely return home, but I genuinely want nighttime to pass during the game. Really hate having it completely frozen in place all game.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    "Looks jank"

That is not what pre alpha is , I really fucking hate how developers have started labeling everything as pre alpha to avoid criticism. The same way they started labeling demos as a “beta” and promising changes like two weeks before launch .

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    "Looks jank"

That is not what pre alpha is , I really fucking hate how developers have started labeling everything as pre alpha to avoid criticism. The same way they started labeling demos as a “beta” and promising changes like two weeks before launch .
    All "Pre-Alpha" means is that they're in a testing stage. "Beta" is supposed to closely resemble the final production code. In both of the cases you provided, labeling software that isn't going to be released for another ~7 months as "pre-alpha" and a demo for a final product as "beta" is reasonable.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    That uh looked really rough around the edges to me

Yep, looks like a sequel to Bloodlines alright.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There's a particular game... mood, let's call it, that feels like comfort food to me. Or like sitting under a blanket when there's a thunderstorm outside. I think it stems from the original Deus Ex coming along at the right time to completely colonize my mind, and anything that comes along now that looks similar enough triggers all the right pleasure receptor. Elements like:
    - first-person
    - taking place at night
    - friendly zones where you can walk around in the open without worrying about enemies
    - melancholy music (I don't know enough about how music works to quantify this in any meaningful way)
    - a detailed environment that's aiming for simulationism (even if it doesn't quite achieve it)

That Bloodlines 2 video hit every note for me. I'm so excited about this.

• Options
    A couple things, jank-wise. First is that, as has been pointed out, this is majorly alpha footage. By all appearances, most of the other game elements are in place, and it isn't weird to hold off on fine-tuning animation; it would really suck to blow hundreds of hours of animation work because a piece of coding changes physics collisions or something. Animation is a big polish item because you can design most games with rudimentary placeholder animations until you've basically built the whole game, then make the animations look nice.

The other part of this, and this might be intentional, is that these are vampires and whatnot that we're talking about and they've got superhuman speed/strength. They should throw a punch at about a million miles an hour, otherwise it's just a normal human punch. No, I don't think this is the polished final look, but I think physical attacks are going to actually be pretty quick.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The things I loved about the original Bloodlines were the subtlety of the story, the characterization of the vampires that didn’t rely on people telling you, “X vampire is like this”, and the behind-the-scenes political machinations of centuries-old beings.

Jank doesn’t even really factor in, for me.

Same with Alpha Protocol. (Goodbye, any possibility of a Tube agree)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The things I loved about the original Bloodlines were the subtlety of the story, the characterization of the vampires that didn’t rely on people telling you, “X vampire is like this”, and the behind-the-scenes political machinations of centuries-old beings.

Yeah, it's basically a total non-factor for me, just don't want to see people lambasting a nice pile of alpha footage for not looking super-perfect-done.

It's been my experience that the games which sacrifice some polish for some heart and interesting elements are the ones that really have great stuff to them. They want to be interesting more than looking like somebody spent 500 hours refining character gaits to perfection.

• Options

I fucking loved alpha protocol , so sad it never made xbox bc. Should get the steam version one of these days.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

I fucking loved alpha protocol , so sad it never made xbox bc. Should get the steam version one of these days.

You missed the train for that one. It got pulled last month.

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »

You missed the train for that one. It got pulled last month.

That’s a shame , too bad my 360 died .

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Here's the demo with some commentary from the creative director, covers a lot of the basics and things already talked about but there's also things like brief talk about the fence and more background of the state of the story at this point in the game etc. Plus some talk about the ui etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc6urcYt0fU

there's no OMG SCOOPS but I found it pretty interesting.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    faction-posters-pioneers-logo-2c47ed.jpg

https://www.bloodlines2.com/en/the-pioneers
    “We made this city and we will never let anyone forget that.”

Having seen control slip away over the years, the Pioneers are increasingly unhappy with the state of modern Seattle. While harboring dreams of once more ruling the city, they have since been forced to accept the rules of another...

Lou Grand seems more competent than LaCroix, so there's that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Having seen control slip away over the years, the Pioneers are increasingly unhappy with the state of modern Seattle. While harboring dreams of once more ruling the city, they have since been forced to accept the rules of another...

Not exactly the highest bar to clear. Dude didn't even manage to get a newly-sired fledgling killed off.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Not exactly the highest bar to clear. Dude didn't even manage to get a newly-sired fledgling killed off.

To be fair the fledgling accelerated through the learning process faster than any neonate had any right to. If they had progressed at pen & paper rate they would have been toast.

Also I think it bears mentioning that LaCroix had it set so that if they didn’t die, his goals would still be accomplished.

He wasn’t the smartest Prince compared to the other forces in LA, but he wasn’t a total moron all the time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Also he has a delicious mystery drink named after him!