As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GoT/ASoIaF]: Our Watch has Ended (Open Spoilers)

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I dunno im kind of happy they ended up with Cersei just being out of options. She did the best she could while protecting her family/kids. It fits her to a tee. Everything monstrous she did was to help/protect her family. It really is one of the better character developments from book to show.

If by best she could you mean fucked up at every turn and caused pretty much every bad thing that happened to her then sure.

That whole ending scene was ridiculous. Do they really expect us to feel bad for Cersei? What the fuck.

I didnt say it was perfect. I said she just did them for her family which is 100% true. She positioned herself to be be entrenched with what she thought would be a wall of death. But it turns out dragons are much more mobile than mounted ballistae and so having the element of surprise was paramount to the recent successes. After they were gone she was cornered.

Bullshit she did it for he own narcissism.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The thing here to remember is that D&D chose this.
    They had options. They could have had more, much more, but in their mind this was sufficient to tell a great story.

Some people.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I dunno im kind of happy they ended up with Cersei just being out of options. She did the best she could while protecting her family/kids. It fits her to a tee. Everything monstrous she did was to help/protect her family. It really is one of the better character developments from book to show.

If by best she could you mean fucked up at every turn and caused pretty much every bad thing that happened to her then sure.

That whole ending scene was ridiculous. Do they really expect us to feel bad for Cersei? What the fuck.

I didnt say it was perfect. I said she just did them for her family which is 100% true. She positioned herself to be be entrenched with what she thought would be a wall of death. But it turns out dragons are much more mobile than mounted ballistae and so having the element of surprise was paramount to the recent successes. After they were gone she was cornered.

Bullshit she did it for he own narcissism.

Hard disagree. Knowing her PoVs I would totes say otherwise.

One other thing that got me was how it pretty much vindicated that Dany was making poor decisions for a long while. Given time to prepare properly they destroyed the town with just one dragon. But she chose the dany way of going in hard and fast.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    That horse, having survived the gates, should have been long fucking gone.

But that horse didn't survive the gates. At least that's what I remember. There was definitely a horse laying dead on the ground and I don't recall there being anyone else on horseback.

So if that was intended to be that guy's horse, something went wrong with the editing.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    That horse, having survived the gates, should have been long fucking gone.

But that horse didn't survive the gates. At least that's what I remember. There was definitely a horse laying dead on the ground and I don't recall there being anyone lese on horseback.

So if that was intended to be that guy's horse, something went wrong with the editing.

I am basing it entirely on both horses having a cool emo haircut

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bold move to end the story on a note of "Well, nothing really matters."

Definitely needed those seven missing episodes.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Jon Snow: "I love you and you are my queen."
    Dany: "He doesn't love me"

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Why is it a 6 episode only season anyway? What was the reason for only going with 6 episodes?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    And bookJamie would never have pulled any of that shit.

Arrrgh.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

The scene went -
    Jon: you are my queen
    Dany: but is that all I am to you?
    *kiss while jon is holding back, no longer in love with his aunt*
    Dany: ok then

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Why is it a 6 episode only season anyway? What was the reason for only going with 6 episodes?

The show producers choose that, despite HBO wanting them to do more.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

The scene went -

I could've sworn he opened with "I love you."

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The scene went -

I love my wife, but there are times when I don't want to kiss her

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Even her rationale falls short.

"I'll have to settle for fear."

They can't fear you if they're all dead.

Not the people of the city. Everybody else in the 7 kingdoms. She basically single handedly sacked the biggest strongest fortification in the 7 kingdoms. The message being if I did this to kings landing what do you think I would be willing to do to anybody else who dares step out of line? That is ruling through fear.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Not the people of the city. Everybody else in the 7 kingdoms. She basically single handedly sacked the biggest strongest fortification in the 7 kingdoms. The message being if I did this to kings landing what do you think I would be willing to do to anybody else who dares step out of line? That is ruling through fear.

Yeah it totally worked for Aerys.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The scene went -

I love my wife, but there are times when I don't want to kiss her

This was not that, though. This was Jon unable to be romantically interested in Dany now that he knows he's related to her. He loves his queen, just not romantically.

Which is a really interesting turn for Dany considering now she fully understands how Jorah felt. Since this is the first time ever in her life that there was a man around her that didnt want to bone her. She's never had a situation where someone rejected her romantically.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Remember when Dany was upset at the Masters ruling through fear?

And how she wants there to be mercy for future generations? The mercy of not living in fear?

Dany forgot about that just like she forgot about the Iron Fleet.

• Options
    Khildith wrote: »
    What part of my comment is an Endgame spoiler?

Endgame spoilers!
    No trailers or pre-release media reveals that Endgame is about Time Travel. People theorized about it and such but if you don't follow things like drone footage of set photos from TMZ or whatever it would be easy to not know about it ahead of time. Just saying 'wonder if they'll go endgame' and then talking about time travel spoils plot points that don't show up in the movie until like a half an hour in.
    antman vs the wasp hits the time travel note so hard it is like a gong. It is clear from the end of ant man vs wasp that the likely outcome was scott getting back out of the quantum realm and they would be using that in some fashion to undo a lot of what was done given they had stated in antman and antman vs wasp that at the quantum realm level time is a much more flexible thing.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    It's awful. Dany's heel turn undermines the core theme of the series and the early seasons of the show. That whatever the claims of honor or virtue or the legitimate rules of succession, a system in which the only method of resolving conflict is violence will always result in horror. The taking of the city should have been the capstone for that thesis, and they could easily have made it that. Have her get impatient at a stalemate in the fighting at the keep. Or have her refuse a negotiated surrender that let Cersei and the remaining Lannister forces lay down arms and go into exile. Either could result in horrifying collateral damage while still being plausibly justifiable by someone in Dany's position, in this setting. And both preserve the proposition that there are no non-horrific outcomes in war. Just playing the "game of thrones" makes you complicit in horror.

Instead these idiots set up a cute little scenario in which the city is taken with a minimum of bloodshed, relatively speaking, and turn what should have been the most morally fraught and challenging moment in the show into a simple manichaean choice between Good and Evil. And whatever you think it does to the character of Daenerys, what it does to the story is reduce it to schlock. We're now on a path to where (presumably, admittedly), the bad people who do bad violence are all punished and/or killed, and the good people who do good violence (some of them, anyway) get to keep the kingdom and their virtue. No difficult reckoning with the inevitable horror of war, even if the war is just. The moral now is, don't be evil or insane?

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    I’m disappointed the Dany turn was so abrupt that people say it was stupid rather try to rationalize it.

Honestly in a way it was worse than Anakin’s heel turn. At least Anakin thought the Jedi were attempting a coup and made the wrong choice as to what side to support, even if he went to “lets kill kids” way too quickly from there.

Dany had basically won, the city was surrendering, the enemy was defeated, and then she all the sudden is like “oh, I won, wait there are some kids over there lets burn those fuckers.”

When she took off I was sure the way this was going down was she was going after the Red Keep directly. Then they cut the shot and no actually she's just carving up the city for some reason.

She's making it personal, you see.

what does that mean what does any of this mean

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

Yeah it totally worked for Aerys.

Aerys was batshit crazy. Most of the targaryans had led through fear and it had worked for a long period of time. An iron fisted tyrant who at least is sane and logical can be worked with. A rabid beast like aerys you can't work with and his own insanity makes it so that the only real option for survival is kill him before he kills you.

• Options
    Tyrion is basically the only thing left to tell well. He supported Dany because he believed she would be different. And now that he fully realizes how fucked everyone is and that he's partly responsible, we hopefully get to see how he deals with that. My money is on craps.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I’m disappointed the Dany turn was so abrupt that people say it was stupid rather try to rationalize it.

Honestly in a way it was worse than Anakin’s heel turn. At least Anakin thought the Jedi were attempting a coup and made the wrong choice as to what side to support, even if he went to “lets kill kids” way too quickly from there.

Dany had basically won, the city was surrendering, the enemy was defeated, and then she all the sudden is like “oh, I won, wait there are some kids over there lets burn those fuckers.”

When she took off I was sure the way this was going down was she was going after the Red Keep directly. Then they cut the shot and no actually she's just carving up the city for some reason.

Just ignore the post episode explanations. They aren’t real

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

How about we just ignore this whole season.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

What even was this scene?

What was she asking him? Why did him pulling away from a kiss mean she concluded Westeros would never love her? What was he planning to say to her when he went up there? He sure didn't seem to be there to offer her any kind of comfort. None of that conversation made any sense to me.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So, I'm down with how most of that went! The execution is busted, and the heel turn moment is poorly done, really needed the extra spice of seeing Jaime in a crowd and knowing Tyrion had betrayed her too. But the turn itself had been coming a long time, so Dany finally burninating the peasants in their thatch roofed cottages was good stuff.

Once again, hitting them cliff notes with none of the ground work in between. This is 100% gonna happen to Kings Landing. It 99% won't be because of an inopportune bell ringing

The part I really disliked; I guess the Scorpions kind of forgot they can kill dragons. The fuck happened there? Nothing changed between episodes to enable Dany and Drogon to better take them out. Was expecting some dragon armor at long last. Or maybe Drogon had sired babbys off screen to tip the odds. But no, the reason Dany is finally able to tip the scales is that... she wants to, now?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well you see, last time Dany was reminded that they have those. So this time she was ready for them and able to dodge them.

I'm still mad about Jaime. So he wasn't briefly abandoning Brienne to go restore some semblance of his honor by trying to take out Cersei, he just had sex with her and then went lol nope I guess I just prefer my evil sister. What the fuck.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Viskod wrote: »
    So I haven't been watching this season as is, I thought I'd wait and just binge it all but someone spoiled me on this episode and I didn't believe them at first because it sounded like they were obviously trolling me, but in the back of my mind I thought "no... no way.... but maybe... they wouldn't..."

So I youtube'd some clips and just oh my god.

That's how Cersei goes out? random rubble and assumed death? Though I wouldn't put it past this show for them to both have survived somehow at this point.

Don’t forget the totally out of character tears and begging

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    With inconsistencies like the scorpions I’m only going to get mad about one side of it. So the killing of rhaegal was dumb, while this episode was normal. It doesn’t mean both sides have to be bad

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I dont think Drogon is going to be happy losing his mother.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So, I'm down with how most of that went! The execution is busted, and the heel turn moment is poorly done, really needed the extra spice of seeing Jaime in a crowd and knowing Tyrion had betrayed her too. But the turn itself had been coming a long time, so Dany finally burninating the peasants in their thatch roofed cottages was good stuff.

Once again, hitting them cliff notes with none of the ground work in between. This is 100% gonna happen to Kings Landing. It 99% won't be because of an inopportune bell ringing

The part I really disliked; I guess the Scorpions kind of forgot they can kill dragons. The fuck happened there? Nothing changed between episodes to enable Dany and Drogon to better take them out. Was expecting some dragon armor at long last. Or maybe Drogon had sired babbys off screen to tip the odds. But no, the reason Dany is finally able to tip the scales is that... she wants to, now?

The scorpions on ships were a surprise to Danny, and us, the first time. This time she had a plan of attack for them.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Dickon was really the Prince That Was Promised. They just fucked it and this is what we get now.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    We needed at least 3-4 episodes of Dany being isolated and alone after losing Missandei. Her seeing real (Varys, Sansa) plots and fake (Jon) plots against her at every turn. Each one turning her more paranoid and convinced that even if she does sit on the throne it will be pulled right out from underneath her. We needed more time of seeing her fall into that paranoia and belief that she could only rule with more fear, so that when she was sitting on that wall it made sense that she was thinking "This is not enough. Their surrender is not enough to stop the plots. I need more to secure my throne. The war is over and I will never have another chance to show it. I need to show them once and for all that they should truly fear me."

Instead we got all of that inferred between episodes 4 and 5. With like maybe 10 total minutes dedicated to summing it up at the beginning of 5. Thats not enough to show her descent into madness.

I think that trying to say she went crazy "because of the bells" or it doesn't make sense "because she had already won the battle" feel like they are mischaracterizing the situation to make it easier to criticize. She didn't burn the city because of either of those. She did it very clearly because she was trying to inspire fear. Maybe to get revenge on a people that supported Cersei. She knew she had already won the battle for KL. She was thinking about the battle for the Throne at that point. And everything leading up to that was telling her that winning KL wasn't enough to securely hold the throne. She didn't care about the bells, aside from maybe it reminding her that the bells didn't save her father.

I haven't been as invested in Dany and always saw this coming, so the poor execution of her fall doesn't sting as much as it should. But I'm sympathetic to people who are reacting emotionally to this poor characterization of a character they are invested in because the same thing happened to Luke in TLJ, imo. So I get it. Hopefully the books do a better job of showing how we get from season 5 Dany to season 7 Dany.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Have any of the prophecies come true?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Even without that, why does she burn the city before the keep

Why doesn't she go straight for her enemy and destroy her

Why is it the bells ringing out surrender that triggers this character decision instead of something like seeing that Tyrion has betrayed her

It doesn't flow or make sense to me. And then when you hear the dude that wrote this episode state her motivation in that moment was "to make it personal" well that makes even less sense!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Cersei becoming queen and her children dying

Like, they went out of their way to open a season with a scene of girl Cersei getting the valonqar prophecy and 99% of it coming true and then pooped in our mouths for the last 1%

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    We needed at least 3-4 episodes of Dany being isolated and alone after losing Missandei. Her seeing real (Varys, Sansa) plots and fake (Jon) plots against her at every turn. Each one turning her more paranoid and convinced that even if she does sit on the throne it will be pulled right out from underneath her. We needed more time of seeing her fall into that paranoia and belief that she could only rule with more fear, so that when she was sitting on that wall it made sense that she was thinking "This is not enough. Their surrender is not enough to stop the plots. I need more to secure my throne. The war is over and I will never have another chance to show it. I need to show them once and for all that they should truly fear me."

Instead we got all of that inferred between episodes 4 and 5. With like maybe 10 total minutes dedicated to summing it up at the beginning of 5. Thats not enough to show her descent into madness.

I think that trying to say she went crazy "because of the bells" or it doesn't make sense "because she had already won the battle" feel like they are mischaracterizing the situation to make it easier to criticize. She didn't burn the city because of either of those. She did it very clearly because she was trying to inspire fear. Maybe to get revenge on a people that supported Cersei. She knew she had already won the battle for KL. She was thinking about the battle for the Throne at that point. And everything leading up to that was telling her that winning KL wasn't enough to securely hold the throne. She didn't care about the bells, aside from maybe it reminding her that the bells didn't save her father.

This is a whole lot of motivation that you have just made up of whole cloth here.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

The show producers choose that, despite HBO wanting them to do more.

I keep hearing this but I have been unable to find anything supporting it

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I hope Kathleen Kennedy is watching and D&D get sacked from Star Wars, same as
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Cersei becoming queen and her children dying

Like, they went out of their way to open a season with a scene of girl Cersei getting the valonqar prophecy and 99% of it coming true and then pooped in our mouths for the last 1%

The show never mentioned the other part of the prophecy.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options

What even was this scene?

What was she asking him? Why did him pulling away from a kiss mean she concluded Westeros would never love her? What was he planning to say to her when he went up there? He sure didn't seem to be there to offer her any kind of comfort. None of that conversation made any sense to me.

She was trying to find belief that she could rule through love. The episode was (poorly) trying to show that she believes no one loves her in Westeros. And if there is no love, then all thats left is to rule by fear. Jon was her last attempt to try and find real love that she could rule through. Jon couldn't give that to her, so she settled on fear.

And no, this isn't a woman scorned type of situation. Maybe partially, but not fully. I think she saw that she needed him actually at her side in a marriage, in order to securely have the throne. Otherwise, there would always be plots to put him on the throne instead of her.

This discussion has been closed.