Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Bring back sunken entertainment areas, I say

I want to have my fondue party in a grotto

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Bring back sunken entertainment areas, I say

I want to have my fondue party in a grotto

Ye gods no, the sunken lounge has killed off far too many grandparents from falls. And grottos? Bacterial orgies, the lot of them!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    A squirrel is routinely digging up my bonsai elm and I am completely at a loss here. Do I move it inside? If so does a windowsill provide enough light?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    A squirrel is routinely digging up my bonsai elm and I am completely at a loss here. Do I move it inside? If so does a windowsill provide enough light?

I don't know how much light they need, but you'll need a cage and probably some nuts to feed it

oh wait

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So it turns out we not only have carpenter ants, we have termites. Ugggggghhhhh.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Just let me have the bonsai dammit.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So it turns out we not only have carpenter ants, we have termites. Ugggggghhhhh.

anyway you can trick them into fighting each other

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

anyway you can trick them into fighting each other

The thought makes me want to play SIM ANT.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Playing that game as a kid was an educational experience. It correctly taught me that red ants are jerks.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Just let me have the bonsai dammit.

One of the odd things I really meant to look into as you could not import or export bonsai in California
    as there was some really nice looking ones as various yard suppliers, Some were older than a I would think [30+ years old}
    Still Bonsai is one of those things I would get into as set up is just the first hurdle of the care of them. The really bonkers thing is you can get trees online from places like amazon and ebay

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    I like bonsai because it's something you devote far more attention to on a daily basis than most plants. There's something appealing in the idea of a plant that you care for your whole life, and may well outlast even you.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hi people any ideas on how the o disassemble this fixture?

Usually I find the diffusing plastic will slide the the side. Or you can can just squeeze or lever the holding out, but everything feels pretty fixed in place and I don’t want to ruin it too much, (it is just the garage though so not the worst of things break)

bbzfhf9o3lv3.jpeg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Is that a window? Can we see the other side? Or is it a light?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I have some unfinished work in progress projects from my unfinished work in progress project:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I have some unfinished work in progress projects from my unfinished work in progress project:

I guess it's easy to get planning permission for home extensions approved when you're sleeping with a councillor?

THE CORRUPTION GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP, PEOPLE!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    FYI the difference in price between getting rid of carpenter ants and getting rid of termites is the difference in price between buying a new front door and buying a new garage door. Sigh.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    :bro: Sorry you need to poison your entire home to get rid of bugs, the true heirs of our planet. That's a bad beat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The odd thing when I was cleaning up my back yard I saw a texas spiny lizard {never seen one before} So I thought like the gila monster it was someone's pet they turned loose
    But the whole area is overran with lizards from blue tailed to the spiny lizard I have seen in other areas I have seen a whip tail but I thought they avoided urban areas
    The outcome of this I have not heard crickets like I usually would during the summer

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I guess it's easy to get planning permission for home extensions approved when you're sleeping with a councillor?

Look, if I hadn't believed in her ability to cater to my personal interests to my satisfaction I never would have used my pen to mark her box.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Look, if I hadn't believed in her ability to cater to my personal interests to my satisfaction I never would have used my pen to mark her box.
    Will those joke ever get old?

I, for one, say no.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    got my old man's vintage reading couch reupholstered

it used to have this hideous red and yellow paisley pattern all over so I decided to go Restrained

Sumptuous

Classical

ioneRGc.jpg?1

it did cost like 800 USD though which thankfully I could afford

but I think my dad would approve

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Debonair

Have you checked for hidden compartments? That looks like the kind of chair that would have them.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Whoa, eight hundo huh. I have this fairly nice wing back chair that we got from an estate sale. But it's a truly hideous pink. We bought a bunch of cool tropical fabric for another project and have just draped some leftover fabric over the chair. Looks good in a kind of throw together way actually. I've toyed with actually getting the chair reupholstered with the fabric, but can't really justify spending hundreds on a chair that cost me maybe twenty dollars.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's called a Couch in English?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I mean, what else would you call it

does it qualify as an armchair? It's certainly no sofa

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    My brother does want to get back into reupholstering as it was one of the things he did to pay for law school just he bemoans the quality of items people leave out
    As it is a joke we would skin one of the couches leaving the covering [after he measures it} taking the frame just the only couches I have seen were rather low to the ground and tiny}

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I thought couch and sofa was the same thing. I would probably call that an armchair.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean, what else would you call it

does it qualify as an armchair? It's certainly no sofa

I'd call that an armchair

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Debonair

Have you checked for hidden compartments? That looks like the kind of chair that would have them.

I would add one then stash a flintlock pistol and a copy of the constitution in it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    god, fucking finally

for the past four months I've been living with my mom since my old contract ran out just as the whole corona thing started in earnest

and since a month and a half ago when my furlough ended and I started getting paid again I've been looking to move out to a new place, since the old apartment is no longer available

but the rent prices gang, the rent prices

I don't get paid much, right? working for an NGO doesn't make the big bucks. after taxes, which are automatically deduced from the salary every month here, I make roughly the equivalent of $2,150-$2,300 per month

and I thought hey, national crisis, unprecedented period, surely housing prices would go down, right? or at least I might be able to find something equivalent to the place I had before?

fucking NOPE

price ranges of ~$900-~$1,600 a month for a 40m2 (430ft2 I think) hole in the wall? get the fuck out of town

I was getting desperate but today, my savior Larissa showed up on the rental websites

580 USD for a three bedroom 72m2 (775ft2) apartment, in a nice part of town, with only $87 in property tax every two months

now there's gotta be a catch here, right? and there is! whole building is going earthquake-readiness refurbishment, which is always an excuse for landlords to also spruce up their apartments

aside from the constant work on the building's outside and foundations for the next two years, they will be coming into the actual apartment at some point to add another room and expand the balcony

which will be... rough, to live through, to say the least; especially considering this new "work from home" reality

but hey, the place I'm getting, for the price? a golden goddamn ticket I am not about to turn down

and you know I'm bringing my fancy armchair with me

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Anyone have any good recommendations for a wet/shop vac that fits onto those 5 gal buckets?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is the bucket a necessary part of the transaction? My experience has been that the shop vac motors that snap to any bucket tend to be a lot less powerful than the ones that have their own base.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Is the bucket a necessary part of the transaction? My experience has been that the shop vac motors that snap to any bucket tend to be a lot less powerful than the ones that have their own base.

I'd prefer it just for the kind of gunk I need to clean being mucky and gross.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I personally would recommend getting a good shop vac with its own base and just being prepared to hose it out when you're done (most of them have a drain to accommodate this).

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I personally would recommend getting a good shop vac with its own base and just being prepared to hose it out when you're done (most of them have a drain to accommodate this).

Hmm that might work too, any recommendations on that?

• Options
    I have a 16 (20? something around there) gallon Ridgid that I've been quite pleased with. I can't find the exact model on Amazon, I picked it up at Home Depot, but it has a very powerful motor. I've used it to pick up piles of stones and debris before. Also handles liquids well and has a drain at the base of the bucket.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I have Shop-Vac one that has been good to me, it's got a stainless steel tank with a drain so very easy to clean out no matter the gunk.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Plus you can cry and nobody will hear you. Because it's very loud with the Shop-Vac on.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This is the one I have.

makita-canister-vacuums-xcv11z-64_1000.jpg

It does what I need it to do. I've only had it for about 6 months but it feels like it could pick up a bowling ball.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Got my septic tank pumped the other day but the guy says the filter fell off and he can't retrieve it with the hose. So now I gotta buy a new filter and install it myself. I hate septic work.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)