As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So last night at 1 am I wake up from sleep freaked out. I could hear a scratching noise on the ceiling of my bedroom. It was alarming because I've never heard any noise from up there, mostly because the only thing up there is an attic.
    An attic accessible only through a door on the outside of the house.
    That door is also like 15 feet off the ground with no staircase leading up to it.

It went on for a few minutes, so I got up , got the ladder, which inconveniently comes up short by like three feet, and hauled myself into the attic.
    Turns out the noise was a mouse in a trap, who had died by the time I got there. That was sad.

But then I looked around for any others, and came to a realization. I've been up in the attic in the daytime before and it was unsettling but generally okay.

Going up there in the dead of night is just genuinely fuckin creepy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDIEKXruiY

At least, as one friend suggested, my house is kinda Halloween ready I guess?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ah, so you're the ghost that's now wearing Psykoma's skin. Welcome to the forums!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like Phantasm is a bit more magical term. Ooo maybe a Revenant even.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Our outside faucets are leaking, one of them pretty badly. Couldn’t get a hold of a plumber so Mori’s dad came over to help us do emergency repairs. I hope he knows what he is doing...

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Our outside faucets are leaking, one of them pretty badly. Couldn’t get a hold of a plumber so Mori’s dad came over to help us do emergency repairs. I hope he knows what he is doing...

Worst case you can turn the water off to the outside? I know in my old house I had that ability. Then again it was in Colorado.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Worst case you can turn the water off to the outside? I know in my old house I had that ability. Then again it was in Colorado.

I have the master key to shut the water off to the whole house because there is no shut off value in the house :rotate:
    I really think this house was proof of you can only cut so many corners

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Leaks ninety five percent of the time are a pretty simple fix.

You just swap out the gasket and maybe the other thingie (sorry I’m very hung over) or at worst you just need to reseat the valve which requires a tool and hard work.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yup. We had that happen last winter.

They just replaced the gasket and ball valve* and it's been fine.

*Pretty sure that it; just got a new faucet basically, no big plumping work needed.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    There are also little cheap plastic covers you can put on that screw on just like a hose would. Depending on where the leak is depending on where the leak is.

Not a fix of course but it at least keeps the water from going everywhere.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    So last night at 1 am I wake up from sleep freaked out. I could hear a scratching noise on the ceiling of my bedroom. It was alarming because I've never heard any noise from up there, mostly because the only thing up there is an attic.
    That door is also like 15 feet off the ground with no staircase leading up to it.

It went on for a few minutes, so I got up , got the ladder, which inconveniently comes up short by like three feet, and hauled myself into the attic.
    Turns out the noise was a mouse in a trap, who had died by the time I got there. That was sad.

But then I looked around for any others, and came to a realization. I've been up in the attic in the daytime before and it was unsettling but generally okay.

Dude how did you get a table into that attic if the door is 15 feet high? Are you a magician?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Dude how did you get a table into that attic if the door is 15 feet high? Are you a magician?

Everything in there is where it was before I moved in. I genuinely don't know how everything got there

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Probably was a staircase at some point, and it either collapsed or they ripped out rather than repair.

There's no internal access? Like a boarded up hatch?

• Options
    Nope, nothing. Even checked behind that pile of doors which was left up there for some reason.
    I think that part of the house was built in the early to mid 1900s, and that may have just been the style of the time?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Ghosts did it, obviously.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The neighbor across the street from me before he moved in there was a ton of cactus from the driveway covering nearly the whole side yard. All last week he tore down the cactus and repainted his house a battleship grey
    Both are questionable but it's his house

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Ugh, we have a leak in one of our skylights.

Leaks from the bottom left corner but only whens it's fully closed. If it's open partially it doesn't leak.

Father in law is coming now week to take a look. Hopefully it's something he can fix, really can't afford new windows!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I love the way fall arrives on our front tree

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/fr/mtrb1mt5k979.jpg[/img]

The spectrum just keeps moving down the tree from the top to the bottom, getting deeper as the season progresses, until the top starts losing leaves and working its way down.

e: Shit, even resized that's a meg and a half. Will edit in a smaller one shortly.

E2: okay, resized to 1/4 and then compressed 80%. Not the best quality, but you get the picture :p

Just after sunset, so blurry, but here's a better example of the spectrum

a2jijsp96fs6.jpg

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Ugh, we have a leak in one of our skylights.

Leaks from the bottom left corner but only whens it's fully closed. If it's open partially it doesn't leak.

Father in law is coming now week to take a look. Hopefully it's something he can fix, really can't afford new windows!

It depends where the water's coming from, but it shouldn't be too expensive. New flashing kits for skylights run around £80 each depending on the size of the window. If the pane itself is blown and the frame is OK then there's companies that'll just sell you a new pane of glass that you can fit in place. Glass itself is surprisingly cheap, even double-glazed units.

I only know the price of new flashing kits because every single one of our skylights leaked and none of them had the proper amount of flashing, so when we replaced the roof I had them re-flash all 6 skylights

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Poor homeowner in Iowa found their basement turned into a slasher film set:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My mom has just put her house up for sale because she is retiring in december and it will probably take a while to sell because the market here is very poor. The photos really make the house look beautiful, I can't believe I grew up in such a fancy house (although it didn't look as neat and tidy when we were kids). The listing price is $289,900 and it even has a separate basement apartment. I hope it sells for what she wants. I'm biased but it's a nice house and worth more than $290k IMO.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    My mom has just put her house up for sale because she is retiring in december and it will probably take a while to sell because the market here is very poor. The photos really make the house look beautiful, I can't believe I grew up in such a fancy house (although it didn't look as neat and tidy when we were kids). The listing price is $289,900 and it even has a separate basement apartment. I hope it sells for what she wants. I'm biased but it's a nice house and worth more than $290k IMO.

Where is the house?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    It's in a suburb of St.John's, Newfoundland.

• Options
    So, turned out the plumber had to replace the entire outdoor valve which meant cutting into the wall

So not only was the work more expensive than we were hoping (was $600; would have only been $200 or so if the whole valve hadn’t been damaged) but now we have to call someone to get the wall repaired.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Taya wrote: »
    It's in a suburb of St.John's, Newfoundland.

You could swim to Portugal from there!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Has anyone ever swam (swum?) across the atlantic ocean?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Isn't that like 1000 miles? I'm gonna say no without looking it up.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    According to google the atlantic ranges from 1800 to 3000 miles wide.
    Apparently a dude "did it" in 1997, though he would swim for eight hours a day in 2-4 hour chunks, then rest and eat in a boat, and it's uncertain how much distance he covered while in the boat.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The longest distance swum is 140 miles, across the Adriatic Sea, depending on your definition tho I guess!

Janson on
  • Options
    Apparently a dude "did it" in 1997, though he would swim for eight hours a day in 2-4 hour chunks, then rest and eat in a boat, and it's uncertain how much distance he covered while in the boat.

Yeah that seems like a big ol' cheat. You could say you've swum the Atlantic if you've ever just swam 1800 total miles in your life using the same logic.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I thought some girl tried it a while back, but maybe that was a different ocean. I remember she had some kind of inflatable neck ring so she could nap without getting into a boat.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I thought some girl tried it a while back, but maybe that was a different ocean. I remember she had some kind of inflatable neck ring so she could nap without getting into a boat.

I bet she had such a case of prune toes

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I once watched a video of a man swimming across the English Channel. It talked about how their best guess for fuel was that it was going to require about 60,000 kCals of energy expenditure, so he purposefully put on a bunch of weight. When he got out on the other side he was noticeably thinner.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The first person to successfully swim from Cuba to Florida had to get a special mask made to do it, because a previous attempt failed when she got a jellyfish in her mouth.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The first person to successfully swim from Cuba to Florida had to get a special mask made to do it, because a previous attempt failed when she got a jellyfish in her mouth.

Good thing I don't remember my dreams. I think that one might work it's way into the more disturbing ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

i have that dvd

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yeah that seems like a big ol' cheat. You could say you've swum the Atlantic if you've ever just swam 1800 total miles in your life using the same logic.

Not really? Those people who ride all the across the country on a bike don’t do it on the same day either.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Not really? Those people who ride all the across the country on a bike don’t do it on the same day either.

Seems to me like even that is cheating too? Unless the bikers make it part of the challenge that they only sleep x number of hours every night and only take x number of breaks for a minutes each? That way others competing can challenge the leaders by sleeping less hours or taking fewer breaks.

I'm just guessing here because I've never followed these challenges before so I just don't know how the competitors define a "challenge" anyway.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mmm yes, and I’ve never been to America before because I stopped and changed planes and didn’t fly straight there.

You are vastly underestimating how much the challenge is of the task is just having the mental fortitude to complete it.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

I am laughing because this is so ridiculous and horrifying

Good lord

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Seems to me like even that is cheating too? Unless the bikers make it part of the challenge that they only sleep x number of hours every night and only take x number of breaks for a minutes each? That way others competing can challenge the leaders by sleeping less hours or taking fewer breaks.

I'm just guessing here because I've never followed these challenges before so I just don't know how the competitors define a "challenge" anyway.

Its the act of doing it. Even if you rode only a mile a day and it took 10 years to cross the US, you still crossed the US on a bike, and that is still an impressive feat.

My friends rode across the US once, they had to hit X number of miles a day because they had their return flight booked ahead of time. They said it lessened the experience. They would ride by a beautiful mountain lake with a campground and couldn't stop because they still had 40 miles to go to their destination, which more often than not was a shitty RV park.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981