Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    How does one clean out the vent line?

Generally you hire somebody to do it. You can by a kit to do it yourself, but you risk ending up like my former upstairs neighbor who lost a brush in her vent line and they had to cut through her floor to get it. Good times.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Hey home thread: Is it possible/smart to install a dryer with minimal (like 2") rear clearance if you're using a side vent kit?

We're trying to upgrade and discovering that our laundry closet isn't really deep enough to accommodate most modern units.

as long as the vent run is straight, it should be fine (I'm guessing that's what the side vent kit is for?). I think 4" is pretty standard though.

I'll have to check the measurements but I thiiiiink I can do it with one 90 degree turn.

you may look into flex duct since you could arc it for better air flow

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cleaning the lines isn't really difficult, you just unhook it from the dryer and get out the visible chunks, if your hose runs through walls or whatever you should pay someone, but the DIY kits are easy, it's just a big ass wire pipecleaner. you jam into the pipe and spin it to get the chunks out.

Not really worth the effort to pay someone. If you've got flex line you can just cram it back together and give it a shake.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I was quite tired this morning. I figured out because of the all the banging and construction I probably got 8 hours total of sleep from Monday-Wednesday. So when I came home this morning I got ambushed by her. All the form is a consent form letting her build the fence
    Yeah not signing that at all
    The reason my brother just wants her to finish the fence is because of all the wildlife in the area and how they wander around as well as her dogs just getting the fence was that
    Still I looked up though I did not get a quote I just need to get a land survey to check the property lines as her quip of I am following the fence line is wrong
    The sad part is I could afford putting up the small part and fixing the two sides of the fence {I planned on doing it this last weekend but this happened} I am going ot get some quotes and see {I know where the property line is because when her father hit the railroad ties long ago and took them out they took their time replacing it so I think that's why she thinks the railroad times are on her side of the yard

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    well yeah, it's got two (2) kitchen sinks!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    well yeah, it's got two (2) kitchen sinks!

and you have multiple ways to dry your laundry

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    two bedrooms AND two sinks AND a corner holding the leftovers from an appliance sale? For under 3k? Bargain.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That's a gas stove!!

Why?!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    That's a gas stove!!

Why?!

how else would you get dryer lint fireballs started

• Options
    ok
    My neighbor came over yesterday asking if we had a problem her finishing the fence on the other side of her property No I said
    but the really strange thing was she offered $100 to me to sign the paper
    Still I know getting a survey done is expensive here and I am playing a game of chicken with her trying to force her to get it first as I have a ton of bills to pay this paycheck {At least I know it's not the lean times again but still}

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Her offering money for you to sign that paper is a dead giveaway that she's building on your property and she knows it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    100 bucks for something that could devalue your property by thousands of dollars is a fucking insult.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    ok
    My neighbor came over yesterday asking if we had a problem her finishing the fence on the other side of her property No I said
    Still I know getting a survey done is expensive here and I am playing a game of chicken with her trying to force her to get it first as I have a ton of bills to pay this paycheck {At least I know it's not the lean times again but still}

Just start removing the fence. It's clearly on your property.

Alternatively, you'll happily sign, for a nominal fee of $50,000.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    ok

@Brainleech This is bad advice that will get you in trouble and under no circumstances should you do this.

You need to talk to some kind of actual legal services about this instead of randos on a video game forum.

New Mexico Legal Aid

The NM Bar runs free legal advice clinics for Vets. Next one is supposed to be on June 9th.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    One of these fuckers stung my hand while I was sitting at my desk last night.

Now I think I need to call an exterminator to deal with these shits, because I'm guessing if it was inside the house, its nest is either in the house, on the house, or really damn near the house.

This part, especially with having a cat in my house, is particularly worrying me
    the baldfaced hornet has a unique defense in that it can squirt or spray venom from the stinger into the eyes of vertebrate nest intruders. The venom causes immediate watering of the eyes and temporary blindness.

• Options
    ok

@Brainleech This is bad advice that will get you in trouble and under no circumstances should you do this.

You need to talk to some kind of actual legal services about this instead of randos on a video game forum.

New Mexico Legal Aid

The NM Bar runs free legal advice clinics for Vets. Next one is supposed to be on June 9th.

Well I need to as I know the city has said was a civil matter as well as the county
    Today the company claims to have permission to build the fence. They have a fence permit but the picture is a bad computer printout with red highlighted vaguely over a yellow thick highlight around her yard from a overhead view

I know I can ill afford it right now but seriously I did not want to go down this road but it seems I have to

• Options
    edited May 2020
    ok

New Mexico Legal Aid

Well I need to as I know the city has said was a civil matter as well as the county
    Today the company claims to have permission to build the fence. They have a fence permit but the picture is a bad computer printout with red highlighted vaguely over a yellow thick highlight around her yard from a overhead view

I know I can ill afford it right now but seriously I did not want to go down this road but it seems I have to

that means someone printed off a map from google or something and drew what they thought were property lines and didn't have a proper survey done

You'll get basically architectural plans with a real survey:

Like so -

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that contractor should not be using shitty jpeg screenshot for it's blueprints, what the fuck

They should lose their license

And your neighbor should pay a fine, and then pay to have your property restored to it's original condition

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    City planning department is where it lands. This is absolutely a city code enforcement issue.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Start building on her property

Make a shitty jpeg with the property line running through her kitchen

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    schuss wrote: »
    City planning department is where it lands. This is absolutely a city code enforcement issue.

The city washed it hands of it
    Good morning,

The resident was given a fence packet at Number wing Ave. They were in violation of not having a permit to construct the fence. If you feel the neighbor is still encroaching onto your property you can escalate this issue in the courts.

Respectfully,
    Jerry Ortiz
    Code Enforcement Supervisor
    As I am going to get the survey done then go find a lawyer forcing her to take down the fence and replace it correctly at her expense and pay the lawyer/court costs

I changed the address for my protection

Brainleech on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sounds like they only addressed the possible issue of the neighbour not having permission to build a fence and just ignored the issue of where she is building that fence. You definitely need to get that lawyer and force someone to come out and do the survey, indicating exactly where the property line is. Good on you to see that.

[Edit]
    It's also completely bullshit that the city is refusing to do its job here with respect to the property lines. Just so dumb.

LaOs on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Our harvest!

7ter95owizt5.png

I've managed to keep the critters from eating my peaches this year by means of a bird net. I didn't want to use it but whatever-it-was had completely cleaned out my peaches last year and I wanted to eat some for myself.

Also as you can see from the provender the raspberry vine is thriving. I'm very pleased with it. Apples and limes still need a bit more time before I can pick anything. Banana trees continue not to sprout any flowers. There is one tiny pomegranate on one of my two pomegranate trees.

Also I don't remember if I mentioned, but all my strawberries died again, and I've decided they're too fussy for me, in this area. Also the orange tree had some fruit early on, but the fruit all got blown away in some windstorms in the early spring, so we'll have to wait next year. And the Lemon didn't bloom anything, I think it doesn't like where I've planted it, I might need to move it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

The city washed it hands of it
    Good morning,

The resident was given a fence packet at Number wing Ave. They were in violation of not having a permit to construct the fence. If you feel the neighbor is still encroaching onto your property you can escalate this issue in the courts.

Respectfully,
    Jerry Ortiz
    Code Enforcement Supervisor
    As I am going to get the survey done then go find a lawyer forcing her to take down the fence and replace it correctly at her expense and pay the lawyer/court costs

I changed the address for my protection

You, as a private citizen, cannot enforce your own property lines. That's part of municipal power/responsibilities.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I did a house thing, thread. I finally got around to getting some magnetic knife holders and put them up. Now I can continue my weird knife collection.

nzu5nr90w0mx.jpeg

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I did a house thing, thread. I finally got around to getting some magnetic knife holders and put them up. Now I can continue my weird knife collection.

nzu5nr90w0mx.jpeg

What's the leftmost one?

What's the 3rd thing from the left?

While we're here, what's the rightmost one?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    On the chop scale, the leftmost one is a heckin' chopper.

What glue did you end up using?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The left most one is Serbian chef knife. I like it because it feels big dumb and heavy and once I start cutting with it it just keeps on going. The third one is a bread knife with what I assume is a bandsaw blade and it is essentially set up like a hacksaw where the wood provides rigidity for the blade. I like it because it is as sharp as the dickens and since the blade is so small and you hold the entire side ways you get a real good look at what you are doing.

The last one there is a small paring knife taken from Vivienne’s grandmother's kitchen when she passed away. The two in the middle with the lighter handles were also taken from there.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    On the chop scale, the leftmost one is a heckin' chopper.

What glue did you end up using?

Just something from the adhesives aisle called selley.s hold up, seems to do the job. Took 48 hours to dry though.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I have a bread knife like that, and really like it because I'm both shit at eyeballing the proper size for a slice of bread, and maintaining the proper size throughout, and the wooden gap is a good guide

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Have you tried the media?

nzu5nr90w0mx.jpeg

What's the leftmost one?

Also why do you have a cutting board for coffee/tea?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Have you tried the media?

nzu5nr90w0mx.jpeg

What's the leftmost one?

Also why do you have a cutting board for coffee/tea?

That's a steaming hot bowl of chicken soup.

It goes beef, chicken, fish, veggies.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I have a bread knife like that, and really like it because I'm both shit at eyeballing the proper size for a slice of bread, and maintaining the proper size throughout, and the wooden gap is a good guide

This is a completely reasonable thing but, have you considered...

eating more bread?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Have you ever wanted your house to have a small town in the basement?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11610-Highland-Farm-Rd_Rockville_MD_20854_M63120-68542

I mean, if we all go in we can probably scrounge up a deposit?

I call shotgun on the real Jaguar E-type in the basement mini-town.

• Options
    Why do wealthy people have awfully garish tastes in things like wallpaper and decor?

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11610-Highland-Farm-Rd_Rockville_MD_20854_M63120-68542

Gotta say, I'm not used to looking at real estate listings that need to specify how many houses are included, along with beds and baths and square footages and such.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

There's no mention of this being a commercial property, is there? Like it's been sold as a house.

For you time travelers here, go back to 1985. I'll make a list. This might not be #1, but still...
    tw96g44kkwo8.png

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Movie theater has a double feature! Mary Poppins and The Exorcist! :)