As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    This bug is hilarious if it is true.

If somebody doesn't want to visit reddit the TLDR is that since the patch the game tends to pick its mechs from the start of the alphabet.

A is for Awesome, that is a hilarious bug if true

Damnit, now I got a great idea for an alphabet book for my daughter!

Just remember you can't put in "D is for Daddy's Locust" and "L is for Locust".

Edit: If you do make a Battletech Alphabet Book you need to send a copy to Catalyst.

"X" will be a pain. From what I could dig up on Sarna, the only mech that starts with an "X" is a quadrupedal design (the Xanthos).

XL engine

I thought we were talking about an alphabet book of mechs not just general mech tech.

Honestly, I need to be training her in all aspects of Battlemechs.

...I'll need her to take over paper-pushing duties one day, and you need to know your Ferro-Fibrous from your Endo-Steel!

And don't forget your SHS, DHS, cDHS, laser-HS 8-)

Whoa whoa whoa.. Kid is what, 1? Let's focus on the core knowledge of Pew vs Bang and build up to this algebraic stuff.

That was years ago, when we were kids.

By the age of 1 most kids already know Pre-Calc.

And starting the advanced education early is how we prepare the future freeborn mechwarriors for the fight against the Clans!

edit - wait...but I am the Clans. oh crap... uh, nevermind, ignore everything I've said!

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    "Erlkönig wrote:
    edit - wait...but I am the Clans. oh crap... uh, nevermind, ignore everything I've said!

That reminds me: What's your favorite and/or favored ride on the Clan 'Mech side?

I need to know...for reasons.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    "Erlkönig wrote:

That reminds me: What's your favorite and/or favored ride on the Clan 'Mech side?

To quote Scott Krinsky's character Jeff Barnes in Chuck:

"How can I choose when there are so many tasty options?"

If I went by most time spent in MWO, it'd be a tie between Ebon Jaguar and Marauder IIC. And my personal preference is also equally split between the two. I think, in my heart of hearts, I'm ever so slightly leaning towards the Marauder IIC (because, yeah, on both sides of the IS and Clans, I'm a Marauder pilot).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    "Erlkönig wrote:

To quote Scott Krinsky's character Jeff Barnes in Chuck:

"How can I choose when there are so many tasty options?"

If I went by most time spent in MWO, it'd be a tie between Ebon Jaguar and Marauder IIC. And my personal preference is also equally split between the two. I think, in my heart of hearts, I'm ever so slightly leaning towards the Marauder IIC (because, yeah, on both sides of the IS and Clans, I'm a Marauder pilot).

I would have jumped in if you didn't say the Marauder IIc. Yeah you can make an Ebon Jaguar work like nobody's business. In fact I copied your build at one point and could never do the work in it like you did.

But you in a Marauder IIc is like watching God Mode sometimes. One example was a few of us were alive on Rubellite and the enemy was still mostly alive. Well if anything they out numbered us 2 to 1. You took out 3 or so before you went down and I could only watch in amazement as you danced below the shut down threshold and spread enemy damage across the remaining red parts of armor. This is just one example, but yeah there are much more stories of you taking out 2 or 3 more when you should have been dead.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    *Checks a box in a document*
    *Quietly pushes a paper into a stack of folders*

Excellent.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Man ECM is so good, I'm taking on missions way above my tonnage rating just by manipulating the ECM field correctly.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I've bought current Humble Monthly Bundle, but I guess I will wait with actually playing it until I buy dlcs on a winter sale or something like that. I know that I propably do not even need tem yet, as they are mostly for the endgame, but what can I say, I am a weird person.

Are there any mods worth installing for the first playthrough, that would add some cool things (like new squadmate events or voicepacks) without overhauling the entire game (as I assume Roguetech does)?

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I've bought current Humble Monthly Bundle, but I guess I will wait with actually playing it until I buy dlcs on a winter sale or something like that. I know that I propably do not even need tem yet, as they are mostly for the endgame, but what can I say, I am a weird person.

Are there any mods worth installing for the first playthrough, that would add some cool things (like new squadmate events or voicepacks) without overhauling the entire game (as I assume Roguetech does)?

I wouldn't install any mods for my first campaign playthrough. Well, except maybe the panic system because it is hilarious, but looks like the Nexus version isn't up to date so you'd need to go hunt for the latest version from github or whatever. And maybe these if you like fancier portraits.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Man ECM is so good, I'm taking on missions way above my tonnage rating just by manipulating the ECM field correctly.

ECM is still basically cheat mode invisibility. I played all of Fallout 3 with the Chinese Stealth Armor so I'm not judging, but it totally trivializes combat. And combat is all there is to this game.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

ECM is still basically cheat mode invisibility. I played all of Fallout 3 with the Chinese Stealth Armor so I'm not judging, but it totally trivializes combat. And combat is all there is to this game.

I mean, you can still die pretty easily with it if you don't use it right. The only one who stays invisible unless you don't want them to be is the one carrying the ECM itself and enemies will usually bum-rush someone into the field and negate that anyway. It adds tactical depth to the game aside from "walk toward enemy with your biggest mechs and shoot them in the back if you can". Things like deciding if you want to leave the bubble to get a better shot, refraining from firing so you'll remain cloaked and won't draw fire, deliberately uncloaking your damage sponges so they can draw fire away from more vulnerable units etc.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Even for a first playthrough I'd recommend these general QoL mods:
    Battletech Performance Fix - significantly reduces the load times of mechbay and store.
    Attack Improvement Mod - change colors and line styles of targeting info to make it far easier to tell what's what. Also changes some of the attack mechanics and stats.
    MechSpin - lets you spin your mechs around in the mechbay.

For AIM, make sure you go through its settings and turn off any mechanical changes you think you don't want. The changes can be subtle, but it is different from the stock game. The UI changes you'll want to keep though.

I'd leave other mods for subsequent playthroughs or career mode. But you can browse nexusmods for what's out there if you want more for the first run.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

I wouldn't install any mods for my first campaign playthrough. Well, except maybe the panic system because it is hilarious, but looks like the Nexus version isn't up to date so you'd need to go hunt for the latest version from github or whatever. And maybe these if you like fancier portraits.

Those portraits are beautiful, but Glitch looks too somber, Behemoth looks too much like Commander Shepard, and Dekker looks either too old or not dead enough.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    htm wrote: »

Those portraits are beautiful, but Glitch looks too somber, Behemoth looks too much like Commander Shepard, and Dekker looks either too old or not dead enough.

I honestly don't think those replacement portraits are an improvement. Sidegrades at best, at which point why bother?

Nips on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

I honestly don't think those replacement portraits are an improvement. Sidegrades at best, at which point why bother?

I think they're very well done, but they don't entirely match the match the game. I understand why someone would want to use them, though. It's always been kind of weird that the 4 starting campaign ronin have rendered rather than illustrated portraits, like the other ronin and backer pilots.

• Options
    Greetings, MechWarrior. You have been recruited by the Oosiks to defend the Periphery States against PGI and the Clan Invasion.

So tonight we ride off into the sunset. Power up your Mechs because we're going in hot. Oosik Night ho!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Greetings, MechWarrior. You have been recruited by the Oosiks to defend the Periphery States against PGI and the Clan Invasion.

So tonight we ride off into the sunset. Power up your Mechs because we're going in hot. Oosik Night ho!

Depending on the particular state, this could end very badly.

• Options
    I will admit I was reaching by the time I got to that part of the quote. Should have used a different quote.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Listen, I'm not saying it's a bad plan! The Oosiks were founded on the back of supporting lost causes.

See also: Rasalhague

• Options
    Why the FRR slipped my mind is beyond me at this time. I'd blame work, but it isn't stressful right now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Jeebuz, theres a chance I might actually be home and free to drop tonight!

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Ok, so I jumped a bit early and loaded up the dropship. Dropping now and seeing if I can save the FRR from the Kodan Armada.

Also, the 2019 Annual Rewards is up.
    We have had to change the program this year due to artists time spent working on MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.
    This means no new variants this year, however, we make up for the lack of new variants with the variety of choice.

Players who qualify for this year's rewards have the option to select Hero 'Mechs as well as reward 'Mechs from previous years Rewards Programs. Maybe you want a second version of a specific reward 'Mech? or you can grab one that you missed out on qualifying in a previous year! Either way, there is a ton of C-Bill Boosted 'Mechs to choose from!

We appreciate all the support and passion that players have shown us for MechWarrior Online!

If that does not say they're just keeping the lights on then I don't know what is. Apparently I bought something and get my choice of an IS mech.
    1 IS Medium Hero or IS Medium Loyalty Mech (from Previous Years Reward Programs) - 1 Mech bay included

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Crap, forgot to ping everybody.

@Erlkönig @Nobody @Elvenshae @Redspo0n @Maijinamuro

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’ll be on in a few, need to look at those mech options...

• Options
    Huh...this makes sense. I guess I get my choice of:

1x Light (IS or Clan) hero/loyalty mech
    1x IS Medium hero/loyalty
    1x Clan Medium hero/loyalty

I have no idea what to select. For the light, I was thinking the Piranha Cipher (theorycrafted a build last night that might be interesting). But the mediums? Aside from a Hellspawn, I have all the ones I actually want >.<

• Options
    Well tonight was not a great night. Had some wins, but more losses. Thanks for the group @Nobody and @Maijinamuro . Maybe next week we'll get them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Sorry for not joining. I heard defend the Inner Sphere from Clan invasion and figured I wasn't invited.

:P

For realsies though, my brother got home early and, when you guys were dropping in your stompy mechs, we were defending the frontier with our titanfalls.

• Options
    Tell your brother he needs to pilot a real mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh, I tried. But I think us getting tossed in the group queue combined with the grind of will (from the repeated losses) and slow rate of cbill gain kind of got to him. Also, the whole lack of respawning was a rude and unwelcome awakening for him.

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Some more gushing on about BT Extented 3025. I finally upgraded to a third mech bay and the final mech tech level and now I can cobble together mechs from parts of different models! Now if I can just find some more assassination missions and climb my way out of heavys. The second I go for 3.5 pip missions the two to one odds with greater odds of LRMs just is too high a mountain to climb. My Grasshopper getting focus fired by 6 or so LRM15s a turn kinda harshes my mellow, especially when half of them are coming from reinforcements I don't even have sensor blips on. at least I'm in good with the pirates so when I see that Star League Highlander I might be able to afford it. Got my +20dmg AC20s on deck for when I get to the big boys.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    This alphabetical thing may have some merit...... I've been facing off against a LOT of Commandos in this new career. Like, a LOT.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    This alphabetical thing may have some merit...... I've been facing off against a LOT of Commandos in this new career. Like, a LOT.

At first the idea appealed to me, as I feel like I've seen an uncommon amount of Blackjacks, Cicadas and Catapults since the patch. But I've also seen what feels like an uncommon number of Trebuchets, so who knows. Human perception of distribution is pretty flawed, you know?
    ...although the more I think about it, I've seen 2 Black Knights and 0 Orions in the 75 ton bracket since the patch. And a quick base assault on dessert last night had 2 Centurions in the garrison and a third in the reinforcements. And on that high loss mission against two opposing lances each with an assault, it was an Atlas and a Cyclops...

Hmm...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It's definitely a thing.

The devs have confirmed that the newer version of Unity that they updated the game to broke/changed the shuffle command (within Unity itself) and so that broke some of the things that are randomly generated.

• Options

Oh, I tried. But I think us getting tossed in the group queue combined with the grind of will (from the repeated losses) and slow rate of cbill gain kind of got to him. Also, the whole lack of respawning was a rude and unwelcome awakening for him.

Yeah, unfortunately it is not a game that is forgiving with all those issues.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    It's definitely a thing.

The devs have confirmed that the newer version of Unity that they updated the game to broke/changed the shuffle command (within Unity itself) and so that broke some of the things that are randomly generated.

Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of "never update your IDE mid-project". I'd heard about that sort of failure in Gamemaker, but in Unity's a new one to me.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Yeah, unfortunately it is not a game that is forgiving with all those issues.

I didn’t think the cbills thing was too bad when I started.

Group queue is a major issue for the game though, grouping up to get farmed by 12 mans practicing for comp doesn’t help for when you’re trying to show somebody the ropes. I’m kinda torn on if they should just combine the two queues or not now. There’s so many sync droppers anyway in QP and major stomps happen often enough it’s hard to see a difference.

• Options
    That's good that the C-Bills grind wasn't that bad. I know a while ago it really sucked. So much so that we would try to recommend a good starter mech to make it easier.

Yeah I'm wondering when they will just dump the single drop players with the groups queue.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    That's good that the C-Bills grind wasn't that bad. I know a while ago it really sucked. So much so that we would try to recommend a good starter mech to make it easier.

Yeah I'm wondering when they will just dump the single drop players with the groups queue.

If the player population keeps sliding the way it is, they're probably going to have to merge the queues anyways. Just looking at Steam player counts, there aren't enough people to fill out 20 concurrent matches (30-day average is a shade over 400 players).

• Options
    edited September 2019

Solution: Limit groups to a Lance, consolidate the Solo and Group queues into one bucket, only allow for the matchmaker to put one group on each team. Optional: Reduce teams back to 8-mans.

Corollary: Ignore the whining and bitching from comp teams, telling them it's either this or the game shuts down due to lack of a playerbase. If a comp team wants to practice, they've got the Private matches to handle that.

Nips on
  • Options
    You know I completely forgot about Private Matches. If we have enough people on we should set up a private match to have some random laughs if the queues get too long.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    It’s crazy, I absolutely do not need the xp or cbills but the lack of them in private matches always turns me away

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski