As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    @Gaddez is that before or after the last patch, which supposedly balanced them?

From what I've read the balancing was both drastically slowing down the rate the additional enemy lances drop and reducing the number of defenders (removing either turrets or the defending lance) enemy gets. Haven't tried any yet myself since the patch though, not playing BT at the moment.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    @Gaddez is that before or after the last patch, which supposedly balanced them?

I'm guessing after since I played it a couple of days (and a sizable patch) ago.

Also, my lance looked like this for the two runs:
    Orion with 2 medium lasers AC20 with+20 damage and an SRM6 with boosted damage
    a catapult with LRM 20, LRM 15, extra ammo, 2 mediums and no jump jets
    A victor with AC20+20 damage, 2 mediums, SRM 4 and jump jets.
    A Shadowhawk with large laser, small laser, 3 SRM4

And in the second mission I swapped the shadowhawk for a thunderbolt with large laser, 2 mediums, LRM10, 3 machineguns with a ton of ammo.

I was up gunned over my opposition to be sure and if I'd faced more mediums I would have been bogged down for sure, but as it stands now you can credibly get it done imho with a medium lance and an aggressive approach; biggest trick is having all 4 buildings knocked down before the first wave of reinforcements arrive.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So I fired up Battletech today for a few more missions. Still running in the newbie area and taking 0.5 and 1 skull missions. One of the 1 skull missions was to defend a Mech Factory. The first group was a Firestarter, Commando, and Locust. My Lance of Blackjack (1LL, 3 ML), Panther (PPC, SRM4), Shadow Hawk (AC5, SRM4 and I think 2 ML), and Vindicator (PPC and LRM10) faced them off and before I could blow up the Firestarter the buildings were getting hit from behind by a Blackjack and Commando (took 2 rounds to move half my Lance to face them and see what was hitting the buildings). Luckily the AI took the building down to one shot then moved to the next building instead of blowing it up. But man was that stressful.

So question. If I store mechs, do I eventually lose them? Like once I lose my Leopard and get the Argo? Just wondering if I should just sell my Locusts and Commando.

Edit: I'm assuming I lose the Leopard since the story involves the Argo.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    You will never lose any mechs you have in storage. You don’t actually lose the Leopard, you just get the Argo as well.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    You will never lose any mechs you have in storage. You don’t actually lose the Leopard, you just get the Argo as well.

If you play long enough you'll have enough mechs to field a personal army big enough to conquer smaller periphery systems ... as long as you do it 4 mechs at a time, of course.

• Options
    Oooh awesome. My hoarding will be the death of me.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I finally started a new career after finishing the campaign and did not pay too much attention at setup.

Ironman mode is a harsh mistress.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I've been wanting to mess with some alternate missile stuff in Battletech, and since modding in a whole new weapon is an absolute, unmitigated pain in the ass, I have opted to skip MRMs (for now) and go with Inferno!

Basically what I did - Take the Valiant-branded SRMs (available in +2 and +3) and, instead of their standard damage values, changed them to +6/5/4 and +7/6/5 (damage/heat/stability).

I ... am going to need to adjust those values.

So I pulled out an old JM6-A from storage and slapped on the 4 Valiant launchers I had, giving each arm an SRM6++ and an SRM4+++. I then went out into a battle on New Vandenburg where I had to wipe out a lance or so of medium mechs. Certainly not at all a threat to my lance (Jagermech, Highlander, Cataphract, Orion), but I wanted a relatively safe environment to gather test data so I could evaluate those values.

The damage values are probably fine (stability too, honestly). But ... that heat. I was launching 20 missiles a turn that would add, in total, over 100 heat. Once all the enemies had actually gotten into sensor range, it was basically over. I shut down a mech almost every turn. Absolutely disgusting, and it was awesome!

Probably what I'll end up doing is making the +3s into a 6/5/4 and dropping the +2s to 5/4/3. Which is CRAP damage, you'll notice, but it pays a loooot of dividends because you're absolutely shutting down 'mechs.

Of course, mechanically speaking, the +6 heat per missile would be accurate, just it wouldn't do any damage instead. So maybe I'll have the +2 be something like 3/6/3, low damage but a LOT of heat damage, and the +3 will basically just be 4/8/4.

Or maybe I'll just personally limit myself to no more than 2 launchers per 'mech.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Inferno rounds should deal no damage, just heat. They are way overpowered with both.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Consider that the only other heat-dealing weapons in the game force you into point-blank range, are only available on a limited set of mechs with a limited number of slots (a bare few can support high quantities) and have limited ammunition for balance purposes.

A heat weapon with a 270m range needs to deal limited heat, limited damage (if any), and have limited ammunition if you don't want to break the game.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey, I came back to this game with the betrayal mission, and I forgot all the stuff about initiative and and avoidance. I'm educated about the whole BT universe, know about the kinds of weapons, heat, so on, but I can't really remember the stuff particular to this game. Is there a quick primer for that?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hey, I came back to this game with the betrayal mission, and I forgot all the stuff about initiative and and avoidance. I'm educated about the whole BT universe, know about the kinds of weapons, heat, so on, but I can't really remember the stuff particular to this game. Is there a quick primer for that?

Eck's Guide in the game's Steam community guides is probably the best place to start.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

Eck's Guide in the game's Steam community guides is probably the best place to start.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

There are a few things in the game like pilot skills that have changed since that was written, but still overall pretty good.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    A heat weapon with a 270m range needs to deal limited heat, limited damage (if any), and have limited ammunition if you don't want to break the game.

Boy, are the Cappies gonna fuck up that paradigm if we get expansions or sequels past the Clan Invasion.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Pilot skill changes remind me. Can someone explain to me how the "dump heat" skill (I can't remember its name) would help in a tactical scenario? The only thing I could think of is if you're doing something like an assassination mission and you need one final Alpha to finish off your target before your team is completely destroyed. Edit: Your heat generation increases by [number] for [a different number...4?] turns after using the skill, so I don't see it having an advantage in the middle or early parts of a mission.

Otherwise, I feel like I'd much rather have any of the other secondary skills (Master Tactician, Breaching Shot, Ace Pilot).

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Pilot skill changes remind me. Can someone explain to me how the "dump heat" skill (I can't remember its name) would help in a tactical scenario? The only thing I could think of is if you're doing something like an assassination mission and you need one final Alpha to finish off your target before your team is completely destroyed. Edit: Your heat generation increases by [number] for [a different number...4?] turns after using the skill, so I don't see it having an advantage in the middle or early parts of a mission.

Otherwise, I feel like I'd much rather have any of the other secondary skills (Master Tactician, Breaching Shot, Ace Pilot).

Even with the slight heat increase later on, it's still a net heat loss. And it doesn't take an action to use so you just use it all the time when you have excess heat and in effect it gives you a few heatsink's worth of utility.

• Options
    Yeah, the heat dump is great. Plus getting all that available heat sooner rather than later often let's you take a mech or tank or even one pesky weapon offline sooner, reducing overall incoming damage.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I don't have many spare mechs in the bay because I opt to sell them instead of taking cash pay outs for missions. I'm basically a used battlemech salesman.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Even with the slight heat increase later on, it's still a net heat loss. And it doesn't take an action to use so you just use it all the time when you have excess heat and in effect it gives you a few heatsink's worth of utility.

It works out to 2 extra heatsinks over its 4 turn cooldown. But that 50 point instant drop is far more useful than 2 real heatsinks would be. Although I personally rank it below Master Tactician and Breaching Shot in overall usefulness. Except on Martian biomes where there's poor heat dissipation and less cover, then it overtakes Breaching Shot.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I don't have many spare mechs in the bay because I opt to sell them instead of taking cash pay outs for missions. I'm basically a used battlemech salesman.

I usually sell off unwanted parts as well because it makes it easier to see what I have and how close I am to completing something.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I pack dual AC20+++. Breaching shot can suck it!

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    i mean a +++ ac/20 is basically self-breaching

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I usually sell off unwanted parts as well because it makes it easier to see what I have and how close I am to completing something.

I.....didn't even know you could sell parts. I thought it was only full mechs. Now all the shit in my Light Mech section is getting liquidated.

• Options
    Cooling Heat is higher for me than Breaching Shot. I almost always want more alpha (and I can build my mechs accordingly if I know I have it.) Situations where I only want to fire one weapon are less common. I guess the key exception is the LRMer in the back, throwing LRM15-20 at 2-3 targets and getting full damage & stability for each. Except for a couple of Bulwark/Sensor Lock/Master Tactician pilot, almost all my pilots are Multi-shot/Bulwark/Cooling Thingy.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I pack dual AC20+++. Breaching shot can suck it!

60% damage reduction laughs at your dual AC20! Your two shots do less damage than a single Breaching Shot.

• Options
    This bug is hilarious if it is true.

If somebody doesn't want to visit reddit the TLDR is that since the patch the game tends to pick its mechs from the start of the alphabet.

• Options

If somebody doesn't want to visit reddit the TLDR is that since the patch the game tends to pick its mechs from the start of the alphabet.

A is for Awesome, that is a hilarious bug if true

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Consider that the only other heat-dealing weapons in the game force you into point-blank range, are only available on a limited set of mechs with a limited number of slots (a bare few can support high quantities) and have limited ammunition for balance purposes.

*has very hilariously fond flashbacks to Inferno SRM missile boats in Mech 2 Mercenaries*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Damnit, now I got a great idea for an alphabet book for my daughter!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Note to self: rename Orion to "AOrion"

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Nips wrote: »

Just remember you can't put in "D is for Daddy's Locust" and "L is for Locust".

Edit: If you do make a Battletech Alphabet Book you need to send a copy to Catalyst.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Edit: If you do make a Battletech Alphabet Book you need to send a copy to Catalyst.

"X" will be a pain. From what I could dig up on Sarna, the only mech that starts with an "X" is a quadrupedal design (the Xanthos).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

"X" will be a pain. From what I could dig up on Sarna, the only mech that starts with an "X" is a quadrupedal design (the Xanthos).

XL engine

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

XL engine

I thought we were talking about an alphabet book of mechs not just general mech tech.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

Xanthos is a Good Boy. 11/10, would trust with my Gauss Rifle.

• Options

XL engine

I thought we were talking about an alphabet book of mechs not just general mech tech.

Honestly, I need to be training her in all aspects of Battlemechs.

...I'll need her to take over paper-pushing duties one day, and you need to know your Ferro-Fibrous from your Endo-Steel!

• Options

XL engine

...I'll need her to take over paper-pushing duties one day, and you need to know your Ferro-Fibrous from your Endo-Steel!

And don't forget your SHS, DHS, cDHS, laser-HS 8-)

• Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular

XL engine

Whoa whoa whoa.. Kid is what, 1? Let's focus on the core knowledge of Pew vs Bang and build up to this algebraic stuff.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Redspo0n wrote: »

XL engine

Whoa whoa whoa.. Kid is what, 1? Let's focus on the core knowledge of Pew vs Bang and build up to this algebraic stuff.

That was years ago, when we were kids.

By the age of 1 most kids already know Pre-Calc.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »

XL engine

That was years ago, when we were kids.

By the age of 1 most kids already know Pre-Calc.

Really? I still get my Pew and Bang confused sometimes...

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n