Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Certainly could be natural. Looks like a polished slice of a puddingstone-style conglomerate. Big old cobbles, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Certainly could be natural. Looks like a polished slice of a puddingstone-style conglomerate. Big old cobbles, though.

Conglomerate isn't "natural" in the sense I mean, though. If you put a bunch of stones into cement and then slice it up, I would consider that "manufactured to look that way."

Edit: ok I read further down the wiki article, the first paragraph made it sound like putting stones into cement. But it's a naturally occurring process that does that? OK. Still hideous.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Looks ok to me (depending). The piss bathroom looks great imo.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Honestly I imagine that the original owner was in the granite business.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the red/white stuff looks like the walls have been sliced open and are bleeding/infected

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Looks ok to me (depending). The piss bathroom looks great imo.

I have good news, one of my cats will make your bathroom look like that for free.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I think all of those could look beautiful in the right context/application. Which is... not that.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »
    When I read the title of this tweet in my notifications, I thought "worst stone? There is no such thing, all stone is beautiful!"

I stand corrected.

It's slightly mind-blowing to consider how much it costs for them to cover their walls in custom stone pieces for each wall instead of tiles. Especially since tile - even tile of that same stone - would have been so much prettier.

Whatever kind of stone the last picture is, white with gold or brown shot through it, it looks exactly like plastic.

The kitchen stone is unsalvageable, but does that stone come naturally that way from the earth, or did they manufacture it to look so hideous?

Edit: Dear lord, there's more:

That has to be manufactured to look so ugly, right?!

I don't hate the last one, and the very first one is actually kind of nice...just not on that scale. The red is bad and should feel bad. The yellow. I dunno, my gut reaction is ambivalence. Rest assured though, I'm sure my wife would find those all hideous. When we went paint shopping we discovered/decided that my brain does not in any way process color the way hers does, and I'm convinced I see color somehow wrongly.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I think all of those could look beautiful in the right context/application. Which is... not that.

Yeah, I think if it had been used for just the floors, or a single flat wall all those stone could work for something (maybe not the kitchen and bar stones, I don't like them).

But they all are so busy and have so much contrast and that is combined with all the little details and faceting on the walls and columns and that just does not work.

Like, look at the Barcelona pavilion by Mies van der Rohe as a pretty famous example.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    When I read the title of this tweet in my notifications, I thought "worst stone? There is no such thing, all stone is beautiful!"

I stand corrected.

It's slightly mind-blowing to consider how much it costs for them to cover their walls in custom stone pieces for each wall instead of tiles. Especially since tile - even tile of that same stone - would have been so much prettier.

Whatever kind of stone the last picture is, white with gold or brown shot through it, it looks exactly like plastic.

The kitchen stone is unsalvageable, but does that stone come naturally that way from the earth, or did they manufacture it to look so hideous?

Edit: Dear lord, there's more:

That has to be manufactured to look so ugly, right?!

I don't hate the last one, and the very first one is actually kind of nice...just not on that scale. The red is bad and should feel bad. The yellow. I dunno, my gut reaction is ambivalence. Rest assured though, I'm sure my wife would find those all hideous. When we went paint shopping we discovered/decided that my brain does not in any way process color the way hers does, and I'm convinced I see color somehow wrongly.

Would you care to elaborate on this? I'm just curious, so if not that's totally fine :smile:

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    When we went paint shopping we discovered/decided that my brain does not in any way process color the way hers does,

Would you care to elaborate on this? I'm just curious, so if not that's totally fine :smile:

Basically this is me and my wife:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTme7k5sV-o

Except to an actual believable degree. Like, I'll say a shade looks purple, and she'll be like, "nah it's more wine, there's too much red" and I'm like "...???" and just agree.

Basically shades of red/purple and shades of blue/green I have a hard time distinguishing very slim differences. It's like, ever hear two musical notes, and when you hear them together you know they're different, but you can't really tell which is higher and which is lower pitch? It's like that. The ability to differentiate specific shades is different between us, either mine's below average or hers' above. Probably both. But she also paints, so she's likely a little more practiced.

I just get her back by playing music and quizzing her on where the down/up beats are. She has no ability to "find 1" (the first beat of the measure). I was in band all through school so it's just ingrained in me anymore.

• Options
  • Options
    That kind of color differentiation is definitely a skill you can learn, and blending your own colors is the fastest way to do it. You know how at the paint desk at a hardware store, there are like two whole bays of nothing but shades of off-white? When you're first starting out, all those colors are infuriatingly interchangable, and you have no idea why they're always the ones that customers are mad about and trying to return.

And then after six months of mixing paint, just about everyone can tell you which colors you'd blend to get that shade, and have a pretty good guess at the actual ratio. Even though you're talking about a few drops of tint in a gallon of white paint. And they can definitely tell which one will look like a nice warmish white on a bookshelf but look like the ghost of Pepto Bismol if you try to paint a whole room with it.

I mean, the customers won't ever believe you until they have you ruin four gallons of paint and try it themselves, but it's a neat feeling to have your sensorium expand like that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    With anything like paint colors or furniture/rugs, etc. I may not be able to describe what I like, but I can instantly say if I like it or not at least. Usually works out ok for shopping with wife.

When we were repainting our basement, i couldn't tell why those four samples of light green were different, but immediately liked one over the others. Wife is like Tox's, talking about how one is warmer or more red tones, etc.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    @Tox see if you're actually bad at it: https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PhlAO4k.jpg

this is so much easier on a better monitor

• Options
    edited March 2021
    eym7k0tl4web.png

Oh, thank god. I'd have hated to find that I wasted hundreds of hours of my one wild and precious life at the paint desk without something to show for it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I started that test and had to stop almost immediately, every time I moved something around what I thought was in place previously didn't look the same anymore.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I thought I was going crazy at first because it'll let you drag one tile to the right, but not one tile to the left.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was having a bit of trouble on the laptop, until I put the brightness up from 20% to 50%.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I got a 0 and I'm saving a screenshot of that on my hard drive for the next time I get in a color argument.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah, I think if it had been used for just the floors, or a single flat wall all those stone could work for something (maybe not the kitchen and bar stones, I don't like them).

But they all are so busy and have so much contrast and that is combined with all the little details and faceting on the walls and columns and that just does not work.

Like, look at the Barcelona pavilion by Mies van der Rohe as a pretty famous example.

Yeah, I could see the piss marble looking ok as an accent wall somewhere. Even the head cheese marble looks ok as the backsplash, just needs different floors, non-shiny cabinets, and more neutral counters.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    eym7k0tl4web.png

Oh, thank god. I'd have hated to find that I'd wasted hundreds of hours of my one wild and beautiful life at the paint desk without something to show for it.

Wow yeah the monitor quality makes a huge difference. I couldn't see the difference on some of those pink ones, but as soon as I moved it to my other high quality monitor instead of my web browsing monitor it was night and day difference.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Interesting.

zc6j4g8wqq3c.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I scored 16 but then I hit back on my browser after I compared with my age group

It was the first row I did worst on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I got the exact same result as Rolo, a 2, between the 14 and 15. There were two colors on each of the 4 things that I just could not differentiate between at all.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I got a 4, which I thought was fairly good till I saw the rest of you

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I got a perfect 0 but I feel like that was luck more than anything.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Tox see if you're actually bad at it: https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

8cmyromyz8ln.png

I...

• Options
    Huh.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    v00dilmgs6fw.jpg

Neat! I attribute this to having a monitor literally made for illustrators.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    rzf31eolsp4e.png

OK I did it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Aw yeah.

95rmwv56n7qz.jpg

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Whoo! I also got a zero!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    @Tox see if you're actually bad at it: https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

If you enjoyed shifting colors around there's a game/app called I Love Hue where that is the entire point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I also got a zero on that. My wife and I disagree on what color something is fairly often, and I've always assumed that I'm the one who's been wrong even though it's felt like I couldn't be at times.

Now to get her to take it as well.

• Options
    Bold.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We have a discussion with a lender tomorrow.

We found new construction being done in an area just outside where we were looking. Theres not much there but houses, but its in our price range and we can like...customize our house.

We have a friend hooking us up with a realtor.

Its happening. Dear god.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We have a discussion with a lender tomorrow.

We found new construction being done in an area just outside where we were looking. Theres not much there but houses, but its in our price range and we can like...customize our house.

We have a friend hooking us up with a realtor.

Its happening. Dear god.

As an engineer my preferred options with a long term house was a new build or something we could gut to the studs. Sadly in this market, there is nothing in the latter category that wasn't scooped up by some flipper asap, so we went with a new build as well. The idea of being able to run Cat in wall to all the rooms and make sure there are plenty of outlets makes up for the stupid 30 year water/sewer line costs.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Yeah, it's nice not to have to worry about the wiring, too. The first house I ever bought had like one or two ungrounded two-prong outlets per room. The second time I told my realtor that I would not be looking at any homes that had not been rewired more recently than 1990 or so.

GDdCWMm.jpg