As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    BT:

Apparently Gausszilla is possible with an Annihilator 1A. You'll have tissue paper for armor and only 3 tons of ammo, but it can be done.
    d7buzfxl8g71.jpg

Nobody on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fucking hell, I didn't know you could stuff that many gauss rifles into any goddamn thing.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Fucking hell, I didn't know you could stuff that many gauss rifles into any goddamn thing.

I mean, look at the armor

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

The legend of Gausszilla, passed down the ages

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

I mean, look at the armor

You don't even need armor. Just slap 3 tanks in front of it to soak up damage and precision strike from beyond visual range of the OPFOR.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    How are you guys building your marauders? I tried the mortar for the first time last night but it didn’t seem to do much to the two mediums I fired it at. Should I pull it off and add more guns?

Also, where the hell do I find rail gun ammo? I’ve seen the guns for sale but zero actual ammo.

I loaded up mine with a UAC10 and 4 ML.

I switched mine last night from UAC10 + 4 ML to 2xUAC5 + 2 ER MLs. Hoooooly cow. This thing is a headshotting machine.

Headshot Marauder is pretty OP. I can imagine keeping it in the Alpha Lance roster even when I'm flush with Highlanders, Atli and King Crabs.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    How are you guys building your marauders? I tried the mortar for the first time last night but it didn’t seem to do much to the two mediums I fired it at. Should I pull it off and add more guns?

Also, where the hell do I find rail gun ammo? I’ve seen the guns for sale but zero actual ammo.

I switched mine last night from UAC10 + 4 ML to 2xUAC5 + 2 ER MLs. Hoooooly cow. This thing is a headshotting machine.

Headshot Marauder is pretty OP. I can imagine keeping it in the Alpha Lance roster even when I'm flush with Highlanders, Atli and King Crabs.

Besides the headshots it also has that +10% damage reduction thing. Not sure why they thought that it needed two really good perks.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

Besides the headshots it also has that +10% damage reduction thing. Not sure why they thought that it needed two really good perks.

Because old fanboys have a hard-on for the chassis, is my guess.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

It really is stupid. I have a 35% chance on Precision Strike. Even with only one Gauss Rifle that still gets me insta-kills every other mission.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    How DO you set up a Marauder? I have one, and the config it came from seemed basically unusable. Three PPCs is just an impracticable amount of heat in a game where I feel you can't really miss many turns because the times you're not outnumbered are precious rare snowflakes that melt in the harsh sun of bullshit reinforcements.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    How DO you set up a Marauder? I have one, and the config it came from seemed basically unusable. Three PPCs is just an impracticable amount of heat in a game where I feel you can't really miss many turns because the times you're not outnumbered are precious rare snowflakes that melt in the harsh sun of bullshit reinforcements.

Gauss or UAC10 + 4 ML. Then head shot away.
    If you're really ballsy, slap a UAC20 on there.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

...and for people who have not seen a single U-anything or a Gauss Rifle beyond the highlander they give you in the story?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options

...and for people who have not seen a single U-anything or a Gauss Rifle beyond the highlander they give you in the story?

Visit a mining system and check for autocannons. Or use a plain old +damage AC10 and 4x 35 damage MLs. In general you'll want weapons that do at least 65 damage (not a lot of those) and weapons that do 35-45 so two hits is enough to headshot.

Or use whatever weapons you happen to have, forget about the completely overpowered headshot bonus and just use it for the 10% damage reduction.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Marauder's stock config is not 2 x PPC, 2 x ML, and an AC5?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    That’s the set up for the MAD-3R.

Might be a variant like the MAD-3D which swaps the AC for a large laser? I can’t find a full list of variants they put in.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    That’s the set up for the MAD-3R.

Might be a variant like the MAD-3D which swaps the AC for a large laser? I can’t find a full list of variants they put in.

https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Battlemechs is pretty up to date I think. I can't remember seeing anything other than the -3R in game.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    So this hard campaign is.... Grueling. Needing to have 6 parts for a new mech is rough when you get blown to hell almost every mission. And stingy cash really makes buying parts not an option. I wish there was a way to make 6 parts for a mech default, have those mechs put together from parts have no equipment, but make heads shots give the full 6 pieces if the rest of it is in decent shape. Basically I wish parts were more granular. All torsos, legs and arms count as 1 piece each and whatever you blow up gets subtracted.

And just to prove my point: I had back to back missions where i shot off the face of a Panther and Jenner, but sadly i dont get a full mech out of it. Oh well.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    So this hard campaign is.... Grueling. Needing to have 6 parts for a new mech is rough when you get blown to hell almost every mission. And stingy cash really makes buying parts not an option. I wish there was a way to make 6 parts for a mech default, have those mechs put together from parts have no equipment, but make heads shots give the full 6 pieces if the rest of it is in decent shape. Basically I wish parts were more granular. All torsos, legs and arms count as 1 piece each and whatever you blow up gets subtracted.

There's mods that do this but I'm not sure if they work with 1.8 yet.

Personally I'm going to wait a few months before doing a modded career next, there's a fair number of minor bugs in the game currently which they might patch, which might break mods again and a fair number of the mods I like don't work with even 1.8 yet.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, salvage would be so much more enjoyable by making it more interactive and have some resource management involved. Mechs of the same weight class should basically have the same generic "bones", then add on things like the version-specific fusion engines and hardpoint configurations. And you should be fully able to make Frankenmechs if you so choose, as long as you're willing to put up with things like a Jagermech with ballistic points on one side and missile points on the other side but half the points will randomly fail to reload properly because of the jury-rigged setup.

Would lead to great stuff like people combining that 1/3 Atlas and 2/3 King Crab bones plus gutting a heavy for the engine to make an Annihilator from the hardpoints they've got stockpiled, but they've got mixed parts from two Annihilators and end up with something that can only reliably fire AC/2s but they generate 50% extra heat.

EDIT: Getting different "grades" of mech versions you can build would also be something interesting. Make it so you can wheel and deal to get mech blueprints, with better blueprints giving you things like the bonus modules on the Heavy Metal mechs. Think the old Banshee versions suck? Oh look, here's a mission that rewarded you with a blueprint for a Banshee-plus with improved movement and melee strength, so now it can actually murder-tackle stuff.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MWO

switched my PNT-10K(S) to a dual snPPC and AMS build.

Kids, let me tell you, dual snPPC with a total +30 velocity are pretty damn close to hitscan in optimal and do naughty things to stealth lights who try to chew up your assaults.

I had a match last night where I was up against a certain hot shit stealth flea pilot and he couldn’t get anything done because the minute he set his eyes on the back of one of my assaults he had open components and his ECM was turned off for several seconds.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    If I'm in 2 drops in on a 3 drop Flashpoint, can I can travel away and come back later?

Almost all my pilots are hurt in various degrees (damn missile swarms and knockdowns) and maybe some travel time is needed to heal some of them up so I can actually drop a full lance for part 3 of the Flashpoint.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If I'm in 2 drops in on a 3 drop Flashpoint, can I can travel away and come back later?

Almost all my pilots are hurt in various degrees (damn missile swarms and knockdowns) and maybe some travel time is needed to heal some of them up so I can actually drop a full lance for part 3 of the Flashpoint.

Good question. I have idled in orbit for mech repairs or pilot healing between Flashpoint missions before, but I've never traveled away.

Are you playing ironman? If not, make a save and give it a try. (And report back! :wink: )

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options

Why travel when you can just idle in orbit? Or you can hire a new pilot or two and then fire them later, a lot cheaper than long periods of idling.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO

Kids, let me tell you, dual snPPC with a total +30 velocity are pretty damn close to hitscan in optimal and do naughty things to stealth lights who try to chew up your assaults.

I had a match last night where I was up against a certain hot shit stealth flea pilot and he couldn’t get anything done because the minute he set his eyes on the back of one of my assaults he had open components and his ECM was turned off for several seconds.

Dangit, why did I never think about this. I've always run mine as either 2ERPPCs or 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s (for anti light). Never thought of running it as a 2snPPC...

Can you link your build and skill tree here so I can be lazy and copy/paste?

ALSO IT IS OOSIK NIGHT!!! Anybody going to be around for some possible Solaris 7 matches?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO

Dangit, why did I never think about this. I've always run mine as either 2ERPPCs or 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s (for anti light). Never thought of running it as a 2snPPC...

Can you link your build and skill tree here so I can be lazy and copy/paste?

ALSO IT IS OOSIK NIGHT!!! Anybody going to be around for some possible Solaris 7 matches?

Will do so tonight, I might be available as well.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, salvage would be so much more enjoyable by making it more interactive and have some resource management involved. Mechs of the same weight class should basically have the same generic "bones", then add on things like the version-specific fusion engines and hardpoint configurations.

dem bones in a Cicada are not going to fit in an Assassin.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Christ you guys are right. The Marauder is damn near its own cheat code. Just did a quick 3-star contract against 2 lances + turrets. Only one mech didn't die to headshots.

I'm still hunting for UACs since my pirate rep is stupid low. But still, AC/5+, UAC/2+, AC/2++, 2*ERML just straight murders.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Christ you guys are right. The Marauder is damn near its own cheat code. Just did a quick 3-star contract against 2 lances + turrets. Only one mech didn't die to headshots.

I'm still hunting for UACs since my pirate rep is stupid low. But still, AC/5+, UAC/2+, AC/2++, 2*ERML just straight murders.

Does the Maurader special component stack? Could I take 4 Mauraders and just headshot everything?

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Apogee wrote: »

Does the Maurader special component stack? Could I take 4 Mauraders and just headshot everything?

You don't need Marauders to headshot things. Instead take a mech with TAG++ and an Annihilator filled with UAC5s. Tag a target and now with Annie's perk all those AC5 shots are hitting for 65 and can decapitate in one hit. The only downside to this is that you'll core the target too if it isn't a pristine assault mech. :P

• Options

The Marauder's -damage bonus is for the whole lance, but the +targeted shot bonus is only for the Marauder. There are, in this case, limits on the absurdity. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

The Marauder's -damage bonus is for the whole lance, but the +targeted shot bonus is only for the Marauder. There are, in this case, limits on the absurdity. :)

The lance damage reduction doesn't stack either. Otherwise it would be possible to be immune to damage in some cases.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

The lance damage reduction doesn't stack either. Otherwise it would be possible to be immune to damage in some cases.

The lance damage reduction is multiplicative with bracing, cover and Bulwark so if you have 40% from cover + Bulwark and get hit by a PPC, you take 27 damage (50-20, then 30-3). I have tried and tested this. So even if it did stack (which would be absurd), you'd still take 24 damage from an AC20 shot if braced in cover with Bulwark and 4 Marauders.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular

The lance damage reduction is multiplicative with bracing, cover and Bulwark so if you have 40% from cover + Bulwark and get hit by a PPC, you take 27 damage (50-20, then 30-3). I have tried and tested this. So even if it did stack (which would be absurd), you'd still take 24 damage from an AC20 shot if braced in cover with Bulwark and 4 Marauders.
    Correct, it just doesn't stack with itself. More Marauders do not cause further damage reduction.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    I did another "we put a noble in a Cicada" contract. I want to say 3.5 stars but it may have been 3. Marauder took on an entire lance while the other three took on the ambush lance (me: "fuck it let's try it")

It headshot half the lance before I started backing off from a particularly tenacious Hunchback. Still finished by killing 3 mechs itself and single handedly holding off one side of the map, but I lost an arm and its ERML.

I.....kinda want to bring it on 4 and 5 star contracts, and use my Atlii and Bull Shark for cover.

Also note to self: don't store your only MG ammo in one arm of your Grasshopper, then use that arm to absorb damage.

• Options
    I did another "we put a noble in a Cicada" contract. I want to say 3.5 stars but it may have been 3. Marauder took on an entire lance while the other three took on the ambush lance (me: "fuck it let's try it")

It headshot half the lance before I started backing off from a particularly tenacious Hunchback. Still finished by killing 3 mechs itself and single handedly holding off one side of the map, but I lost an arm and its ERML.

I.....kinda want to bring it on 4 and 5 star contracts, and use my Atlii and Bull Shark for cover.

Also note to self: don't store your only MG ammo in one arm of your Grasshopper, then use that arm to absorb damage.

Mine is doing great up to 4.5 skulls so far as a workhorse component of a King Crab / Atlas / Marauder / Stalker A-Team.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Holy Shit, the Raven Flashpoint
    What a shitshow.
    I put my Commander in the Raven (Bulwark, Sensors) and pick up the three rag-tag-alongs I get.
    By the time I've cleared the two lances of defenders, my tagalong Griffin and my Commander's Raven are both downed, and I've got half a laser Javelin and a Trebuchet with one full salvo of missiles and 20% of a CT.

The four turrets around the R&D station were the most fucking terrifying things I've had to deal with with such a broken lance. Thank god they were only light-class, and 4-5 Medium Lasers could down one each. I slowly picked my way through the city, downing one turret at a time, trying to minimize return fire.

And I actually pulled it off. Yeeeeuch.

[Edit] I love that all my crew are like "Yeaaah, boy, good job on that mission!"....while my CO is taking an 83 day leave of absence, and the "prototype" Raven he was piloting was a smoking crater in the sidewalk at the end of that last mission. Seriously, both side torsos gone, a leg, and the CT for good measure; there's barely enough left to make a flatware set.

And the "Rare" weapon from my Flashpoint lootbox was a SL++....goddamn it.

That's the last time I'm working for the Mariks!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Holy Shit, the Raven Flashpoint
    What a shitshow.
    I put my Commander in the Raven (Bulwark, Sensors) and pick up the three rag-tag-alongs I get.
    By the time I've cleared the two lances of defenders, my tagalong Griffin and my Commander's Raven are both downed, and I've got half a laser Javelin and a Trebuchet with one full salvo of missiles and 20% of a CT.

The four turrets around the R&D station were the most fucking terrifying things I've had to deal with with such a broken lance. Thank god they were only light-class, and 4-5 Medium Lasers could down one each. I slowly picked my way through the city, downing one turret at a time, trying to minimize return fire.

And I actually pulled it off. Yeeeeuch.

[Edit] I love that all my crew are like "Yeaaah, boy, good job on that mission!"....while my CO is taking an 83 day leave of absence, and the "prototype" Raven he was piloting was a smoking crater in the sidewalk at the end of that last mission. Seriously, both side torsos gone, a leg, and the CT for good measure; there's barely enough left to make a flatware set.

And the "Rare" weapon from my Flashpoint lootbox was a SL++....goddamn it.

That's the last time I'm working for the Mariks!

It used to be easier but then they fixed the AI to be more aggressive about the ECM and now it's a real pain in the ass even when you know what to expect. It gets easier if you push to the west first before you engage any enemies but there's no way of knowing that when you do it the first time. Doesn't help that they give you that crappy Griffon with a PPC and LRM10, that's one of the worst stock mediums IMO.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    They improved the AI for ECM? About time. The Raven so completely broke the AI that I stopped bringing it unless I wanted to cheat.

• Options
    I don't understand why they give you stock loadout mechs for some of these. Set a tonnage limit and resign to the fact that the players can do better. Hell, set a limit of "no plus" or "no Lostech" and we could probably build better lances.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

Why travel when you can just idle in orbit? Or you can hire a new pilot or two and then fire them later, a lot cheaper than long periods of idling.

To check shops and/or black markets?